2021 Sydney to Hobart

29 minutes ago, OZCAT said:

Not sure if you realise, but following the spread out fleet filming would not be logistically easy or cheap.  Not to mention we are a very tiny market of viewers.  Can’t compare to Big Brother where it is a lot easier and cheaper to stream and the market of sad fucks that would watch it is a much larger audience.

Nic Douglass did a better job last race, with almost no budget, and would have again this year if 7 had let her. 

And how much did they pay Spithill for about 86 seconds of answering inane questions from the other commentators? 

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

MAYDAY MAYDAY MAYDAY This is SPORTSMANSHIP SPORTSMANSHIP SPORTSMANSHIP MAYDAY SPORTSMANSHIP Our position is untenable We are beaten, battered, holed and sinking We are abandon

A good point. After every on-deck action, at every watch change, and in any case at every hour, I as watch captain (and this was the boat's standard practice) would call "Count off". My watch members

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, atnan said:

Counterpoint: Sail Media‘s coverage of the 18ft skiff races.

Last I checked, the 18s didn’t race continuous for days, spread out over many nautical miles off shore.

short course inshore racing is a little easier and cheaper to cover.  Also a lot more exiting than seeing only one boat on a screen with no other boats within miles.

19 minutes ago, OZCAT said:

Last I checked, the 18s didn’t race continuous for days, spread out over many nautical miles off shore.

Yeah I was mostly referring to the official coverage we got of pre-start, start, and out to the first mark. Left a lot to be desired, IMO. I realise coverage of the full race would be an order of magnitude harder.

1 hour ago, FixinGit said:

Channel 7 can go and get fucked.. 1Hour is a joke dammit. I just registered to watch the last 7mins of the live stream after a TV stuffup here involving retuning 2different tvs that were suddenly unable to stream images only sound on the HD scale!??..

This world where apparently Channel7 host/stream a dedicated big brother house gameshow channel 24/7 ffs but only 1hour of Australia's most historic sailing event is a world i’m daily growing tired of living in..

Trackers just aint enough:-(

Hopefully the CYCA can/could formulate a streaming page on youtube or something thats fed directly from each boat or random crew bodycam or some such?.

The 1hr Start, then the Derwent coverage is just not up to “exclusive broadcasting rights” standards these days.

Need to look at the big picture here.

Sailing is still a marginal activity. Yes, in sailing terms the start of Sydney Hobart is significant. But compared to other sports doesn't rate. Barely more than a curiousity for the wider public.

None of this rings true to us who are invested in our sport, but that is the long & short of it.

Furthermore, Channel 7, is arguably Australia's leading broadcaster who also currently have the broadcasting rights to the Cricket - both Test and Big Bash (20:20) formats. 

As you are probably aware - Boxing Day Test is big news in Oz, and Ashes even more so. It's a bit World Cup Football Final match of Cricket for comparison purposes. Especially when England are doing poorly........

The Syd-Hobart start is not unsurprisingly, scheduled into the Lunch break of the Boxing Day Test.

Channel 7 secures spots nuts of Australia to watch the Test Cricket, then the Sailing and back to the cricket before dovetailing into some evening 20:20 cricket after the Test wraps for Day 1. Nirvana for sports fans and couch potatoes alike...... Commercially it works well to keep viewers in Ch.7 sphere for a very extended period of time.

The sailing coverage has to be geared towards the non sailing crowd, but at least there is 90 mins of something, which beats the alternative.......

• Like 2
56 minutes ago, OZCAT said:

Not sure if you realise, but following the spread out fleet filming would not be logistically easy or cheap.  Not to mention we are a very tiny market of viewers.  Can’t compare to Big Brother where it is a lot easier and cheaper to stream and the market of sad fucks that would watch it is a much larger audience.

You are sadly quite correct about the Audience/market.
But today when drones and digital cameras and broadcasting tech is so suited to Youtube video blogs/posts surely theres some Guerrilla film footage setup possible at very least... If half these numpty “influencers” can do it, surely theres someone with the skillage i  the sailing village??

7network have the broadcast rights and seem to be doing buggar all with them... Perhaps Australian Sailing could kick in some effort to help CYCA setup something with the sailpass and Keel inspection cert money to grow the sport through the event that has the sailing worlds attention.? Put the fucking Kardashians on a boat next year or Big brother onboard one slow boat with preferably a fucked rudder and little rations or something creative like that to at least tempt people into sailing??.

7network is a waste of a good SydneyHobart is all i’m saying.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, [email protected] said:

Nic Douglass did a better job last race, with almost no budget, and would have again this year if 7 had let her. 

And how much did they pay Spithill for about 86 seconds of answering inane questions from the other commentators? 

Nic has consistently done a better job than 7 for the last 5 years maybe? Informed and accurate content, timely delivery without the BS favourable coverage of Oats. 

The commentary every year is fucked, I cringe when I hear it, I don't know if they're trying to cater to a less knowledgeable audience or what but it's fucked. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Boink said:

Sailing is still a marginal activity. Yes, in sailing terms the start of Sydney Hobart is significant. But compared to other sports doesn't rate. Barely more than a curiousity for the wider public.

None of this rings true to us who are invested in our sport, but that is the long & short of it.

Furthermore, Channel 7, is arguably Australia's leading broadcaster who also currently have the broadcasting rights to the Cricket - both Test and Big Bash (20:20) formats. 

As you are probably aware - Boxing Day Test is big news in Oz, and Ashes even more so. It's a bit World Cup Football Final match of Cricket for comparison purposes. Especially when England are doing poorly........

The Syd-Hobart start is not unsurprisingly, scheduled into the Lunch break of the Boxing Day Test.

Channel 7 secures spots nuts of Australia to watch the Test Cricket, then the Sailing and back to the cricket before dovetailing into some evening 20:20 cricket after the Test wraps for Day 1. Nirvana for sports fans and couch potatoes alike...... Commercially it works well to keep viewers in Ch.7 sphere for a very extended period of time.

The sailing coverage has to be geared towards the non sailing crowd, but at least there is 90 mins of something, which beats the alternative.......

Mate it's boxing day, don't get too complicated.

45 minutes ago, Redreuben said:

That fucken URM boat isn’t doing so fucken well. 
oh well fuck ‘em

Probably more of a personal experience....

53 minutes ago, Redreuben said:

That fucken URM boat isn’t doing so fucken well. 
oh well fuck ‘em

Someone I am close to thinks URM is a very strong contender this year.  They are currently flogging Moneypenny (as they did in the Bird Island Race) and I think they are definitely one to watch.  However, they have a very talented crew - of dinghy Olympians.  Big boat experience is the weakness.  

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Recidivist said:

Someone I am close to thinks URM is a very strong contender this year.  They are currently flogging Moneypenny (as they did in the Bird Island Race) and I think they are definitely one to watch.  However, they have a very talented crew - of dinghy Olympians.  Big boat experience is the weakness.  

Moneypenny & URM are both out.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

Moneypenny & URM are both out.

Fuck! 

Just checked, tracker shows Moneypenny as retired, but URM as still racing?

Edited by Recidivist
16 minutes ago, Recidivist said:

They’ve actually got a good mix of blokes. There are a few dinghy guys on board, but between Marcus, Mothy, Pete Harris and Seve you’ve also got guys who know how big the ka-boom is when you load a big boat incorrectly.

23 minutes ago, BoatSlut said:

Who was the boat at mark one with the kite flogging at the masthead, approx with the TP52s ?

99% sure it was Denali. They got to the turning mark with the kite still up, tried to go upwind with the kite still up, smoked the tack and got on national tv with a lovely masthead spinnaker sized flag.

In fact, I’d be surprised if they hadn’t chewed the side out of the masthead sheave box in the manoeuvre.

• Like 3

Tracker now showing URM heading north.  

Great to see Celestial leading the 52 pack - hope they can keep it up.  Scally back to speed also.  Witty may be maturing as a big boat skipper.

11 minutes ago, punter said:

Lot of these so-called professionals looking very amateur.

How do you know which boats had pros aboard?  And some people being paid for their talent don't have experience on that sort of boat.  Can't you just watch the TV and wince/laugh at the fuckups without disparaging an entire group of people?

Well here we are another year in. 

Can’t believe there are so many familiar face still around; Terra, Jason ect 

Looks like a C… of a trip south so kudos to all the guys and girls giving it a crack. I’ll enjoy being an armchair amateur. 

Looks like there were a few nerves going around that rounding mark. Again you can have a boat full of dingy pros, but it’s different to a big boat pro crew, which isn’t to different to a regular crew that rack up a lot of hours… 

I don’t believe boats with autopilot should be able to win - as autopilot tech has been on par with decent helmsman for the past 15years so I’d imagine it’s come a long way since then. 

what else… yep nothing changed. It’s an easy sport, whose got the most cash wins. That’s probably the difficult part of the sport, being able to earn the money to afford that toys. 

yep shit happens and things break - but overall it’s nothing particularly difficult with the right people.  

Anyhow “great to see the sport growing with 3 18yo in the race…”  

Back to the race, anyone have any models of trying to stay closer to land overnight vs staying east of the rhumb to stay in the breeze vs current? 

8 minutes ago, Nice! said:

Who is driving Comanche? Give me 5 min practice on the wheel and I could have got a better start. That makes 2 S2H race starts in a row that they've blown.

Yep, missed the start by half a lap of the globe.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Nice! said:

Who is driving Comanche? Give me 5 min practice on the wheel and I could have got a better start. That makes 2 S2H race starts in a row that they've blown.

Look at the tracker, they are way ahead. 
‘ )

• Like 1

Eora is kicking arse in the double handers. Lombard appears to hit a sweet spot with Class 40 and Henry and OShea sure seem to know their stuff. 

The double handers are reinvigorating my interest in the Hobart. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Jason AUS said:

That may actually be the skipper himself having one last nervous wee….

If it is the owner does anyone dare charge him with bringing the sport into disrepute by publicly displaying his genitals on national television?

28 minutes ago, random101 said:

I don’t believe boats with autopilot should be able to win - as autopilot tech has been on par with decent helmsman for the past 15years so I’d imagine it’s come a long way since then. 

100% agree that modern autopilots performance is amazing. 

But even Hugo Boss haven't made an autopilot that can 'see' yet. I don't see how it is possible for a two handed with a good autopilot to have an advantage over a fully crewed boat. Especially in these conditions, you'd need to be trimming every wave and that's just not possible with just two crew. 

• Like 4
13 minutes ago, shaggybaxter said:

Eora is kicking arse in the double handers. Lombard appears to hit a sweet spot with Class 40 and Henry and OShea sure seem to know their stuff. 

The double handers are reinvigorating my interest in the Hobart. 

Couldn't agree more - certainly driving more interest in the race here in Europe! Fingers crossed people take note and we see more of these Class40 rocket ships outside of France!

Just now, (p)Irate said:

If it is the owner does anyone dare charge him with bringing the sport into disrepute by publicly displaying his genitals on national television?

Depends on the size, I couldn't see it, so it's a pass.

Witty however will be charged with having his female crew putting Sudacrem on it.

One hears...

Pretty funny, someone makes a Hitler meme seen by 15 people and they want to throw him out of the sport for life, have a nice slow piss off the back of the boat on National television, no action no doubt.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Boink said:

Channel 7 don't film the cricket. They use the international stream and the commentators comment on that.

They also have half a dozen other channels to televise the boats.

Infrastructure is no excuse.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Rohanoz said:

Looks like Zen is heading back to Sydney. Bummer for mates on the boat - hope all is ok.

Bad luck for the team, they looked like they were going well after cabbage tree, and I'd chucked a few $$ on them. 

There are a lot of boats heading north that are not listed as retired, urm, zen, TSA mgmt, mille sabords. Gear breakage or late positive test results?

3 minutes ago, Rantifarian said:

There are a lot of boats heading north that are not listed as retired, urm, zen, TSA mgmt, mille sabords. Gear breakage or late positive test results?

Race Organiser Notes

• Blink - Retired - torn main sail
  • Mako - retired - damaged mainsail
  • Mille Sabords - retired - torn mainsail
  • Minerva - retired - mainsail damage
  • Moneypenny - Retired - Broken Headstay
  • Nautical Circle - retired - rigging issues
  • No Limit - retired - heading to Sydney
  • TSA Management - retired - mainsail damage
  • URM - retired - damaged mainsail
  • White Noise - retired - window damage
1 minute ago, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

Race Organiser Notes

Add Scallywag to that?

1 minute ago, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

Race Organiser Notes

Mainsail damage?

Reefing a lost art?

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

Race Organiser Notes

So No Limit hasn’t given a reason in that list.  Covid?

16 minutes ago, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

Race Organiser Notes

Yeah but the maths doesn't add up. I thought it was 90 entries with two pulled out yesterday. That gives 88 boats starting. Then we have 11 retirements but only 60 boats on line honours. Where are the rest?

2 minutes ago, Jethrow said:

Yeah but the maths doesn't add up. I thought it was 90 entries with two pulled out yesterday. That gives 88 boats starting. Then we have 11 retirements but only 60 boats on line honours. Where are the rest?

The 2 handed entries are on their own section of the standings.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Jason AUS said:

I feel for the team on White Noise (retired). “Window damage” at sea is one scary ass proposition.

Yeah, but in these conditions?

We had window damage in 1970 - the liefraft was ripped from it's mounts and broke a cabin window - but the anemometer was pegged at 70 knots at the time, and the window was armoured glass, so it split but stayed in place.

How good are Celestial, Quest and Gweilo doing?  Right there with Whisper and Alive, both 10' longer, and both quick boats!

Keep it going guys, brilliant stuff.

20 minutes ago, Recidivist said:

Yeah, but in these conditions?

We had window damage in 1970 - the liefraft was ripped from it's mounts and broke a cabin window - but the anemometer was pegged at 70 knots at the time, and the window was armoured glass, so it split but stayed in place.

I reckon it’s either a front hatch that got stepped (jumped) on, or one big boy stepped on a coach roof window/hatch as the boat over a wave. Bloke went up, boat went down… gravity plus human = broken window.

Wind over tide out there is no joke.

20 minutes ago, resist said:

Denali heading north east at 1.5kts now too... Feeling good about hopping in to bed tonight after all. Hoping a couple of these tracks are just sorting fixable things out

Yeah, cracking in their hull, they let off a pan pan about 40 mins ago while I was listening on the radio.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Boink said:

Best laugh I have had in 2021! Thanks.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Redreuben said:

If they are breaking foreststays what’s holding the masts up ?

Furlers ?

Lightning reaction from the driver until they can stick a halyard on the pointy bit.