Looking for insight in the Nacra F18. Not the Infusion.  The old design that predates that.  There’s one for sale near me, and I’m wondering if it’s worth picking up as fun boat to blast around on.  

I’m interested in views on how easy/hard it is to sail one- or two-up. Not planning to race as I don’t think it’s competitive in the F18 class. 

thanks 

51806B7B-E01B-4E7E-B621-DD37E392A2CB.jpeg

Haha nothing like a Hobie 16, you won’t go over backwards on the F18, it won’t pitchpole anywhere if your just cruising and not pushing it, stand a bit back upwind and stay back downwind. Single handed is tough to move around on the beach but when I single handed the Hobie Tiger it was great fun on 5he water in not too much wind though, they are heavy enough to get on the trap wire before you put it completely onto the wind when single handed

Most F18's of that vintage are pretty soft and tired by now. Not competitive but still fun to daysail. A lot of fun for the money.

Stuff will break. It's old and most likely not in prime shape. As said above, a challenge to solo if any breeze is involved.

Capsize and you wont be able to right the boat by yourself which could put oneself in a bad situation.

Stick to double handing as that is what it's designed for. When you are learning, it will be easier and safer.

Double check the trampoline to make sure it still safe to support the crew. Will require a re-lash.

On 10/12/2021 at 2:55 PM, valcour said:

Looking for insight in the Nacra F18. Not the Infusion.  The old design that predates that.  There’s one for sale near me, and I’m wondering if it’s worth picking up as fun boat to blast around on.  

I’m interested in views on how easy/hard it is to sail one- or two-up. Not planning to race as I don’t think it’s competitive in the F18 class. 

thanks 

51806B7B-E01B-4E7E-B621-DD37E392A2CB.jpeg

If they'll give you $5K to take the boat off their hands it will probably be worth it.

23 hours ago, SCARECROW said:

If they'll give you $5K to take the boat off their hands it will probably be worth it.

+1 Scarecrow. 

I had the misfortune to own one of those things and it was an absolute POS.  Bin the rig and it might - I say might - improve things a little.  Very early F18 tech.

Having said that, for cruising it should be OK for 2 people - but for what you are looking for in a boat it's flawed and no steal.

On 10/13/2021 at 7:18 AM, valcour said:

@martin 'hoff - Sounds like soloing is unlikely     

@madboutcats - I’ve heard the pitchpoling thing a couple of times.  Worse than a hobie 16?

As to price, is it worth it at $1500?

Nowhere near as bad as a hobie 16.  I’ve had a Nacra Inter18, the F18 and an Infusion.

The Infusion is a great and very forgiving boat to sail in big waves and wind.  The F18 is fun to sail but isnt as forgiving or reactive to sail as the Infusion.  The F18 has narrow hulls and it sits “in” the water.  The infusion has fat hull with lots of buoyancy and sits “on” the water.