Sugar Scoop added to Olson 40

There were two big reasons to add the sugar scoop.

First, and by far the most important: Safety. While I could trivially reach up, grab a stanchion, and pull myself aboard one handed when I was a kid, my wife and I are no longer able to do that. We needed a way to self rescue. A swim step with a ladder that can be deployed from the water provides that. (I don't yet have photos of the swim step, but I will by the weekend).

Second: Ease of getting into and out of a dinghy. The flared topsides made this harder than it might seem, and there were times at anchor where doing the dinghy-boat transfer was almost impossible.

The possibly slightly improved performance, and the improved aesthetics, were minor reasons.

Here is a video of the final product. I'll go through the entirety of the effort in subsequent posts.

All work was done by Dennis Choate's crew at Diversified Composites (used to be called Dencho). The work was performed at Marina Shipyard in Long Beach CA.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

The lines of the hull were extended using horizontal strips screwed to the hull, and door skins (thin plywood).

We will eliminate the old exhaust outlet for the long removed diesel. We will also eliminate the MOB tubes, which are a downflooding risk and unused.

Your guess is as good as mine as to why one of these images is upside down.

895253340_Scoop01.jpeg

1888174288_Scoop02.jpeg

1599260578_Scoop03.jpeg

Again, sorry about the weird image rotations...

We had to cut 6" off the rudder just so we could pull it out to replace the rudder bearings with Jefe bearings. Details in another thread about the rudder.

1070889531_Scoop04.jpeg

226552118_Scoop05.jpeg

665582378_Scoop06.jpeg

The temporary female mold has now been removed.

The after edge of the scoop was created by using the existing transom as a mold. This provided the right curvature.

838672773_Scoop10.jpeg

136090095_Scoop11.jpeg

The scoop has a few degrees of slope. We trimmed the platform to provide 36" x 36" of flat area. To avoid water pooling in the sugar scoop when heeled, underway, wedges are added.

1523928064_Scoop15.jpeg

1335084047_Scoop16.jpeg

• Like 1

The rudder is a bit higher aspect ratio now. We cut off 3" from the trailing edge to make the helm feel lighter. We did add the 6" back on, so the rudder is still nearly 7' deep. Certainly over 6' deep.

1998938222_Scoop23.jpeg

124424552_Scoop24.jpeg

Scoop 25.jpeg

David, What a beautiful job you and the team at Diversified Compositesare doing, the boat is georgous. Thanks for reaching out to us on the blog. Sorry, I don't know how to get back to you other than this.

Obviously your ideas on what you want are completely in sync with our own, but your boat will be very fast, I fear you would come out the best of us on the race course.

Paint job is terrific.

Hope to see you in Mexico

Fred Roswold, SV Wings

• Like 1
On 10/13/2021 at 10:08 AM, Zonker said:

Well you sure don't tell the marina. It's still an Olson 40!

I always register as 36ft, while my boat is 39ft including a 3ft scoop.
At the end of a winter haulout and paint job in Canada, they came to measure all the boats for the new yard owners. Fearing some embarrasment and possible extra charges, I told them I just added  the 3ft scoop. The guy asked if that would make the boat faster, and I said that I would certainly hope so, with a poker face!

On 10/18/2021 at 3:36 PM, ICP said:

Very cool project! Im curious about the rudder brining replacement.  

The helm feel is light air is clearly improved. I have not yet been in big seas.

On 10/23/2021 at 5:56 AM, MiddayGun said:

Impressive!

Do you have any details on how you sprayed the non skid? And how sticky it turned out? 
Thanks! 

Finco Fabrication (Steve Brown) sprayed the decks using Awlgrip, including spraying the Awlgrip proprietary non-skid additive for the grey areas of the deck. He did it about 4 years ago. It came out GREAT and continues to be GREAT today. It seems just the right amount of grip. Very happy with that deck paint job!!

• Like 1

How did you pick the length of the sugar scoop? It seems quite a bit longer than I’d expect, but there might be an advantage that isn’t clear to me. 

being able to hold more than one person at a time seems like a big advantage. I was thinking of simply bolting on the widest swim step possible onto my transom simply to make it easier / more fun to get into and out of the water. dangling around on a one-at-a-time ladder works, sorta, but..

PS: love everything about this Olson 40.. definitely would love to see one of the Ed's retroboat features on it. and these blog posts on anarchy are really great.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/24/2021 at 7:38 PM, Alex W said:

How did you pick the length of the sugar scoop? It seems quite a bit longer than I’d expect, but there might be an advantage that isn’t clear to me. 

At first I was thinking about 1.5 feet, enough to easily sit on and drag one’s feet while sailing.

But trying the action of climbing aboard, or helping someone climb aboard (MOB event) made a longer scoop seem safer.

As it was being built, we tried it, and much preferred the longer scoop.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Honestly, never really saw an Olsen before before coming here, and I agree that they're beautiful! And I like how your scoop fits into the picture.
How long and how much money took this again? Looked so easy on the pictures but we all know how that goes.

99 days in the yard total. But most of that was redoing the hull gelcoat that turned out truly stunning. The transom was the first to start, and since it involved finish gelcoat and deck paint, was among the last thing finished.

Transom labor including paint: 148 hours over 15 work days

Materials approximately $2000.

• Like 1

Gelcoat lasts decades, LP paint lasts years. So while the gelcoat was MUCH more expensive than LP paint, the result is spectacular, robust, and easy to repair.

Well, can't really argue with that.
I have polyurethane paint since 2012 and no issue, but also northern Europe with the boat only 7-9 months in the water.
Damage repair is... Don't hit things ;) Fixing some chafed through areas is painting over, wet sand and polish. So I have nothing more to compare to.

No argument about the punishment gelcoat can take though. Tends to be thicker to begin with. On the flip side, I haven't polished gelcoat in years.

1 hour ago, carcrash said:

Gelcoat lasts decades, LP paint lasts years. So while the gelcoat was MUCH more expensive than LP paint, the result is spectacular, robust, and easy to repair.

To each their own. I’m happy as can be with a painted boat. Far easier to patch up little dings than gel coat. On a cruiser, I can understand your choice. 

6 hours ago, carcrash said:

99 days in the yard total. But most of that was redoing the hull gelcoat that turned out truly stunning. The transom was the first to start, and since it involved finish gelcoat and deck paint, was among the last thing finished.

Transom labor including paint: 148 hours over 15 work days

Materials approximately $2000.

I’m in the industry, they did really well. 

• Like 1
On 12/23/2021 at 2:26 PM, gkny said:

Now all you need is the requisite orange Home Depot bucket with water parked on the scoop to keep the LB sea lions from sun bathing

I hope the swim ladder in the middle causes them to at least think about it for a bit. Unfortunately, Sea Lions are mammals, and are pretty clever. There is one in our marina, and he does bump the boat sometimes in the middle of the night, and seems to play with us as we walk down the docks. I sure don't want that enormous animal getting too confident around people, and us in particular!!