10 hours ago, shebeen said:

The way the US sailGP team has improved from Rome Kirby to JS I'd be interested to see who it could be from the US.

Surely it's got to be Goodie

Goodie was spotted in Newport with a bunch of other team members a couple weeks ago when American Magic had a team meeting.  They were hiding out in Middletown to be exact.

• Like 2
  • Replies 798
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why would a yacht club be interested in that which is clearly NOT yachting?   The most recent AC was essentially a demonstration sport.  It's not based on anything large numbers of people have ev

Don't want to be the TOLD YOU SO GUY, but @dg_sailingfan really nailed colours to this mast hard.                

As an FYI, my contract with AM ended in April 2021 and they shut down the team at that time.  I joined the Audrain Group thereafter in May as their head of sponsorship where I've been for the last yea

Posted Images

13 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

Disagree, I think TH is a good CEO and fully expect he will stay in charge but retire from his onboard grinding role. I also expect he will try to sign, or already has signed, one very hot helm... 

TH may be the face of American Magic, but he shouldn't be "running" the team.  He ran it for AC36 and look at their results. 

2 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

Isn't his wife American? Green card sufficed.

And once you have a Green card (through long-term residency and/or employment and/or family)  then you can apply for citizenship, which takes around 5 years? 

Am guessing shebeen’s quotes are by Slingsby, yes. Great find if so.  

1 hour ago, Chobani Sailor said:

TH may be the face of American Magic, but he shouldn't be "running" the team.  He ran it for AC36 and look at their results. 

Sure, they may need more of a ‘traditional’ CEO and COO (pro business types) - could understand that. 

But I do think they need both a better helm and (since TH is likely off the boat) a new strategist; they may also want to leave Goodie on wing trim. Those are the kind of decisions TH could add value on. 

41 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

And once you have a Green card (through long-term residency and/or employment and/or family)  then you can apply for citizenship, which takes around 5 years? 

Am guessing shebeen’s quotes are by Slingsby, yes. Great find if so.  

I think nationality is satisfied by Green Card. Surprised if he got citizenship but in any event he sure identifies an Australian.    

28 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

He has dual citizenship!  That would be a great addition if AM got Slingsby to helm their boat!!!!!!

Slingsby is obviously the hottest hand out there, yes! If his only other citizenship besides AUS is USA then (while he may be worth a ship-ton of money on an open market) he may be willing to sign?  

1 hour ago, Sailbydate said:

So he does have the necessary paperwork. Could be real interesting.

For AC34 and AC35 Slingsby was tactician, with JS on helm. There was debate here when OR fell behind in both about if TS should take over at helm but RC and whoever never did make that change. It's possible TS would be best-positioned again at tactician on an AC75?

27 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Story I heard was RC wanted TS on helm last time but pitbull went whining to Larry and kept the wheel. And lost.

Yes, I remember that rumor too but, like what TS said in the piece shebeen located, it was the way they sailed the boat that made the biggest difference in the turnaround. TS likely had big input into all that, without being on the helm. BA coming in late in SF (as basically a tactician, and the change possibly ordered by LE) seemed to be a difference-maker too, it's a critical position in the afterguard.

27 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

For AC34 and AC35 Slingsby was tactician, with JS on helm. There was debate here when OR fell behind in both about if TS should take over at helm but RC and whoever never did make that change. It's possible TS would be best-positioned again at tactician on an AC75?

Wrong, Ben was Tactician for OTUSA replacing Kostecki in AC34 and Singsby was the Strategist. The Combination of those 3 Spithill/Ainslie/Slingsby was obviously deadly good once everyone found their spot.

2 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Yes, I remember that rumor too but, like what TS said in the piece shebeen located, it was the way they sailed the boat that made the biggest difference in the turnaround. TS likely had big input into all that, without being on the helm. BA coming in late in SF (as basically a tactician, and the change possibly ordered by LE) seemed to be a difference-maker too, it's a critical position in the afterguard.

That was 34. I was talking about last time Oracle raced (and lost) ie 35

• Like 1
On 12/21/2021 at 11:12 AM, Chobani Sailor said:

Which results?  The first team to sail an AC75?  The first team to sail their test mule?  The first team to sail their V2 boat? The first team to beat ETNZ? 

Oh you mean the one crash that was as much DB's fault as anyone.  As the leader he falls on his sword, but you are a moron if you think "their results" should be boiled down to one boat handling error.  The team is moving forward and TH is leading the charge!

And DD and HF are so mad at TH that he has been sailing on both of their boats this summer.  Block Island on BM72 and the 52SS on QR.

MS

• Like 5
On 12/21/2021 at 8:18 PM, Stingray~ said:

Great find, I tried for a minute yesterday but gave up too quickly. 

https://www.insidesport.com.au/more-sport/news/tom-slingsby-421913

Yup, that's him.

Handling sailgp quite well currently.

Cleaned up at moth world's. Rolex sailor of the year.

Never helmed at AC.

Not sailing Olympic circuit.

No other viable US helm.

No Australian AC team.

I can't think of any reason why Tom slingsby would not take this job of it is on the table.

10 minutes ago, shebeen said:

I can't think of any reason why Tom Slingsby would not take this job of it is on the table.

It's possible he has more lucrative opportunities, even in coming SailGP prospects, but yes - agreed this is a very-real possibility. Rumor is that TH approached JS too but he said he was already recommitted to LR; if that is true it at least shows intention by AM to aim high.

Also shows that American youth will continue to see they best not "aspire" to be AC helms. Continuing the great legacy of the last umpteen cups...was Peter Holmberg the last "US" helm? 

Maybe they can dream of grinding. 

20 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Also shows that American youth will continue to see they best not "aspire" to be AC helms. Continuing the great legacy of the last umpteen cups...was Peter Holmberg the last "US" helm? 

Maybe they can dream of grinding. 

Tom competed in 2 AC's for USA and has an American mother. It's absolutely no problem for me, I know Americans with far more diverse accents and backgrounds.

I did have hopes for Bora but lost track about what if anything he is sailing nowadays.

3 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Tom competed in 2 AC's for USA and has an American mother. It's absolutely no problem for me, I know Americans with far more diverse accents and backgrounds.

I did have hopes for Bora buy lost track about what if anything he is sailing nowadays.

It's not a "problem" having a multinational team. It's a problem that the US lost the "prize" for US kids to aspire to because the Team USA had hardly any on it and thus no "AC experience" when that's needed. 

6 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

It's not a "problem" having a multinational team. It's a problem that the US lost the "prize" for US kids to aspire to because the Team USA had hardly any on it and thus no "AC experience" when that's needed. 

US kids will have the option to aspire to this too. The WAC and YAC should also help. All good.

31 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Lost a couple of generations there.  Thanks Larry.

LE is who introduced a YAC and Red Bull is who sponsored it through 2 AC cycles. LE's SailGP is also who is gradually promoting females into that series with, according to one of the AUS females this weekend, a 'big' announcement coming soon on that front.

There are plenty of ways to critisize LE but his generosity towards sailing definitely deserves a very $B big kudo. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Mr. Squirrel said:

Oh you mean the one crash that was as much DB's fault as anyone.  As the leader he falls on his sword, but you are a moron if you think "their results" should be boiled down to one boat handling error.  The team is moving forward and TH is leading the charge!

Rose tinted specs. Their results in the CSS were shiite before the crash.

15 minutes ago, dogwatch said:

Rose tinted specs. Their results in the CSS were shiite before the crash.

AM's results may well have been due in part to the lower-range than the typical/forecasted conditions that eventuated, ie: compared to the 14kt-18knts range they had designed and optimized for.

Botin being signed by ARB for AC37 does make AM's prospects a touch more unpredictable this time. 

1 hour ago, Stingray~ said:

LE is who introduced a YAC and Red Bull is who sponsored it through 2 AC cycles. LE's SailGP is also who is gradually promoting females into that series with, according to one of the AUS females this weekend, a 'big' announcement coming soon on that front.

There are plenty of ways to critisize LE but his generosity towards sailing definitely deserves a very $B big kudo. 

But how many up and coming American sailors were on his AC boats? It was OTAUS in 2013 and you know it.  There was no path onto AC boats despite his beneficence. 

1 hour ago, Stingray~ said:

TS_LE.thumb.png.eeffc11cecdcf01010d813624b91a3bd.png

"Yeah, yeah  I know you should have replaced Jimmy in Bermuda but he's such a noodge and I was getting tired of the politics. See? This is even better and you can drive. I won't cut off the stipend for a few years." 

San Francisco May 2019

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

(Italics)Not to mention BOR having both JS and TS on the afterguard, who else has supported ginger sailors more?

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Mr. Squirrel said:

Which results?  The first team to sail an AC75?  The first team to sail their test mule?  The first team to sail their V2 boat? The first team to beat ETNZ? 

And DD and HF are so mad at TH that he has been sailing on both of their boats this summer.  Block Island on BM72 and the 52SS on QR.

MS

You may enjoy working with TH, but I have a lot of connections from that team.  There is a reason they came in last place, there is a reason the Commodore was vocal on the dumping of AM so quickly, there is a reason that the Alinghi team has tons of American Magic team members on it including the lead designers and key production personnel.  It was apparently a shitshow because it was so poorly run by TH.  People were anxious to disassociate themselves.  Plain and simple, if TH was a great leader he would have removed himself from being a grinder.  He was the weak link on the boat.

Rewatch the the Christmas race against ETNZ - you can see ETNZ had pre-race problems with their boat.  When the racing counted they got slaughtered.

Sailing BM72 in Block Island against a bunch of tiny little boats.  That's like a D1 football team playing against high school teams. Is that the only way TH can win nowadays?  When they sail against other 72s they don't do well.

AM is going to be the weakest team in AC37 if TH is running the show.

People need to stop using the crash as an excuse. They got leapfrogged by INEOS and LR before the crash even happened.

They should've slaughtered INEOS in that first RR1 match, but they got slaughtered. Then they had an opportunity to bounce back against LR, who lets be honest, was very much on the ropes themselves at that time, in RR1 race 3, and got beaten again. Then they had another race against INEOS that they lost.

Then the crash happened. But they still had opportunities to get back on track afterward, but had a nightmare semi final. 

Including their last race against Team NZ in the ACWS, they lost 4 races in a row, then crashed, sat out a couple of weeks, then lost another 4 in a row.

The AM campaign was poor. They made all the same mistakes Team NZ made in 2013. Dean at least, was part of that. They should've learned from San Fran, but they didn't.

• Like 2
44 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

People need to stop using the crash as an excuse. They got leapfrogged by INEOS and LR before the crash even happened.

They should've slaughtered INEOS in that first RR1 match, but they got slaughtered. Then they had an opportunity to bounce back against LR, who lets be honest, was very much on the ropes themselves at that time, in RR1 race 3, and got beaten again. Then they had another race against INEOS that they lost.

Then the crash happened. But they still had opportunities to get back on track afterward, but had a nightmare semi final. 

Including their last race against Team NZ in the ACWS, they lost 4 races in a row, then crashed, sat out a couple of weeks, then lost another 4 in a row.

The AM campaign was poor. They made all the same mistakes Team NZ made in 2013. Dean at least, was part of that. They should've learned from San Fran, but they didn't.

Very well articulated.

On 12/23/2021 at 11:19 AM, Mr. Squirrel said:

It was not the boat handling error that finished them, it was bad structural design, the other teams had similar "handling errors" and the able to continue sailing.

1 hour ago, Terry Hollis said:

It was not the boat handling error that finished them, it was bad structural design, the other teams had similar "handling errors" and the able to continue sailing.

You cannot possibly conclude that because other boats had similar handling errors in similar conditions and survived that it was a structural design issue. Anyone who has raced competitively will have know almost identical errors in as close as can be judges the same conditions with totally different outcomes.

And I don't recall anyone else doing anything else remotely similar anyway

• Like 1
On 12/23/2021 at 7:06 PM, Chobani Sailor said:

Very well articulated.

Indeed!

Frankly, I think American Magic, given the Brits poor Christmas showing, were underestimating them. That was their biggest miscalculation.

However, I did say in numerous Threads at that time if there is one Team who is going to make the biggest jump between the ACWS + Christmas Race and the Start of the Prada Cup proper it is going to be INEOS! I was right!

IMHO AM was not strong enough to start with.  My theory is that the rudder judder was caused by twisting her arse. thats why they were unable to find a hydrodynamic solution to it.  They were however able to mitigate somewhat by leaving thebackstays done up so that some of this twisting was resisted by the rig.    not releasing thebackstays made the upset worse

• Like 1
21 hours ago, breezie said:

IMHO AM was not strong enough to start with.  My theory is that the rudder judder was caused by twisting her arse. thats why they were unable to find a hydrodynamic solution to it.  They were however able to mitigate somewhat by leaving thebackstays done up so that some of this twisting was resisted by the rig.    not releasing thebackstays made the upset worse

Do you understand the backstays are on hydraulic actuators?  They arent like a rope backstays that can be eased nearly as much as needed.  The hydraulic cylinders/actuators only have so much travel and when that travel is used up, bad shit can happen.  They eased the backstay as much as they could.  Unfortunately it wasnt enough.

MS

52 minutes ago, Mr. Squirrel said:

Do you understand the backstays are on hydraulic actuators?  They arent like a rope backstays that can be eased nearly as much as needed.  The hydraulic cylinders/actuators only have so much travel and when that travel is used up, bad shit can happen.  They eased the backstay as much as they could.  Unfortunately it wasnt enough.

MS

well the video of the crash does not [appear to] support that but you could be correct. maby you have some source confirming that the backstay was released, what is undeniable is that as she reared up the main was constrained by the backstay and that had to make the crash worse. I would still really like to understand how the rudder judder was being sustained

9 hours ago, breezie said:

well the video of the crash does not [appear to] support that but you could be correct. maby you have some source confirming that the backstay was released, what is undeniable is that as she reared up the main was constrained by the backstay and that had to make the crash worse. I would still really like to understand how the rudder judder was being sustained

I don’t have a link because it was awhile ago, but in a post crash press conference, TH specifically said they let out every bit of travel in the hydraulic ram. 

Is there going to be ONE team in the AC37 shitshow that doesn't fall over its own feet getting out of their clowncar?

AM's Liz Taylor-Richard Burton divorce and remarriage with NYYC

The team maybe known as ETNZ venue que$t

Not sure what crises Ineos has...

But maybe EB is just counting his money and planning his next defense....

6 hours ago, Stingray~ said:
8 hours ago, E2nO said:

That post was by RG, who often gets his messages from GD.  Forgive me but while I do expect AM will enter I am not holding my breath on the timing of this..

Yeah so much for the announcement within hours.? LOL

Bingo

New York Yacht Club to challenge for 37th America’s Cup with American Magic - What's Up Newp (whatsupnewp.com)

Earlier this week the Trustees of the New York Yacht Club approved a challenge for the 37th edition of the America’s Cup, sailing’s most prestigious trophy.

“We are extremely excited to continue our quest to regain the America’s Cup with American Magic,” says Paul M. Zabetakis, M.D., Commodore of the New York Yacht Club (at right). “Upon receiving the Protocol for the 37th Match, we were pleased to find that it contains elements advocated for by the Club last spring. In addition, the Executive Committee recently received a new proposal from Doug DeVos and Hap Fauth, American Magic principals and Club members, that warranted reconsidering our earlier decision to pause our pursuit of AC37.”
  • Like 1
On 10/23/2021 at 1:53 AM, Gissie said:

They are the pinicale of inshore racing yachts as long as you believe inshore racing should be only within very limited wind ranges and no waves.

Wouldn't get much racing done if you lived in Christchurch or Wellington, that's for sure.

'Hi guys, I know we were taking the pinicale out to show those lead mines, but it's gusting up to 23kts so a bit dangerous.

Yeah, I know the opti's are going out, but they are not the pinicale, we are. Let you know when we plan on racing next. Weather looks good in about 13 weeks.'

:lol:

The only race boat that would need 11 discards for a 12 race series.

Its adorable NYYC and AM kissed and made up.

Now if they were to win the cup, where exactly do they think they're going to race? Going oldschool and sailing out front in Newport isn't possible unless they wanted to add some new carbon dive sites. Inside the bay would be a crap show. I suppose they'll ship it off to NYC where nobody will care?

They decided because if they win they are assured of a White House visit. Maybe have to wait till 2025 tho. RWNJ team Amerika.  Maybe they can get MyPillow as a sponsor, TV won't run ads but sail space available.

• Like 1

Looks like this is one of the "big" changes coming out from NYYC leakers - someone from the Kevin Shoebridge upbringing - Tyson Lamond is in charge of American Magic Operations:  old article - https://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2014/02/13/seven-tips-becoming-sailing-professional/

This would put HF's Rob Ouellette out as COO.

1 hour ago, Chobani Sailor said:

Looks like this is one of the "big" changes coming out from NYYC leakers - someone from the Kevin Shoebridge upbringing - Tyson Lamond is in charge of American Magic Operations:  old article - https://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2014/02/13/seven-tips-becoming-sailing-professional/

This would put HF's Rob Ouellette out as COO.

Tyson is a good guy, and has paid some dues in the trenches. He also has the right attitude for the job.

1 hour ago, XPRO said:

NYYC and AM are starting to look like Bobby and Whitney....

And good for Tyson. 

Was the crash in the last AC the OD in the bathtub? Or is that yet to come?

On 10/20/2021 at 2:42 PM, Admiral Hornblower said:

American Magic needs it own thread now that the NYYC team is no more

Did not think this would turn around so quickly.

Tom Slingsby to drive the boat. 

Otherwise Goodie.

Surely not Deano, as TH won't be on it as a part time grinder either so they can sit on the chase boat together

• Like 1

Fauth and DeVos offered upfront funding and a commitment to a multiple cycles. 

They apparently did not want S+S at any price. See fp screenshots I posted in the NYYC thread or go look. 

• Like 1
On 1/8/2022 at 1:35 AM, pusslicker said:

Was the crash in the last AC the OD in the bathtub? Or is that yet to come?

Ha ha,

The infamous LEQ 12 yacht will provide for that.
810650819_LEQ12.png.c774fd3f7b4db047beec9971996f334c.png
It's a big bathtub, to make a real towing test better scale it down to two meters or so.

13 hours ago, Schakel said:

Ha ha,

The infamous LEQ 12 yacht will provide for that.
810650819_LEQ12.png.c774fd3f7b4db047beec9971996f334c.png
It's a big bathtub, to make a real towing test better scale it down to two meters or so.

How about you stick on some skinny poles or extensions to make the thing over 12M long....  Test away

5 hours ago, yoyoboy said:

How about you stick on some skinny poles or extensions to make the thing over 12M long....  Test away

Pretty curious how this LEQ12 yacht will look like.
Here is a suggestion:
1667054214_LEQ122.thumb.png.4f708d5ef7db81457d9acac488a307d0.png
Strange, I have seen foil testing in a towing tank and it's been done foil by foil.
Anyway towing tank test technology is something better discussed in a laboratory where it belongs.

• Like 1

Strangely enough towing tank test are forbidden, so they build a life platform that does about the same thing.
But not quitte the same. 
I saw the movie Wind, fictional Australia win vaguely based on Australia 2 win in 1983.
In that movie they do towing test in a river, primitive but effective, this is about the same thing.
https://www.imdb.com/video/vi1860305177?playlistId=tt0105824&ref_=tt_ov_vi

On 1/10/2022 at 12:18 PM, yoyoboy said:

Uh, I think the rule says anything that is analogous to a test platform is limited.

3 hours ago, nroose said:

Uh, I think the rule says anything that is analogous to a test platform is limited.

It does. You can use your AC75 (but then it counts from your meagre allowance); your LEQ12 (separate allowance) or Ac40 ( if within the AC40 rule then that allowance, else counts from you AC75 allowance.

Nothing else allowed (apart from simulation)

18 minutes ago, Chobani Sailor said:

Sorry to say it but this response didn't age well.

Well, if you assume the opposite of what he says is correct, you will be right more often than not.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, accnick said:

Well, if you assume the opposite of what he says is correct, you will be right more often than not.

And if he agrees with 4 then you can put your house on them both being wrong

• Like 1
6 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

And if he agrees with 4 then you can put your house on them both being wrong

Have there been any occasions where dumb and dumber actually agreed?

From a new Article by Richard Gladwell

Sail-World understands that one America's Cup team has been trying to get access into Auckland to start sailing in September, this year. However all entry applications have been declined - an action which confirms that Auckland cannot stage the 2024 event. All teams, including the holders can start sailing from from September 17, 2022, and new teams can start sailing Version 1 AC75's in five months from June 17, 2022.

It looks like American Magic was the Team who tried to again access to Auckland since they have still their Boats down there.

Really stupid move by Terry Hutchinson not to ship their Equipment back to the States. They gambled on that AC37 would be held in Auckland.

1 hour ago, Monkey said:

Have there been any occasions where dumb and dumber actually agreed?

Yep, happens every time someone agrees with you.

Come on. You walked into that one.

Are you dumb? or dumber?

or just dumbest.

12 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Sail-World understands that one America's Cup team has been trying to get access into Auckland to start sailing in September, this year. However all entry applications have been declined - an action which confirms that Auckland cannot stage the 2024 event. All teams, including the holders can start sailing from from September 17, 2022, and new teams can start sailing Version 1 AC75's in five months from June 17, 2022.

It looks like American Magic was the Team who tried to again access to Auckland since they have still their Boats down there.

Really stupid move by Terry Hutchinson not to ship their Equipment back to the States. They gambled on that AC37 would be held in Auckland.

They had a handful of Kiwis employed on their team so shouldn't be too difficult to truck everything over to the port and ship it to the States.  Their stuff was mostly Baytex tents anyways.  If you can't sail until September they have plenty of time to get everything "home"

Plus they don't really have a home in the States - RI six months, FL six months.  Can't really sail in Florida in September and October during the heart of the hurricane season and seems silly to sail in RI for September and October and then ship everything to Florida.  California is the ideal location for a US based America's Cup team.

• Like 2
18 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Who knew our peerless Kiwi friends would completely sell out? Having said that, why wouldn't they just pick up a phone and have all the shit sent home since it doesn't look like we will have a venue for years?

18 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

This sounds like BS.  How can they already deny access for September when it is only January?  I can see then putting it on hold until a later date for review, but it would seems ridiculous for them to deny it 9-10 months in advance...

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

This sounds like BS.  How can they already deny access for September when it is only January?  I can see then putting it on hold until a later date for review, but it would seems ridiculous for them to deny it 9-10 months in advance...

They denied the Applicants for SailGP, which was slated in January 2022 in July 2021. It makes sense. With this Government anything is possible.

1 hour ago, The_Alchemist said:

They want access so that they can get their stuff and put it somewhere else and get it ready so that they can actually be sailing in September. Perhaps it's more time than they really need, but if they have a lot of stuff and they want to do some boatbuilding on/with it between now and then, it's not all that long. And probably they have the time to do it (and maybe nothing else to do) now and may not later.

2 hours ago, The_Alchemist said:

It's just RG, sucking, at straws, to make, excuses for, GD as usual. Yawn..... :)

8 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

It's just RG, sucking, at straws, to make, excuses for, GD as usual. Yawn..... :)

As opposed to TE, farting, at seniles, to make, gristle for, TE as usual. Yawn.... :rolleyes:

Sail-World understands that one America's Cup team has been trying to get access into Auckland to start sailing in September, this year. However all entry applications have been declined - an action which confirms that Auckland cannot stage the 2024 event........interestingly, the (Malaga) Mayor Francisco de la Torre "has asserted that some of the Cup teams could begin to settle in the city between the end of 2022 and the beginning of 2023. 

So not being able to get permission at this moment to be in Auckland in September rules it out as a venue whereas the possibility of being in Malaga by Dec 22 or Jan 23 is just fine.

Gladwell either has straw between his ears or is happy to presume that his readers do.

On the subject of Gladwell, calling your book on AC36 "Gulf Wars" is also the act of a 

horses-ass1.jpg

17 hours ago, dogwatch said:

Sail-World understands that one America's Cup team has been trying to get access into Auckland to start sailing in September, this year. However all entry applications have been declined - an action which confirms that Auckland cannot stage the 2024 event........interestingly, the (Malaga) Mayor Francisco de la Torre "has asserted that some of the Cup teams could begin to settle in the city between the end of 2022 and the beginning of 2023. 

So not being able to get permission at this moment to be in Auckland in September rules it out as a venue whereas the possibility of being in Malaga by Dec 22 or Jan 23 is just fine.

Gladwell either has straw between his ears or is happy to presume that his readers do.

On the subject of Gladwell, calling your book on AC36 "Gulf Wars" is also the act of a 

horses-ass1.jpg