2021 Sydney to Hobart

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

MAYDAY MAYDAY MAYDAY This is SPORTSMANSHIP SPORTSMANSHIP SPORTSMANSHIP MAYDAY SPORTSMANSHIP Our position is untenable We are beaten, battered, holed and sinking We are abandon

A good point. After every on-deck action, at every watch change, and in any case at every hour, I as watch captain (and this was the boat's standard practice) would call "Count off". My watch members

Posted Images

At this time? Black Jack, since there are only two 100 footers entered right now, and Black Jack consistently performs better than Scallywag seems to. 

Not sure when the entry deadline is, but currently Wild Oats XI, Comanche, Rambler 88, CQS and InfoTrack haven't entered. So... I guess wait and see?

3 hours ago, JM1366 said:

At this time? Black Jack, since there are only two 100 footers entered right now, and Black Jack consistently performs better than Scallywag seems to. 

Not sure when the entry deadline is, but currently Wild Oats XI, Comanche, Rambler 88, CQS and InfoTrack haven't entered. So... I guess wait and see?

Infotrack is entered, not called infotrack anymore though, only named under her sail no, SYD1000.

I imagine that WOXI might enter late, I think channel 7 would be pushing pretty heavily for them to be out there if they're doing the broadcast.

Rambler and Comanche are too hard to get to Aus given the state of things, and I haven't heard of anything from CQS in years...

Entries close on the 29th of October, so not long now!

13 hours ago, nogetwe said:

I saw (the ex) CQS in North Italy this summer. On the hard, but looking good.

Looking good????

Are you sure it was CQS?

• Like 5
On 10/26/2021 at 6:07 PM, Fintho said:

Infotrack is entered, not called infotrack anymore though, only named under her sail no, SYD1000.

I imagine that WOXI might enter late, I think channel 7 would be pushing pretty heavily for them to be out there if they're doing the broadcast.

Rambler and Comanche are too hard to get to Aus given the state of things, and I haven't heard of anything from CQS in years...

Entries close on the 29th of October, so not long now!

Now called Law Connect, with a bigger bowsprit coming

CC9EFE97-A3FB-4721-80D0-9DB0C3AAADD1.jpeg

• Like 2

What 12 nonths? The rest of the world has moved on -AUS and NZL not so much.

Noted above re the fast boats. But with TH it has brought a number of low raters and cruiser / racers out of the woodwork. Possibly the easy races of recent years too. Where are the Cookson 39s / Fast 40s and TP52s/ fast 50s?

2 hours ago, Jason AUS said:

The front fell off?

Renamed or Painting. Strengthening the bow. I’d hope the bow didn’t disintegrate 

Good line up of 2 handed.

I hope they get their own handicaps line honors etc divisions seeing as they are not allowed to compete for the overall trophy.

After the success of Sunrise in the premier world ocean races the Fastnet and Middle Sea they might have to ban JPK boats as well.

Not sure I would like to go to Hobart in a Elliott 9.6 though, long way if it is a Southerly

• Like 1

It’s been a while since I have had a re read of Rob Mundle’s great tome ‘Fatal Storm’’ but I seem to remember a Northshore 38 playing a active role in the rescue process.The name Siena seems to ring a bell but I don’t have access to my copy at the moment to confirm.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Jethrow said:

Not sure a Northshore 38 is really a sea boat either? I've only sailed them 3 hours at a time... ^_^

We were in both the 98 and 99 races with our Northshore 38 and even have 3rd place pickle dish to prove it for the '99. Also did a number of Bass Strait short handed races in the Three peaks.

Here we are going down the NSW south coast in the '98....

1966779375_42South.jpg.0faeffccaa9f5974050d905897705305.jpg

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Jason AUS said:

While we’re here, what’s the forecast?

Calling it now, the supermaxies sail into a hole, and get caught up by the 40 footer fleet, which leads to a 40 footer winning overall. 

Rags 90 looking astoundingly white… and a somewhat nostalgic moment as I think my first post on SA was a similar pic of this boat on the same body of water as it was first sea trialling as Genuine Risk. 

not on the entry list yet.. so excuse the thread creep and the shitty iphone zoom res

60042617-97D3-41AF-883A-8DB3D22D4AA9.thumb.jpeg.955b498efd98da42e19c506fd5c10dbc.jpeg

7 hours ago, point said:

Rags 90 looking astoundingly white… and a somewhat nostalgic moment as I think my first post on SA was a similar pic of this boat on the same body of water as it was first sea trialling as Genuine Risk. 

not on the entry list yet.. so excuse the thread creep and the shitty iphone zoom res

60042617-97D3-41AF-883A-8DB3D22D4AA9.thumb.jpeg.955b498efd98da42e19c506fd5c10dbc.jpeg

https://www.genuineracing.com.au/

112 boats entered for 2021 Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race

The stage is set for the return of the Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race, with a fleet of 112 boats confirmed for the 2021 edition of the prestigious race.

Among them is Matt Allen’s Botin 52 Ichi Ban, the 2017 and 2019 winner of the Tattersall Cup, which honours the overall winner on handicap. 

Three super maxis are tipped to battle for the John H Illingworth Challenge Cup as line honours winner, with Peter Harburg’s RP100 Black Jack, Seng Huang Lee’s Dovell 100 SHK Scallywag and Christian Beck’s Juan-K 100 which will soon be rebranded (formerly Infotrack and winner of line honours in 2016 as Perpetual Loyal) part of the line-up.

The introduction of shorthanded racing for the 2021 race has proved popular as 24 crews of two look to be crowned as the inaugural winner of the Two-Handed Division.

Noel Cornish AM, Commodore of race organiser Cruising Yacht Club of Australia, said: "We are delighted to see such a strong fleet entered for the 2021 Rolex Sydney Hobart.

"I commend competitors and race supporters for their cooperation and support, which will ensure we can run a COVIDSafe race.

"The Rolex Sydney Hobart is a hallmark of the Summer sporting calendar in Australia. 

"The CYCA is in ongoing discussions with the NSW and Tasmanian Governments, and will comply with any COVID-19 restrictions put in place for the safety of competitors and spectators.

"I would especially like to thank Race Sponsor, Rolex, and Race Finishing Partner, the Royal Yacht Club of Tasmania, for their unwavering support."

VIEW THE 2021 FLEET

So no last minute WOIX entry

16 hours ago, Fintho said:

Calling it now, the supermaxies sail into a hole, and get caught up by the 40 footer fleet, which leads to a 40 footer winning overall. 

Only to find out that the alternative finish line was at Sydney heads and while most of the fleet finished and were scored at the Derwent as it turns out the corrected time at the heads leads to a glorious line/IRC double for undoubtedly the most deserving winner of a stolen Jewish gold timepiece…. Any objections to the script? You could request redress? Haha! Yeah right peasent. Get the fuck back in your box.

1 hour ago, splash said:

Only to find out that the alternative finish line was at Sydney heads and while most of the fleet finished and were scored at the Derwent as it turns out the corrected time at the heads leads to a glorious line/IRC double for undoubtedly the most deserving winner of a stolen Jewish gold timepiece…. Any objections to the script? You could request redress? Haha! Yeah right peasent. Get the fuck back in your box.

And the boats that went for shelter in Eden for a couple of days during the storm have been given redress of 36 hours off their finish time which has elevated them on to the podium.

Where do they get these Juries that make nonsensical decisions.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

Considering that boat finished the Middle Sea race less than a week ago its no surprise. 

15 minutes ago, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

Considering that boat finished the Middle Sea race less than a week ago its no surprise. 

Really? Did they paint her red and call her Comanche.........

6 hours ago, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

Oats 10 (X) is the 66 which is still in Sydney, Wild Joe is the old Oats 9 (IX) which is for sale...

ah shit, I got confused between 60 and 66 foot. Apologies 

36 minutes ago, paps49 said:

Anyone in the know able to shed any light on WOXI being missing in action? Is she just a Hammo boat now?

It’s been suggested that as the resort was shuttered due to Covid and a large number of staff were stood down or let go that campaigning the maxi with it's paid crew would have been insensitive.

It has also been suggested that after finishing 3rd in 2019’s Hobart race that throwing more money at the program would not have been a wise investment, with Richo concentrating on running Grand Banks and Iain Murray concentrating on the Tokyo olympics.

But these are just suggestions. For the actual truth please consult your local Grand High Wizard, Mage, Demi God, Demon or Federal Member of Parliament.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Jason AUS said:

Demon or Federal Member of Parliament.

There's a difference?

I wonder if there will be a WO 12 in the near future to rival the new boats, or does no bob mean no more Wild Oats? We have to remember that no matter how many mods get done, the boat is still 16 years old... 

2 hours ago, Jason AUS said:

It’s been suggested that as the resort was shuttered due to Covid and a large number of staff were stood down or let go that campaigning the maxi with it's paid crew would have been insensitive.

It has also been suggested that after finishing 3rd in 2019’s Hobart race that throwing more money at the program would not have been a wise investment, with Richo concentrating on running Grand Banks and Iain Murray concentrating on the Tokyo olympics.

But these are just suggestions. For the actual truth please consult your local Grand High Wizard, Mage, Demi God, Demon or Federal Member of Parliament.

Jason,

You forgot to add Rob "Bumbles" Mundle to ask about Wild Oats

Pulpit

2 hours ago, pulpit said:

Jason,

You forgot to add Rob "Bumbles" Mundle to ask about Wild Oats

Pulpit

I’ll block out a whole day in my calendar…. There’s no such thing as a simple answer with that man.

• Like 5
On 10/28/2021 at 4:51 PM, Jethrow said:

Not sure a Northshore 38 is really a sea boat either? I've only sailed them 3 hours at a time... ^_^

Nips N Tux (NSX version) did pretty well in her day.  A Northshore 38 isn't going to break any records now but it will do ok against half that list and having been designed as a cruiser doesn't need 6 people on the rail to go to windward.

4 hours ago, SCARECROW said:

Nips N Tux (NSX version) did pretty well in her day.  A Northshore 38 isn't going to break any records now but it will do ok against half that list and having been designed as a cruiser doesn't need 6 people on the rail to go to windward.

Still have a photo of her in 96 or 7 (don't remember which it was).  going to windward somewhere down the NSW coast morning of day 2 (I think),  spray coming off the bow is getting blown back hard past the boat with a flat top to the spray just below the numbers on the main.  From memory we only had an average result,  but came home with a great photo,  nearly as good!

And yes she was a nice little boat to handle at sea & reasonably comfy for the deliveries,  but was quite a different boat to the standard NS38 with lower topsides, a bigger cockpit, different keel, rudder & rig.

5 minutes ago, TUBBY said:

Still have a photo of her in 96 or 7 (don't remember which it was).  going to windward somewhere down the NSW coast morning of day 2 (I think),  spray coming off the bow is getting blown back hard past the boat with a flat top to the spray just below the numbers on the main.  From memory we only had an average result,  but came home with a great photo,  nearly as good!

And yes she was a nice little boat to handle at sea & reasonably comfy for the deliveries,  but was quite a different boat to the standard NS38 with lower topsides, a bigger cockpit, different keel, rudder & rig.

If it is the photo I'm thinking of, it was just after putting in the reef at the end of day 1 in 1996.  Very average result that year (about 30th) but then as a crew I think we all turned off a bit after rounding Tasman island and coming into a 5 not tight reach in storm bay.

On 11/4/2021 at 2:09 PM, Flippin Out said:

Apparently this was on the front page........whatever that is ?? 

LawConnect's (ex Infotrack) new prodder. It's fucking huge, looks like it's longer than half the fleet entries.

big-swingin-dick.jpg

Yeah this was posted in another thread it's huge and should give Law Connect another advantage when it comes to moving her form factor vs the skinny boats. She ain't as fat as the Indian but she's next best. 

On 11/12/2021 at 10:54 AM, Bill E Goat said:

40 boats for Bird Island, 25 westerly gusting 35, will the 6 hour race record be broken ?

Whos doing it

Smashed - son finished in just over 5 hours and the video showed someone in front of them!

On 10/22/2021 at 7:03 AM, Fintho said:

Tasmania's premier announces open borders for vaccinated people from 15th of December onwards, so it looks like it'll be going ahead.

Who are your bets on? Entrants below:

https://rolexsydneyhobart.com/the-yachts/

If allowed Scorpion 125 ft will win.
But they stick to the 100 ft rule as a maximum I believe.

100 footers this year so far registered:
black-jack-525100.jpg.9724870e0527d5a8c3d29a6ba0190a13.jpg
Black Jack
scallywag.jpeg.743a9e012b54939930714af3b8d31b9b.jpeg
Scallywag
syd1000.jpg.f25e8e1ea5db2ddb0c9c55591919a1e0.jpg
Syd1000

Should be somewhere in the thread why Comanche didn't subscribe yet.

I was in a heavy project so I didn't had time for this.
I am catching up. What happened to Comanche?

13 hours ago, DtM said:

Racing in Europe.

I found her:
Comanche.thumb.PNG.f9fdd1e4e17f86ac86d622472f49104e.PNG

But that race ended the 30th of october.
She is way faster then a vor 65 so she has enough time to return to Sydney, IMHO?

2 hours ago, Schakel said:

I found her:
Comanche.thumb.PNG.f9fdd1e4e17f86ac86d622472f49104e.PNG

But that race ended the 30th of october.
She is way faster then a vor 65 so she has enough time to return to Sydney, IMHO?

"return" - she is no longer Aussie owned.  

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Jono said:

Comanche is entered for the Atlantic race in early January so I assume will do the 600 and regatta circuit.

https://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2021/10/05/rorc-caribbean-600-is-back-in-action/

2 hours ago, jackolantern said:

Saw a post of WOX (the 66) out sailing. Chance they’re going south? Would be an automatic contender for handicap honors. 

WOX is out sailing most Wednesdays on Pittwater (north of Sydney), so she is still active.

S2H, maybe not so much...

1 hour ago, Wildboats said:

Oats X not going south unfortunately - there was a whisper she might but they didn't register - shame because she still kicks ass

BTW new rig arrived in Sydney for BlackJack 100 

hopefully its bigger!

45 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

Taller mast on their 70 didn’t help them. 

not sure this will either but their rig is a bit shorter then WOXI and they get smoked in some breeze. may be the grand fathered Keel.