2021 Sydney to Hobart

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

MAYDAY MAYDAY MAYDAY This is SPORTSMANSHIP SPORTSMANSHIP SPORTSMANSHIP MAYDAY SPORTSMANSHIP Our position is untenable We are beaten, battered, holed and sinking We are abandon

A good point. After every on-deck action, at every watch change, and in any case at every hour, I as watch captain (and this was the boat's standard practice) would call "Count off". My watch members

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, Matagi said:

Congrats, BJ

Taken from the FB feed, because godforbid CYCA would put up anything legit on the one website one hour after BJ crossed the line. Just - laughable, really.

image.thumb.png.156e7b4f0565ffa91a66e48f71c80362.png

You might say that again, Line honours.
Battle for second still going on but Law Connect almost certainly a second position, Not bad, not bad at all.

Scallywag has same boat speed knots as Law Connect 9 knots.
LC is  9 nautical miles from the finish.  In 1 hour we know for sure. DTF Scallywag 11,7 nM.
65407693_finishs2H.png.d22e1c1ab824b89056f6a33862c9af56.png

One hour later, all aussie members of SA a sound a-sleep 5 O'clock in the morning over there.
Wind has dropped and Law Connect still not finished.
No chance in my opinion Scallywag will come in second.
736303286_LawConnectfinishS2H.png.3bd5611538d85d58c8246059de852e48.png

18 minutes ago, Mr Bo_Tangles said:

Re spare main, we had the delivery main on Brinders in 2008 that ended up being used from roughly abeam Mariah Island.

I know things can change, but this ETA for the Army boys is a more reasonable call for 'time constraints' ;)

Nice guys but are they able to win a war. Hope so.
1533938127_Gunrunner.thumb.jpg.f7cd1b546593396cb981f9c1dff2b8f5.jpg
Over here a upcoming war with Russia in the Oekraine, which is a backwarded country.
It is  set be battlefield for Russians who pull down airline carriers and want to test their jet fighter fleet mostly Sukhoi's. Will be a rocket war in my opinion.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sukhoi_aircraft

GR Standing.png

1 hour ago, Mr Bo_Tangles said:

Re spare main, we had the delivery main on Brinders in 2008 that ended up being used from roughly abeam Mariah Island.

I know things can change, but this ETA for the Army boys is a more reasonable call for 'time constraints' ;)

GR Standing.png

They are only 150 miles behind most the double handers, so reality is an extra day out. 

Somehow I think the wind will fill in before mid January...

1 hour ago, Foreverslow said:

They are only 150 miles behind most the double handers, so reality is an extra day out. 

Somehow I think the wind will fill in before mid January...

The top three 100 footers all arived without major accidents well done.
1. Black jack.
2. Law Connect.
3 Scallywag.

Battle for fourth, and first in their class Orc 0
Stephan Racing Botin 80 against Whisper, Judel and Vrolijk 62  and first  in rating:
Ichi Ban TP 52.
1282091451_IchiBan.jpg.71ff81d0a5326e737928d889e8cc3b30.jpg
1600731127_StefanRacing.thumb.jpg.804b1b582b79877524badbde54f29add.jpg
1936343838_WhisperTP52.jpg.6e06d9199dbf4ed39c1cff1dd0077599.jpg

Not Bad, not bad at all.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Recidivist said:

I thought we were interested in encouraging new players into our sport. 

I know of cases where a keen sailor invites someone out for a twilight sail - the invitee loves it, has enough cash to buy a boat but has no idea what to buy. The original invitor introduces the newbie to a pro who the invitor knows.  The pro works with the newbie to establish what sort of boat would suit him best, and guides the newbie through the purchasing process,  

The newbie loves his new boat and the pro sails on the twilights to help the newbie learn.  The newbie gets the competitive urge and decides to upgrade to a racing yacht.  The pro assists in the sale of the learning yacht, and the purchase of a suitable racing yacht.  The pro then ensures the yacht is in proper condition for racing and accompanies the new racing skipper on his learning experience, possibly brining a couple of other pros along as well at the beginning.

Question - why is the pro seen as a greedy cunt in all of this?  Oh, and btw, do you have any idea what the average time for payment is of an invoice in this industry?

In the yacht racing industry in Australia, the ones being screwed most often are the people trying to earn a living as professional sailors, and the ones doing the screwing are most often those standing on the podium, or aspiring to.

Question- Why would a pro encourage a newbie owner to race PHS in the biggest race in the country? BTW I never said anything about PRO's being greedy and in regard to payment, personally not only my average time for payment but my nonnegotiable condition is that my invoice is paid in full before I step on a boat. If the owner disagrees then he probably has no intention of paying at all. Slow payment effectively means you are lending some rich cunt money.

Some PRO's are like some Architects - absolutely brilliant at their job but shithouse at business.

But back to the topic - Well sailed BJ!

• Like 1

This just in on the Scallwag FB page. 'To the Scallywags the boss SH, team behind the scenes and all your many thousands of supporters around the world are super proud of you!'

Many thousands of supporters around the world? Who the fuck do they think they are? A F1 team? Only the England cricket team still have supporters when they get owned. Super proud of what? Coming last out of 3?

35 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

This just in on the Scallwag FB page. 'To the Scallywags the boss SH, team behind the scenes and all your many thousands of supporters around the world are super proud of you!'

Many thousands of supporters around the world? Who the fuck do they think they are? A F1 team? Only the England cricket team still have supporters when they get owned. Super proud of what? Coming last out of 3?

Fans? Sounds like you’re one of them.

BA21F054-0263-41E3-8768-3B8EE49CE262.jpeg

8D9CDEBB-463F-465E-9A4E-5A259B5A9E78.jpeg

29 minutes ago, jackolantern said:

Absolutely cracker offshore boats. One did very well in Transpac if I remember correctly. 

Smuggler used to be a Rodgers 46. Would be ironic if they lost the Tatts to one. 

Two different Rogers 46 had division wins, one with a 3rd overall in Transpac '17 and '21.

Ironic indeed!

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Matagi said:

Congrats, BJ

Taken from the FB feed, because godforbid CYCA would put up anything legit on the one website one hour after BJ crossed the line. Just - laughable, really.

image.thumb.png.156e7b4f0565ffa91a66e48f71c80362.png

It was streamed live on the CYCA TV Youtube channel...

1 hour ago, BR3232 said:

Fans? Sounds like you’re one of them.

BA21F054-0263-41E3-8768-3B8EE49CE262.jpeg

8D9CDEBB-463F-465E-9A4E-5A259B5A9E78.jpeg

Hardly cupcake. It was simply shared by someone I know. I will leave the wannabe fanboy shit to snowflakes like you. Maybe you should switch your man love to a program that actually wins occasionally.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Question- Why would a pro encourage a newbie owner to race PHS in the biggest race in the country? BTW I never said anything about PRO's being greedy...

Yeah, sorry LB - that little rant wasn't directed at you, it was just that your post provided a convenient quote to anchor it.  I get annoyed by all the hate for pros from people who know fuck all about the industry. 

All good, cheers.

• Like 2

I agree. One of the understated Pros is Kevin Kossie Costin who as Squark said along with Alex & Juan Vila did a flawless job. With input from Juan before the race, Alex as Nav and Kos as  strategist  from the first port tack off Jarvis Bay was fantastic to see. 

Kos and all,very well done, you are professionals in every sense of the word. Yes I am an unashamed fan boy of Kos, he is very generous with his time and  patience with Club hackers like me and young foilers etc.

Great job Kos! 

Cheers

Grogo

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Schakel said:

The top three 100 footers all arived without major accidents well done.
1. Black jack.
2. Law Connect.
3 Scallywag.

Battle for fourth, and first in their class Orc 0
Stephan Racing Botin 80 against Whisper, Judel and Vrolijk 62  and first  in rating:
Ichi Ban TP 52.
1282091451_IchiBan.jpg.71ff81d0a5326e737928d889e8cc3b30.jpg
1600731127_StefanRacing.thumb.jpg.804b1b582b79877524badbde54f29add.jpg
1936343838_WhisperTP52.jpg.6e06d9199dbf4ed39c1cff1dd0077599.jpg

Not Bad, not bad at all.

Ichi Ban is not a TP52 for a start it's 60' long!!

Law Connect left Hobart at 1030 to return to Sydney. Anyone know if this was planned and is using a delivery crew or did someone not pass the compulsory rapid antigen test on arrival meaning that no one could get off the boat?

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, (p)Irate said:

Law Connect left Hobart at 1030 to return to Sydney. Anyone know if this was planned and is using a delivery crew or did someone not pass the compulsory rapid antigen test on arrival meaning that no one could get off the boat?

Interesting Track into and out of Hobart

image.png.a37c81b4b65a2e41a1b1438cb7cd5ad2.png

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, The Dark Knight said:

The one racing is the Boltin IRC52. The Carkeek 60 is in Sydney I guess

You might as well be lecturing a squirrel. Our resident “America’s Cup Engineer “ doesn’t realize that all 52’s weren’t built as TP52’s. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Fuk me, havent logged into this sewer for a while, just back in time to laugh my arse off at this!

3 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Hardly cupcake. It was simply shared by someone I know. I will leave the wannabe fanboy shit to snowflakes like you. Maybe you should switch your man love to a program that actually wins occasionally.

Fuk I've missed this place.:P

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, (p)Irate said:

That'll spread fast on the trip back.....Lash him to the mast just in case?

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Swimsailor said:

Stoked to see Maritimo up in 2nd!

I doubt it will last as they will have to contend with more headwinds and finishing in the early hours of the morning up the notorious Derwent.  My Pick is Ichi Ban or Celestial.

looks like Nic plans to head out...from her FB page:D

There are a few interesting battles happening on the Derwent at the moment, one is between Celestial and Ichi Ban, two TP52's who are within 0.3nm just past Tasman Island.
Before we head out to livestream the finishes of Stefan Hair, Whisper and then the potential IRC division battle between Celestial and Ichi Ban, here is an interview that Nic did with Celestial's Sam Haynes (owner/skipper) and David Chapman (strategist) ahead of the Great Race this year.
3 hours ago, (p)Irate said:

Nothing covid related they have a NYE function on board back in Sydney.

Are you people just really stupid or you can’t understand the tracker what the tracker/standings page is actually showing given the tracker is a complete pos.

FFS

So Bruce is 21 miles behind James (Mayfair) and Mayfair is 110 miles from the finish.

and not only will Bruce pass James, he will beat him too the finish by 6 hours in the last 120 miles

On IRC according to the standing, Bruce is 4th and James is 24th.

You see the problem.

They took the speed since start option away some years ago.

3 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

The one racing is the Boltin IRC52. The Carkeek 60 is in Sydney I guess

IB the Carkeek 60 was seen in parked its CYCA berth on 27/12.

IB the Botin 52 is designated as an IRC 52. Never was a TP.

3 minutes ago, SPORTSCAR said:

IB the Botin 52 is designated as an IRC 52. Never was a TP.

I doubt any of the Australian boats now measure as a TP52 after their various modifications.  IB the 52 would have measured as a PAC52 though.

3 hours ago, Monkey said:

You might as well be lecturing a squirrel. Our resident “America’s Cup Engineer “ doesn’t realize that all 52’s weren’t built as TP52’s. 

I recall encountering Paps before and was half thinking he might have been "special". 

2 minutes ago, paps49 said:

Just goes to show you can't rely on the entry list. Or anything else the CYC does actually.

only shows the 52. I vaguely recall that both Ichi's were originally entered, probably in the hope that the 60 would be chartered. 

3 minutes ago, The Dark Knight said:

only shows the 52. I vaguely recall that both Ichi's were originally entered, probably in the hope that the 60 would be chartered. 

Or did he enter both so that he could pick which boat to take depending on which had the best chance on handicap?

3 minutes ago, The Dark Knight said:

He enters both every year

• Like 1
1 minute ago, SPORTSCAR said:

Dilligaff what MA thinks? IRC52 is actually emblazoned on the aft deck of the boat.

and he did not notice that when trying to join the TP52 championship or whatever it was that they tried to organise.

Sounds like another good storyline for a "Downfall" video.

1 minute ago, SteveJH said:

Or did he enter both so that he could pick which boat to take depending on which had the best chance on handicap?

1 minute ago, Dark Cloud said:

He enters both every year

Maybe to remind everyone he has 2 boats?

Just now, TheUltimateSockPuppet said:

Does it every year and yes decides the day before which boat he’s taking. Must be nice to be allowed to do that.

Seems pointless doing that when he takes the 52 on record breaking and hard slog southerly years.

1 minute ago, TheUltimateSockPuppet said:

So long as Celestial hangs in close they’ll beat the Japanese Dog Fucker with worms which is all that really matters.

When you make comments like that, it makes me wonder where you are based and what boat you have. 

4 minutes ago, The Dark Knight said:

Seems pointless doing that when he takes the 52 on record breaking and hard slog southerly years.

Did he have two boats when he had the Volvo 70?

Probably made more sense when it was an 18 foot size difference rather then 8 foot.

9 minutes ago, TheUltimateSockPuppet said:

So long as Celestial hangs in close they’ll beat the Japanese Dog Fucker with worms which is all that really matters.

Looks like they will, IB owes them about 20mins.

3 minutes ago, SteveJH said:

Did he have two boats when he had the Volvo 70?

Probably made more sense when it was an 18 foot size difference rather then 8 foot.

<opinion> He got the 60 built and found it didn't rate as well as he may have liked - the 52 rates better it would seem. </opinion>

1 minute ago, Dark Cloud said:

Probably, if they care about the Tatts

I guess if you are going to sail the same hard slog race as the full crewed boats, you'd like to think you will also get the same recognition. 

I'm definitely not entering the S2H 2H division out of protest. If they allow 2H to compete for the Tatts, then I'll find another excuse.

7 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Holy shit you’re so old and confused :lol: