This is a concept I read about years ago, and looked forward to hearing more about... well, I still haven't heard anything more, and my google skills aren't helping. 

60'+ cats don't usually catch my attention, or at lease hold it. They're just beyond any sort of reality for me, and too foccussed on accommodation. But from what I can see, this is cool - sorta like a scaled up Gougeon 32. Well, I think so.

Does anyone know what she's doing these days? I can't imagine  she was a complete failure, or she'd have been taken off the Irens web page.

A65-Ext-03.jpg

• Like 4
23 minutes ago, ALL@SEA said:

Does anyone know what she's doing these days? I can't imagine  she was a complete failure, or she'd have been taken off the Irens web page.

The boat is still there in Emirates and still has the same Owner. 

Not sure if I have seen her on Irens web-site, but she was always (and still is) on Anglay's site (called A66 there).

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

I think that cat of Nigel's is named ALLEGRA built in the Emirates. 

One more ALLEGRA ? 

Build at Green Marine in the UK, the 24m (78ft) high performance cruising ALLEGRA Catamaran APC 78 brings together the experience of Nigel Irens in designing some of the fastest yachts to have ever sailed around the planet with Green Marine’s renowned skills as one of the world’s best lightweight custom race boat builders.

unquote

"It is a tamed racing catamaran with an ultra-lightweight interior and a high specification. It is meant to fly a hull in 12 knots of wind, whilst still being easy to handle. "

"Part of the secret to the boat’s performance is that, like all Irens-Cabaret designed record breaking trimarans of the last decade - from Ellen MacArthur’s B&Q trimaran to Francis Joyon’s IDEC and Thomas Coville’s Sodebo, the GTcat 66 has very slim hulls and is long for her beam. “Long slender hulls have less drag,” which is a fundamental philosophy Nigel has pushed throughout his long career in designing multihulls. "

Yes on trimarans thats works well - but a narrow cat that is intended to fly a hull very early - isnt that very easy to capsize? Like the narrow Reynolds 33 - didnt get a good reputation?  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, can-UK said:

She’s in Port Rashid Marina in Dubai.

The boat is very narrow for its length.  I assume this is to encourage early hull flying.

https://enata.com/product/gtcat

Narrow for length, or long for beam?

18 minutes ago, SeaGul said:

Yes on trimarans thats works well - but a narrow cat that is intended to fly a hull very early - isnt that very easy to capsize? Like the narrow Reynolds 33 - didnt get a good reputation?  

As I said, to me its sorta like a scaled up G32. Not having sailed one, I'll defer to those who have. 

• Like 1

She’s narrow for her length… like a G32.

I’m pretty sure the G32 had 1) a masthead float and 2) the ability to self right from a capsize..   This boat has neither. 

Though it is based in Dubai which has predominantly light winds.. so less of a risk of capsizing.

The boat looks great in person… looks fun to sail.  I’d love to see it on the race course against my trimaran.

The “front tiller” is interesting.  I wonder how much visibility you have tiller steering in front of the cabin house.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, can-UK said:

She’s narrow for her length… like a G32.

I’m pretty sure the G32 had 1) a masthead float and 2) the ability to self right from a capsize..   This boat has neither. 

Though it is based in Dubai which has predominantly light winds.. so less of a risk of capsizing.

At 12.5 tons "Full load", this boat has inertia in her favor, meaning it will be slower to respond to wind gusts.  Looks great!

With the long hulls it not so fast to head up in a gust - need to adjust the sails instead - and narrow beam means the healing will be noticable at one hull.  

not a boat for world cruising.

nothing on that boat layout spells simplicity.

no solar either........

nothing on that boat makes me go wow, just the opposite.

1 hour ago, mpenman said:

not a boat for world cruising.tnothing on that boat layout spells simplicity.

no solar either........

nothing on that boat makes me go wow, just the opposite.

Looks pretty simple to sail to me-motorized mainsail hoist, self tacking jib, roller furled gennaker.  Don't need solar for a day cruiser (note it is in a marina with shore power).  True it isn't set up for world cruising, that's not its niche.  I think it looks great and probably is a lot of fun in the right breeze. Love the hull form especially the float stern (of course, that's what my boat transom looks like since also a Nigel Irens although much smaller).   Dunno why they want horses on their sails, though. I'd buy one if I was younger but as others have pointed out, it probably wouldn't fare well in the bigger winds I see in SF Bay.   

looks pretty impressive to me.

Beam is still 8m so it will have the same righting moment as any other 12 ton 8m wide boat. Just have to reef earlier when cruising.

Its motion at sea will be very good with the narrower beam as well. Also down wind she will handle beautifully with the narrower beam.

• Like 2

All looks nice and quick but I personally see no reason for a narrow boat unless built for cheap berthing like a Reynolds 33 (narrow beam 14ft..?) It's a one trick pony for day use.  Beam = safety.
It's a bit like Atomic https://www.yoti.com.au/listing/mbd-50-atomic
Obscene money for a day sailor but if you've got it................ 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

All looks nice and quick but I personally see no reason for a narrow boat unless built for cheap berthing like a Reynolds 33 (narrow beam 14ft..?) It's a one trick pony for day use.  Beam = safety.

That 50ft mono is cheap - here the Sun Fast 3300 has become popular - at 200T Euros - I dont get it.... 

• Like 1
On 10/22/2021 at 11:10 AM, PIL66 - XL2 said:

It's being auctioned off for pennies.

On 10/22/2021 at 2:10 PM, PIL66 - XL2 said:

How much did you just add to XL2? Do you think she's be slower with another 10' added in the middle?

19 hours ago, ALL@SEA said:

How much did you just add to XL2? Do you think she's be slower with another 10' added in the middle?

haha... yes it could go on like that... 

On 10/25/2021 at 10:48 PM, ALL@SEA said:

XL2 is on the boarder of max width for length.... to the point where it is way more likely to pitchpoll than capsize.....
Sailing A narrow 14-16ft version of XL2 in my paddock would be super stressful .... and not on my to own list 

11 minutes ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

XL2 is on the boarder of max width for length.... to the point where it is way more likely to pitchpoll than capsize.....
Sailing A narrow 14-16ft version of XL2 in my paddock would be super stressful .... and not on my to own list 

I'm not talking about reducing beam, but extending length. Keeping all else equal, would she sail better at 50'?

18 hours ago, ALL@SEA said:

I'm not talking about reducing beam, but extending length. Keeping all else equal, would she sail better at 50'?

YES -  there is the answer Pil.

Cut it up again &...... add 8 ft in the middle....               .:lol: :D :lol: :P :ph34r:

20 hours ago, ALL@SEA said:
20 hours ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

But it can never be all else equal. Weight would go up for a longer boat.

That said, if you extend LWL of the hulls only without adding any more accommodation, the weight increase isn’t big and the boat should be significantly be faster in medium/heavy winds and slightly slower in light/medium winds.

To fag packet illustrate, using (expired) XL2 data off the current OMR listings:

RL: 11.47, RWeight (no crew): 1120 kg, RSA (Main and jib only): 38.48 m2. Indicative Base (average) Speed: 12.2 knots.

if you extended the hulls to (say) 13 metres and the weight increase was (say) 150 kg, the numbers become:

RL: 13.00, RWeight (no crew): 1270 kg, RSA (Main and jib only): 38.48 m2. Indicative Base (average) Speed: 12.5 knots.

If you were to put XL2 on a diet and save 150 kg in weight, the numbers become:

RL: 11.47, RWeight (no crew): 970 kg, RSA (Main and jib only): 38.48 m2. Indicative Base (average) Speed: 12.6 knots.

And if you put the 150 kg weight saving back as extra  length, the numbers become:

RL: 13.00,  RWeight (no crew): 1120 kg, RSA (Main and jib only): 38.48 m2. Indicative Base (average) Speed: 13.0 knots.

FWIW, OMR doesn’t rate beam, so extra RM gained with beam is free performance.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Sidecar said:

To fag packet illustrate, using (expired) XL2 data off the current OMR listings:

RL: 11.47, RWeight (no crew): 1120 kg, RSA (Main and jib only): 38.48 m2. Indicative Base (average) Speed: 12.2 knots.

What?? Is XL2 only 1120kg?? No I think its more around 3200 maybe a little more... 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SeaGul said:

What?? Is XL2 only 1120kg?? No I think its more around 3200 maybe a little more... 

Apologies. Well spotted. I jumped a row reading across the spreadsheet. The RSA is incorrect as well.

So RL is still 11.47 and Rweight is 3260 kg and RSA is 101.61 m2. Doesn’t change the principle though, Corrected Base (average) Speeds in the same order as above: 12.9 knots, 13.0 knots, 13.6 knots and 13.7 knots respectively.

I thought it was a bit light……