I went through this season's footage to save the highlights before deleting hours of onboard video and thought you might enjoy this.

This was our second season with the new boat and it felt like learning to sail all over again. After a typical hot summer without wind last year we had plenty this time. Never thought that tacking a boat would be a problem again. In the end it was great fun. Here is proof that we eventually learned how to do it. Still not able to pull this of in waves though :D

• Like 12

Interesting in your first video that the crew doesn't use the mainsheet to pull himself back to the boat in a teabag .

I teach non sailors to sail twin wire skiffs and that's the first lesson; never let go of the mainsheet in a teabag and use it to quickly pull yourself back aboard (after explaining to the younger generation that 'teabag' is an old sailing term, we had it first, use it more literally and they shouldn't giggle when we use the term :rolleyes:).

That's not to say we don't have more than our share of bloopers. The group's Facebook page has more than a few blooper videos, here

https://www.facebook.com/Mr-Bond-The-Ballina-Skiff-Sail-Training-Group-110226546310465

There's one of a young lady that comes back to haunt her now she's a regular and skippering a boat. Second time out, in twenty odd knots of wind and (as many beginners do) got the 'ease in a gust, on in a lull' thing the wrong way around - with obvious consequences.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Rambler said:

Interesting in your first video that the crew doesn't use the mainsheet to pull himself back to the boat in a teabag .

If I do that the boat will turn into the wind and capsize onto me. You can see how badly the boat wants to luff because the jib was too open.
When she pulled the jib in, the boat bore away after a while and we saved it. A faster way would be to hand over the sheet to my helm and dive to the new windward while the boat tacks.

The second time it was on purpose because the vang ripped off.

1 hour ago, mothra64 said:

Is that Flensburg? 

Yes, some of it is. I'm so excited for the worlds next year, it's the best place in Germany to spend the summer.

2 hours ago, 14berlin said:

If I do that the boat will turn into the wind and capsize onto me. You can see how badly the boat wants to luff because the jib was too open.
When she pulled the jib in, the boat bore away after a while and we saved it. A faster way would be to hand over the sheet to my helm and dive to the new windward while the boat tacks.

Interesting.

On our boats, with the boat leaning so far to windward, the inclination is more for the boat to bear away; except of course for the drag of the crew well out from the boat which can act as a turning point.

But as you pull yourself in and take away that turning point, they tend to bear off and take off. Can be a bit crazy as you have the boat flying on a close reach at high speed as you're trying to get properly back aboard.

A brave move to duck the boat (especially in cold water). You have my admiration if you can do that.

Thanks for sharing, both the good and the bad.   After 14's, everything else is a doddle.

Every time I hear some wanker in a 10 ton yacht profess, 'she's just like a big dinghy', I think back to time spent trying to race 14's, and think, no.

Good luck for the worlds.

• Like 2

Great videos!  Been there and done all of that, numerous times.  Biggest difference I see from 1st group vs. 2nd group of videos is the boat stays much flatter into and out off the manouvers, thus maintaining better boat speed.  The tiny rudders (looks like one of Axel's rudders which are even bigger that the Ovington rudders) is if there is not at least 5-6 kts. of boat speed over the foils, they absolutely do not work at all.  So you have to maintain boat speed through the manouvers and use sails to turn the boat.  When caught in irons and boat reversing, remember you are backing up so need to turn rudder opposite direction to get the blow to come down.  No boat speed kills.  Rambler - My guess is there rudders and dagger boards are so small they make 9er boards look like barn doors.  Why we can't sit on the line like the 9ers can.  Can also tack the boat by a quick hard tug on the mainsheet if the driver pisses you off!  Hope to see you in Flensburg next yr.!

Hoist!

• Like 1

Still have my vest from Warnemunde.

Crazy fun regatta. Big winds, steep chop and cold. Rostock brewery and train rides were over the top. 
How do Flensburg conditions compare?

Looking forward to hanging with Team Germany and everyone else again.

P.

246AFB89-A5B9-4D2C-A8E6-5B912C29FE53.jpeg

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Irrational 14 said:

Still have my vest from Warnemunde.

Crazy fun regatta. Big winds, steep chop and cold. Rostock brewery and train rides were over the top. 
How do Flensburg conditions compare?

Must have been brutal, everybody from the old guard here is still talking about this event :D

Flensburger Förde is flatwater sailing and sheltered from the sea. Conditions like at the 2018 Euros are unusual, most of the time it's very managable.

19 hours ago, BWR said:

The tiny rudders (looks like one of Axel's rudders which are even bigger that the Ovington rudders) is if there is not at least 5-6 kts.

It's a tiny Partington rudder and this was the hardest part of learning the new boat. We come from a Bieker 4 with a low aspect rudder. After 2 years on the B6 the B4 feels like a classic dinghy. You can roll tack the old designs or do super quick double tacks at the start. The B6 is as maneuverable as a catamaran.

I think you have to be very experienced to gain anything from these rudder designs. The Axel rudder is much more forgiving. Here is me training without my helm. This was probably the most important excersize this year, we have way less rudder stalls now.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQtWtb-ocFb/

A challenge of my boat in particular is, that the shrouds are 15cm further back compared to a Hollom 2 or Pickled Egg and are on the hull. This means the boom doesn't go out very far which makes bottom mark maneuvers very hard and is a disatvantage at the start because you cannot bear away as far as the other boats without accelerating.

All of this made us way better sailors and in flatwater we came 2nd at the nationals but as soon as conditions are tough I wish the boat weren't that extreme. :lol: