Jump to content

Offset Companionways: safe? convenient?


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Ishmael said:

He may as well just chop a big hole in the bow and get it over with.

We need to find the tri-fecta - bridge-deck traveler. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good god man, are you trying to start a war???  Isn't the bridge deck traveller thread divisive enough, tearing apart this happy band of kindred souls?

And the engineer in me wants to know what the definition is of an offset companionway?  An inch?  A foot?  Given that most boats are not on C&C machined molds I'd guarantee some offset, how much is too much?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Elegua said:

Hoyt Freedom 40. Offset and facing forward. Double death.

freedom_40_cc_photo.jpg

 

It's worse than that - two offset companionways, with one facing forwards.   A floating casket.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Elegua said:

Hoyt Freedom 40. Offset and facing forward. Double death.

freedom_40_cc_photo.jpg

 

Errrm. I have one of those too. Except mine is on the port side.

And there's one going into the fwd cabin.

Guess the only reason the boat hasn't sunk yet is we're too incompetent to sail it properly. Or something.

FKT

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Elegua said:

Hoyt Freedom 40. Offset and facing forward. Double death.

freedom_40_cc_photo.jpg

 

I think that's Black Duck, built for Donald Sutherland, who apparently survived. Man up, guys.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

I think that's Black Duck, built for Donald Sutherland, who apparently survived. Man up, guys.

I think FKT is on to something. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, sculpin said:

Good god man, are you trying to start a war???  Isn't the bridge deck traveller thread divisive enough, tearing apart this happy band of kindred souls?

And the engineer in me wants to know what the definition is of an offset companionway?  An inch?  A foot?  Given that most boats are not on C&C machined molds I'd guarantee some offset, how much is too much?

as long you don't see it without mesuring, it is good.

Bit like the square (or retangular) rooms in old houses. They all look good, but when you start using a straight edge and a square you see things you wish you haven't seen

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, The great unwashed said:

“Manors.”  Manors are more important than laws.  At least according to the wealthy.

And favorable long term capital gains tax rates. Don't forget about that. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

I think that's Black Duck, built for Donald Sutherland, who apparently survived. Man up, guys.

I thought the pod people ate his brain.

That's what happens when you have an offset companionway.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Kris Cringle said:

The extremes: No companionway

1485269428_Solution(1of1).thumb.jpg.68495e0f52877e69c15cb972b181b5aa.jpg

Offset, both ways: 

1184081815_RhodesReliantdualcompanionway(1of1).thumb.jpg.9babab54cc507e8e97b4fee1bf75502e.jpg

A lot of older Swans suffer from the "no companionway" syndrome, where you crawl over the deck and down below through a hole using a near-vertical ladder.

I had a boat like that for a number of years. Many decades ago, Gary Jobson got one of my dachshunds drunk on that boat, and she fell  6' head first straight down that ladder, miraculously without significant injury.

She was looking for a place to crash to sleep off her drunk, and she literally found one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, accnick said:

A lot of older Swans suffer from the "no companionway" syndrome, where you crawl over the deck and down below through a hole using a near-vertical ladder.

I had a boat like that for a number of years. Many decades ago, Gary Jobson got one of my dachshunds drunk on that boat, and she fell  6' head first straight down that ladder, miraculously without significant injury.

She was looking for a place to crash to sleep off her drunk, and she literally found one.

Lucky dog! 

I think I've been told Solution was built to go underwater it was so tightly designed to ocean race.

There's more than a few boats that were designed for something radical and then they live through owner after owner hobbled by the design brief - a snapshot in time of somebody's notion, now long gone.

I wish Alden had offset mine 6 more inches. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

You're just an evil, evil man, Bull!

For shame!

Clearly, when people bemoan the divisiveness in the USA today, the origin can be traced to this thread.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Willin' said:

Clearly, when people bemoan the divisiveness in the USA today, the origin can be traced to this thread.

I know that some people don't approve of the storming of the Capitol by protesters against offset companionways ... but surely those disapprovers don't really believe that it was a disproportionate response to such a terrible evil?

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Jim in Halifax said:

That, and the south was building stealth ships like the Merrimac in contravention of the pre-radar restrictions. Oops, wrong thread.

They were no match for the planes the north had.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Monitor offset companionway...

USS_Monitor_after_Battle_of_Hampton_Road

USS_Monitor_-_H58758.jpg

Merrimack offset...

1024px-MonitorMerrimac.jpg

css-virginia-large-56a61c395f9b58b7d0dff

Neither ship now exists!

Need more be said?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

It must have been incredibly loud inside that thing when they fired the cannon, or when they took a hit.

 

Bleeding from the nose and ears as I recall reading. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kris Cringle said:

100+ year old correct design. Alden got this one dead solid perfect: 

455443495_ScreenShot2021-10-22at7_48_12AM.thumb.png.dacaf27cf9c4c622f01dfd71c2917bd5.png

I reckon that an offset companionway is much safer in cases like this when the boat doesn't have mast.  No pesky sails to push you over and enable downflooding through the offset hatch.

Sp yeah, Alden did well here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Ishmael said:

It must have been incredibly loud inside that thing when they fired the cannon, or when they took a hit.

USS_Monitor_after_Battle_of_Hampton_Road

I mean, the ship is impressive and all for the time, but how about a shout out for that folding chair!  I would've never guessed those suckers existed yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Shouldn’t there be a thread on the dangers of the offset hull / deck joint?   

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Lark said:

Shouldn’t there be a thread on the dangers of the offset hull / deck joint?   

The most dangerous feature on a lot of boats is the nut holding the wheel or tiller.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Calling Elvis said:

I mean, the ship is impressive and all for the time, but how about a shout out for that folding chair!  I would've never guessed those suckers existed yet.

The Romans had folding campaign chairs that they copied from the Eqyptians.

Be they Roman, Napoleonic, or British Imperial...officers seem to (have someone) carry around soft landing spots for their tushes

220px-Curule_chair%2C_sella_curulis%2C_M

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/22/2021 at 7:53 AM, Kris Cringle said:

The imminent danger of the offset companionway is just another conspiracy theory, which Bull is selling. 

100+ year old correct design. Alden got this one dead solid perfect: 

 

455443495_ScreenShot2021-10-22at7_48_12AM.thumb.png.dacaf27cf9c4c622f01dfd71c2917bd5.png

The single biggest problem with that particular boat is the latitude.

I appreciate the romantic candle-lit binnacle, though

FB- Doug

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

The single biggest problem with that particular boat is the latitude.

I appreciate the romantic candle-lit binnacle, though

FB- Doug

Looks like a fine, warm day to me. There's no snow on the decks.

No, the biggest problem I see in that photo is all the timber on the weather decks. Timber should be below, out of the UV and away from the salt water. The only reason for having timber on weather decks is to keep other people gainfully employed doing the maintenance.

FKT

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Looks like a fine, warm day to me. There's no snow on the decks.

No, the biggest problem I see in that photo is all the timber on the weather decks. Timber should be below, out of the UV and away from the salt water. The only reason for having timber on weather decks is to keep other people gainfully employed doing the maintenance.

FKT

Well, maybe the timber on the weather decks is there so it can be burned for warmth

- DSK

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

I appreciate the romantic candle-lit binnacle, though

I appreciate the comely hippy chick curled up in the cockpit of a wooden boat in a secure and beautiful cove with nothing to do but read a book when not otherwise disposed.

Clearly, Alden was a master of concept and perhaps conception.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Willin' said:

I appreciate the comely hippy chick curled up in the cockpit of a wooden boat in a secure and beautiful cove with nothing to do but read a book when not otherwise disposed.

Clearly, Alden was a master of concept and perhaps conception.

 

There are ways of preventing that now.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Years ago.............about early 1980's, I think.

I was in Opua, Bay of Islands NZ and watched an 18 foot Trailerable  yacht being cleared by NZ Customs/Immigration.

The young fellow onboard had sailed solo all the way from the UK in it.

He had removed the companion way prior to leaving and the only access inside was through the watertight hatch on top.

The hatch was in the center, in line with the mast so he said you had to look up and grab hold of the boom before coming out.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/24/2021 at 5:41 AM, RobbieP said:

The hatch was in the center, in line with the mast so he said you had to look up and grab hold of the boom before coming out.

I didn’t know they made Swans that small. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, 10thTonner said:

I didn’t know they made Swans that small. 

Is the Swan a Make of boat......? If so I don't know it.

I can't remember what make the boat was but it was a trailersailer with lifting centerboard.

He told me it had taken him 4 years to reach NZ and the centerboard was a huge benefit.

He said he had beached at high tides at 3 or 4 Islands on the trip to scrub and re-anti foul along the way.

Probably wouldn't be allowed to do that today.

Relaunch on the next high tide and on your way. Had even survived a few storms by doing that too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TwoLegged said:

They are winding you up. Robbie.

Swan is a brand of cigarette paper, often used for um, non-tobacco smoking

Sorry....I didn't catch that.

I thought he was referring to the Swan brand of boats as per the attached link.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats-for-sale/make-nautor-swan/model-53/

I said I didn't know the Swan brand ONLY because I didn't think they made Trailersailers.

This was back in the early 1980's....1983 if I recall correctly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, RobbieP said:

Is the Swan a Make of boat......? If so I don't know it.

I can't remember what make the boat was but it was a trailersailer with lifting centerboard.

He told me it had taken him 4 years to reach NZ and the centerboard was a huge benefit.

He said he had beached at high tides at 3 or 4 Islands on the trip to scrub and re-anti foul along the way.

Probably wouldn't be allowed to do that today.

Relaunch on the next high tide and on your way. Had even survived a few storms by doing that too.

Swan is a make of boat. Many or most or all of them have or used to have companionway hatches like you describe, so that is the joke. They were very well regarded boats. What you might call a rich person's yacht.

I don't think anyone is making a joke about swan papers (which I didn't know about either).

Here is a yachtworld listing for an older swan with a hatch in the deck under the boom to be used as a companionway.

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1980-nautor-swan-371-7857121/

Link to post
Share on other sites

Years ago before I bought my current ride one of the boats on the list was the Wauquiez Hood 38.   The original version had a "Swan" style companionway, and the Mark II had a conventional companionway.    The Mark II usually listed for 25-30% more than the Mark I.   The Mark I did have a nicer below decks layout but it seems that for most people it wasn't enough to compensate for the companionway.    For those who either didn't mind or like the "Swan" style companionway the Mark I was a real bargain.

Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s what I meant. I sailed on an old swan once and the one thing I absolutely hated about it was the huge bridge deck and the hole on top of the cabin they called a companionway. Back in their time it was marketed as a safety item because incoming waves could not flood the interior (pinched transoms etc). Well, *I* found it incredibly unsafe because I had to walk all over that HIGH bridgedeck without anything to grab in a seaway and then dive into that pit - not always feet first… 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 10thTonner said:

That’s what I meant. I sailed on an old swan once and the one thing I absolutely hated about it was the huge bridge deck and the hole on top of the cabin they called a companionway. Back in their time it was marketed as a safety item because incoming waves could not flood the interior (pinched transoms etc). Well, *I* found it incredibly unsafe because I had to walk all over that HIGH bridgedeck without anything to grab in a seaway and then dive into that pit - not always feet first… 

That dangerously exposed high bridgedeck as path to companionway was marketed as a safety feature ... but as far as I can see its real purpose was to allow the installation of a big bonkbed for the owner without loss of headroom in the cabin' standing area.  Once sterns got wider and more voluminous, headroom beside the bonkbed could be achieved without the raised bridgedeck, so that feature vanished.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, mckenzie.keith said:

Swan is a make of boat. Many or most or all of them have or used to have companionway hatches like you describe, so that is the joke. They were very well regarded boats. What you might call a rich person's yacht.

I don't think anyone is making a joke about swan papers (which I didn't know about either).

Here is a yachtworld listing for an older swan with a hatch in the deck under the boom to be used as a companionway.

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1980-nautor-swan-371-7857121/

This was definately not a rich mans yacht. You could see that the original companionway had been filled in by the young fellow sailing it. The watertight hatch was also quite obviously not original but had been fitted by the owner.

The boat looked ok but definately needed a refit as you would expect a trailersailer to need after a 4 year trans oceanic trip from the UK to NZ.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RobbieP said:

This was definately not a rich mans yacht. You could see that the original companionway had been filled in by the young fellow sailing it. The watertight hatch was also quite obviously not original but had been fitted by the owner.

The boat looked ok but definately needed a refit as you would expect a trailersailer to need after a 4 year trans oceanic trip from the UK to NZ.

Yes. That is the joke. "I didn't know Aston Martin made an economy hatchback" or something of that nature.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...