Jump to content

Cancel Culture, I feel bad for young kids these days.


Recommended Posts

I feel bad for young kids these days, they may never know what free expression means.

OR

Has the Human Race become a bunch of Pussies?

 

Do white celebrities not get that Blackfishing is offensive? Or just not care?

When singer Jesy Nelson, originally a member of popular British girl group Little Mix, released her debut solo single “Boyz” last week, she did it with help from American star Nicki Minaj, who provides a guest rap verse for the song. Now Minaj is also aiding her defense against accusations that the music video shows Nelson engaging in Blackfishing.

Blackfishing — when non-Black individuals alter their appearance to try to appear more Black for profit, with that profit often coming from regurgitating stereotypes about Black people.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is the first time - ever - I have heard the term 'blackfishing'.  And yet, Eminem said it best years and years ago.  Though I'm not the first king of controversy I am the worst thing since

Ozzy and Judas Priest proved that speed metal could both sound good and be profitable .  People like Rhodes catalyzed the genre.  He was a fantastic musician and performer.

My experience is that there is really not much of a "leftist" media in the USA. What there is of it, is not very far left by anybody's standards outside Kentucky, and does not have a very large audien

Posted Images

33 minutes ago, Meat Wad said:

I feel bad for young kids these days, they may never know what free expression means.

OR

Has the Human Race become a bunch of Pussies?

 

Do white celebrities not get that Blackfishing is offensive? Or just not care?

When singer Jesy Nelson, originally a member of popular British girl group Little Mix, released her debut solo single “Boyz” last week, she did it with help from American star Nicki Minaj, who provides a guest rap verse for the song. Now Minaj is also aiding her defense against accusations that the music video shows Nelson engaging in Blackfishing.

Blackfishing — when non-Black individuals alter their appearance to try to appear more Black for profit, with that profit often coming from regurgitating stereotypes about Black people.

 

 

This is the first time - ever - I have heard the term 'blackfishing'.  And yet, Eminem said it best years and years ago. 

Though I'm not the first king of controversy
I am the worst thing since Elvis Presley
To do black music so selfishly
And use it to get myself wealthy (hey)

Blackfishing is only a thing if we let ourselves worry about it.  And it isn't.  Fuck it.  Unless we want to scream about black people who alter their appearance to make themselves look more light - wearing lighter makeup to appear lighter complected, straightening their hair, etc.

Outrage about nothing.  The average "left" person has probably never heard of the term.  It's just the newest 'critical race theory' bullshit someone on the right is using to stir you up.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

This is the first time - ever - I have heard the term 'blackfishing'.  And yet, Eminem said it best years and years ago. 

Though I'm not the first king of controversy
I am the worst thing since Elvis Presley
To do black music so selfishly
And use it to get myself wealthy (hey)

Blackfishing is only a thing if we let ourselves worry about it.  And it isn't.  Fuck it.  Unless we want to scream about black people who alter their appearance to make themselves look more light - wearing lighter makeup to appear lighter complected, straightening their hair, etc.

Outrage about nothing.  The average "left" person has probably never heard of the term.  It's just the newest 'critical race theory' bullshit someone on the right is using to stir you up.

So all those bitching about the singers behaviour are nasty right wing conservatives? :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites

There has always been a whole lot of stuff in the “polite people don’t discuss it” hiding hole. 
 

Your objections merely demonstrate a shift in that which resides in the hole. 
 

it wasn’t that long ago when we couldn’t mention anything about homosexuals. We couldn’t question the decisions of the POTUS or the Supreme Court.

All teachers were always good. Grownups didn’t have first names unless you were a grownup. 
 Rob and Laura Petrie slept in separate beds. 
 

Now we call it cancel culture when society decides not to publicly discuss some things. 
 

but not all things are allowed that Iabel.

those who do not wish to consider the ongoing subtle racism that isn’t even deliberate are trying to cancel Critical Race theory and there are now editions of Huckleberry Finn cleansed of the word nigger because fools believe cancelling the word will eliminate the racism of 150 years ago. 
 

We need to go back to running around naked 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Grrr... said:

Outrage about nothing.  The average "left" person has probably never heard of the term.  It's just the newest 'critical race theory' bullshit someone on the right is using to stir you up.

BS.  All the stuff I just read on it is being pushed by people traditionally on the left.  Most of the controversy and bitching is coming from blacks themselves who see white folk stealing their skin tone without having to go through the pain they claim they had to go through.  One perfect quote said something to effect of "blackfishers want our rhythm but not our blues."

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Burning Man said:

BS.  All the stuff I just read on it is being pushed by people traditionally on the left.

You mean like cancel culture of school boards crushing the teaching of racial oppression, or Georgia abolishing Uni tenure, or fundy education crushing freedom of expression ?? 

Oh wait, that is all being done by the R-word-istas 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Burning Man said:

BS.  All the stuff I just read on it is being pushed by people traditionally on the left.  Most of the controversy and bitching is coming from blacks themselves who see white folk stealing their skin tone without having to go through the pain they claim they had to go through.  One perfect quote said something to effect of "blackfishers want our rhythm but not our blues."

I feel like you didn't read what you think you read.

First - I said 'the average person on the left'.  The people pushing this stuff are a small group of people on the left, and they are likely farther left than the average person.  Think Q-Anon versus your run of the mill person who calls themselves conservative.

Seconds - I said the people getting upset about it are the same Republicans who agitated about critical race theory.  I.e. - people like Tucker, or other media personalities who are doing it specifically to stir up the right wing 'base'.

This is the MODEL of how these idiots stir shit up to outrage folks.  And it's no different than the way the far left Media personalities do the same with the ideas that the people on the far right like Q-Anon have.

But, people gotta outrage rather than just ignoring the bullshit, so gullible people post it here "XXXX WANTS TO OUTLAW DREADLOCKS."  "YYYY WANTS TO OUTLAW FLYING OF THE FLAG." and just keep feeding the media idiots that make money off it all.

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Grrr... said:
12 hours ago, Burning Man said:

BS.  All the stuff I just read on it is being pushed by people traditionally on the left....

I feel like you didn't read what you think you read.

First - I said 'the average person on the left'.  The people pushing this stuff are a small group of people on the left, and they are likely farther left than the average person.  Think Q-Anon versus your run of the mill person who calls themselves conservative.

Seconds - I said the people getting upset about it are the same Republicans who agitated about critical race theory.  I.e. - people like Tucker, or other media personalities who are doing it specifically to stir up the right wing 'base'.

This is the MODEL of how these idiots stir shit up to outrage folks.  And it's no different than the way the far left Media personalities do the same with the ideas that the people on the far right like Q-Anon have.

But, people gotta outrage rather than just ignoring the bullshit, so gullible people post it here "XXXX WANTS TO OUTLAW DREADLOCKS."  "YYYY WANTS TO OUTLAW FLYING OF THE FLAG." and just keep feeding the media idiots that make money off it all.

So, I'm interested in knowing who these far-left media figures are. What network are they on? Who are their sponsors/advertisers?

- DSK

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

So, I'm interested in knowing who these far-left media figures are. What network are they on? Who are their sponsors/advertisers?

- DSK

All the non-Fox media.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, learningJ24 said:

Don't forget the banning of "Merry Christmas"

Every Christmas I get all kinds of crap from my rightnutterati extended family about how sorry they feel for me that I can't say Merry Christmas at work or put up decorations and so on. The looks I get when I say we have Christmas decorations and a Christmas party are classic :lol: They think I am 100% bullshitting them :rolleyes:

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

So, I'm interested in knowing who these far-left media figures are. What network are they on? Who are their sponsors/advertisers?

- DSK

Take a look at the talking heads on Slate, Alternet, The Intercept.  They're the flip side of Newsmax, OAN, and the Federalist.  They are the 'testing' bed for the far far left stories to see if they gain any traction.  If they do, then the more middle-left pick them up.  Just like Newsmax / OAN / Federalist feed into Fox and their talking heads.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

Take a look at the talking heads on Slate, Alternet, The Intercept.  They're the flip side of Newsmax, OAN, and the Federalist.  They are the 'testing' bed for the far far left stories to see if they gain any traction.  If they do, then the more middle-left pick them up.  Just like Newsmax / OAN / Federalist feed into Fox and their talking heads.

Has Jules been schooling you again with that Both Sides-ism crapola ?? 

The R-word-ista media lie systematically - like the War on Christmas. 

The more centrist media do not do that much at all. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

Has Jules been schooling you again with that Both Sides-ism crapola ?? 

The R-word-ista media lie systematically - like the War on Christmas. 

The more centrist media do not do that much at all. 

If you truly believe that both sides of the extremists don't lie, then I don't know how you made it to be a professor of political science. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

If you truly believe that both sides of the extremists don't lie, then I don't know how you made it to be a professor of political science. 

My experience is that there is really not much of a "leftist" media in the USA. What there is of it, is not very far left by anybody's standards outside Kentucky, and does not have a very large audience.

Dishonest? I dunno. I've had this conversation before with a few of the resident RWNJs and they all think CNN is far-left whacko propaganda, total fiction. The fact that "lame stream" media can, will, and does, fire reporters for knowlingly telling falsehoods while the far-right media never do, tells the story. I don't know if Huffpo, Alternet, and some of the others you named have any journalist standards or not.

"They all lie" is generally an excuse for knowingly following liars. Just a word to the wise, here.

- DSK

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

My experience is that there is really not much of a "leftist" media in the USA. What there is of it, is not very far left by anybody's standards outside Kentucky, and does not have a very large audience.

Dishonest? I dunno. I've had this conversation before with a few of the resident RWNJs and they all think CNN is far-left whacko propaganda, total fiction. The fact that "lame stream" media can, will, and does, fire reporters for knowlingly telling falsehoods while the far-right media never do, tells the story. I don't know if Huffpo, Alternet, and some of the others you named have any journalist standards or not.

"They all lie" is generally an excuse for knowingly following liars. Just a word to the wise, here.

- DSK

I've watched far more news TV since going back to the gym and noticed that there's not a lot of distance between CNN and Fox with one exception, Fox presenters are almost uniformly and constantly angry looking.  It's the same thing I noticed on a trip to Ireland some time ago, there's almost a carrier wave of rage in so much of US broadcasting that, until away from it awhile, doesn't get noticed. It's why I almost never listen to news (with the exception of NPR) but only read it, to strip out the emotional delivery.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/17/2021 at 1:14 PM, Gissie said:

So all those bitching about the singers behaviour are nasty right wing conservatives? :lol:

Yes. Rock and Roll had a hard time getting going because the Right Minded could see that Elvis (and rock music in general) is black music just being played by white people. Canaries in a coal mine, so to speak.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

My experience is that there is really not much of a "leftist" media in the USA.

There's not much of any sort of "leftist" in the States period, only degrees of right wing.

What qualifies as radical left there is middle of the road in the rest of the world.

How fucking warped would a person have to be to call someone like Bernie a "radical leftist"?

I doubt he would even be welcome in our leftist NDP party.

The Democratic party would be right of center here and in most developed nations.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've felt badly for "the youth" ever since Al Gore invented the internet, and outlawed bicycles, snow ball fights, and mud puddles.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, The_Real_XYZ said:

No, but all right wing conservatives are nasty.

Exclaimed the closed mind, reveling in the surety of its blinkered thoughts.

Little realising how much it resembles those it derides and feeds the divisions it claims to dislike.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

You mean like cancel culture of school boards crushing the teaching of racial oppression, or Georgia abolishing Uni tenure, or fundy education crushing freedom of expression ?? 

Oh wait, that is all being done by the R-word-istas 

That was an excellent whataboutism.  But with zero relevance to the topic under discussion. 

Well done.....

Said no one, ever.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Grrr... said:

If you truly believe that both sides of the extremists don't lie, then I don't know how you made it to be a professor of political science. 

I'm still not 100% he ever did....

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

I'm still not 100% he ever did....

Well.... No, being carbon based, and decomposing at an increased rate, due to chemical, or organic accelerators, you wouldn't.

100% is an almost unachievable percentage in real life..... Unless your girl friend wants to get pregnant, and you don't want her to...

 Then it's pretty much 100% likely that the condom will fail.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

Well.... No, being carbon based, and decomposing at an increased rate, due to chemical, or organic accelerators, you wouldn't.

100% is an almost unachievable percentage in real life..... Unless your girl friend wants to get pregnant, and you don't want her to...

 Then it's pretty much 100% likely that the condom will fail.

Yeah, but withdrawal is always a good alternative, right?   

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Burning Man said:

BS.  All the stuff I just read on it is being pushed by people traditionally on the left.  Most of the controversy and bitching is coming from blacks themselves who see white folk stealing their skin tone without having to go through the pain they claim they had to go through.  One perfect quote said something to effect of "blackfishers want our rhythm but not our blues."

LO fuckin' L. 

What do you think all the Coppertone ads were about in the 1960s?  My German/English lifeguard girlfriend got turned away from restaurants in Florida and South Carolina because she was too tan.  

Blackfishers my ass.  The RWNJ outrage machine pays extra for people to come up with this shit.  "Elder abuse" of Joe Biden.  "Brandon"  "Critical Race Theory", "The Holocaust"*.  

 

* Just seeing if you were awake.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gissie said:

Exclaimed the closed mind, reveling in the surety of its blinkered thoughts.

Little realising how much it resembles those it derides and feeds the divisions it claims to dislike.

Think about what you're saying Gissie - right wing conservatives? That's as right wing as one can get.

Can you think of another name for them?

Fascist?

Nazi?

John Bircher?

Are you saying they aren't all nasty?

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Think about what you're saying Gissie - right wing conservatives? That's as right wing as one can get.

Can you think of another name for them?

Fascist?

Nazi?

John Bircher?

Are you saying they aren't all nasty?

I'm sure there are good people on both sides.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Think about what you're saying Gissie - right wing conservatives? That's as right wing as one can get.

Can you think of another name for them?

Fascist?

Nazi?

John Bircher?

Are you saying they aren't all nasty?

I know a few right wing "conservatives" who would really like to be "Conservatives".... But when push comes to shove, they have too much compassion.

 They can speak about abusing the people they oppose, but when you talk to them in person, one on one, it's all a ploy to get an appointment, or win an election.

 True they will, if elected, or appointed do the bidding of their masters, but there will always be a loop hole for the few liberal friends.

 So it's nothing really, until you get to the upper tier, where your friends are already taken care of, and the only thing left to do is make shit piles of money.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gissie said:

Exclaimed the closed mind, reveling in the surety of its blinkered thoughts.

Little realising how much it resembles those it derides and feeds the divisions it claims to dislike.

I am pretty fucking far past caring about the feelings ("divisions") of these anti-vaxxer, stop the steal, nazi motherfuckers.  They need to have their right to vote removed or they are going to murder us all.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The_Real_XYZ said:

I am pretty fucking far past caring about the feelings ("divisions") of these anti-vaxxer, stop the steal, nazi motherfuckers.  They need to have their right to vote removed or they are going to murder us all.

Anyone that can make the statement that all conservatives are nasty is just a blind little idiot.

Now you bitch about them and want to destroy your own democracy by removing the vote from those you disagree with.

You have met your enemy, you see him every morning when you shave. Assuming you are old enough, your limited thoughts would certainly indicate an undeveloped mind.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

Think about what you're saying Gissie - right wing conservatives? That's as right wing as one can get.

Can you think of another name for them?

Fascist?

Nazi?

John Bircher?

Are you saying they aren't all nasty?

Sometimes you show you can actually process individual thoughts, this is not one of them.

All conservatives are nasty.

All democrats want to give away all our money.

All whites are cunts.

Whatever,like the 100% stuff above, no group is all one thing. Well apart from you and pretent XYZ, out of a group of two it is 100% idiots at times. One much more than the other.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, learningJ24 said:

I've watched far more news TV since going back to the gym and noticed that there's not a lot of distance between CNN and Fox with one exception, Fox presenters are almost uniformly and constantly angry looking.  It's the same thing I noticed on a trip to Ireland some time ago, there's almost a carrier wave of rage in so much of US broadcasting that, until away from it awhile, doesn't get noticed. It's why I almost never listen to news (with the exception of NPR) but only read it, to strip out the emotional delivery.

Before covid, I watched/listened to different TV news channels during workouts and there was a WIDE gap between Fox, and CNN, ABC, NBC, CBS, and then a smaller gap to MSNBC. The gym did not have OAN on big-screen. CBS seems the least angry IMHO but yeah, they are all high-pressure delivery.

Even on the PBS news shows that have a panel of some righties and some "lefties," the righties are fuckin' pissed. Can't speak a sentence without spitting and hissing. Sometimes the other side gets irked, like Donna Brazille gets fed up fairly often (gets mad at Democrats too). David Brooks, whom the RWNJs don't consider a conservative any more, is the only one who isn't angry.

- DSK

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Gissie said:

Anyone that can make the statement that all conservatives are nasty is just a blind little idiot.

No, I am the one who can see.   Why, I am not a nazi, I just vote for them and give them money and moral support!

We have the last republican president wandering around and telling his supporters that liberals are about to destroy this nation, and his followers are mumbling about civil war now.  We all saw Jan 6th, he is trying to create a large version of that.

So you can stuff your 'allduhsame' up your ass.  If conservatives are still supporting this guy then they are indeed, very nasty people.  Well, they might just be so fucking stupid they can't even see what is happening I suppose.  Which are you?

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, The_Real_XYZ said:

It doesn't matter what you are, it matters what you do.  And the conservative assholes are all pushing for the same thing.

There you go with that 'all' claim. Surprising you can pull it out so often considering all the dick you get shoved in there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Gissie said:

There you go with that 'all' claim. Surprising you can pull it out so often considering all the dick you get shoved in there.

Oh whatever, trump has like 80%+ republican support, if he runs the rest will probably vote for him anyways after another few years of FOX squawking about socialism.

Like I said, assholes or morons, that's the republican party today.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/17/2021 at 1:24 PM, Meat Wad said:

I feel bad for young kids these days, they may never know what free expression means.

OR

Has the Human Race become a bunch of Pussies?

 

Do white celebrities not get that Blackfishing is offensive? Or just not care?

When singer Jesy Nelson, originally a member of popular British girl group Little Mix, released her debut solo single “Boyz” last week, she did it with help from American star Nicki Minaj, who provides a guest rap verse for the song. Now Minaj is also aiding her defense against accusations that the music video shows Nelson engaging in Blackfishing.

Blackfishing — when non-Black individuals alter their appearance to try to appear more Black for profit, with that profit often coming from regurgitating stereotypes about Black people.

 

 

Isn't cancel culture as you call it free expression? I guess you just label free expression you don't like "cancel culture" and move on. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Grrr... said:

If you truly believe that both sides of the extremists don't lie

What does that even mean ?? 

Just today the FAUXistas lied their asses off about the passing of C. Powell. MSNBC etc. told the truth. 

And the FAUX lies were flat-out evil - aimed at creating Covid fear and anti-scienceism 

 Don't give me that both sidesista crapola 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Burning Man said:

That was an excellent whataboutism.  But with zero relevance to the topic under discussion.

OK, so what your R-word overlords are doing here is defining "cancelism" as what only the left does . . . 

which means that all the speech & expression that THEY cancel is not "under discussion". 

Nope - not gonna go along with that . .  

Which side is all hysterical about what is taught in high school and stomping on any teacher who dares teach actual US history ?? 

It sure as hell ain't us lefties. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gissie said:

Sometimes you show you can actually process individual thoughts, this is not one of them.

All conservatives are nasty.

All democrats want to give away all our money.

All whites are cunts.

Whatever,like the 100% stuff above, no group is all one thing. Well apart from you and pretent XYZ, out of a group of two it is 100% idiots at times. One much more than the other.

Are you reading impaired?

right wing conservatives have somehow become

All conservatives are nasty.

All democrats want to give away all our money.

All whites are cunts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SloopJonB said:

Are you reading impaired?

right wing conservatives have somehow become

All conservatives are nasty.

All democrats want to give away all our money.

All whites are cunts.

So what is the difference between a conservative and a right wing conservative? My understanding is that the definition of a conservative is they are right wing.

Has this changed now so a conservative is middle of the road. Then there is the right wing conservative, who I guess is not so middle. Then the extreme right wing conservative, who must be far out on the right somewhere.

But if the average conservative is now middle of the road, does that mean democrats are now considered left wing democrats? Is that even an insult to them? It must be because you consider calling someone a right wing conservative an insult.

The reality is there are many shades of grey, all of which have a defender. To claim all of one group are of one type, as XYZ claims, is naive at best. It is also what drives division deeper, but maybe that is the point.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/18/2021 at 1:30 AM, Grrr... said:

This is the first time - ever - I have heard the term 'blackfishing'.  And yet, Eminem said it best years and years ago. 

Though I'm not the first king of controversy
I am the worst thing since Elvis Presley
To do black music so selfishly
And use it to get myself wealthy (hey)
.

There's a concept that works
Twenty million other white rappers emerge
But no matter how many fish in the sea
It'll be so empty, without me

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Mark K said:

Yes. Rock and Roll had a hard time getting going because the Right Minded could see that Elvis (and rock music in general) is black music just being played by white people. Canaries in a coal mine, so to speak.  

Mick Jagger was very blunt about that in an interview on the Stern show recently.

He basically considers it his job to put on a good show, and as part of that job, he studied the on stage moves of the black American greats.

Really, I can see why he doesn't do interviews often. He came off as quiet, officious, studious, and businesslike, and only occasionally loose and funny. In other words, nothing like the guy who sings Sympathy for the Devil.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

My experience is that there is really not much of a "leftist" media in the USA. What there is of it, is not very far left by anybody's standards outside Kentucky, and does not have a very large audience.

Dishonest? I dunno. I've had this conversation before with a few of the resident RWNJs and they all think CNN is far-left whacko propaganda, total fiction. The fact that "lame stream" media can, will, and does, fire reporters for knowlingly telling falsehoods while the far-right media never do, tells the story. I don't know if Huffpo, Alternet, and some of the others you named have any journalist standards or not.

"They all lie" is generally an excuse for knowingly following liars. Just a word to the wise, here.

- DSK

The left made a dire mistake when they let Air America go off the air and let the rush types take over the airwaves.  Donno the politics of the downfall, but I assume some muckity muck billionaire decided that the left did not need time on the radio waves sometime in eary 2k.    

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, shaggy said:

The left made a dire mistake when they let Air America go off the air and let the rush types take over the airwaves.  Donno the politics of the downfall, but I assume some muckity muck billionaire decided that the left did not need time on the radio waves sometime in eary 2k.    

I didn't think about it at the time, but it would be interesting to see if they genuinely lacked enough sponsorship... ie could not book commercials... or if there were some big-money manipulations going on to make sure Air America died.

But if there was a big audience demand, you'd see urges in that direction. There's some, but not much. A hell of a lot of USAnians... possibly a solid majority... want to be entertained by snarky lies and racist bullshit and a fat guy mocking the disabled. Makes me sad.

- DSK

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

I didn't think about it at the time, but it would be interesting to see if they genuinely lacked enough sponsorship... ie could not book commercials... or if there were some big-money manipulations going on to make sure Air America died.

But if there was a big audience demand, you'd see urges in that direction. There's some, but not much. A hell of a lot of USAnians... possibly a solid majority... want to be entertained by snarky lies and racist bullshit and a fat guy mocking the disabled. Makes me sad.

- DSK

IMHO, the educated middle class(the big driver of air America) keep the purse strings tight when they look at media as news and not entertainment.  RWNJ freely dole out the dinero to whatever talking head is spewing dems bad.....  This lead to foxy going full bore nut job as there was no liberal backstop to counter their drivel (Ed Stein was the last I think).  So we get what we have now and unfortunately, I don't see another entity big enough coming down the pike to topple the right wing conspiracy channel and bring the country back to center...  ...  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, shaggy said:

IMHO, the educated middle class(the big driver of air America) keep the purse strings tight when they look at media as news and not entertainment.  RWNJ freely dole out the dinero to whatever talking head is spewing dems bad.....  This lead to foxy going full bore nut job as there was no liberal backstop to counter their drivel (Ed Stein was the last I think).  So we get what we have now and unfortunately, I don't see another entity big enough coming down the pike to topple the right wing conspiracy channel and bring the country back to center...  ...  

OH my. It was all a right wing conspiracy to shut down Air America.   Air America failed because it did not have enough listeners to attract advertisers.   Pretty simple.  That’s  how ALL Media works.  Outside publicly funded like NPR and PBS

If you thought Air America  was a balanced news station seek help   It was 24 hours of bash Bush every minute of every day of every week   

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, The Joker said:

OH my. It was all a right wing conspiracy to shut down Air America.   Air America failed because it did not have enough listeners to attract advertisers.   Pretty simple.  That’s  how ALL Media works.  Outside publicly funded like NPR and PBS

If you thought Air America  was a balanced news station seek help   It was 24 hours of bash Bush every minute of every day of every week   

 

Never said it was a conspiracy dumb ass.  Said that they went away cause no left wing nutter would fund em...  READ before bloviating please...

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, shaggy said:

Never said it was a conspiracy dumb ass.  Said that they went away cause no left wing nutter would fund em...  READ before bloviating please...

You clearly do not have a clue on what drives successful media.  Funding comes from advertisers not the listeners.   Advertisers could care less about content (crossing some PC line by a host would be the exception). they care about numbers and ratings.

AIR AMERICA failed because no one was listening. 

 Was your point (by a DIRE mistake) that the left should tune in regardless of content or interest just to keep anti right ranting hosts on the air? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, The Joker said:

You clearly do not have a clue on what drives successful media.  Funding comes from advertisers not the listeners.   Advertisers could care less about content (crossing some PC line by a host would be the exception). they care about numbers and ratings.

AIR AMERICA failed because no one was listening. 

 Was your point (by a DIRE mistake) that the left should tune in regardless of content or interest just to keep anti right ranting hosts on the air? 

The left were busy doing other things than listening to bloviating idiots on the radio...  

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, shaggy said:

The left made a dire mistake when they let Air America go off the air and let the rush types take over the airwaves.

This , , , toxic and incessant hate and R-word-ista lies on the radio are transforming American politics  . . 

It has led to a dire, and perhaps existential, threat to the republic. 

The political cultures of both Ohio and Iowa have been shifted to the right, and not at all in a good way. 

Other states ?? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, The Joker said:

OH my. It was all a right wing conspiracy to shut down Air America.   Air America failed because it did not have enough listeners to attract advertisers.   Pretty simple.  That’s  how ALL Media works.  Outside publicly funded like NPR and PBS

If you thought Air America  was a balanced news station seek help   It was 24 hours of bash Bush every minute of every day of every week   

 

Bullshit. I present OAN being almost totally supported by AT&T as an obvious counter-argument. RWNJ media seems to be primarily funded by RWNJ billionaires.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Bullshit. I present OAN being almost totally supported by AT&T as an obvious counter-argument. RWNJ media seems to be primarily funded by RWNJ billionaires.

Well, I'm quite sure that the gold coin sellers and home reverse-mortgage companies that advertise on FOX bring in a hefty legit profit.

- DSK

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, shaggy said:

I don't see another entity big enough coming down the pike to topple the right wing conspiracy channel and bring the country back to center...  ...  

Communications are about to talk another big step forward so who knows what can happen.  It will probably make things worse.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Gissie said:

So what is the difference between a conservative and a right wing conservative? My understanding is that the definition of a conservative is they are right wing.

Has this changed now so a conservative is middle of the road. Then there is the right wing conservative, who I guess is not so middle. Then the extreme right wing conservative, who must be far out on the right somewhere.

But if the average conservative is now middle of the road, does that mean democrats are now considered left wing democrats? Is that even an insult to them? It must be because you consider calling someone a right wing conservative an insult.

The reality is there are many shades of grey, all of which have a defender. To claim all of one group are of one type, as XYZ claims, is naive at best. It is also what drives division deeper, but maybe that is the point.

You're right, I agree.

Link to post
Share on other sites

"Conservatives" tend to bunch up.  They're... conservative.  Go figure.

Below is that old graphic of media bias.  I threw in the big back line to split it down the middle.  It looks kinda symmetrical - except take out FOX and all it's properties.  Then sort of do a quick mental math - you've got maybe? 10% as many people on the on the right as the left?

As an advertiser (which, as pointed out, is where all this money is coming from), you can target one big demographic by paying FOX.  That's appealing logistically.  If you want to hit the same number of viewers with 'liberal content', you have to go to more places.

There is truth behind the argument about 'all those outlets on the left'.  There are a lot.  But they each have a smaller piece of the pie, are generally focused on  niche interests, and sometimes go after each other to try and get market share.  FOX is all FOX - you can take the more middle of the road stuff or you can go down the slope all the way to Hannity.   But it's all FOX.  The corollary is also true.  Lumping the Hannity viewers with the Fox Business viewers is rhetorically easy - it's all FOX.

 

 

 

image.thumb.png.be9bbb01ece10e81b935735243c439a1.png

 

 

image.thumb.png.fc1a5fe5a1914a0dc27a8a4affdfa7e6.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Bullshit. I present OAN being almost totally supported by AT&T as an obvious counter-argument. RWNJ media seems to be primarily funded by RWNJ billionaires.

Right wing billionaires are not nut jobs, they are greed heads, they are rational and calculating, and they always need a Little Bit More.   They neither need nor want government or the strong middle class that our manufacturing base grew. Yesterday’s steel worker is now asking young Master Farnsworth VII is he would like a side order of fries with his Happy Meal. Turning Americans against their countryman facilitates the transition from manufacturing to service economy. The AT&T OAN bullshit machine is a perfect example of their divide and conquer strategy.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BeSafe said:

"Conservatives" tend to bunch up.  They're... conservative.  Go figure.

Below is that old graphic of media bias.  I threw in the big back line to split it down the middle.  It looks kinda symmetrical - except take out FOX and all it's properties.  Then sort of do a quick mental math - you've got maybe? 10% as many people on the on the right as the left?

As an advertiser (which, as pointed out, is where all this money is coming from), you can target one big demographic by paying FOX.  That's appealing logistically.  If you want to hit the same number of viewers with 'liberal content', you have to go to more places.

There is truth behind the argument about 'all those outlets on the left'.  There are a lot.  But they each have a smaller piece of the pie, are generally focused on  niche interests, and sometimes go after each other to try and get market share.  FOX is all FOX - you can take the more middle of the road stuff or you can go down the slope all the way to Hannity.   But it's all FOX.  The corollary is also true.  Lumping the Hannity viewers with the Fox Business viewers is rhetorically easy - it's all FOX.

 

 

 

image.thumb.png.be9bbb01ece10e81b935735243c439a1.png

 

Well, I disagree with that chart, in many cases. It's heavily right-focused. InfoWars is spooky mythic/fascist bullshittery, NewsMax is Trumpublican bullshittery; the Wall Street Journal is pretty far right journalism. "The Week" is totally unbiased, they republish cited news and editorials from both sides as well as running their own investigative journalist branch.

NYT? The bunch that agreed to not publish the news about Bush/Cheney's illegal wiretapping ops, is mid-left?

I'm sorry, but that's fucked.

- DSK

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Well, I disagree with that chart, in many cases. It's heavily right-focused. InfoWars is spooky mythic/fascist bullshittery, NewsMax is Trumpublican bullshittery; the Wall Street Journal is pretty far right journalism. "The Week" is totally unbiased, they republish cited news and editorials from both sides as well as running their own investigative journalist branch.

NYT? The bunch that agreed to not publish the news about Bush/Cheney's illegal wiretapping ops, is mid-left?

I'm sorry, but that's fucked.

- DSK

Judith Miller pimping the Iraq War shows just how leftist the NYT really is. 

We'd all be better off if we could all limit our news intake to sources in that top section, and make up our own opinions based on actual facts instead of someone else's bullshit.... Unfortunately we have had decades of the media bullshit machine blurring the line between fact and opinion, and have generations that cannot tell the difference anymore. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/20/2021 at 1:23 AM, Steam Flyer said:

I didn't think about it at the time, but it would be interesting to see if they genuinely lacked enough sponsorship... ie could not book commercials... or if there were some big-money manipulations going on to make sure Air America died.

But if there was a big audience demand, you'd see urges in that direction. There's some, but not much. A hell of a lot of USAnians... possibly a solid majority... want to be entertained by snarky lies and racist bullshit and a fat guy mocking the disabled. Makes me sad.

- DSK

I tried listening to Air America, had it on in the car quite often for a while.

It was boring as fuck.

There wasn't much by way of investigative reporting or even muck raking, it was mostly talking heads yammering about crap we already knew. There wasn't the hate stoking you get on the right (yes, I've listened to it).

I don't think the left stokes up outrage as much, especially if you're not actually lying your ass off about it like right wing radio does and trying to pitch hate and anger all the time.

At the end of the day, there were occasional chuckles, but not enough, and not enough humor or things of breaking interest worth listening too.

Preaching to the choir is fairly pointless and dull.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, B.J. Porter said:

At the end of the day, there were occasional chuckles,

I like a lot of the progressive radio hosts - Stephanie Miller, Randi Rhoads, Thom Hartman, Ed Schultz, Bill Press 

We no longer get ANY of them here in the heartland 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

I like a lot of the progressive radio hosts - Stephanie Miller, Randi Rhoads, Thom Hartman, Ed Schultz, Bill Press 

We no longer get ANY of them here in the heartland 

I loved Randy Rhoads. One of my favorite guitar players, who we lost too soon.

I was fortunate to see him play shortly before he died.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/18/2021 at 7:08 PM, The_Real_XYZ said:

I am pretty fucking far past caring about the feelings ("divisions") of these anti-vaxxer, stop the steal, nazi motherfuckers.  They need to have their right to vote removed or they are going to murder us all.

And you all laughed at me when I posted numerous times in the recent past that the right to vote was more dangerous than the 2nd Amendment right to own gunz.  

The unfettered right to vote with no restrictions, regulations, background checks, or licensing just cost us over 700K Americans dead in about 18 months.  Gunz can't hold a candle to the danger of letting any old moron fucking vote.  

Just saying......

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/19/2021 at 3:12 AM, Excoded Tom said:

Really, I can see why he doesn't do interviews often. He came off as quiet, officious, studious, and businesslike, and only occasionally loose and funny. In other words, nothing like the guy who sings Sympathy for the Devil.

That is still my favorite Stones song.  Interestingly, Pandora just played Brown Sugar for me.  So I guess it's not all that un-PC yet.  

Link to post
Share on other sites