Dazcat- No Really Let's Talk About This...

Just hit my rhum limit tonight, but I thought I throw out a curve ball.

Mr. Newton & Mr. Baker wtf?  Couldn't be a nicer, more professional duo in the industry.  And yet they don't garner much limelight.

• Solid boats
  • High value for the asking price
  • Intelligently designed
  • Run what they brung (serious offshore events)
  • Did I say solid boats? - Check out their YT videos of the British North Sea!
  • Sexy AF
  • Fast AF - Fastnet Race anyone?

Lets hear it from our UK SA brethren!  What say you?  And what are the current industry perceptions?  As I don't hear enough about these former Cornwall Smugglers!!

Cheers! 

2-D1495-HISSY-FIT-G.jpeg

20-D1495-HISSY-FIT-G.jpeg

32-D1495-HISSY-FIT-G.jpeg

40-D1495-HISSY-FIT-G.jpeg

128-D1495-APOLLO-DETAIL-G.jpeg

• Like 1

My perception is they are a premium product, like GB, and are priced accordingly.

Therefore their pool of buyers is small and having less brand name awareness than GB or arguably Outremer, they don't make a ton of boats.

I like them though.

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, Zonker said:

My perception is

... Mine too.  I also think they don't market strongly enough (although I think Oriel does an awesome job with the vids and the social media posts).

However, if you compare similar sized production vessel offerings, the Dazcat pricing is not that much more.  Ok, so $200-300k on top of what Lagoon, Windelo, FP, Bali, etc... charge is a lot of money.  But there would (one presumes) to be a market for something with higher: quality, speed and strength.  And the upfront investment for a performance Dazcat is well below an all-carbon option (even the ones coming out of China).

I also wager that they can only handle 2-3 at a time in different stages of construction.  So there's that. 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Fat Point Jack said:

I vaguely remember seeing some weird looking

Wouldn't doubt it.  Watch some of their YT videos.  There are some very imaginative vessels at their Multihull Centre.  I don't believe they are all stemming from the work of Newton & Baker; but there are some fanciful rides parked on the hill there in Cornwall!

17 hours ago, hannibalhouse said:

That 2011 - 1195 at 520T USD - ordinary alu non rotating mast - simple interior - low standing headroom - 1 head.... and you have to log in to get more info like weights etc. (hate logins) is that boat really worth that much? ...better be light... 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, SeaGul said:

to get more info like weights etc. (hate logins) is that boat really worth that much?  

I am also always "pleased"  to read something like what we read from Daz manufacturers. Do they really want we to call for our imagination to complete their "untold truth" ? :ph34r:

Hull Material :  Composite

Beautiful boats for people who like to go places, and go there quickly. I consider the difference between them and GB is that GB ALWAYS focused on enough headroom, comfort etc. for the cruising needs first. Perhaps is is that the Brits are more willing to trade away, say Headroom, for the performance they seek.  But the DazCat market Niche may be limited in market size.  IMHO...

• Like 2
8 hours ago, SeaGul said:

That 2011 - 1195 at 520T USD - ordinary alu non rotating mast - simple interior - low standing headroom - 1 head.... and you have to log in to get more info like weights etc. (hate logins) is that boat really worth that much? ...better be light... 

None of the Dazcats have rotating masts. I was told that the performance gains for the kind of racing and the rating system the boats are intended for was not worth the additional complexity and cost.

simple interior = light

The headroom is actually > 1.9 m (6.3 ft) in most parts of the boat.  The designer is a tall man... 

6 hours ago, steelmadesteamer said:

I am also always "pleased"  to read something like what we read from Daz manufacturers. Do they really want we to call for our imagination to complete their "untold truth" ? :ph34r:

Hull Material :  Composite

As these are semi-custom boats, I suppose that the yard can use whatever materials you like depending on the price point you are confortable with.

The brochure for the 1195 says: "Only the highest quality materials are used, including a protective 65PA gel coat and isopthalic resin with multi-axial and uni-directional engineered aramid and glass fabrics, vacuum sandwiched on a high quality PVC foam core for maximum panel stiffness and strength. Carbon is used to save weight and reinforce the monococque structure, built using female tooling. Wet deck, bridge deck, canopy and bulkheads are internally finished by hand, avoiding as much double surfacing as possible to reduce the boat’s overall weight and increase performance."

For the Dazcat 1495 Apollo there is this quote : "The hulls are built using infused vinylester with the wet deck laminated into both. The deck is hand-laid and includes lots of unidirectional carbon fibre."

well I see also the TS5 or ORC50 as they call it now has a non-rotating alu-mast....   at those prices ..... cant imagine to get a performance multi without rotating c-mast...   have problem seeing its so complicated and I know it works.  

I see some of this going back to the "marketing" point I made.  The Dazcat website shows a carbon mast as an option for the 1295 and the 1495.  Interestingly it does not show one for the 1195 in print of the brochure: but it does show what appears to be a picture of the 1195 with a carbon mast!

In the Apollo D1495 tour video, Simon Baker says they make their carbon parts in house (masts, daggerboards, rudders, longerons, etc.) and then says that Apollo's original owner wanted an Axxon CF mast (so I guess he got it).  Considering the length Mr. Baker goes to to say "whatever the customer wants" should extend to a rotating mast.  Also, in the 1295 tour with designer Darren Newton he states that 'they've tried rotating masts..." so perhaps this is another clue the option is open.

Dazcat 1295 interior tour with designer Darren Newton - YouTube

Dazcat 1495 Apollo Full Tour - YouTube

I'm still thinking great design, great boat and the folks involved are living a balanced lifestyle.

..and it can be about to have a "reasonable" starting price - and then its the extras... like carbon mast - rotating etc.

All the old TRT1200 from early 2000 had vinylester hulls and structure, rotating carbon wingmasts ,booms rudders and daggers - was lighter and has +10-15m2 more mainsail. Used they cost from USD 100-200K now. 

2 hours ago, SeaGul said:

..and it can be about to have a "reasonable" starting price - and then its the extras... like carbon mast - rotating etc.

All the old TRT1200 from early 2000 had vinylester hulls and structure, rotating carbon wingmasts ,booms rudders and daggers - was lighter and has +10-15m2 more mainsail. Used they cost from USD 100-200K now. 

Maybe the price difference is saying something, as much as the TRT's are acknowledged as sailing boats, aesthetics and beauty are not their strengths, that counts out most wives and non sailing partners who control the cheque books :D

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Waynemarlow said:

Maybe the price difference is saying something, as much as the TRT's are acknowledged as sailing boats, aesthetics and beauty are not their strengths, that counts out most wives and non sailing partners who control the cheque books :D

That is true - but I think that the Dazcat 1195 is quite similar concept - the wife would not be too impressed. The cabin version of the TRT is not looking good - but the GT with full painted fulls not too bad - and they are superb in handling an cockpit space. 

Skjermbilde 2021-10-15 kl. 12.52.37.png

As a youtube connoisseur, yacht world window shopping, mooring ball creeping addict of performance catamarans.... I freaking love Dazcats.  It was this Dazcat listing on YW that first turned me on to them.  https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1998-dazcat-open-bridgedeck-6066511/ The 30 footer open bridgedeck has been for sale for a while.  I also love all the 640x480 videos in non english language of the TRT1200 open bridge deck.  I understand how they come up in the same conversation.  Where is the TRT1200 2021 update? Would not take much to update that concept with some sexy modern lines.

4 hours ago, patmo141 said:

As a youtube connoisseur, yacht world window shopping, mooring ball creeping addict of performance catamarans.... I freaking love Dazcats.  It was this Dazcat listing on YW that first turned me on to them.  https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1998-dazcat-open-bridgedeck-6066511/ The 30 footer open bridgedeck has been for sale for a while.  I also love all the 640x480 videos in non english language of the TRT1200 open bridge deck.  I understand how they come up in the same conversation.  Where is the TRT1200 2021 update? Would not take much to update that concept with some sexy modern lines.

I have urged the owner of the TRT over here to make a XL2  conversation at the bows.... but it took several years to get those hulls painted all up - so it will take a while... similar would be the SIG 45 - but the price is astronomy - and the concept not quite as clear as the TRT that is a development of the Shockwave 39 - using the main beam as a living volume and perfect work-bench for sailing. 

We own one ... lets talk turkey... we had an f27 before and wanted something bigger that still sailed.. there was a list of things which is why our boat is called Bare Necessities.

We race and cruise. Fastnet Round Ireland Armen . Mix of crewed . 4 or 5 and 2 handed . Alison and me. Top speed 23 knts...  

We have done lots of cruising Scotland France and locally normally 2 plus dog. Ours is THE 1150.. the others like her were 1200 . We are 4.7 tonnes with sails and racing safety kit.. tanks 120 l diesel 2 x nanni 14 hp 1 l per hour . Water up to 400l if we fill full... 3 double berths oven cooker etc 1 head with shower

Last weekend cruising back on our last sail of the season sogging 7 knts in 8 knts true 3 sail reaching... in a 12m 40 cat. We still had all our cruising stuff on inc 2 outboards  half tankso of water nd spares as Scotland is 3rd world for boat parts oh and oars as we did a very english race called 3 peaks where you can row.. whilst you sail between the 3 highest mpuntaints in uk and then some silly people run up and down them from the boat. 

So yes we like her...

• Like 9
18 minutes ago, Bruce Sutherland said:

Bare Necessities

Thanks for sharing.  It is v. cool to finally hear from an owner!  And I for one appreciate all your cameos in the videos :D  I think you were immortalized in one of the latest actually rowing your catamaran!  We have similar sized catamarans and I dare say you wouldn't catch me 'trying' to row my heavy girl!!

I take it then y'all are now preparing for a winter layup?

Anything to share about Prismo (Apollo) upcoming adventures?  Or any potential Dazcat adventures on this side of the pond?

Cheers!

Hi Ruminator

From memory there are currently two Multimarine boats in USA - one is a disabled cat  Impossible Dream https://www.theimpossibledream.org/

and the Dazcat from memory is an 1195 that is a sister ship to Suenos. I think she was in Chesaspeake but could be wrong? 

Mr Baker had plans of taking Hissy Fit to the Caribean pre covid. Obviously the world has changed so not sure if that is one or not perhaps next year.

Prismo is in Portsmouth whilst the new owners get used to her and then I think she is off next spring going S

And we came out yesterday May be an image of outdoors

so now just the tedious winter mainteance to do 

• Like 2

@Bruce Sutherland, Hey Bruce, do you have any photos that show the hull sections shape more clearly ?

Im curious Dazcat hulls are a little different than the majority.

cheers

rr

23 hours ago, Bruce Sutherland said:

so now just the tedious winter mainteance to do 

Mulled wine for you Anarchist!

oldmulti at boatdesign.net has an extensive write up on more catamarans then anyone knew existed.

on this page 

https://www.boatdesign.net/threads/multihull-structure-thoughts.62361/page-88

I believe post 1,146 is the dazcat 995 write up. There maybe others. 
Oldmulti has an incredible string of write ups on multihullls if you are curious, I doubt one could do better.

Ben

• Like 2
On 10/18/2021 at 4:51 PM, SeaGul said:

I have urged the owner of the TRT over here to make a XL2  conversation at the bows.... but it took several years to get those hulls painted all up - so it will take a while... similar would be the SIG 45 - but the price is astronomy - and the concept not quite as clear as the TRT that is a development of the Shockwave 39 - using the main beam as a living volume and perfect work-bench for sailing. 

Not sure if this link will work
https://www.facebook.com/688454804905080/videos/953122958755866

• Like 1
4 hours ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

It works. Yes its some difference in the concept; the SW39 (37?) is more a racing boat - the TRT is a fast touring boat; Hullshape TRT has max volume symmetric hulls with flares to make big inside volume and the full length of the hull is living volume. Then the mainbeam 2m deep with two double beths and place for most of the sailing gear. Flat big solid floor and a rear beam of glassfiber with inside volume. Its very easy to sail singel or shorhanded or with family, can have two trolleys in the back of the cockpit. They made sandwich walled carbon wing-mast and booms for them - very light - but there was some breaking due to reefing so many now have Marstrøm masts that are heavier. I have an original Rosvold/Tolfsen mast on my T-35 much lighter than the Marstrøm mast that was on in two pieces when i got it. The TRT tend to stop at 22-23 knots - I think the bows is going deep and are the flares is in the water - so it could benefit from a similar bow as the new XL2.   

The cheeky commentary continues on the Dazcat FB page.  Some additional shots of @Bruce Sutherland's Bare Necessities (great pose by your familiar on the STB hull Bruce)!  And someone is getting into the spirit of competition by parking a ORC 50 (Artic Turn) next to D1495 (Hissy Fit).  

Be safe out there everyone!

BN.jpg

AT.jpg

^^ are you talking about the dog or the very classy graphic under the name?  :P:D

• Like 1

^^ 'yo brother, don't incriminate a fellow on a Friday night!

At least someone caught the cheeky comment!  :D

• 2 weeks later...

12M Dazcat on FB: https://www.facebook.com/commerce/listing/3975436649226388/?media_id=4&ref=share_attachment

$89,000 brit pounds need a refit++

• Like 1

One can dream.  What would a refit cost?  What does it need?  When was it built?  The lines on it are really beautiful.  Maybe dazcat/the multihull centre could do the refit and flip it into a new home.

-P

On 11/2/2021 at 6:05 PM, 2flit said:

12M Dazcat on FB

That would be a steal IF the structure is sound.  Right now smaller x-charter cats are selling for much more across the US and the E. Carib.

Several red flags to note in the write-up, one would be this comment: "Dazzle s paperwork has been lost in action . this means that although purchase is possible from any location, the process will be easiest for a uk based buyer."

Still might be a great ride for the right person with skills to get her up to speed.  Thanks for sharing!

Brilliant cats, good yard, awesome team. Can´t fault them. And I love their phylosophy about how to go about building and owning a cat. In the end, I did not buy one as circumstances changed for me. But if I would ever buy a cat, it would be a Dazcat. Nothing else.