What kind of anchor?

27 minutes ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

This was on the pointy end of the boat I just bought. Looks too small and appears never to have been used, but what kind of anchor is it? Thanks.

It's an invisible anchor.

Very rare, very valuable.  Guard it carefully.

1 minute ago, TwoLegged said:

It's an invisible anchor.

Very rare, very valuable.  Guard it carefully.

That was my guess.

Looks like a 0.00lb./0.00kg. Model.

I recommend using lots chain with these anchors.

Steve

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Panope said:

Looks like a 0.00lb./0.00kg. Model.

I recommend using lots chain with these anchors.

since the rode will cause some non-zero drag, this gives a holding-power-to-weight ration of infinity.

Steve, your testing series is over.  We have the ultimate anchor.

• Like 4
46 minutes ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

This was on the pointy end of the boat I just bought. Looks too small and appears never to have been used, but what kind of anchor is it? Thanks.

Yah 

To save money and reduce weight in the bow many owners choose to eliminate the ground tackle and simple use the keel as an anchor 

1 hour ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

Thanks, are they any good? It looks unimpressive on the roller..

Pretty good anchor.

Good holding in the more firm muds and sands.  

Low holding in softer mud.

Reliable resets (does not tend to mud foul), but I did bend the shank of a Stainless Steel model during a reset in Sandy Mud (no rock).

Disclaimer: All tests conducted in the PNW.  Other parts of the world may have seabeds with completely different properties/results.

Steve 

18 minutes ago, Panope said:

Pretty good anchor.

Good holding in the more firm muds and sands.  

Low holding in softer mud.

Reliable resets (does not tend to mud foul), but I did bend the shank of a Stainless Steel model during a reset in Sandy Mud (no rock).

Disclaimer: All tests conducted in the PNW.  Other parts of the world may have seabeds with completely different properties/results.

Steve 

Is that a Delta copy?  (Kingston also makes a ”Danforth”.)

The whole concept of a plow anchor always seemed questionable to me.

I don't want to dig a furrow, I want it to dig in.

A shovel shape always seemed more logical to me.

Apparently others thinks so as well.

Home - Rocna Anchors

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Is that a Delta copy?  (Kingston also makes a ”Danforth”.)

Although the general arrangement is similar to a Delta, by my definition of "copy anchor", this is not a "Delta Copy".

Note that the Delta fluke is faceted with sharp creases, whereas the Quickset fluke is shaped with gentle curves (not unlike a CQR).

Steve

1 hour ago, The great unwashed said:

Anything’s better than a CQR.

I’m now going into hiding until the inevitable storm blows over.

No idea why forum-world hates CQRs. I’ve lived aboard for a cumulative 14 years, most of it on anchor, and as a SWAG about 70% on CQRs. During one 1.5 year 20,000 mile cruise from England to Russia to NZ we dragged the CQR exactly once - in Sweden, with thin loose sand over rock. Just sayin…..

Just now, CapDave said:

No idea why forum-world hates CQRs. I’ve lived aboard for a cumulative 14 years, most of it on anchor, and as a SWAG about 70% on CQRs. During one 1.5 year 20,000 mile cruise from England to Russia to NZ we dragged the CQR exactly once - in Sweden, with thin loose sand over rock. Just sayin…..

I’ve used CQR and Bruce anchors for decades 

Good anchors …no complaints

Just now, CapDave said:

Yup. I had a lot of love for my CQR and my copy-cat Kingston Plow (until the later left my boat high & dry after a hurricane but, to be fair, our friend's Rocna didn't do any better - they just got luckier where they landed).

There's a few spots on the NYS Barge Canal here where I could motor on up to a sunken tow path wall (3' draft on my boat), drop that contraption over the side into 6" of water or so, and it would likely catch and hold. It'd be a bit of a trick to find somewhere I could do that without the current/wind swinging me into the rest of the wall, though. Anything deeper's likely covered with mud. 

On 10/21/2021 at 7:21 PM, slug zitski said:

Amen

25 minutes ago, gn4478 said:
On 10/21/2021 at 7:21 PM, slug zitski said:

Amen

Lotta love for the Bruce, but the CQR has a tendency to lay on it's side and not dig in or not reset. Useless in gravel or hard sand, whereas the Bruce will always have at least one tip trying to dig in.

Back in the days when my wife and I were cruising, our dog came with us. So we liked to anchor near islands to take him ashore. One time on the Tennessee River, we pulled into a snug little cut behind an island, and I had the devil of a time getting anchored. My two main anchors were a CQR and a Bulwagga, neither would get any kind of grip or bite at all. In fact, I unshackled the CQR that afternoon and never put it back on the rode. Our little lunchhook Bruce dug in enough to hold us in place against the very slight current, and that's how we stayed for the night.

About two weeks later, we were staying at a town some miles upriver, and took a ride with a friend down that same area we'd anchored in. The water level had dropped and I saw... actually we walked over... the muddy draw we'd anchored in. It was a paved road. The Bruce had apparently chipped the old blacktop and dug into a tiny crack.

BTW the dog loved revisiting "his" island.

FB- Doug