Messing with an old spinnaker pole

IMG_2449.thumb.jpg.5a1b6c4d1ee48b39bfd2ad0a2bd46ad0.jpg

My 1989 PSC34 bought two years ago in Panama on the Caribbean side does not have a spinnaker pole. I don't plan on running a symmetrical spinnaker (I have an asym). Instead I want a pole as a whisker pole to hold the roughly 120% genny out going downwind (I previously posted about this topic and was advised at least a 2" and preferably 2.5" OD pole would be suitable). I was in Anacortes a few weeks ago and at Northern Rigging discovered a rather derelict 2.5" OD and 12' long pole with piston ends (which eventually loosened up and work well now). The guy threw in a smaller 8' whisker pole (which should work for my staysail when unextended) for a total of $100. See pic. So now I have three issues.

First is how to get them to Panama. I've resolved this one by cutting the pole in half and will check all three pieces on the plane in a ski bag. The middle was already reinforced with two 3' long "sheeves" riveted onto it with a fitting for the topping lift and downhaul riveted to the middle of that (I have moved this bracket to one end of the pole to attach forward and aft guy lines in addition to a topping lift attached to the top of the piston end so the pole does not move with the genny clew but rather is fixed in position when in use). The diameter at the center was now almost 2.75" OD, which is the ID of aluminum tubing with 3" OD and 0.175" thickness, so I got a 2' piece and it fits perfectly over the join. I will then rivet them together in Panama. I am confident this will be more than strong enough. My question is whether I should try to insulate the new tubing from the old (white lithium grease perhaps), or just let them eventually fuse together as the 3' long sheeves have already done?

Second issue is whether it is worth trying to sort all the corrosion on the pole. It was painted white (or maybe annodized?) but has corroded at the ends and elsewhere. My inclination, being lazy, was to scrape and sand off most of the corrosion (done) and let it be. But could I go further and soak the entire piece of pole in vinegar to remove the remaining corrosion? And then might it be good to repaint it? If so, any suggestions for paint?

Third issue is that I understand that to be most effective in poling out my genny the pole should be about 120% the J value, which is 14'. I could roughly achieve that by using a 6' piece of the 3" OD tubing to join the two halves together again. Thoughts?

Second issue is whether it is worth trying to sort all the corrosion on the pole. It was painted white (or maybe annodized?) but has corroded at the ends and elsewhere. My inclination, being lazy, was to scrape and sand off most of the corrosion (done) and let it be. But could I go further and soak the entire piece of pole in vinegar to remove the remaining corrosion? And then might it be good to repaint it? If so, any suggestions for paint?

I detailed the rebuild of my spinnaker pole a while back in the Mo Bettah thread.

I stripped the pole to the tube, disassembled the ends and polished the sliding bits, replaced a rotted spring etc.

The tube wasn't badly corroded but I sanded everything as required, filled a bunch of surplus holes with epoxy filler then primed it with zinc chromate for a tie coat and painted it with automotive Trim Black.

CAPS - Central Alberta Paint & Supplies - SEM Black Trim Black Paint  Aerosol (39143)

After replacing all the control lines with coated wire "I just happened to have" I had an essentially new pole for about $20.

https://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?/topic/201312-mo-bettah-too/page/3/#comments

Thanks Sloop. My wife pushed me to try simply spraying it with vinegar and that cleaned up the corrosion nicely. I will try the zinc chromate primer and then paint.

But not painted black. Not for a tropics boat!

I flew to Panama (Vancouver - LAX - Panama) with 7' roller furler foils in a big cardboard tube. Flew EVA airlines. Sporting equipment flew for free. With a straight face I told the ticket agent "fishing rods - DEEP SEA fishing rods. (Very heavy)"

30 minutes ago, Zonker said:

I flew to Panama (Vancouver - LAX - Panama) with 7' roller furler foils in a big cardboard tube. Flew EVA airlines. Sporting equipment flew for free. With a straight face I told the ticket agent "fishing rods - DEEP SEA fishing rods. (Very heavy)"

Good one. I flew to Monterey to Puerto Vallarta with a 5 foot coil of rod rigging. Free as sporting equipment.

We were in Sydney for the '96 Sydney-Hobart.  I was trying to free up a reluctant spinnaker pole end, and the foredeck guy from Quest next to us came over to offer help.  As we disassembled the pole end, a part flipped over the side and sank, and we had no replacements.  We sent a diver down who could not find it.

We had a lovely crew-mate that arranged for a launch to go across the bay to acquire the missing part.  She dressed appropriately and arrived at the yard (on Christmas Eve) and was invited for lunch, and perhaps cocktails. . . imagine that.  She came back with the missing part and the Quest guy was great help in reassembling the pole end.  

He said to be sure to duck when the bow dips on Di-Hard where he had also done foredeck, because a huge wave passes overhead and douches the cockpit.  He saved my ass on the foredeck several times!

3 hours ago, Zonker said:

I flew to Panama (Vancouver - LAX - Panama) with 7' roller furler foils in a big cardboard tube.

2 hours ago, El Borracho said:

Good one. I flew to Monterey to Puerto Vallarta with a 5 foot coil of rod rigging.

Basho , wangled a first class seat Syd - Sin outa an owner as he had quite an amount of lead ballast to deliver .................

unlimited luggage in first .

• Like 1
7 hours ago, TheDragon said:

IMG_2449.thumb.jpg.5a1b6c4d1ee48b39bfd2ad0a2bd46ad0.jpg

My 1989 PSC34 bought two years ago in Panama on the Caribbean side does not have a spinnaker pole. I don't plan on running a symmetrical spinnaker (I have an asym). Instead I want a pole as a whisker pole to hold the roughly 120% genny out going downwind (I previously posted about this topic and was advised at least a 2" and preferably 2.5" OD pole would be suitable). I was in Anacortes a few weeks ago and at Northern Rigging discovered a rather derelict 2.5" OD and 12' long pole with piston ends (which eventually loosened up and work well now). The guy threw in a smaller 8' whisker pole (which should work for my staysail when unextended) for a total of $100. See pic. So now I have three issues.

First is how to get them to Panama. I've resolved this one by cutting the pole in half and will check all three pieces on the plane in a ski bag. The middle was already reinforced with two 3' long "sheeves" riveted onto it with a fitting for the topping lift and downhaul riveted to the middle of that (I have moved this bracket to one end of the pole to attach forward and aft guy lines in addition to a topping lift attached to the top of the piston end so the pole does not move with the genny clew but rather is fixed in position when in use). The diameter at the center was now almost 2.75" OD, which is the ID of aluminum tubing with 3" OD and 0.175" thickness, so I got a 2' piece and it fits perfectly over the join. I will then rivet them together in Panama. I am confident this will be more than strong enough. My question is whether I should try to insulate the new tubing from the old (white lithium grease perhaps), or just let them eventually fuse together as the 3' long sheeves have already done?

Third issue is that I understand that to be most effective in poling out my genny the pole should be about 120% the J value, which is 14'. I could roughly achieve that by using a 6' piece of the 3" OD tubing to join the two halves together again. Thoughts?

When poling  out the headsail ...the longest pole that will fit on your boat is the best choice 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Zonker said:

Nope, will be white like it is already. I will not claim these are skis, so if they ask I will explain they are needed for a my racing sailboat, sports equipment, HA!

I had an old Forespar adjustable whisker pole with internal rigging that was shot.  Called Forespar to inquire about parts and they sent me all the internals (line, sheaves, misc bits and pieces) for free.  Maybe worth a try. 

Course, none of the parts made the pole any lighter...

Cant really tell from the pics how bad the paint is.  If its mostly bad I'd be tempted to strip off all the paint, wet sand up through the grits, compound, polish and leave unpainted.  

Well, I've already painted it. No doubt not a good job, but aesthetics don't matter that much to me. I'm thinking I will go ahead with purchasing the 6' 3"OD tube to allow me to extend the pole from 12' to 16' length, adding 8 pounds to the weight of it. It would simplify things to transport that piece as well now rather than later. Not cheap though at $170, more than I paid for the pole and whisker! Total cost of this exercise is approaching $500, and probably some more fittings to come.

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

If you want to feel better about it, ask for a quote on having it built for you.

If you want to feel *a lot* better about it, ask for a quote on having it built in carbon.