Mast Displays for Zeus Touch/Triton2 System

The 30-footer I just acquired has Zeus Touch 8 and Triton2 displays on the aft cabin bulkhead. I'm new to the wide world of B&G. What single-number displays, similar to a 20/20 are suitable for mast mounting and compatible with existing system?  

You could look into the Raymarine RaceMaster and MicroTalk?  The MicroTalk with a STNG - NEMA2000 cable can be plugged into your Chart Plotter.  The MicroTalk will wirelessly feed the RaceMater on the mast. 

• Like 1

Depends what are you trying to do, what information you want on the mast, budget and how much you care about custom fields (eg polar data). 

Below are a bunch of mast-compatible options. 

General NMEA 2000 repeaters:

- Garmin GNX 120 is a popular 7” repeater nowadays. Displays 1 large and 2 small data fields. Will not usually display proprietary non-Garmin fields (eg B&G H5000 polar-related fields) unless you go through a laptop running Expedition or similar to convert the proprietary fields to custom N2K fields.

- B&G 20/20 HV displays 1 large field.

- Sailmon Element (Ink/7/10 versions) is like multiple repeaters in one, but priced accordingly ($$$). 

- Some people even mount multiple standard B&G Triton 2 (or other brand) 4” multifunction displays, which is more budget-friendly and works for standard N2K datafields (but usually not custom N2K fields). 

-  I’m not including NKE multidisplay because I don’t think it is N2K compatible (could be wrong). It’s a more flexible 7” display broadly comparable to the Sailmon Element.

Heading-focused standalone displays:

- Raymarine Racemaster. Integrated compass can be used standalone, helps identify windshifts. Can also display some external data fields (BSP, Wind) via the Microtalk wireless interface, but much more limited than a general N2K repeater. Wireless capability does make it easy to install. 

Heading+GPS focused standalone displays:

- Velocitek ProStart. Standalone unit with integrated compass + GPS, good to monitor heading + GPS SOG/COG, also good as a start timer. Will not interface with your other electronics however. 

- NovaSail NS360 (or the more basic NS-Start). Generally comparable to Velocitek ProStart, less well-known (French-designed), but probably a few more bells & whistles. 

- Sailmon Max. Don’t know too much, but looks generally comparable to the above, probably higher-end.  Interfaces with Sailmon app. 

Multifunction standalone displays:

- Vakaros Atlas 2: kind of like a standalone version of a Sailmon Element display, with integrated GPS/heading… TBD when it ships. See the other thread in Gear Anarchy. 

Did I miss anything?  I have direct experience with only a portion of these systems, YMMV.

Tell us what problem you’re trying to solve, and we can probably narrow down the field. 

• Like 2

As galacticair mentioned, on a 30 footer you should be able get to away with more Tritons on a mast mount set up with single line or dual line data. They are clear enough to see from that distance. 

5 minutes ago, Slick470 said:

As galacticair mentioned, on a 30 footer you should be able get to away with more Tritons on a mast mount set up with single line or dual line data. They are clear enough to see from that distance. 

Quoting myself... Here is a picture that I had saved off of a 30 something sportything with Triton's on the mast as an example.

19787112_1333046813460977_441455827234373248_o.thumb.jpg.62051a40007f8b077f634a5d757739a0.jpg

That's the cape 31. I wrote to them to find out about that mast mount but never heard back.

Thanks for the input guys.

Looks like Triton2 displays are economical and the simplest solution. Just seems like a lot of wasted real estate (number size vs. unit dimension). Those Garmin GNX 120 displays look sweet, but add $200+ per and some complexity. Probably overkill.

I've never heard of the Nasa Instruments Yacht Repeters. They appear inexpensive and a possible solution. Anyone have experience with them?

I'm just looking to display BS, TWS, TWD, HDG.

For 4 numbers another option would be one B&G H5000 graphic display in 2x2 grid mode, as shown on the mast here: https://www.bandg.com/en-gb/blog/calibrating-an-h5000-instrument-system/

But that’s about the same price as 2x Triton and probably less readable/flexible overall. The H5000 graphic display only has a 5” screen so a lot less screen real estate than 2x 4.1” Triton 2s, though the rectangular screen is a little more space efficient. 

No idea on NASA, never seemed very popular or modern (still NMEA 0183).