replacing mechanical fuel pump

My fuel pump went out.  I put an electronic fuel pump in line with it.  I have heard that if the diaphragm rips on the mechanical fuel pump that diesel can leak into the oil and collect in the sump.  One option is to put solid bolts in the inlet out outlet banjo fittings of the mechanical fuel pump and leave it bolted to the engine.  Would this cause any problems?  Another is to put a switch to the electrical fuel pump so that it does not normally run and to replace the mechanical fuel pump.  This would leave the electrical fuel pump as an emergency back up and an aid when bleeding the fuel system. 

11 minutes ago, Zonker said:

Is a mechanical fuel pump so expensive that it is prohibitive to just replace it rather than do some Frankenstein repair?

I know on my Yanmar one of the bolts is buried and I have no idea how it could be replaced.

2 hours ago, Zonker said:

Is a mechanical fuel pump so expensive that it is prohibitive to just replace it rather than do some Frankenstein repair?

No, it is not expensive but the fuel pump looked relatively new (I have had the boat about 3 years) and I thought that the electric pump might be more reliable.  If not, then I could replace it and use the electrical as a back up.