LPE debt collection on TV….

Oh we're just a distribution center, you need to talk to the supplier in Portugal.  Oh, we can't pay your from here.  You need to talk to the branch in Germany.

Classic Nasty Rasty shell game.

Is there a Scranton branch?

• Like 6

Not really a surprise is it . It’s not like it’s the first time he hasn’t paid his suppliers is it.

The only thing surprising thing was the amount of Sunfish in the warehouse as they have no value at all in the uk, as there is no market for them at all. 

So I can only think they were being stored before being shipped to the USA. But surely it must be cheaper to ship direct from Portugal to the USA ? 

7 minutes ago, JM1366 said:

Okay, none of the boats I sail are made by LP, so forgive my ignorance. Is LP that bad of a company to deal with?

Err I think I quick scan of Laser or Sunfish threads on this forum for the last decade will tell you all you need to know about LP and Rasty. 
Or you could just Google Mcclaren baby buggies .

I am sure you will fine enough information to make your own mind up . 

14 minutes ago, ILYAScow said:

What do you sail then.

Mostly E and MC scows, formerly I-20s. I also sail J22 / J24 / J80 / J70 sailing at a club level with various friends. 

13 hours ago, torrid said:

Oh we're just a distribution center, you need to talk to the supplier in Portugal.  Oh, we can't pay your from here.  You need to talk to the branch in Germany.

Classic Nasty Rasty shell game.

Is there a Scranton branch?

oh what's this one then?

It's a fun boat

we can all get in it then

does it have a bar?!

classic stuff.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, JM1366 said:

Okay, none of the boats I sail are made by LP, so forgive my ignorance. Is LP that bad of a company to deal with?

A non-sailor bought up Laser Performance in Europe and Vanguard in the US.  Why a non-sailor would do that, I do not know.

He already had some shady dealings with his other companies.  He proceeded to alienate multiple class associations, cut back on distribution, and stop paying his bills.  There is also a decade-long series of lawsuits about payment of royalties on the Laser design, the subject of many, many threads.

He has completely run the company into the ground, but it somehow keeps functioning through a series of shell corporations.  The Laser class has moved on with new builders, but Sunfish class is pretty much screwed and stuck with LP.

• Like 2

Debt collectors calling the on LP warehouse in the uk to collect £10,000 for the company they were using to deliver their boats . 

They did get money in the end after being passed to LP Portugal, then LP Germany and finally LP in America ( I think ).

In the uk the advantage of getting a court order , is the court enforcement officers have the right of entry to a company ( by force if necessary) and can remove all company property to sell to pay the debt and for their cost too if the company does not pay up there and then :D

• Like 2
19 hours ago, Xeon said:

Not really a surprise is it . It’s not like it’s the first time he hasn’t paid his suppliers is it.

The only thing surprising thing was the amount of Sunfish in the warehouse as they have no value at all in the uk, as there is no market for them at all. 

So I can only think they were being stored before being shipped to the USA. But surely it must be cheaper to ship direct from Portugal to the USA ? 

those are probably 2022 worlds boats.

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, torrid said:

Did Nasty sic his lawyers on whoever posted it?  I guess that assumes he can still afford lawyers.

I wonder if he reads these threads.

You know he does.

1 hour ago, torrid said:

Did Nasty sic his lawyers on whoever posted it?  I guess that assumes he can still afford lawyers.

I wonder if he reads these threads.

Not likely to be Nasty , after all its a mater of court record and has been broadcast on tv in the uk by a company that would have  run its own lawyers over it.

More likely the op didn’t have the rights to post  the film clip in the USA . 
Unless of course Sailing anarchy has had its arm twisted ? :D

It’s just a good they didn’t take the sunfish to pay for the debt. They would have needed about 20,000 of them to cover the £10,000 debt :D:D:lol:

So do they at least have decent build quality? Relatively speaking, of course, being that we're talking about Lasers. Or is that aspect in the toilet too?

On 10/15/2021 at 1:56 PM, JM1366 said:

So do they at least have decent build quality? Relatively speaking, of course, being that we're talking about Lasers. Or is that aspect in the toilet too?

Nobody knows. LP is building Sunfish hulls without internal foam supports. Old timers are not happy; that's for sure.

13 hours ago, Wavedancer II said:

Nobody knows. LP is building Sunfish hulls without internal foam supports. Old timers are not happy; that's for sure.

Are there any structural modifications made to enable this? 

7 hours ago, Dex Sawash said:

Are there any structural modifications made to enable this? 

Apparently they have restructured their cash flow model...;-)

• Like 3
30 minutes ago, RobbieB said:

Apparently they have restructured their cash flow model...;-)

Presumably LP would have engineers who ran the numbers and determined that removing said foam was "OK". But whether LP actually did that and how it would pan out in the real world is a whole other matter. In any case, making changes to a one-design class without approval from the class organization... that ain't acceptable. 

• Like 2

I feel sorry for the hapless guy in the warehouse.  They probably once had a thriving operation, and now he's left trying to distribute what little product gets through.  He probably yields lots of angry phone calls from customers wondering where their stuff is.

I bet this isn't the first time he has had to deal with creditors showing up at the doorstep.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, JM1366 said:

Presumably LP would have engineers who ran the numbers and determined that removing said foam was "OK". But whether LP actually did that and how it would pan out in the real world is a whole other matter. In any case, making changes to a one-design class without approval from the class organization... that ain't acceptable. 

LP have engineers. Really?

LP have accountants, marketing bods, and some people who slap gel coat on stuff.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Flyingfish said:

Re: the British show - just when you thought you’d seen it all, LP make sure there is more!

Don't forget this is a reality show, so don't assume anything you see is necessarily accurate!

15 minutes ago, JimC said:

Don't forget this is a reality show, so don't assume anything you see is necessarily accurate!

What are the slander laws over there?  I would suspect they truly were $10k in arrears to someone and the collection police were really dispatched to do their thing with LP.  I could see some directorial liberties being taken regarding the "if or if not" the payment was going to make it through that day, but that's about it.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, JimC said:

Based on 10+ years of LP’s public shenanigans, it seems very likely this is very accurate.  

9 hours ago, JimC said:

Are you suggesting that the boats are really cardboard models or holograms and don't really exist?:D I ask because the sheriffs are real, the debt has to be real, it has to have been approved by the courts and before the sheriffs go in LP would have been contacted numerous times and given the chance to pay. There may be some clever editing to enhance the story, but the basics have to be accurate.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, SimonN said:

Are you suggesting that the boats are really cardboard models or holograms and don't really exist?:D I ask because the sheriffs are real, the debt has to be real, it has to have been approved by the courts and before the sheriffs go in LP would have been contacted numerous times and given the chance to pay. There may be some clever editing to enhance the story, but the basics have to be accurate.

Spot on . Tbh as Jim is uk based he must already know this. As he has also looked into the corporate back story of this on going soap opera and provided this forum with proper facts over the years , I am sure he knows how LP treat their suppliers and dealers . 

10 hours ago, SimonN said:

There may be some clever editing to enhance the story, but the basics have to be accurate.

Its just that I have little more confidence in the accuracy of a reality TV program than I have in the accuracy of a LP press release... Everything is done in the knowledge the cameras are present, and edited afterwards.

• Like 1