Retook my recertification for my surgical boards. Used to be a all day test for a 10-year certification. Original certification was passing a written exam then an oral exam the next year. Now a 40 question exam needing an 80% pass rate, which is good for two years. However it is an open book exam now, but questions very vague. How many others out there need to continue to take continuing credits and an exam? Of course there is a fee also. 

I only need to take an exam for my license every 5 years. And it pretty much just asks me a basic question or 5 and asks me to pay $250.

Of course my license doesn't require me to be competent, just to uphold the current laws.

13 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

I only need to take an exam for my license every 5 years. And it pretty much just asks me a basic question or 5 and asks me to pay $250.

Of course my license doesn't require me to be competent, just to uphold the current laws.

Sounds like the license to be a politician is way less stringent.

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

Sounds like the license to be a politician is way less stringent.

It might be. I wouldn't know, not being a person who has ever submerged themselves in the cesspool that is politics.

I've thought about it though.

It might have been fun, in my younger years, to have been an asshole who gets as much ass as they can stand, and get paid for it. I semi-tried it for a year in 1991.... I got lots of ass, I got lots of money, but I couldn't stand being that me. The worst part was when both the Democratic, and Republican town committees asked me to run for the same office..... And there I was a registered independent.

16 hours ago, burndoc said:

Retook my recertification for my surgical boards. Used to be a all day test for a 10-year certification. Original certification was passing a written exam then an oral exam the next year. Now a 40 question exam needing an 80% pass rate, which is good for two years. However it is an open book exam now, but questions very vague. How many others out there need to continue to take continuing credits and an exam? Of course there is a fee also. 

Ring me up next time, got a bunch stuff I can hook you up with the prep for the ABSIT, ACS, and ABS exams.. And help ya along with your CME requirements.

Getting back to the questions being vague, in many cases the clinical vignettes are designed to be this way. 

I have to take a flight receive every other year, and I do an IPC (instrument proficiency check) every year.  The IPC is not mandated because if you maintain your currency every 6  months you are considered proficient in the eyes of the FAA.  I do it form my own enrichment and is giving me the chance to fly some of the new fangeled equipment under a watchful eye.

I went from this:

127148_0.jpg

to this...

maxresdefault.jpg

and eventually this

C172-new-G10001.jpg

15 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

It might have been fun, in my younger years, to have been an asshole who gets as much ass as they can stand, and get paid for it. I semi-tried it for a year in 1991.... I got lots of ass,

getting Pussy is more complicated but worth the extra effort

• Like 1
12 hours ago, cyclone said:

It was nice to be grandfathered long before becoming a grandfather.

Yes, one of the good things coming out of the military is that I was offered a bunch of certificates that I did not know or care about, at the time. Some were under the old National Bureau of Standards which doesn't even exist any more. But when new test/certs came out, it turned out I had a built in excemption from them. Saved time, but it turned out to have some justification because the technical education I got years before was far far superior to what they do nowadays.

Just for example, one of the things I worked on was air conditioning systems, big ones. How many HVAC techs do you know nowadays that can sketch out the endothermic/exothermic cycle? Or graph the temp/expansion characteristics of the various chemicals involved? I can, or could, and explain what it all means, which is why I spent time helping teams of lesser techs pass their certifications so they could keep their jobs. I always told them, "If you spent 1/8th of the effort on learning the technological details of your job as you spent on memorizing sports statistics, you'd pass easily."

So I never had to actually take/pass tests, but that threat was increasing in both tempo and cost through my post-military working life.

On 10/9/2021 at 9:55 PM, justsomeguy! said:

I had to pay $50.00 and pick up the garbage.

:lol:

Sounds like a job on the licensing boards, except none of them can sing.

- DSK

Continuing education and passing the course material every two years to keep the PE license.  Not sure why I am doing it as I am retired, but the courses can be sort of fun.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

^^^^^^^^^. 

Fixed Gear?

Got the ratings and endorsements needed to fly something in the lines of a Seminole in the clouds if needed, just don't exercise them anymore, or at least not a the point in my life.

Maybe when I retire in a few I'll get back after it.  As you know being current and proficient are two different things and just don't have the time right now to stay proficient in everything I am allowed to fly. 

23 minutes ago, Ventucky Red said:

Got the ratings and endorsements needed to fly something in the lines of a Seminole in the clouds if needed, just don't exercise them anymore, or at least not a the point in my life.

Maybe when I retire in a few I'll get back after it.  As you know being current and proficient are two different things and just don't have the time right now to stay proficient in everything I am allowed to fly. 

I wasn't trying to be negative, each generation of your panel is great.  I just didn't see a gear indicator light.  What kind of plane?

43 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

I wasn't trying to be negative, each generation of your panel is great.  I just didn't see a gear indicator light.  What kind of plane?

Wasn't taken that way I know you meant good. You're one of the good shits around here.

172S and 182R are the two flavors right now - trying to keep the workload down until I have it mastered.  these are some stock photos.

The closest thing to recertification I'll ever have to do is to declare I'm still fit to drive at age 70.. which frighteningly is just 7 years Time..

1 hour ago, The Q said:

The closest thing to recertification I'll ever have to do is to declare I'm still fit to drive at age 70.. which frighteningly is just 7 years Time..

I over a month ago had to get/pass a DOT-Physical (I Bee 70 now)

for my Anything/Everything (Except HAZ-Mat) that can be on the road Fed/Commercial License

Comes with Free Random DRUG Tests

More things should come with a DRUG Test

like posting in  here

if you post in PA no need to test,

ya of course you got notes from a DR for each Prescription

4 hours ago, Ventucky Red said:

Wasn't taken that way I know you meant good. You're one of the good shits around here.

172S and 182R are the two flavors right now - trying to keep the workload down until I have it mastered.  these are some stock photos.

Offf the OP topic, but years ago, maybe 35, I was flying my brother home in my Cherokee 140.  My dad, not light decided to come with us.  I forget the details but it was a grass strip with trees on both ends.  Hot humid day, no problem getting in, but had me take pause for getting out of there, I don't remember how long the runway was  but less than 2Kft.  I don't think I would have tried with all three of us but my brother was dropped off.  Took off and stayed in ground effect until we gained some speed and easily cleared the trees.  Years later I owned a 182 with the STOL kit.  In that, fill all four seats plus the luggage compartment and add an Afghani to each strut and it would have climbed like a homesick angel.  

• Like 1

Minimum 40 hours per year of PD, and 20 needs to be classroom or verified video conference.  The rest can be self-directed readings.

Thankfully I don't need to rewrite the exams.

Curious question to all of you, how much of the exams cover new information versus simply a demonstration of continued academic competence on existing information? When I was a paramedic…..oh so many years ago…..the continuing education requirement was 40 hours annually. 20 hours didactic, 10 hours supervised clinical, and 10 hours group case review. Every two years was a recertification exam. While the complexity…..at least in medical fields…..of those continuing education experiences were far less than a physician, I’m curious about the purpose. New information versus grind out the same old shit?

Personally, I didn’t mind the clinical, working a few hours in the ER or ICU (ER was way better) was always interesting. It was especially good if the ER Doc on duty had time to coach/teach a little as well. I learned so much about lung sounds in that setting that you’d never get any other way besides listening to LOTS of them and knowing what the correct assessment really was. Same with EKG interpretation in the ICU and ER. So that was valuable. Case reviews….always good stuff. Didactic…….meh……mostly same old shit. Unless a new drug or procedure was being introduced for our use in the field…..I could barely stay awake……yeah…… I remember the parasympathetic nervous nervous system and atropine……yawn…..

• Like 1

As professional engineer, I find the re-licensing process just theatre.  It is an effort to make it like like the regulatory body is doing something.  And they collect a pile of loot to do this.  

For engineering, I have never seen any objective, peer-reviewed solid evidence that professional development improves the overall performance of engineers and the profession of engineering.   

Sometimes it may be interesting or maybe entertaining (it is usually just drudgery to tick the box) but I have never seen proof it is effective.  

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Point Break said:

Curious question to all of you, how much of the exams cover new information versus simply a demonstration of continued academic competence on existing information? When I was a paramedic…..oh so many years ago…..the continuing education requirement was 40 hours annually. 20 hours didactic, 10 hours supervised clinical, and 10 hours group case review. Every two years was a recertification exam. While the complexity…..at least in medical fields…..of those continuing education experiences were far less than a physician, I’m curious about the purpose. New information versus grind out the same old shit?

Personally, I didn’t mind the clinical, working a few hours in the ER or ICU (ER was way better) was always interesting. It was especially good if the ER Doc on duty had time to coach/teach a little as well. I learned so much about lung sounds in that setting that you’d never get any other way besides listening to LOTS of them and knowing what the correct assessment really was. Same with EKG interpretation in the ICU and ER. So that was valuable. Case reviews….always good stuff. Didactic…….meh……mostly same old shit. Unless a new drug or procedure was being introduced for our use in the field…..I could barely stay awake……yeah…… I remember the parasympathetic nervous nervous system and atropine……yawn…..

We are supposed to have 50 hours a year continue medical education for the state. A national conference will get you about half that and there are many CME opportunities in the hospital. The Board of surgery wants about a third of that to be self assessment, read and answer questions. Since medicine changes rapidly there is much new info. On the boards i just took some references were this year and there were even questions relating to COVID 

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, burndoc said:

We are supposed to have 50 hours a year continue medical education for the state. A national conference will get you about half that and there are many CME opportunities in the hospital. The Board of surgery wants about a third of that to be self assessment, read and answer questions. Since medicine changes rapidly there is much new info. On the boards i just took some references were this year and there were even questions relating to COVID 

Interesting. So do you find the CE in the conference setting is adequate to prepare you or do you have to cast a broader net of self study? I’d imagine that just because of the tremendous depth of the various subjects during undergrad and Ned school that you can reason through many questions but how much individual prep time (if any) do you find necessary?

2 hours ago, Point Break said:

Interesting. So do you find the CE in the conference setting is adequate to prepare you or do you have to cast a broader net of self study? I’d imagine that just because of the tremendous depth of the various subjects during undergrad and Ned school that you can reason through many questions but how much individual prep time (if any) do you find necessary?

Not always. Exam covers all general surgery. Head and neck. Colorectal. Vascular. Trauma. Gut etcetera. Run meeting focuses on burn. College meeting is very broad but usually go to sessions on topics that relate to what I do. Trauma, ICU care, burns and general surgery

Our morbidity and mortality meetings touch on transplant and colorectal and vascular but not some of the other things. So doing practice books hits the other subjects

25 minutes ago, burndoc said:

Not always. Exam covers all general surgery. Head and neck. Colorectal. Vascular. Trauma. Gut etcetera. Run meeting focuses on burn. College meeting is very broad but usually go to sessions on topics that relate to what I do. Trauma, ICU care, burns and general surgery

Our morbidity and mortality meetings touch on transplant and colorectal and vascular but not some of the other things. So doing practice books hits the other subjects

Thanks for the info. A bunch of my buddies and colleagues are either ER or Trauma guys so I wasn't sure how the rest of it works. The ER guys don't seem to put a ton of prep into it. The Trauma Surgeons are.............well.....you know surgeons........:lol:

11 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Thanks for the info. A bunch of my buddies and colleagues are either ER or Trauma guys so I wasn't sure how the rest of it works. The ER guys don't seem to put a ton of prep into it. The Trauma Surgeons are.............well.....you know surgeons........:lol:

ER guys have a separate board. Not sure how their recertification works. 

Cheers

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/11/2021 at 2:53 PM, DA-WOODY said:

I over a month ago had to get/pass a DOT-Physical (I Bee 70 now)

for my Anything/Everything (Except HAZ-Mat) that can be on the road Fed/Commercial License

Comes with Free Random DRUG Tests

More things should come with a DRUG Test

like posting in  here

if you post in PA no need to test,

ya of course you got notes from a DR for each Prescription

Does this mean they give you good drugs, and then see how well you can drive?

• Like 1
On 10/14/2021 at 9:05 AM, Bugsy said:

As professional engineer, I find the re-licensing process just theatre.  It is an effort to make it like like the regulatory body is doing something.  And they collect a pile of loot to do this.  

For engineering, I have never seen any objective, peer-reviewed solid evidence that professional development improves the overall performance of engineers and the profession of engineering.   

Sometimes it may be interesting or maybe entertaining (it is usually just drudgery to tick the box) but I have never seen proof it is effective.  

You're right, it likely does nothing for PEs who keep up with the work and love the engineering process.

But for PEs who are more interested in the cars, vacations, homes and boats than the actual engineering itself, I am happier to drive over bridges, to use electrical grids and water networks that are signed off by PEs who are strong-armed into reading their trade journals.