Buy or not to buy a 40ft sail boat - where to keep it?

The question really is. I  plan to travel the pacific coast and possibly complete a passage to Hawaii starting next year. Now, I want to prepare the boat by getting it ready and practice on it. I have the time and money {somewhat!). But where do I keep it while do this. I don't want to pay rediculous slip fees. I don't think I need it. When my wife wants the live aboard experience I can rent a slip for the weekend end. 

So I want to know what anchorage option are available....and yes I would have a dingy and would mind using it and dealing with the storage problems. Any advise would help.

Sincerely,

Pre-retiring-wannabe-sailor 

In SoCal there are no options that are viable. Yes, there are a few anchor out areas, but ALL of them are open to southerly storms - all those beaches collect a few boats each winter. In San Diego & Newport Bch  there are some mooring fields, but you pay maintenance on them, and you must either buy them (Newport) or get on a waiting list (SD).

If you don't have enough from "real estate investing" to afford a slip then don't buy a boat that large.   Get a 30ft'er'ish that you can afford to keep as close to you as possible in a slip so you can actual use it and find out if sailing is for you.   Don't start with a 40ft'er.

Your first sailing lesson:

A boat will cost you about 10-15% of the purchase cost each year to own. I have owned trailer boats and they are not even immune to this math either. Doing the work yourself will not make you immune to this math. Any rationalization you can conjure in your head as to how it will be different for you will not make you immune to this math.

Your second sailing lesson:

Wear a life jacket.

42 minutes ago, rustylaru said:

Your first sailing lesson:

A boat will cost you about 10-15% of the purchase cost each year to own. I have owned trailer boats and they are not even immune to this math either. Doing the work yourself will not make you immune to this math. Any rationalization you can conjure in your head as to how it will be different for you will not make you immune to this math.

Your second sailing lesson:

Wear a life jacket.

Brilliant & true...  my slip fees in CT make people have a heart attack...

Are you inquiring about living on the boat, or finding a mooring for long term? You could make this work in the PNW if aboard most of the time. We have lots of protected anchorages, but no mooring fields. You would need a solid anchoring set up and be ready  to move around to shelter from storms. Also be ready for our wet, dark, and cold winters, but we do sail year round. There are lots of big and small marinas to duck into for provisioning. I am not recommending this, it is dark for 15 hours a day mid winter, and damp 24 hours a day 9 months a year, but it could be done.

As for docks, the deals are better away from the big cities. Olympia, Bellingham will be $100's less than the big Seattle options, but still 400+ a month. Another option is less convient spots, like on the wrong side of the Ballard locks or Duwamish waterway (a former superfund pollution site, don't eat the 2 headed fish).

Economically the smart way to do this is almost never done. Probably because the whole premise of sailing is irrational. Smartest would be to not buy any boat now. Find a way to take sailing and boat handling lessons on somebody else's boat. Then wait until you are fully ready to go cruising. Saving your money by not paying for storage and maintenance. Then about a month before departing on your cruise buy a boat that is mostly ready to go. Settle the last details and just go. 

(Yeah, I know...I'll let myself out.)

8 hours ago, Teamsolorzano said:

The question really is. I  plan to travel the pacific coast and possibly complete a passage to Hawaii starting next year. Now, I want to prepare the boat by getting it ready and practice on it. I have the time and money {somewhat!). But where do I keep it while do this. I don't want to pay rediculous slip fees. I don't think I need it. When my wife wants the live aboard experience I can rent a slip for the weekend end. 

So I want to know what anchorage option are available....and yes I would have a dingy and would mind using it and dealing with the storage problems. Any advise would help.

Sincerely,

You cannot, repeat, cannot easily prep a boat at a mooring. The border is opening back up, maybe keep it south of the border...

Your third sailing lesson:

Everything you need to know is on utube.

I am wondering why this is  thread on J boat anarchy. Are you looking at J boats . You may get more helpful advice on cruising anarchy,  

5 hours ago, Raz'r said:

You cannot, repeat, cannot easily prep a boat at a mooring

Why not? What does a dock offer except maybe a more stable platform to get heavy objects aboard?

Power - you have a some solar panels and an inverter to run your power tools. 

Water - well if you are living aboard you'll need to find water for yourself anyway on a regular basis anyway

I've done a LOT of stuff at anchor. Including building an 11' daggerboard and a new rudder on the foredeck.

2 hours ago, Zonker said:

Why not? What does a dock offer except maybe a more stable platform to get heavy objects aboard?

Power - you have a some solar panels and an inverter to run your power tools. 

Water - well if you are living aboard you'll need to find water for yourself anyway on a regular basis anyway

I've done a LOT of stuff at anchor. Including building an 11' daggerboard and a new rudder on the foredeck.

Ok, stated differently. If you’re working and have limited time, the time spent shuttling back and forth with significantly impact your projects…

and I think your foredeck is the size of a single car garage…

There are some sub-40 footers, permanently moored on the Willamette, with more on their foredecks than I have in my 2 car garage.

The line between homeless and liveaboard is blurring.

I think my foredeck was about badminton court. But a J boat doesn't have a 11' daggerboard so no worries for him.

I see your point however. But 5 minutes to get ashore doesn't seem like lots of time unless you keep forgetting to buy a screw and have to make multiple trips ashore during the day to buy stuff.

8 minutes ago, Zonker said:

I think my foredeck was about badminton court. But a J boat doesn't have a 11' daggerboard so no worries for him.

I see your point however. But 5 minutes to get ashore doesn't seem like lots of time unless you keep forgetting to buy a screw and have to make multiple trips ashore during the day to buy stuff.

That would be me, yes....

I met a guy who built a 36' catamaran on Kodiak island. His nearest neighbors were an Inuit village about 20 miles away by boat.

Everything (including drums of resin) had to come via US Post. Taking weeks.

"Fuck I need a 1" screw...."  Talk about planning in advance!

• Like 1
On 10/13/2021 at 4:59 AM, Teamsolorzano said:

Sincerely,

You want to do just what every other boat owner in So Cal is already doing but they are paying through the nose to do it and you want to do it cheap. not going to happen. you might have to change your plans a bit.  owning a boat means you are forever getting it ready to sail and practicing