Zero alcohol wine and beer anarchy

For the time being I am not drinking alcohol.  But I miss the pleasant beer or wine or two while reading in the back yard, etc.

Got zero alcohol Heineken from Amazon. Sweetish. Gave me a headache. 4 of 6 bottles removed from fridge to pantry.

Have some Sutter Home zero alcohol Fre "champagne" from Amazon will try today. Not expecting much. Seemed best of bad lot there.

Anybody know of anything sold  in the US that's not nasty or sweet?  Beer or wine, that is...

Or should I just forget it and stick to water? I don't want sugary drinks and juices or artificial sweeteners. 

Thanks.

Pointless. Stick to water or juice. I water my juices down if drinking more than one (sometimes with vodka or hooch rather than water). The sugar in drinks, especially in candy-ass NA stuff, is a bad thing.

• Like 4
35 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

For the time being I am not drinking alcohol.  But I miss the pleasant beer or wine or two while reading in the back yard, etc.

Got zero alcohol Heineken from Amazon. Sweetish. Gave me a headache. 4 of 6 bottles removed from fridge to pantry.

Have some Sutter Home zero alcohol Fre "champagne" from Amazon will try today. Not expecting much. Seemed best of bad lot there.

Anybody know of anything sold  in the US that's not nasty or sweet?  Beer or wine, that is...

Or should I just forget it and stick to water? I don't want sugary drinks and juices or artificial sweeteners. 

Thanks.

Try Upside Dawn by Athletic Brewing, I get it by the 12 pack and very tasty.

• Like 2

Talk of sugar, omg I opened the Fre Brut. Sweet! I think sparkling cider is more brut. More refined aftertaste than cold duck but it's juice.  Water looking better...

So I have ordered some of the Upside Dawn. Golden and the Mexican style. Hope springs eternal.

Will report back.

Thanks! 

• Like 1

Our non alcoholic go to is club soda with a splash of lemon. Unless you need to completely abstain for any variety of reasons, we have one…..just one…..cocktail most evenings. It’s sipping so it’s kinda relaxing pleasant. 

• Like 2

St. Pauli Girl N.A. is good. I drank that for 2 years while I was not drinking.

My wife now drinks Bud Zero, or Genesee NA. Both of which I find to be fouls swill.

I also find that when I take a liver break, Really good ginger beer does the trick. It won't help your wallet out, but it fills a void in your soul.

Heineken NA, O'doul's, Kaliber, etc. all suck.

• Like 1

Charlotte reports that Klausthaler, Erdinder, Buckler, Becks, and Bitburger 0 alcohol beers are very good. They’re highly rated in Germany, and I figure the Krauts should know their biers.

They’re somewhat high in carbs, so I can’t try them. I did take a sip of her Becks, and it wasn’t bad. 

• Like 2

We had some Athletic Brewing IPA recently - not as good as a good alcoholic IPA, but better than drinking something like a heineken for sure, especially if you like hoppy stuff.

• Like 2

Well, I have a nice list now, thanks. I will see how the first one goes and keep looking. Fewer carbs or calories are preferred.

I am not supposed to drink during radiation therapy. After, they say better not to. Well, I am thinking if I don't drink alcohol at home, when I cheat in restaurants or on vacation it won't be too risky.

Or maybe I will end up giving it up. I do like good wine though. 

1 minute ago, NeedAClew said:

Well, I have a nice list now, thanks. I will see how the first one goes and keep looking. Fewer carbs or calories are preferred.

I am not supposed to drink during radiation therapy. After, they say better not to. Well, I am thinking if I don't drink alcohol at home, when I cheat in restaurants or on vacation it won't be too risky.

Or maybe I will end up giving it up. I do like good wine though. 

Tough times.  May the wind be in your sails.

• Like 2

Thanks for the good wishes. The surgery went really well and I am over halfway through radiation. It's not bad so far; I think it gets tougher from now on. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

Talk of sugar, omg I opened the Fre Brut. Sweet! I think sparkling cider is more brut. More refined aftertaste than cold duck but it's juice.  Water looking better...

So I have ordered some of the Upside Dawn. Golden and the Mexican style. Hope springs eternal.

Will report back.

Thanks! 

So far everyone I’ve shared the upside dawn with has been pleasantly surprised , keep us posted:-)

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Charlotte reports that Klausthaler, Erdinder, Buckler, Becks, and Bitburger 0 alcohol beers are very good. They’re highly rated in Germany, and I figure the Krauts should know their biers.

They’re somewhat high in carbs, so I can’t try them. I did take a sip of her Becks, and it wasn’t bad. 

The Germans make pretty good non-alcoholic beers.  Someone has to drive the crew to the Biergarten and back, and the Polizei and the Autobahnen have little tolerance for operator alcohol consumption. But they still should be able to enjoy a decent beer while there.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, Borax Johnson said:

I watched my dad die from COPD over the course of 4 years, from smoking his (mostly) life. No way am I going to smoke anything.

Excellent call. 

14 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

Thanks.

Used to drink Alcohol Free Heineken with lemon out in Saudi a very refreshing drink.. Alcohol free beers got banned in one Arabic country because they supposedly rebrewed themselves to have alcohol.. I'll bet the did with little help from yeast..:D .

Though I generally made my own cider..  Funnily enough, cartons of fruit juice including grape, sugar  and yeast .. All arranged in a row in some supermarkets out there...

Being diabetic, it's zero cal fruit squash for me on a hot day these days.. 

13 hours ago, Borax Johnson said:

I watched my dad die from COPD over the course of 4 years, from smoking his (mostly) life. No way am I going to smoke anything.

Never made Brownies I guess

Smoking is Smoking no matter what

Vape(C) maybe worse for many reasons (like some think it's harmless so ...)

the THC & CBD are what makes it

back in early 80's I got a thing called a TILT

you could put shit weed on the plate and slowly turn the heat up till the THC/CBD vaporized 

and tasted Sweet while Kicking yer Ass without the Heat and rubbish from smoke

image.jpeg.8d3da5ec9972aa1ef1759ddf6a8649a8.jpeg

I wish I could partake BUT

tho Tweakers are free to Tweak and break into yer house to steel yer shit and Heroin Addicts get Free Needels

a Commercial Driver Can Not operate a Work-Vehicle 2-3 weeks after smoking a Joint or otherwise using THC

STUPID FUCKING WORLD it IS Today !!!!!

What kind of radiation do you get? 

While doing my treatment, total abstination was neccessary during chemo and 48 after it, during radiotherapy it wasn't so; of course, not too much alchohol. I wish you good luck!

Regarding non-alchoholic beer, just don't take heiniken, it's even worst than regular. As suggested before, some german brands, like erdinger, make pretty good non-alchoholoc beer.

• Like 1

When I HAD to stop drinking , tried O'duls ,which sucks. The a bartender starting making a Lime ( from real limes) and soda water, Then Heineken came out with a zero , fine if you like regular Heineken , Budweiser came out with a Zero which is much lighter and cheaper. The problem is a lot of bars don't have them. Asked one Bar to change to Bud 00 and I would be a regular, They said I would have to drink all the O'duls first, never went back.

Luckily the pub ( on the water) has Bud 00's so I'm a regular

• Like 1

If you come across any acceptable dealcoholized red wine, let us know.  I'm going to try a few.  It's only a matter of time before you my liver does what Homer's brain did (does) and gives up on me.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, PurpleOnion said:

If you come across any acceptable dealcoholized red wine, let us know.  I'm going to try a few.  It's only a matter of time before you my liver does what Homer's brain did (does) and gives up on me.

Beet Juice

Yummmm, clicks all the Fine Wine Boxes and is REALLY GOOD for you !!!!!

4 hours ago, dijo_porko said:

What kind of radiation do you get? 

While doing my treatment, total abstination was neccessary during chemo and 48 after it, during radiotherapy it wasn't so; of course, not too much alchohol. I wish you good luck!

Regarding non-alchoholic beer, just don't take heiniken, it's even worst than regular. As suggested before, some german brands, like erdinger, make pretty good non-alchoholoc beer.

I get whole breast radiation from some machine called Axesse. 5 days a week. Driving home in crap traffic (people have forgotten their commutes, crazed last minute lane swerves) I sure want a nice beer. Or champagne when I am done.

They said it increases side effects. Don't want some of those skin ones.

After they say maybe 1 drink a day "might " be ok. Problem is I like my 7 drinks a week in 2 sittings. But maybe if it evens out not taking hormone blockers....

23 hours ago, Son of a Sailor said:

Clausterhaler is good. The original pilsner is okay but the dark is much better. It can be tough to find sometimes.

https://www.clausthaler.us/

Gotta disagree on this one...  the pilsner is better.   Personal tastes and all that. :)    And the darker (dry hopped) version has that yeasty stuff in the bottom, so you have to pour into a glass to drink.  Reminded me of the few home brew batches I attempted 15+ years ago.

I've tried dozens of NA beers since giving up on alcohol many years ago.  And the Clausthaler is hands down my favorite.  Best to buy at Trader Joes at $6.99

Tried the Heineken and had to throw it out.  Possibly the worst of the bunch.

Some local (to me) micro-brewers are making NA beers now, and that is pretty exciting.   

• Like 1
On 10/17/2021 at 9:50 PM, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Doooooooooood, you smoked entire buildings.

Thank you for your service. 

That's exactly what I always though - why would firefighters give a shit about tobacco smoke. :D

So I got my shipment of Athletic Brewing Upside Dawn Golden Ale and Cerveza Athletica. Both are good. I certainly will drink them all.  I found the Upside Dawn a bit more floral than I am used to but at 50 calories no complaints. The Cerveza Athletica is the one I prefer. Crisp. 60 calories.

Will report on next iterations.  Thanks again.

• Like 1
On 10/17/2021 at 1:53 PM, dolphinmaster said:

Try Upside Dawn by Athletic Brewing, I get it by the 12 pack and very tasty.

The other one they do that I like the best is Run Wild IPA.

Dont try Bravus, I got their sample pack and they all suck.

IMHO a the big name ones like Heineken also all suck.

• Like 2

I’ve never found an alcohol free wine that tasted remotely acceptable - either red or white. I’ve always ended up pouring them down the drain. I try and maintain the discipline of not drinking during the week and only on Friday and Saturday nights. I was getting into the habit of a few glasses of wine with my dinner every night. I now drink Krombacher alcohol free beer or Baltika alcohol free beer, either of which to be honest I couldn’t tell from a normal lager beer except you don’t get pissed on them. Much more refreshing than a coke or a sprite and less sugar. An alternative is half fresh orange juice and sparkling water which  I also like. I must say I miss the old glass of wine with my dinner though….☹️

On 10/28/2021 at 10:03 AM, NeedAClew said:

Thanks looks like good resource.

I got a couple cases of Kaló after seeing it mentioned here. Had one last night, not bad. Nice flavor, not too sweet, and the physical effect I was looking for - otherwise I'd just drink seltzer or something. Not sure if it'll become a staple for me yet, but I could definitely see it as an alternative to booze. Bit of a slow burn on setting in, so I wouldn't put something like this out for people to just grab if they're thirsty.

So, this isn't really beer, think of it as hoppy carbonated water. I kinda like it. But, club soda with lime is always good:

image.png.b5d89a08240f55ac60d7d4241e5b6853.png

And good luck with the treatment.

1 hour ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

if someone hasnt said this yet, I will

this is the most depressing thread subject to keep coming across

It is.  Maybe I should just give up alcohol and drink Perrier or some fancy sparkling water. 

I'll try beet juice next. I was a 4 finger bourbon a night fellow and really had to stop.

I have found that unsweetened 100% tart cherry juice has a ton of complex bite and sour notes that really help trick my taste buds at night. 

Pomegranate juice too.

The beet juice sits down on the same unpopular shelf at my grocery. I've been really curious to give it a go.

I think I'm at around a month alcohol free.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, rhpaw said:

I'll try beet juice next. I was a 4 finger bourbon a night fellow and really had to stop.

I have found that unsweetened 100% tart cherry juice has a ton of complex bite and sour notes that really help trick my taste buds at night. 

Pomegranate juice too.

The beet juice sits down on the same unpopular shelf at my grocery. I've been really curious to give it a go.

Better to talk about non alcoholic cocktails. I agree with you. When I take a sabbatical I drink cranberry pomegranate juice with club soda and add grenadine if needed. The sharp bubbly water with those juices really tastes great. We have a really nice carbonating unit. I also drink club soda and limes a lot when out for dinner.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, rhpaw said:

Pomegranate juice too.

Beet juice is meh!  Not much pop or complexity,  really good for the lining of your arteries though !!!

No/low alcohol beers tend to be a rip-off in my experience ... water has more taste than some of them. 

But I discovered that they can be substituted for many regular mixers and they are can make a Corrido Prohibito (aka the Mexican Redneck Margarita). In my opinion they taste better than actual beer in that drink because they don't kill the taste of the tequila!

My favorite cocktail to make with no/low alcohol beer is definitely the Half-Virgin Corrido Prohibido ...

1. Put crushed ice in rocks glass for a minute or two to chill the glass and then discard ice.

2. Pour one and a half shots of clear tequila in chilled glass.

3. Add half-bottle of fairly neutral no-alcohol beer like the Heineken version.

4. Add lime wedge and tiny shake of kosher salt.  Do not stir.

These are really hydrating and delicious. They also have less alcohol than a regular C.P..

Drank Mt Gay most of my sailing life, one day my liver said stop, So I took the "R" off to live

today most drink lime juice and water, looks like a mixed drink, Bud 0.0 or Heineken 0.0   

• Like 2