32 minutes ago, upwindsys said:

Has anyone tried to Turbo a J-22...  Roller jib and a sprit asymmetrical?

J-boats did. They call it a J70.....

(ok, ok, I know, that's not true, damn, have a sense of humor)

• Like 3
5 hours ago, upwindsys said:

Has anyone tried to Turbo a J-22...  Roller jib and a sprit asymmetrical?

We have roller furling on a few of the J22s at Park City Sailing, more for ease of use than turbo-ing but if set up more like a Melges 24 it could be fun. A sprit would be...interesting.

Thanks for all the input.  I probably should have shared the driving factors.  I'm 75 and sail with a light weight crew.  I put slab reef into the main to depower.   We have fun until it is time to set the spinnaker.  Would like to eliminate the pole and make the fore deck tasks easier.

I read thru all the old strings...several of the links from Waterline do not resolve.  Does anyone have a newer link?

I actually looked at a J-80 but the depth of water at my lift will not support it operationally.  J-70s are beyond my budget.

I looked at a Beneteau 7.5 and asked for a provisional rating and it would never perform to what they proposed. 

Photo of SLICE is attached.  Sails well in light winds.

Slice.1.jpeg

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, upwindsys said:

Thanks for all the input.  I probably should have shared the driving factors.  I'm 75 and sail with a light weight crew.  I put slab reef into the main to depower.   We have fun until it is time to set the spinnaker.  Would like to eliminate the pole and make the fore deck tasks easier.

I read thru all the old strings...several of the links from Waterline do not resolve.  Does anyone have a newer link?

I actually looked at a J-80 but the depth of water at my lift will not support it operationally.  J-70s are beyond my budget.

I looked at a Beneteau 7.5 and asked for a provisional rating and it would never perform to what they proposed. 

Photo of SLICE is attached.  Sails well in light winds.

Slice.1.jpeg

It seems like good enough reasons to pursue what you're looking for. We have a fleet of eight Elliott 6meters in our program and we charter them for Thursday Night racing. They are set up with symmetricals and we've been tempted to switch them to assymetricals with a one meter bowsprit, making the setting and gybing of spinnakers a little easier for most people. I cringe at the idea of tight crossings though. 

If it were me, I'd buy the Harken furler with the hoistable swivel. Skip a headfoil as it's so heavy and cumbersome. https://www.harken.com/en/shop/small-boat-furling/standard-hoistable-furling-system-4-mm-luff-wire/ 

Regarding the sprit, I'd reach out to either Moore Brothers in Rhode Island or CCI in Canada(a Sailing Anarchy sponsor) and work with them for a bowsprit. You could have one fashioned in the same spirit as the Farr 30 bowsprit that is removable. I helped a friend fit his a couple of years ago and it's a nice kit. 

Moore Brothers: https://www.moorebro.co 

CCI: https://cci.one/site/marine/foils-a-z/?doing_wp_cron=1635262106.7111790180206298828125 

Who knows...you may be on to something. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

SJ061 -  I'm really interested.  Questions...what type of sprit did you buy and install.  I know it's the wrong time of the year to ask for photos, but if you took any when it was nicer outside, I'd really like to see them.  How much does it impact handling in reasonable conditions?  What did it do to your PHRF rating?  How much bigger is the chute compared to the standard one?  My e-mail is mike@upwindsystems.com

• Like 1

About 20 years ago or more, a guy at the Milwaukee Community Sailing Center turbo'd his J/22.  Put a bulb on the keel (bolt on from Mars I think) and added a sprit with an asymmetrical kite, and raced and cruised the boat single and short handed. I think the owner has passed.  You might reach out to Holly at MCSC (she's been there long enough to remember the boat), or ask her to put you in touch with Peter who would definitely know the boat.