2021 Sydney to Hobart

4 minutes ago, Sidecar said:

The jib luff via the halliard becomes the forestay.

Don’t ask me how I know…..

If your tack of your jib is on the furler and the furler breaks free you have no tension on the jib.

I think your tack of your jib is separate fitted to the deck and than it works.

• Like 2
  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

MAYDAY MAYDAY MAYDAY This is SPORTSMANSHIP SPORTSMANSHIP SPORTSMANSHIP MAYDAY SPORTSMANSHIP Our position is untenable We are beaten, battered, holed and sinking We are abandon

A good point. After every on-deck action, at every watch change, and in any case at every hour, I as watch captain (and this was the boat's standard practice) would call "Count off". My watch members

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Redreuben said:

How do you get luff tension with no forestay ?

By using the sail as the forestay. I have seen forestay failures where the jib survives and holds the halyard and forestay tension. This gives you enough time to get a halyard forward and control the rig before taking down the (now ruined) jib.

You haven’t lived until you’ve seen the draft in a jib shoot all the way forward and stay there like a coiled snake after a headstay breaks.

• Like 4
10 minutes ago, jackolantern said:

By using the sail as the forestay. I have seen forestay failures where the jib survives and holds the halyard and forestay tension. This gives you enough time to get a halyard forward and control the rig before taking down the (now ruined) jib.

You haven’t lived until you’ve seen the draft in a jib shoot all the way forward and stay there like a coiled snake after a headstay breaks.

By this failure the forestay stayed intact but the attachment between the deck and the furler did give way so the jib can't help in this instance. 

11 minutes ago, jackolantern said:

Lol, well I’ve seen a stainless backstay go bang, it danced around the cockpit with a wire head the size of a balloon. 
That was exciting. 

6 hours ago, sfigone said:

Thanks for the link Sfi, best tracker by far, including my beloved Windy.

But even more a very big thanks to our @forss !

Are you OK Forss? Have been missing you for the last big French races, or is that an ongoing issue with Geovoile?

• Like 3
2 hours ago, mowgli said:

By this failure the forestay stayed intact but the attachment between the deck and the furler did give way so the jib can't help in this instance. 

Mowgli, what are you talking about? Are you referring to a specific boat, or asking in general?

2 hours ago, jackolantern said:

Had this happen,  crack off to put pressure forward on the rig 

1 hour ago, shaggybaxter said:

Mowgli, what are you talking about? Are you referring to a specific boat, or asking in general?

I explained to some people why the mast did stay up of Scallywag, they didn't see there was an other stay

35 minutes ago, FINS said:

Law Connect showing up again! just behind Blackjack

Now a few minutes lar ay offshore ahead of Scallywag... tracker fucked

Not quite.  Leaderboard says it is a deduced position based on the last signal they received from the beacon.  I hope this means that they have reason to believe she is still racing and just isn't sending out a signal, and not that there is an issue.

4 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

Alive looks to have bailed. A big shame.  Good boat and team.

Looks like at least 19 teams are out now.

Damn, there goes my favourite. Love that boat and Duncan is one of the nicest guys you could meet.  

• Like 3
28 minutes ago, shaggybaxter said:

Damn, there goes my favourite. Love that boat and Duncan is one of the nicest guys you could meet.  

I have met Duncan a couple of times, could not agree more!

15 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

What's with LawConnect? Are they retiring? Tracker shows heading wrong way 0 kt

Or is their transponder off?

Their transponder is acting up plus this tracker is the worst one out of any races. The coverage and tracker have been the same story for the past 8 years, tough to keep thinking it will change.

• Like 2

Dislocated shoulder on a boat can't be much fun. Interesting that there have been a few retirements due to engine issues. 

Retirements: Moneypenny (broken forestay), Blink (torn main), Mako (damaged main), URM (damaged main), Hip-Nautic (damaged main), TSA Management (damaged main), No Limit (crew with dislocated shoulder), Minerva (damaged main), Mille Sabords (damaged main), Nautical Circle (rigging issues), White Noise (window damage), Zen (minor injury), Gweilo (damaged forestay), Eora (broken backstay), Ariel (damaged main), Oskana (broken forestay), Enchantress (broken forestay), Denali (hull damage), OzDesign Patrice Six (engine issues), Philosopher (engine issues), Huntress (TBC), Extasea (engine issues), Alive (hull damage) and Kayimai (electrical issues).

2 minutes ago, vokstar said:

Dislocated shoulder on a boat can't be much fun. Interesting that there have been a few retirements due to engine issues. 

Retirements: Moneypenny (broken forestay), Blink (torn main), Mako (damaged main), URM (damaged main), Hip-Nautic (damaged main), TSA Management (damaged main), No Limit (crew with dislocated shoulder), Minerva (damaged main), Mille Sabords (damaged main), Nautical Circle (rigging issues), White Noise (window damage), Zen (minor injury), Gweilo (damaged forestay), Eora (broken backstay), Ariel (damaged main), Oskana (broken forestay), Enchantress (broken forestay), Denali (hull damage), OzDesign Patrice Six (engine issues), Philosopher (engine issues), Huntress (TBC), Extasea (engine issues), Alive (hull damage) and Kayimai (electrical issues).

Any word on who had the dislocation?

57 minutes ago, sfigone said:

I'm loving the race between Crux and Azzurro. One boat with all the heavy gear replaced with carbon fiber and the other with all the heavy crew taken off:)

Crux may actually be lighter than Azzurro.  It is the former Blondie and may be the lightest S&S34 ever built (which is sort of a funny phrase when you think about it, as these are not exactly light boats for their size ...).

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Plumbean said:

Crux may actually be lighter than Azzurro.  It is the former Blondie and may be the lightest S&S34 ever built (which is sort of a funny phrase when you think about it, as these are not exactly light boats for their size ...).

from the ORC certs

Crux 5,206 kg

Azzurro 4,801 kg

3 minutes ago, The Dark Knight said:

from the ORC certs

Crux 5,206 kg

Azzurro 4,801 kg

Ron White as an earlier owner did all sorts of grinding and weight reduction on the boat now known as Azzurro...nothing like the weight she came out of the mould with!! The boat is "special"

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, The Dark Knight said:

from the ORC certs

Crux 5,206 kg

Azzurro 4,801 kg

And that's empty weight. There is a lot more gear on Crux and the personal gear of Carlos & Peter is probably more than the total gear for the 6 crew on Azzurro (including any contraband smuggled past Shane)!

2 minutes ago, Couta said:

Ron White as an earlier owner did all sorts of grinding and weight reduction on the boat now known as Azzurro...nothing like the weight she came out of the mould with!! The boat is "special"

I guess the deck also saves weight over the original.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, The Dark Knight said:

I guess the deck also saves weight over the original

And the carbon fiber: engine box, companion way stairs, rudder, tiller, toilet, coffee cup holders, etc. etc. Not to mention the total lack of furniture or anything non essential. There is not even any dust on board and since she is dry sailed, there is little moisture in any structure.

"Special" is the right word for her.

Whilst I'm here.... geeeeze the coverage is crap. I'd expect at least 2 tweets for every withdrawal: one for them initial report and another once details are known.  3 press releases a day just doesn't cut it these days!

It's easier to follow the race whilst out there... at least you get AIS updates in real time, radio chatter and accurate weather obs! 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Livia said:

Yep

If they were to get knocked off by Ichi, tell them to put in a rule 69 protest for "piss gate"

5 hours ago, Jambalaya said:

The French seem to be upset about one person pissing off the back of Ichi Bahn. Clearly they've nothing better to do at Christmas at Voiles et Voiliers

V et V

55D2FE41-676C-41AB-AEE9-A5282B538B8B.png

11 minutes ago, Livia said:

Three of the first five on IRC are two handed right now

Must be due to the massive advantage they get from the autohelms.

• Like 4
11 minutes ago, The Dark Knight said:

Anyone know why Ichi Ban is div 0 whilst the TP52's are Div 1?

Matt Allen does not think he can even win the div 1 trophy so he was moved up to 0?

See the earlier post about water ballast panels.

1 hour ago, vokstar said:

= just about optimized

10 hours ago, Sidecar said:

Plus jib luff tension……

We broke the point where the forestay meets the deck so it took the jib tack with it. The whole kit flapping to leeward of the main. Boom got pretty low and the runners got loose but the rig stayed up. Ran forward to tie on a halyard and headed home. 
that was a 70 foot 3/4 fractional rig.

Lucky for us, the conditions were very flat in around 10 knots of wind and it broke as I got an extra turn on the runner. The fitting had fractured over time and my final crank on the runner did it.

• Like 1

Happy Christmas/NY all. Another  interesting S2H even though reduced numbers this year. 
25/90odd retirees atm including the seperate 2 handed div. Yes, it’s incredible! There’s even a 2 handed Div these days with 17 boats and only 3 retired so far (what next??!! A multi division??!!) which they reckon they couldn't include in the overall results but will from next year which is a bit perplexing. 

For a Hobart race it seems like it has not been particularly rough but certainly not a milk run. 

20- 30 knots upwind with a couple knots of countercurrent so probably quite wavey and ugly. 

Not extreme but pretty bloody uncomfortable and lots of strain on all the bits n pieces including the human bits n pieces  

Was keen to go down and have gander but weather didn’t look so inviting. It would have been not that nice out there to go down there from Pittwater and try to follow them for a bit until turning around to come home so gave it a miss. The soy sauce for the sushi and sushimi might have shloshed out of the dish. 

Been ages since I watched it live on telly. I thought it was pretty good coverage. Probably could do with a few more graphics on screen for the non sailors to help understand what’s going on like on AC SailGP and American footy. 

Fun to watch with the downwind start antics and interpretations of vmg to the bottom mark and all the kite drops and code 0 furling fun and games. Just goes to show. Sailing- it’s  kinda simple but not always so easy and with the compulsory inclusion on each boat of crewman Murphy and his cousins helping out there’s plenty of opportunities for fuck ups. Even for the experts and well trained. 

They showed lots of non line honours boats and less fancied boats on the coverage which was pretty cool. 

I see one not particularly slow boat has only covered 70 miles in a day which is definitely getting maximum sailing time for its entry fee. Great value. But possibly will miss the New Year’s Eve party in Hobart at that rate. Hopefully they’ll keep them a couple of lobsters and some cold champagne for when they arrive. 

And that big lead to Black Jack atm. Surprising and impressive really to be that much quicker unless the other two 100 footers are backing off a little or having issues or just keeping their powder dry until it's time to put the pedal down. 

I thought Scallywag did so well to get its inner forestay sorted after it busted free at the deck just outside of the Heads. I'd love to know if it was a fixed stay or a running stay and what let go and what they did to fix it. I rated them a low chance to carry on. And it was surprising how little ground they lost by firstly turning down wind to get the sail down which I didn't understand how they did that unless it was a flying stay and then beating with just main and then beating for who knows how long with just the storm staysail up. Impressive. 

Retirees. 
Mainly ripped mainsails. Love it when cloth makers tout you the latest and greatest cloth. « This is the shit! » 
Then Broken stays 
Few broken engines. (?)
Hull damage. 

They should be ok for weather from here, it looks like nice reaching conditions mainly although it could go very light at times. 

I heard there was a shitload of boats with Covid positive tests results found out after the start which is meant to mean immediate retirement but I'm not seeing that in the retirement list and a bummer if you get a false positive. 

S2H. Always good drama. 

• Like 2
36 minutes ago, LionIsland said:

20- 30 knots upwind with a couple knots of countercurrent so probably quite wavey and ugly. 

Reports from competitors after retirement of going from 20-25 knots to 40-45 with horizontal rain, blowing out rigs and sails in minutes - probably a lot more than a light gale to bash 20 odd boats out of contention...  A couple of injuries too.  Most boats tacking down the coast if you look at their tracking, not many apart from the lead fast boats able to reach yet.  The covid test thing was sorted before the race - yes there were issues (the general population can attest to that), no it isn't hundreds of test results for competitors wrong or not correctly passed on...

I did a delivery from Geraldton to Perth, you ride the Leeuwin current south but the sea breeze 25-30 is in your teeth. 
You don’t roll over the waves as they stand up and have no back so you just drop off into the trough.
Very hard on the boat. 

1 hour ago, LionIsland said:

Happy Christmas/NY all. Another  interesting S2H even though reduced numbers this year. 
25/90odd retirees atm including the seperate 2 handed div. Yes, it’s incredible! There’s even a 2 handed Div these days with 17 boats and only 3 retired so far (what next??!! A multi division??!!) which they reckon they couldn't include in the overall results but will from next year which is a bit perplexing. 

For a Hobart race it seems like it has not been particularly rough but certainly not a milk run. 

Not extreme but pretty bloody uncomfortable and lots of strain on all the bits n pieces including the human bits n pieces  

Was keen to go down and have gander but weather didn’t look so inviting. It would have been not that nice out there to go down there from Pittwater and try to follow them for a bit until turning around to come home so gave it a miss. The soy sauce for the sushi and sushimi might have shloshed out of the dish. 

Been ages since I watched it live on telly. I thought it was pretty good coverage. Probably could do with a few more graphics on screen for the non sailors to help understand what’s going on like on AC SailGP and American footy. 

Fun to watch with the downwind start antics and interpretations of vmg to the bottom mark and all the kite drops and code 0 furling fun and games. Just goes to show. Sailing- it’s  kinda simple but not always so easy and with the compulsory inclusion on each boat of crewman Murphy and his cousins helping out there’s plenty of opportunities for fuck ups. Even for the experts and well trained. 

They showed lots of non line honours boats and less fancied boats on the coverage which was pretty cool. 

I see one not particularly slow boat has only covered 70 miles in a day which is definitely getting maximum sailing time for its entry fee. Great value. But possibly will miss the New Year’s Eve party in Hobart at that rate. Hopefully they’ll keep them a couple of lobsters and some cold champagne for when they arrive. 

And that big lead to Black Jack atm. Surprising and impressive really to be that much quicker unless the other two 100 footers are backing off a little or having issues or just keeping their powder dry until it's time to put the pedal down. 

I thought Scallywag did so well to get its inner forestay sorted after it busted free at the deck just outside of the Heads. I'd love to know if it was a fixed stay or a running stay and what let go and what they did to fix it. I rated them a low chance to carry on. And it was surprising how little ground they lost by firstly turning down wind to get the sail down which I didn't understand how they did that unless it was a flying stay and then beating with just main and then beating for who knows how long with just the storm staysail up. Impressive. 

Retirees. 
Mainly ripped mainsails. Love it when cloth makers tout you the latest and greatest cloth. « This is the shit! » 
Then Broken stays 
Few broken engines. (?)
Hull damage. 

They should be ok for weather from here, it looks like nice reaching conditions mainly although it could go very light at times. 

I heard there was a shitload of boats with Covid positive tests results found out after the start which is meant to mean immediate retirement but I'm not seeing that in the retirement list and a bummer if you get a false positive. 

S2H. Always good drama. 

A wonderful summation of everything we already know.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, Boatbeard said:

Reports from competitors after retirement of going from 20-25 knots to 40-45 with horizontal rain, blowing out rigs and sails in minutes - probably a lot more than a light gale to bash 20 odd boats out of contention...  A couple of injuries too. 

Ewww. Ugly. 
I wonder what distance a bow moves up and down and at what rate on say a 40’, 60’, 80’ 100’ boat. 
Can’t imagine being tossed up into the air from the bow of a 100 footer (especially) like a pancake being flipped from a pan as the bow bounces over a cresting 30’ wave face and falling down after it and slamming into it as it starts to make its way back up the face of the next wave after the bow has  dropped away from you down into the trough is that much fun after 1000th time as you try to fix up one of Murphy’s little helpful fuck ups at 2.00am. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Bill E Goat said:

Farrk, good start nice beat east then tack south, breeze built to mid 20's then next thing you know is 40-45 horizontal rain, change to the No5, putting in the 2nd reef the leach splits, race over.  Luckily one of the crews girlfriend meets us at the dock with a case of beer.    There were a few retirements of boats around us with damaged mains.  Never seen it hit so hard and fast with no warning ever.  Sitting here with a rum and coke feeling for those still out there, the weather is absolute shit

What are you on Bill?

5 minutes ago, cbulger said:

Guess they - we - missed that one.

It could well be content that they got out of the boat earlier that on shore are just posting now to keep things ticking over on their FB, but isn't their rules that if you can't communicate out of the boat you have to retire? 

22 minutes ago, cbulger said:

Per Sail World - not just a tracker issue - but all attempts to reach her via comms have failed.

So sounds like they have lost all or partial electronics..? Still sailing obviously but we don't know where they are and Hobart Tracker using deduced reckoning.?

Don't they all have a compulsory radio check when passing the latitude of Green Cape?

CYC website "news" is pretty woeful, last official news was at 10am, and was a video recap of start, do I have to go to Zuckerbook to get the latest??

Great, the latest on Farcebook was yesterday at 9:21am, does the cyc even have a media section, if I was a sponsor, I would be pretty pissed off.....

So, once again Sailing Anarchy is the most up to date info, based on rumours, supposition, and the odd post from competitors, who are keeping it real, Thanks Bill E.

• Like 3