I have two questions regarding j35 galley. First, the foot pump for the galley sink doesn't work. I've taken it apart and reassembled and it just seems worn out. Does anyone make a replacement? Second and final, there are two disc shaped "fuel cells" that would seem to fuel the galley stove. They say "made in sweden". Can they be replenished or do they need to be replaced? If they need to be replaced, does anyone still manufacture them? Thanks for any help.

If it's a Whale Gusher get the rebuild kit and try that first. Maybe an o-ring is bad and it's sucking air. Saying "it doesn't work" is not very helpful for others to diagnose.

Did you put the check valves back in the right way? When you reinstalled did you get the suction and discharge connections correct?

5 hours ago, Tack nazi said:

I have two questions regarding j35 galley. First, the foot pump for the galley sink doesn't work. I've taken it apart and reassembled and it just seems worn out. Does anyone make a replacement? Second and final, there are two disc shaped "fuel cells" that would seem to fuel the galley stove. They say "made in sweden". Can they be replenished or do they need to be replaced? If they need to be replaced, does anyone still manufacture them? Thanks for any help.

The stove is probably an Origo model 3000.  My limited understanding is I think they were bought by Dometic/stove was discontinued.  That said they are great stoves.  The two cannisters you describe should look like large tuna fish cans with a grate in the middle and filled with what looks like cotton.  As mentioned up thread you add stove alcohol with the one caveat is when new they come with a neoprene circular piece that is probably long since gone/discarded.  The purpose of it is to cover the grate/opening when the stove is not in use for long periods of time to keep the alcohol from evaporating when not being used.  YMMV and just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

Yep, our pump is a whale gusher foot pump, pretty standard.  Our oven/stove is a gas version though.  Storm

On the water system - I refurbished mine this year, installing a sink/counter salvaged from a newer version and replaced almost all of the hoses.  You may want to fill the system with water and shock great it with bleach before using to sterilize it and kill any odors... A lot of the boats that have been races more or less never used the water tanks.  

I am also considering adding a small 12v DC pump and joining it via a T fitting to a hose near the pickup as draining the tank - which is secured inside the settee -  requires removing a dozen screws holding the dryer base down.  It is a PITA and a pump run from tank to bilge would simplify things.  For the record, on overnight and longer trips, the sinks are a quality of life game changer. 

1 hour ago, Lex Teredo said:

Yep, our pump is a whale gusher foot pump, pretty standard.  Our oven/stove is a gas version though.  Storm

On the water system - I refurbished mine this year, installing a sink/counter salvaged from a newer version and replaced almost all of the hoses.  You may want to fill the system with water and shock great it with bleach before using to sterilize it and kill any odors... A lot of the boats that have been races more or less never used the water tanks.  

I am also considering adding a small 12v DC pump and joining it via a T fitting to a hose near the pickup as draining the tank - which is secured inside the settee -  requires removing a dozen screws holding the dryer base down.  It is a PITA and a pump run from tank to bilge would simplify things.  For the record, on overnight and longer trips, the sinks are a quality of life game changer. 

I found a tiny little 12v pump with a pressure sensor on it. tying in to the same water feed that the whale pump draws from adding a little faucet about the sink with a movable/retractable  spray nozzle. . 

• Like 1
On 10/15/2021 at 2:53 PM, Zonker said:

If it's a Whale Gusher get the rebuild kit and try that first. Maybe an o-ring is bad and it's sucking air. Saying "it doesn't work" is not very helpful for others to diagnose.

Did you put the check valves back in the right way? When you reinstalled did you get the suction and discharge connections correct?

For under $100, get a new pump!  My shop rate is $120 an hour, just to open it up is going to run $75 or more!  I’ve chased air leaks in Racors for days.  By the time I found the issue, it was easily more than the replacement part, which I ended up replacing in the end!   

3 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

I found a tiny little 12v pump with a pressure sensor on it. tying in to the same water feed that the whale pump draws from adding a little faucet about the sink with a movable/retractable  spray nozzle. . 

Thanks Bump. Will think about that. 

On 10/15/2021 at 6:15 PM, @last said:

The stove is probably an Origo model 3000.  My limited understanding is I think they were bought by Dometic/stove was discontinued.  That said they are great stoves.  The two cannisters you describe should look like large tuna fish cans with a grate in the middle and filled with what looks like cotton.  As mentioned up thread you add stove alcohol with the one caveat is when new they come with a neoprene circular piece that is probably long since gone/discarded.  The purpose of it is to cover the grate/opening when the stove is not in use for long periods of time to keep the alcohol from evaporating when not being used.  YMMV and just my 2 cents.

I think this is exactly what I have. I'll try adding and lighting stove alcohol out in the parking lot and see how that goes. Thanks.

7 hours ago, Tack nazi said:

I think this is exactly what I have. I'll try adding and lighting stove alcohol out in the parking lot and see how that goes. Thanks.

Happy to help.  Loved the J/35 the 7 years I owned it. I sailed it thousands of offshore miles and although my race crew may not have always loved the freeze dried food that was served off it, it was very nice to have a hot meal or in the case of coffee drinkers a warm cup o joe.  Not sure if you have the front rail and adjustable pot holders but I also found those very valuable in addition to it being gimballed.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, @last said:

Happy to help.  Loved the J/35 the 7 years I owned it. I sailed it thousands of offshore miles and although my race crew may not have always loved the freeze dried food that was served off it, it was very nice to have a hot meal or in the case of coffee drinkers a warm cup o joe.  Not sure if you have the front rail and adjustable pot holders but I also found those very valuable in addition to it being gimballed.

Origo 3000 was a great, simple, robust, reliable little stove.  Can't understand why it's been discontinued.  

a14bd9516e2fe1f33f79621b8ed326ab.jpg

Dometic ORIGO 3000 Double Burner - Non-Pressurized Alcohol Stove |  Classifieds for Jobs, Rentals, Cars, Furniture and Free Stuff

8 hours ago, Crash said:

Origo 3000 was a great, simple, robust, reliable little stove.  Can't understand why it's been discontinued.  

a14bd9516e2fe1f33f79621b8ed326ab.jpg

Dometic ORIGO 3000 Double Burner - Non-Pressurized Alcohol Stove |  Classifieds for Jobs, Rentals, Cars, Furniture and Free Stuff

That's exactly what I have. Thanks. 

17 hours ago, @last said:

The gas oven is cash money on cold wet days.  Cook a frozen casserole in the oven, and it warms up the cabin and dries it out, and there's hot food for cold crew.  Got a gymballed camp stove / percolator that performs a similar role on a smaller scale.  

Had one of those Origo's on our Catalina 27.  It was a very good stove, easier to use and fewer concerns about gas leaks & etc. than the LPG stove.  Not as hot, but easier to use.  Just take care not to spill any alcohol on the stove top when filling the burner elements.  

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Lex Teredo said:

The gas oven is cash money on cold wet days.  Cook a frozen casserole in the oven, and it warms up the cabin and dries it out, and there's hot food for cold crew.  Got a gymballed camp stove / percolator that performs a similar role on a smaller scale.  

Had one of those Origo's on our Catalina 27.  It was a very good stove, easier to use and fewer concerns about gas leaks & etc. than the LPG stove.  Not as hot, but easier to use.  Just take care not to spill any alcohol on the stove top when filling the burner elements.  

Open it up, take canister out and fill in/over the sink.  Then put (full) canister back in stove. Prevents spilled fuel becoming potential fire source…

Water, lots of it, is a great way to put out alcohol fires…

I store the fuel on board in MSR fuel bottles. They are much easier to pour the fuel out of into the canister AND they don't rust like the steel can the fuel usually comes in. Another trick I've heard but haven't tried is to find a tin can about the size of the opening on the canister and poke a hole in the bottom. Set that over the opening of the canister and pour into that. 

On 10/19/2021 at 8:48 PM, Crash said:

Open it up, take canister out and fill in/over the sink.  Then put (full) canister back in stove. Prevents spilled fuel becoming potential fire source…

Water, lots of it, is a great way to put out alcohol fires…

Yeah, I'm not that smart.