San Francisco closes In-N-Out restaurant that refuses to become vaccine police

This portends to become a much talked about case in California and elsewhere.

In-N-Out Burger’s Chief Legal and Business Officer, Arnie Wensinger, is set to release a statement after the San Francisco Department of Health closed one of the Top California Burger Restaurant’s locations. 

“Today, the San Francisco Department of Health closed our restaurant…” he wrote. According to Wensingers statement, In-N-Out Burger employees were allegedly “not preventing the entry of customers who were not carrying proper vaccination documentation.”

Beyond the famous California institution’s location “properly and clearly” posting signage to communicate local vaccination requirements, the SFDH has attempted to require In-N-Out Burger employees to act as health police and enforcement personnel for the city.

He explains, “After closing our restaurant, local regulators informed us that our restaurant Associates must actively intervene by demanding proof of vaccination and photo identification from every customer…barring entry for any Customers without proper documentation.”   

Wensigner opened up further in the statement saying they are committed to the highest level of customer service & making all feel welcome. 

“We refuse to become the vaccination police for any government. It is unreasonable, invasive, and unsafe to force our restaurant associates to segregate customers,” wrote Wensigner. 

In late August, San Francisco became one of the first major U.S. cities to require proof of full COVID-19 vaccination to enter indoor restaurants, bars, gyms, theaters, and other entertainment venues. 

New York City’s policy went into effect on August 17, and the city began to enforce the requirements as of September 13. Inspectors for New York City have reportedly given numerous violations of $1,000 for failing to check vaccination cards.

Some fast-food chains shut their seating areas altogether, sacrificing sales and bottom lines to appease city health rules.

Federal and State Vaccine Mandates have fueled a great divide in the U.S., pitting businesses, unions, legislators, and neighbors against one another based on their firmly held beliefs on the issue.

https://thehighwire.com/news/san-francisco-closes-in-n-out-burger-after-defying-citys-vaccine-rule/

Messages-Image47656603.jpeg

Why would vaccine verification be any different than verifying age to purchase alcohol.  I am 75 and STILL get carded at the liquor store.  Don't do that and the employee and business are at risk of fines and jail time here in KY.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, badlatitude said:

He explains, “After closing our restaurant, local regulators informed us that our restaurant Associates must actively intervene by demanding proof of vaccination and photo identification from every customer…barring entry for any Customers without proper documentation.”   

This is the only part I have a problem with.  And I doubt we're getting the full story here.

I would like to think that they were told exactly, specifically what was required in order to stay open for business.

And given the chance to correct, BEFORE being shut down.

Time, and better reporting, will tell.

• Like 1

If they are too incompetent to follow simple rules of safety they most certainly Shouid be shut down. 
This irrational nonsense about the right to assist in the spread of a lethal virus needs to be treated with the disrespect and utter contempt it deserves. 

we need to set up prison camps for the unvaccinated and start throwing people in there to starve and die. Maybe we could re-open Auschwitz and use it in the anti-vax crowd. 

A couple of restaurant here in BC have been closed for the same reason - refusal to follow public health orders requiring all patrons to show their vaccine passport.  One wonders what other public health orders they weren't respecting.

I understand at least one of them is for sale now, going cheap.  Way to throw your business under the bus dude.

I had dinner tonight in a very small town in the Kootenays. Watched the host turn away 2 non vaxxed idiots. She was very good at defusing the situation, agreeing that was a silly rule, but still sending them on their way. 

• Like 1
Just now, Zonker said:

I had dinner tonight in a very small town in the Kootenays. Watched the host turn away 2 non vaxxed idiots. She was very good at defusing the situation, agreeing that was a silly rule, but still sending them on their way. 

Punting them in the nuts would be my go-to, but that's just me.

• Like 1

Given SF is spending $250m/year on Covid related expenses (hospital, mitigation, etc) I can see why they want to prevent as much as possible.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

Punting them in the nuts would be my go-to, but that's just me.

Yeah - fuck that defusing thing - tell them "we don't serve morons who are too stupid to live".

17 hours ago, Rain Man said:

A couple of restaurant here in BC have been closed for the same reason - refusal to follow public health orders requiring all patrons to show their vaccine passport.  One wonders what other public health orders they weren't respecting.

I understand at least one of them is for sale now, going cheap.  Way to throw your business under the bus dude.

You don't understand freedom, do you.

The owner is free to sell the business if they do not wish to obey a government dictat.  There is no reason for the price to be reduced.  The buyer would know in advance that they must require their employees to act as police and hire appropriately.

Choosing to do so is the owners choice.  The only people who lose are the custormers who have one less choice in dining establishment until the place opens under new management.

By the same token, a restaurant, cruise line, etc. should be full entitled to set the conditions of entry to their facilities and the state need not pass laws saying they cannot.  Potential customers should be notified with signs like "no vax, no mask, no service.

2 hours ago, Saorsa said:
19 hours ago, Rain Man said:

The owner is free to sell the business if they do not wish to obey a government dictat. ...

Oo-o-o vocabulary word "dictat." Picked that up from RWNJ spew-news, eh? Think it makes you sound smarter?

How about the "government dictat" about food handling procedures? Washing dishes? Employees washing hands after wiping their asses from taking a shit?

Ever see that meme "welcome to Freedom Restaurant?"

When covid is costing taxpayers billions of dollars, it's pretty goddam dumb to whine about trying to reduce that expense even if you're a self-centered dickhead.

- DSK

3 hours ago, Saorsa said:

By the same token, a restaurant, cruise line, etc. should be full entitled to set the conditions of entry to their facilities and the state need not pass laws saying they cannot.  Potential customers should be notified with signs like "no vax, no mask, no service.

Except in Florida. (And more states to come)

8 hours ago, Saorsa said:

Of course not.

Only right wing Americans understand it.