Mouldy Dacron sails

I'm about to bust my trailer sailer out of lockdown. I am mortified about how dirty it got, sorry boat.

What is the best way to clean mouldy sails ?

"Sail cleaner" is essentially the same thing as OxiClean. The standard advice is to let the sails soak and give it time to work; don't try to accelerate it by mixing it up any stronger than recommended, and then hoist them in the sun after soaking and rinsing.

Sadly you will struggle to get black mould out the material once it’s in there. Anti mould products will help slow the growth of new mould but not stop it

Mold and Mildew get under the resin coating that’s applied to the cloth.  Any chemicals or scrubbing will break down the resin and/or fiber.  I like to use Oxiclean and Borax, scrub gently on a warm sunny day, rinse well, and then go sailing to dry the sails out.  The stains are just cosmetic, and won’t harm the sail! 

24 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

This is exactly why I like black sails!

So around here we should buy moss green sails?

54 minutes ago, 12 metre said:

Pendragon 1978 TQTC_.jpg

This photo of Pendragon I believe is from the 1978 3/4 Ton Worlds, which as most of you likely know, they won.

Off topic:  Only 6 crew - only a few of which are casually "hiking".  What is of note is that they all seem to have their heads out of the boat - rather than staring at their smart phones.  Yeah I know, smart phones didn't exist back then - but I hope you get the point.

This photo is from back in the days when 10 or more bodies weren't "needed" to race a 34 footer (and a rather complex and tender one at that what with the daggerboard)

• Like 1
9 hours ago, 12 metre said:

Maybe North has some of their "garbage bag" mylar squirrelled away somewhere

Pendragon 1978 TQTC_.jpg

I remember buying new greenish-grey laminated mylar North jibs as late as 2010 or 2011. Actually a pretty nice material for them.

pressure washer [low power electric] worked well on the sunbrella  canvas like covers

unsure on longer term effects or effects on the actual sails but my mildew was limited to the covers

Hydrogen peroxide works well in a 50/50 solution. I add a little diluted Murphy mint soap. A soft sponge wettened wipe down those moldy parts as well as clean the threads, blood stains  and dirty bits. Set in sun for an hour. Lightly rinse off with sprinkler head hose head . Let dry.  the Murphy’s soap scent will smell good as it sits in the bag. Will be nearly as good as a commercial cleaner.  if you do this anticipating a long non sail period - you will not have mold when you open the bag in 3, 6 months or even a year.