2021 Sydney to Hobart

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

MAYDAY MAYDAY MAYDAY This is SPORTSMANSHIP SPORTSMANSHIP SPORTSMANSHIP MAYDAY SPORTSMANSHIP Our position is untenable We are beaten, battered, holed and sinking We are abandon

A good point. After every on-deck action, at every watch change, and in any case at every hour, I as watch captain (and this was the boat's standard practice) would call "Count off". My watch members

Posted Images

The coverage here on SA have been better than anything i’ve see yet! I dont usually do interwebs and definatley not Facefook so Good onyou all for making it more exciting than usual so far and Awesome work for posting the windy tracker,Sched updates,AIS info and cameras.. Very cool.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, FixinGit said:

The coverage here on SA have been better than anything i’ve see yet! I dont usually do interwebs and definatley not Facefook so Good onyou all for making it more exciting than usual so far and Awesome work for posting the windy tracker,Sched updates,AIS info and cameras.. Very cool.

Follow Sailor Girl (Nic Douglass) for video footage and interviews - she’s excellent and a real sailor too.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, TheUltimateSockPuppet said:

Follow Sailor Girl (Nic Douglass) for video footage and interviews - she’s excellent and a real sailor too.

Yeah i just watch a shared link from here of the Botin80/Stefan finishing.. This is the kind of Person/Journalist AustralianSailing and CYCA/ channel whoever should be paying to do their sailing stuff(i know she does stuff for ABC etc too) but yeah. Awesome mic clarity and camera work at 17-21knts there and clearly enjoys it, not just turning up and going through the motions for the network mogul overlords.. Good on her and good on the people sharing her links with none Facefook users like me.

• Like 3
40 minutes ago, sfigone said:

I've heard some scuttlebutt about a protest from Matt Allen? Anybody got any details... or is it just scuttlebutt?

Apparently he’s protesting the fact that some of the two handed crews both used both hands at the same time = 4 hands!

• Like 9
1 minute ago, MickH said:

Ichi ban has water ballast now hence why they are in Div 0

Thanks for the heads up, was wrecking my brain how that boat could be shoe horned into Div 0.

8 minutes ago, Rotnest Express said:

Thanks for the lesson.Wealth of knowledge here.Learning all the time.

Don't know any of the players but why all the anti Ichi Ban sentiment?Tall poppy or something behind it?

https://www.smh.com.au/national/lawyers-on-deck-for-off-water-collision-in-sydney-hobart-20210603-p57xw4.html

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Rotnest Express said:

Don't know any of the players but why all the anti Ichi Ban sentiment?Tall poppy or something behind it?

National sports tribunal last Thursday trying to ban one of Australian most successful solo sailor from the sport for life might have something to do with

• Like 2
Just now, Livia said:

National sports tribunal last Thursday trying to ban one of Australian most successful solo sailor from the sport for life might have something to do with

Then there was the defamation proceedings forgot about that

7 minutes ago, Rotnest Express said:

20210605_150311.jpg

20210605_150319.jpg

20210605_150430.jpg

3 minutes ago, Rotnest Express said:

Rotnest,

It's not tall poppy at all. He's just a asshole that has to buy a crew to sail with him and has been one of the main pushers to stop the 2 handers from being equal in the race.

He's worried that skill sailors in a well prepared boat that costs far less than he spends in the lead up to the Hobart on his boat will beat him. 

Pulpit

• Like 5
11 minutes ago, Rotnest Express said:

And let’s not forget the stellar contribution by the arseholes at Australian Sailing

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, Livia said:

Then there was the defamation proceedings forgot about that

It was a shitload of overkill. As someone who knows MH and has sailed with him prior to his 2handed days, he is one of the nicest people you could meet. Quirky at times sense of humor, but still a genuinely good person.   

• Like 4
52 minutes ago, Livia said:

What was the decision?

Seems like the CYCA and Matt Allen are living 15 years in the past. Typical case of old rich man throwing his weight around in argument he knows nothing about. By his argument they should ban all nav software because the routing is being “calculated by a computer” but it’s become the norm and so will the 2H class in the future

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Skipper_nz said:

so you could have water ballast pumps, canting keels, hydro winches.... but no autopilot on your 2 handed boat right?

Don't forget the engine running to power it all... :(

• Like 1

https://www.rolexsydneyhobart.com/news/2021/day-4/protest-against-celestial/

Protest against Celestial

Wednesday 29 December 2021 - 2200 hours

The Cruising Yacht Club of Australia (CYCA), the organising authority for the Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race, has advised that two protests have been lodged against the yacht Celestial and will be heard before an International Jury in the Boardroom at the Royal Yacht Club of Tasmania and via Zoom at 4:00pm Thursday 30 December 2021.

The protests are:

1. Ichi Ban AUS 001 v Celestial 9535 (including Request for Redress)
  2. Race Committee v Celestial 9535

Both protests refer to Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race Sailing Instructions 31.4 which states: ‘All boats shall maintain a continuous listening watch on VHF Channel 16 for the duration of their race.’ 

The protest form posted at the Royal Yacht Club of Tasmania states:

--

1153 27 Dec 21 – 0130 28 Dec 21

(90-minute period when CELESTIAL was not able to be contacted via VHF CH16)

Protest by the RSHYR Committee that SI 31.4 “all boats shall maintain a continuous listening watch on CH16 for the duration of the race” was not complied with.

Despite numerous attempts to contact Celestial over a 90-minute period, via numerous means, when attention was ultimately alerted via flares, which fortunately confirmed that the AMSA alerted PLB activation was false, after 90 minutes AMSA was to deploy a Melbourne based SAR asset to the position of Celestial.

Of particular concern was the lack of response on CH16 (VHF) by Celestial throughout the incident.

It is expected that this incident will be fully highlighted and explained by Celestial in her Race Declaration, noting any notables and /or extraordinary reasons as to why SI 31.4 was not complied with.

The RSHYR Committee, through Hobart race control, will provide a full timeline and all appropriate evidence and transcripts. 

--

Hahaha!  How I long for the days when we sailed Hobarts to prove ourselves and gain the respect of our peers.

Congratulations to the likes of MA who are doing their best to totally trash those traditions.

Fuck you.

• Like 7

Well we really have to hope that either Azzurro or Love&War finish in time, else the result will be decided in the room and a lot of us will be at risk of getting sued for our comments about it!

• Like 5
29 minutes ago, MickH said:

If you can't buy a win and are beaten by a better boat on the water. 

Then lets put in a protest just to show you I'm a asshole and I'll stop at nothing to win.

This goes to show you that MA has no class and will stop at nothing to feel good about himself.

Pulpit 

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, sfigone said:

Well we really have to hope that either Azzurro or Love&War finish in time, else the result will be decided in the room and a lot of us will be at risk of getting sued for our comments about it!

Ha Ha ha.  Actually some good points.  The SS34 was a fine boat in it's day, but I owned a UFO 34 that was far superior.  I also raced against Love and War when she was newly launched.  L&W and Rags used to train together in Sydney Harbour and we would occasionally crash their training sessions, which was fun.  Both fucking fine boats though, and yes - it's good to see old, good boats do well. 

As to the getting sued bit - well that's what Sailing Anarchy is about, isn't it.  All just personal opinion (fingers  crossed)

I was thinking tonight before I read this crap that it must be very embarrassing for Noel Cornish to have to front up and toe the bullshit CYCA line. He used to be a well respected businessman - Bluescope I think.

You really have to think that MA should be charged with bullying under the same rules that he is going after MH.

What a cunt.

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, pulpit said:

If you can't buy a win and are beaten by a better boat on the water. 

Then lets put in a protest just to show you I'm a asshole and I'll stop at nothing to win.

This goes to show you that MA has no class and will stop at nothing to feel good about himself.

Pulpit 

But what is he winning?  There appears to be no way he can win overall, he probably has Div 0 stitched up anyway - what's the gain?  Celestial is in another division FFS.

Edit:  OK, now I see - there IS a chance of overall win, but he needs to knock out Celestial to get it.

Well, may the best cunt win!

Mmm - there is a difference between 'listening' and 'hearing'.

maybe there was a lot going on on Celestial that drowned out any voice reception or the volume had been knocked down.

However if a DSC distress alert had come it it would be hard to miss

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Recidivist said:

But what is he winning?  There appears to be no way he can win overall, he probably has Div 0 stitched up anyway - what's the gain?  Celestial is in another division FFS.

Mate,

At this time he is sitting 2nd in the clubhouse having finished and his clock has stopped and the other contenders are still over 150 miles + from the finish line. 

If the protest goes his way he's sitting 1st overall in the clubhouse with boats still at sea and the clock ticking 

For  the good of our sport lets hope the little boats come home strong and push him to 4th or even lower down the finishes list. 

Pulpit

• Like 4

Seriously, doing a Hobart used to be a thing that brought honour and respect.  I am saddened by the bullshit these days - the fuckwits throw shade over all the respectable competitors.  

I am enormously proud that I did the 25th race, and my son did the 75th (neither were our firsts, just milestones).  The current antics are an embarrassment. There are plenty of people to blame for this - fuck them all.

• Like 6

Would be interesting to see Ichi Ban’s GPS track around 0130 on December 28, but they’re gone from the tracker.

My guess is they’re seeking redress because they diverted from their course thinking Celestial had a MOB?

6 minutes ago, atnan said:

My guess is they’re seeking redress because they diverted from their course thinking Celestial had a MOB?

If that's what you want then you appeal to the RC based on some evidence of a course change to help find the casualty or render assistance. I suspect they don't have any (because they didn't) so can't put in that request.

7 minutes ago, atnan said:

Would be interesting to see Ichi Ban’s GPS track around 0130 on December 28, but they’re gone from the tracker.

Just checked backon the tracker and no significant course change is apparent

Attended a great Rules Night not so long ago.The superb lecturer kept reinforcing the importance of notifying the yacht you intended to protest at the first available opportunity.One of my fellow participants asked him did that also apply to the race committee as well.The response was an overwhelming ‘yes’.My uninformed reading of the protest form throws some doubt on wether that occurred.Would that be applicable in this instance?

30 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

Just checked backon the tracker and no significant course change is apparent

Thinking about it, that’s pretty poor seamanship if true. An MOB beacon is going off, you can’t raise them on the radio for 90 minutes, you are the closest vessel and you decide to continue racing as if nothing had happened?

• Like 5
54 minutes ago, atnan said:

Here are Ichi (purple), Celestial (white), tracks across Bass Strait.

You can still find the tracks on https://gis.ee/sh/#

Just highlight the boat in the list and the track will appear, you can do more than 1 boat at a time.

1627109436_CelestialIchibassstraighttracks..thumb.JPG.aa5a6851fc243514f0e4ad3e42c85998.JPG

1 hour ago, pulpit said:

Mate,

For  the good of our sport lets hope the little boats come home strong and push him to 4th or even lower down the finishes list. 

Pulpit

What's the forecast over the next 24 hours?  As of right now, Crux is in the overall lead on IRC.  Would be a hoot to see them beat Ichi on corrected, even if they wouldn't get the pickle dish for it.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, pulpit said:

Pulpit

Then one of the foiler IMOCAs enter the race and absolutely wreck him boat for boat. Can we start a gofundme to get Charlie or Clarisse to take their boats south next Christmas? :lol:

• Like 1

MAYDAY MAYDAY MAYDAY

This is SPORTSMANSHIP SPORTSMANSHIP SPORTSMANSHIP

MAYDAY SPORTSMANSHIP

Our position is untenable

We are beaten, battered, holed and sinking

We are abandoning the sport and are taking to golf, cycling and surfing

POB Many thousands of recreational sailors including children

It is too late for any assistance

Over

• Like 19
12 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

MAYDAY MAYDAY MAYDAY

MAYDAY SPORTSMANSHIP

Over

Thanks LB, that's exactly what I was thinking but couldn't find the right words.

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

MAYDAY MAYDAY MAYDAY

MAYDAY SPORTSMANSHIP

Over

Bravo Zulu

1 minute ago, shaggybaxter said:

Thanks LB, that's exactly what I was thinking but couldn't find the right words.

Morning mate - I meant to include 'Abandoning to Motorsports' as well. :) A belated merry Christmas to you and yours my friend.

1 minute ago, LB 15 said:

Morning mate - I meant to include 'Abandoning to Motorsports' as well. :) A belated merry Christmas to you and yours my friend.

Right back at you! Life is good, boots are on, the Duke is sitting in the driveway and it's a beautiful morning.

And no self serving evil fucks anywhere.

Can't quite put my finger on the change......   

• Like 2
36 minutes ago, shaggybaxter said:

And Tillett is the chairman of the jury!

Pretty clear what the outcome will be.

• Like 1

Imagine what will happen if this man will judge the  counter dog fight.
58d276861d0000f42c7cfc62.jpeg?ops=crop_1
On an another point of view, just design a better boat.

This is the new chief:
Ian Burnett, Baron Burnett of Maldon.
1892736292_IanBurnett.jpg.0042288fb2a6ec343a0dd5cb1e1477ce.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Burnett,_Baron_Burnett_of_Maldon

1 hour ago, LB 15 said:

MAYDAY MAYDAY MAYDAY

MAYDAY SPORTSMANSHIP

Over

After 28358 posts of  mainly dubious quality (to say the least) you've finally nailed one. Couldn't have come up with one that good and relevant myself ! Celestial is a gone banana as the forces of evil (money) rally against them. The  decision will have already been made in the back bar. Sadly this is replicated in many situations in the sailing world and spreads as fast as Covid.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Schakel said:

Imagine what will happen if this man will judge the  counter dog fight.
58d276861d0000f42c7cfc62.jpeg?ops=crop_1
On an another point of view, just design a better boat.

This is the new chief:
Ian Burnett, Baron Burnett of Maldon.
1892736292_IanBurnett.jpg.0042288fb2a6ec343a0dd5cb1e1477ce.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Burnett,_Baron_Burnett_of_Maldon

Just build a better boat.
That's the design contest.

In S2H 100 footers and every other custom designed class they know that.

Yesterday on the complaint of Matt Allen (Ichi Ban), Noel Cornish (CYCA Commodore), Brad Kellett (Navigator Law Connect), David Griffiths (Whisper), an Australian Sailing appointed panel banned Mark Hipgrave (OSTAR placegetter) from all and any Australian Sailing events for 18 months (last 6 suspended if good behaviour).

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Livia said:

Yesterday on the complaint of Matt Allen (Ichi Ban), Noel Cornish (CYCA Commodore), Brad Kellett (Navigator Law Connect), David Griffiths (Whisper), an Australian Sailing appointed panel banned Mark Hipgrave (OSTAR placegetter) from all and any Australian Sailing events for 18 months (last 6 suspended if good behaviour).

Over a joke. A fucking joke.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, Livia said:

Livia,

This is a sad day for Australian sailing and it just goes to show how corrupt our sport has become at the top level and our national body AS should and any employees that were involved should all face a rule 69 for bringing our sport into disrepute. 

Heads should roll at AS over this. The problem is life will go on like nothing has happened. 

Shame Australian Sailing Shame

Pulpit

• Like 4
51 minutes ago, Livia said:

Can an alternative aust sailing be set up ?

The above 4 will be excluded - they can have their own races between the 4 of them ?

1 hour ago, armchairadmiral said:

After 28358 posts of  mainly dubious quality (to say the least) you've finally nailed one. Couldn't have come up with one that good and relevant myself ! Celestial is a gone banana as the forces of evil (money) rally against them. The  decision will have already been made in the back bar. Sadly this is replicated in many situations in the sailing world and spreads as fast as Covid.

You have read all 28358 28359 of my posts? Now that is cree-pee. You may be amused to know that this is the first of yours I can recall reading. But thank you anyway...I guess.

• Like 1

So who are still in contention for the Tattersall win?

By my calculations the best placed boat seems to be White Bay 6 Azzurro, who is expected to finish around 6am tomorrow, high tide in Hobart tomorrow is 5:55am so she could have a following flood tide. Currently she is doing around 6 kts.

24 minutes ago, random. said:

The first job is to determine if it it a valid Protest.  If they did not notify them, then it's not valid.

That can be a moving feast. Did you know for example that a 'sailing office' (as described in the SI's AND NOR) that is closed, lights out and locked at 2 am is still considered to be open if a staff member is still wandering somewhere around the marina?

5 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

That can be a moving feast. Did you know for example that a 'sailing office' (as described in the SI's AND NOR) that is closed, lights out and locked at 2 am is still considered to be open if a staff member is still wandering somewhere around the marina?

That sailing office must have been manned by Mr E. Schrödinger

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Rainbow Spirit said:

So who are still in contention for the Tattersall win?

By my calculations the best placed boat seems to be White Bay 6 Azzurro, who is expected to finish around 6am tomorrow, high tide in Hobart tomorrow is 5:55am so she could have a following flood tide. Currently she is doing around 6 kts.

Tide flow is pretty much irrelevant in Hobart as it's a river nit an estuary, so the flow is always ebb and MIGHT slow a little on the flood!!

1 hour ago, Livia said:

Does this feel like the high school bully getting his mates to hold down the little kid while the bully bashes the crap out of him to anyone else?

• Like 13
1 hour ago, Livia said:

Straight to CAS.

• Like 1

Well i will say that this thread delivers every year- Green cape declarations. Port/ Starboard's in the harbor, AIS turned off to name but a few. And all the shitfights of course. Even after the untimely demise of the worlds greatest expert on everything , the late Jack Sparrow.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, random. said:

Something endemic in this sport are people willing to ignore rule breaking (if it happened) ... when it suits them.  They are the same people who scream like stuck pigs about the vaguest rule-bend when it could go their way.

I just hope that some of the posters here are never part of a Protest Committee, as they are incapable of assessing a claim without preconceived biases.

No but some of us on here have lost faith in the protest system - with very good reason.

• Like 2

Big shout out to Supernova (the first boat i owned a bit of) currently in 8th place.  Co skipper on board is Felicity Nelson, on her third attempt at completing her 25th Hobart!

Fabulous achievement no matter where they come!

Give them an extra cheer when they come in!

• Like 4
22 minutes ago, random. said:

Something endemic in this sport are people willing to ignore rule breaking (if it happened) ... when it suits them.  

Sadly it’s not just this sport. The Gliding Federation of Australia was pinged for cheating , had been for years, their excuse appears to be that everyone could cheat so it was a mystery why they hadn’t. 

Is it an Australian thingy? Who would have thought using Sandpaper on a cricket ball , on international TV was a good idea?

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Well i will say that this thread delivers every year- Green cape declarations. Port/ Starboard's in the harbor, AIS turned off to name but a few. And all the shitfights of course. Even after the untimely demise of the worlds greatest expert on everything , the late Jack Sparrow.

Jack gone, you and Random liking each others posts, just doesn't seem the same a year on. Any truth to the rumour IB to be renamed Das Boot?