"Laura and I are deeply saddened by the death of Colin Powell," said George W. Bush. "He was a great public servant, starting with his time as a soldier during Vietnam."

"General Powell was an exemplary soldier and an exemplary patriot," said Barack Obama. "He was at the center of some of the most consequential events of our lifetimes."

"He lived the promise of America, and spent a lifetime working to help our country, especially our young people, live up to its own ideals and noblest aspirations at home and around the world," said Bill Clinton.

"Wonderful to see Colin Powell, who made big mistakes on Iraq and famously, so-called weapons of mass destruction, be treated in death so beautifully by the Fake News Media," Donald Trump said in a statement released Tuesday morning. "Hope that happens to me someday. He was a classic RINO, if even that, always being the first to attack other Republicans. He made plenty of mistakes, but anyway, may he rest in peace!"

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/19/politics/donald-trump-colin-powell-death/index.html

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, pusslicker said:

I miss Obama's subtlety. 

The word devious comes to mind.

Colin Powell just died from Covid-19. So we should expect a tsunami of eulogies from politicians, the mainstream media and even a few liberals who seem to enjoy sanitizing the murderous lives of the ruling class. Those of us on the left who refuse to play the games of polite society when it comes to war crimes will likely be chastised. And he will take his place among the “great generals” of the American Empire. All warmongering societies do this, so it should come as no surprise. But no amount of gushing tributes can erase the truth.

https://www.counterpunch.org/2021/10/19/legacy-of-shame-colin-powells-blood-soaked-service-to-the-empire/

19 minutes ago, Remodel said:

I think Powell would have made an excellent president.

Agree, he was a principled offering, who got sold bullshit by the hawks Rumsfeld and Cheney.

After that lie he didn’t contemplate running, a pity there are not more like him.

1 minute ago, Navig8tor said:

Agree, he was a principled offering, who got sold bullshit by the hawks Rumsfeld and Cheney.

Respectfully disagree. Powell lied at least twice: once when he gave preposterous evidence to the UN that was thoroughly debunked within hours; and then later when he blamed "bad intell" for being wrong. 

I do not buy that for a minute. 

The Bush, Neo-con, Powell case for war was preposterous from the beginning, and they all knew it. 

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

Respectfully disagree. Powell lied at least twice: once when he gave preposterous evidence to the UN that was thoroughly debunked within hours; and then later when he blamed "bad intell" for being wrong. 

The Bush, Neo-con, Powell case for war was preposterous from the beginning, and they all knew it. 

Gotta agree with the prof for once, Powell was either in on it or stupendously incompetent.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, benwynn said:

"Laura and I are deeply saddened by the death of Colin Powell," said George W. Bush. "He was a great public servant, starting with his time as a soldier during Vietnam."

"General Powell was an exemplary soldier and an exemplary patriot," said Barack Obama. "He was at the center of some of the most consequential events of our lifetimes."

"He lived the promise of America, and spent a lifetime working to help our country, especially our young people, live up to its own ideals and noblest aspirations at home and around the world," said Bill Clinton.

"Wonderful to see Colin Powell, who made big mistakes on Iraq and famously, so-called weapons of mass destruction, be treated in death so beautifully by the Fake News Media," Donald Trump said in a statement released Tuesday morning. "Hope that happens to me someday. He was a classic RINO, if even that, always being the first to attack other Republicans. He made plenty of mistakes, but anyway, may he rest in peace!"

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/19/politics/donald-trump-colin-powell-death/index.html

The bride at every wedding, the corpse at every funeral. 

4 hours ago, benwynn said:

The pride of the GOP.

Every single R and D politician should be asked if they stand behind the statement by our previous president regarding Powell.  And if they

think it's a fitting comment.  And if comments like this change their opinion of tfg.

This bullshit is so normalized that it's not shocking any more.  And there's no accountability.

Sad.

5 hours ago, pusslicker said:

I miss Obama's subtlety. 

I miss his humanity and that wicked jump shot and tan suit.

14 hours ago, The_Real_XYZ said:

Even if he was as bad as the others say, he still would have been a hundred times better than trump.

There is truth in this.

Of course, TFG is already pissing on Colin's grave.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2021/10/19/trumps-post-mortem-roasting-of-powell-could-burn-him-in-the-end-516280

Trump seems to intuitively understand that these cheap shots don’t cost him with his base, which applauds his corrosive moxie. Given his history of explosive comments, he has set a baseline expectation for rude conduct that he must exceed to keep his fans entertained and to keep his critics appalled enough to drive his “statements” into the news. Truth be told, he probably didn’t care much one way or the other about Colin Powell, but, seeing the general’s death forming a news wave, he decided to paddle out and ride it to shore in hopes of getting noticed. But the downside for Trump — if downsides exist in Trumpworld — is that as he descends ever lower to hack his way into the news, he will end up sending the equivalent of an audition tape to the social media outlets that have only suspended him (Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and Twitch), that they should never let him return.

That leaves Trump standing there, smoldering, lacking enough rhetorical fuel to reach political liftoff and waiting for his next countdown.

“But we already had two firsts. Colin Powell was one of them, and Condoleezza Rice, his successor as secretary of state. How did that redound to the benefit of black people for the United States to have a black — put a black face on imperialism, on aggressive war, on violations of international law? How does that make black people look better in the world? Is that the kind of burden that black people want to carry around?”   Glen Ford

https://blackagendareport.com/index.php/many-crimes-colin-powell

13 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

He was probably an Eisenhower Republican

- DSK

You mean a commie radical leftist?

• Like 1
On 10/19/2021 at 1:07 PM, AJ Oliver said:

I knew that if I hung around this joint long enough I’d find a post of yours that made sense.

lol

Colin Powell, 84, fully vaccinated and dead of Covid? :o 

Good riddance! 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/20/2021 at 6:33 PM, Sea warrior said:

I knew that if I hung around this joint long enough I’d find a post of yours that made sense.

lol

I think Powell was placed in a position where his sense of morality and sense of duty conflicted, there's generally no good choice there. Had he won against GW, our situation would be quite different, probably eliminating TFG from the political scene.  

Powell should have died in prison along with the other war criminals (Kissinger) that created millions of corpses of the innocent in their greedy pursuit of power. 

The plain FACT is that HE wrote and pushed the "Powell Doctrine",  a key point of which was that the use of force HAD to be the LAST alternative after all other options and that if force were to be used an End-Game HAD to be well thought out.

Clearly,  neither applied in the end.