Youth racing in Tennessee

Harbor Island YC, also in Nashville on Old Hickory Lake (spitting distance of Percy Priest lake / Percy Priest YC) had (still does?) an active Laser fleet. HIYC also had a very active Frostbite schedule for a good part of the winter months - racing on the harbor. 

There are (were) also sailing clubs in Knoxville, Chattanooga and Memphis areas.

I am not sure about specific youth racing now but when I was living / going to school (university) in that area (too many years ago :o) there was always a wide range of ages sailing in all Laser regattas. At the time there were some really good sailers in other classes (Lightning, Thistle, etc) that would also race Lasers. Very good competition.

• Like 1

I've been sailing in Tennessee twice despite living 20 min from the eastern border most of my life. One was big regional opti regatta on a lake near chattanooga, the other was a college regatta on a river somewhere around nasheville. The McLaughlin Opti factory is in Chattanooga fwiw.

• Like 1
On 10/25/2021 at 8:14 AM, WillyT123 said:

I've been sailing in Tennessee twice despite living 20 min from the eastern border most of my life. One was big regional opti regatta on a lake near chattanooga, the other was a college regatta on a river somewhere around nasheville. The McLaughlin Opti factory is in Chattanooga fwiw.

@Admiral Hornblower you may want to call McLaughlin boats and ask them. Steve Sherman is a great guy (owner/past owner) or talk to Spencer. Ask them what the scene is. Or just email them at their customer service email and see if they get back to you. Steve is very nice guy and does a lot for the sailing community there.

• Like 2

^ this ^

Nobody gets involved in a sailing-related business because the think it's an easy way to get rich

I know a bunch of colleges along the Tennessee River have sailing teams, there must be a fair number of high schools too

FB- Doug

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...