I hate how much effort it takes to clean the boot stripe (and the unpainted strip below it).

What are the downsides of extending the bottom paint upwards to cover the boot stripe? 

If I decide to do this, I need to sand, primer and paint, yes?

How do I handle the transition between primer and the existing bottom paint? Can I apply primer over the existing bottom paint?

2 hours ago, Gabe_nyc said:

I hate how much effort it takes to clean the boot stripe (and the unpainted strip below it).

What are the downsides of extending the bottom paint upwards to cover the boot stripe? 

If I decide to do this, I need to sand, primer and paint, yes?

How do I handle the transition between primer and the existing bottom paint? Can I apply primer over the existing bottom paint?

Many boats sail without a boot stripe 

I don’t like the look of oxidized antifoul 

A boat can look great with antifoul extending up to the bootstripe, depending on the colour of the antifoul and the bootstripe, such as white topsiides, dark coloured bootstripe and white antifoul.

If your bootstripe is getting really cruddy, maybe it and the antifoul need to be raised a bit.

Yes, clean, sand, prime then antifoul. Priming is needed.

Also remember that a boot stripe or antifoul line in not flat ..it is sheared … it does not reflect the true waterline 

by sheared I mean the ends are swept upward 

the picture is a extreme example because it’s a fine double ended 

D12D40A6-94C9-481E-8C4A-29C24219F19D.jpeg

Thank you all for the pointers and help in how to properly locate a boot stripe.

Upon re-reading my original question, I find that I was not explicit enough about what I am looking to find out, namely: 

“Does a Boot Stripe serve any useful purpose or is it strictly cosmetic?”

1 hour ago, Gabe_nyc said:

Thank you all for the pointers and help in how to properly locate a boot stripe.

Upon re-reading my original question, I find that I was not explicit enough about what I am looking to find out, namely: 

Paint is hard , Uv resistant and easy to clean 

antifoul is soft and easily  erodes 

1 hour ago, Gabe_nyc said:

Strictly cosmetic. If it is removed nothing changes but appearance.

Re Gerr: They are not wrong. But I think that curving the ends upwards is a classic boat thing. Not so common on newer boats.

8 minutes ago, El Borracho said:

Strictly cosmetic. If it is removed nothing changes but appearance.

Re Gerr: They are not wrong. But I think that curving the ends upwards is a classic boat thing. Not so common on newer boats.

If you don’t sheer the water line your boat will always look bow down , stern down 

3 minutes ago, slug zitski said:

If you don’t sheer the water line your boat will always look bow down , stern down 

Mine is perfectly straight. Antifoul, not boot stripe. Looks fine moored and underway. That is the problem with cosmetics: Cougars and yachts both, the cosmetics hide problems.  The solution to a trim issue is to fix the trim.

1 minute ago, El Borracho said:

Mine is perfectly straight. Antifoul, not boot stripe. Looks fine moored and underway. That is the problem with cosmetics: Cougars and yachts both, the cosmetics hide problems.  The solution to a trim issue is to fix the trim.

Drop your anchor and the bow rises  up and stern down 

New picture showing the bottom coat (Pettit Hydrocoat) after pressure washing compared to the boot stripe after pressure washing, some light scraping w a nylon scraper and more pressure washing.

I hate doing it and if there isn’t a functional reason not to do so, I would like to extend the bottom coat to cover the boot stripe.

CB694EA6-00C7-4BE4-A120-C82D7740ECC6.jpeg

Where's the waterline? Normally the antifoul extends 60-80mm above it to cope with chop, changes in trim, etc.

I bring my antifoul up to the bootstripe - looks fine as I use white antifoul with a dark bootstripe - to avoid white topside paint at the waterline, which seems to attract green slime in our waters!

1 hour ago, Fleetwood said:

Where's the waterline? Normally the antifoul extends 60-80mm above it to cope with chop, changes in trim, etc.

I bring my antifoul up to the bootstripe - looks fine as I use white antifoul with a dark bootstripe - to avoid white topside paint at the waterline, which seems to attract green slime in our waters!

Approx the bottom of the thicker stripe, right where the heaviest black gunk is. The boat is not loaded with supplies or other junk that would cause her to ride low in the water.

8F20AE96-09D2-43CE-A273-8DC81940CBBC.png

3 hours ago, Gabe_nyc said:

New picture showing the bottom coat (Pettit Hydrocoat) after pressure washing compared to the boot stripe after pressure washing, some light scraping w a nylon scraper and more pressure washing.

I hate doing it and if there isn’t a functional reason not to do so, I would like to extend the bottom coat to cover the boot stripe.

CB694EA6-00C7-4BE4-A120-C82D7740ECC6.jpeg

Unload some junk from your boat or raise the stripe

• Like 1
1 hour ago, 00seven said:

Unload some junk from your boat or raise the stripe

Boat is VERY empty.

No extra sails on board. No water in the holding tank. I took out the water heater because broken. I took out the stove, tank, cabin table because I don’t use them. I took out the hardwood head doors and replaced them w curtains. I cut my hair and trimmed my toenails (:-)

6 minutes ago, Gabe_nyc said:

Boat is VERY empty.

No extra sails on board. No water in the holding tank. I took out the water heater because broken. I took out the stove, tank, cabin table because I don’t use them. I took out the hardwood head doors and replaced them w curtains. I cut my hair and trimmed my toenails (:-)

:lol: Ok. It was just a thought. 

Since your bottom paint and boot stripe are both red I would just raise the bottom paint to the top of the thick stripe. Normally antifouling is parallel to the water (it's the boot strip that has some spring to it) so on a shippy traditional boat you'd want to actually mark out a new waterline for the bottom paint. On a boat like the Tartan above the sheer (and consequently the boot stripe) are pretty flat so you'd probably end up with some really narrow areas in the stripe and it would look better to just follow the existing stripe.

That's what I did for my boat and I'm happy with how it turned out. (in the water photo is during a 7 week cruise so pretty heavily loaded)

PXL_20210401_222932035.jpg

PXL_20210326_235506134.jpg

PXL_20210718_152057934.jpg

• Like 1
16 hours ago, andykane said:

Since your bottom paint and boot stripe are both red I would just raise the bottom paint to the top of the thick stripe.

Thanks Andy. That’s what I’m currently leaning towards. I’ll start cleaning the hull etc and see if hanging on to the thin stripe is worth the trouble.

15 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

$100 for a quart for 40 sq inches of waterline..   

I'd love to be able to do anything on my boat for $100. Only in my dreams. 

My boot stripe is about 4" x 90' so I don't think a quart would do it. 

On 10/25/2021 at 12:59 AM, Gabe_nyc said:

Approx the bottom of the thicker stripe, right where the heaviest black gunk is. The boat is not loaded with supplies or other junk that would cause her to ride low in the water.

8F20AE96-09D2-43CE-A273-8DC81940CBBC.png

So its a factory applied set of boot stripes, right?  Chances are they weren't applied to low.  So either the boat has gotten heavier (gear or???) or maybe you get alot of junk in the water in your slip that wind and tide blow against the side of the boat?  Or does it happen on both sides?  And years of scraping/cleaning it off have abraded the original gelcoat, such that it now has "teeth" and give the junk something to grab onto?  

What about a good cleaning, followed by a good rubbing compound/polishing compound/waxing to make a smooth and waxed surface?  Also a more regular cleaning (weekly?  every other week?) - (diver or deck brush on a handle) to not allow junk to build up/sit there all season until haul out and pressure wash?

How about a picture of the boat in her slip on a calm day right after spring launch?  Where does the actual waterline sit?  Is it above the boot stripes, or down on the bottom paint?

Crash, you make many valid points and raise interesting questions above:

The boat is a 1981 model. I am the 3rd owner that I know of, but probably more than that. No way to know if the stripes are in original location or not.

As I mentioned earlier, the boat has gotten lighter rather than heavier.

Junk happens on both sides.

A good cleaning / waxing is definitely on the roadmap before next season.

The boat is moored in a marina (next to Merchant Marine Academy) where the water is usually agitated by passing boat wakes and such. It is an unpleasant patch of water to do work on the boat. If I do have to work on it, I go to a nearby bay and anchor there.

Brushing it from the deck could happen, but, since nobody has come with a functional (i.e. non-cosmetic) reason for the boot stripe,  what in your view would be the point of hiring a diver etc compared to simply extending the ablative upwards to cover the wide lower stripe?

Ablative painted high on the topsides is difficult to keep clean. Perhaps because it is usually dark it is able to hide the sins. Does not stand up to scrubbing well. Easiest to clean, by far, is new gel coat or 2-part PU. 
Extending the ablative up is also expensive because the geometrically great area. 
If you do not want to paint the entire topsides with new PU then a new, slick, easy-clean bootstripe could be the best choice. It wouldn’t be cosmetic in that case. 

6 hours ago, Gabe_nyc said:

As I mentioned earlier, the boat has gotten lighter rather than heavier.

Unless you had it weighed when it was new, weighed when you bought it, and weighed again now that you've gotten years of accumulated crap out of it, you can't really say if its lighter or heavier then when new.  You can reasonably assume it's lighter now then when you bought it...

I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing Tartans of that vintage had cored decks and solid glass hulls?  So it likely hasn't absorbed enough water to materially effect its displacement???

Is there a Tartan owners group that can help shed some light on this?

2 hours ago, Crash said:

I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing Tartans of that vintage had cored decks and solid glass hulls?  So it likely hasn't absorbed enough water to materially effect its displacement???

Is there a Tartan owners group that can help shed some light on this?

Yes, cored decks and solid glass hull.

The rudder is “wet” (I have another thread trying to figure out what to do about it) but foam inside, not wood and probably not “wet” enough to make a difference.

There is indeed a Tartan Owners Group but there does not seem to be much traffic there and although they have dedicated groups for many Tartans, there is nothing for the 3000 which is the model I have.

Years ago, I read somewhere that boot stripes were originally used as a quick coat of Antifoulant around the waterline whose purpose was to extend the life of a bottom job. 
     The boot stripe was painted in a different colored material so it would be obvious the next paintjob would likely need to be the entire bottom. 
    Whoever wrote what I read suggested boot stripes above the waterline were the antithesis of the original conceit because boot stripes took EXTRA time and money to maintain while failing to serve any functional purpose.

I don’t know if the writer was full of shit or not but I like what he write and I am generally annoyed by having to maintain functionless boot stripes. 

57 minutes ago, Gouvernail said:

Whoever wrote what I read suggested boot stripes above the waterline were the antithesis of the original conceit because boot stripes took EXTRA time and money to maintain while failing to serve any functional purpose.

Unrelated to sailing, but my favorite example of this is how Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois is called that because that’s where the NW was 200 years ago ... (:-)