40 Containers off WA Coast

Time to go beachcombing.

5 minutes ago, See Level said:

Go for it:blink:

"Two of the containers contain hazardous materials, reportedly spontaneous combustibles."

OK,

but.... whats in the other 38 cans?

Of which maybe 8 are still afloat...

Enquiring minds want to know.

10 minutes ago, hdra said:

Even better, now the ship that lost the containers is on fire at anchor off Victoria...

https://www.cheknews.ca/fire-breaks-out-on-cargo-vessel-that-lost-shipping-containers-near-vancouver-island-903057/

I'm sure the government of Malta will step up and make this right, given that it's flagged in their country.

• Like 1

Fire looks almost out of control, certainly when considering the increasing wind.

Can anyone discern a fireboat, or should their onboard firefighting capabilities being able to cope with it? Doesn't look like it...

Here an easier clikable link for the webcam, fascinating and frightening it is.

https://windisgood.com/dallas-road-webcam-live.html

It's anchored on Constance Bank. If that fucker sinks there it will make a huge mess.

More good news:

The models have converged to a consistent solution, the storm is beginning to "bomb", and I can now provide a forecast with some confidence.

This will be the strongest Northwest storm on record, but its strength will collapse as it approaches the coast of Vancouver Island.  More quickly than any storm in my experience.

And there will be strong winds over land, but not from the south, but from the east, as air is pulled westward by the immense, powerful storm offshore.

Both the American (GFS) and European Center (ECMWF) models indicate very rapid intensification over the next 24h, with the storm catching down to around 943 hPa (see below for 8 AM Sunday).  This is a "bomb" cyclone, with the pressure dropping more than 24 hPa in 24 hours.

There has never been a storm this strong in the nearshore waters of our region.  

The closest was 950 hPA in 1981.

Both U.S. and European modeling systems predict massive swell/waves approaching the West Coast from this monster storm, reaching 30 feet on Sunday evening!

This system is supposed to collapse rapidly just before it hits the coast, thankfully.

1 minute ago, jerseyguy said:
12 minutes ago, Rain Man said:

Time to tow this thing out of the environment.

Before the front falls off

That may be surprisingly quickly, it's not looking good.

image.thumb.png.16dce9e918dbdae66b80a334060ed5e4.png

18 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

Pretty sure the 38 were full of the chips auto makers think we care about.

Probably all the parts that my distributors think they'll have in stock in the first half of 2022. It sure as shit ain't just automakers who are struggling to get parts.

"Yeah... about that. We think we can get you those instrumentation amplifier chips sometime in November of 2023."

"But I need the boards done in January."

"Might be time to redesign"

In all seriousness, I sure hope it was something useless like bananas or makeup wipes or diapers.

Fire is definitely growing and sreading. This webcam screenshot just 2½ hours after the previous one.

Containers are said to be pretty fire resistant, but in a big fire like this I would think the hazardous content will begin leaking out under the pressure that builds up, or even blow up or melt the containers.

Not good at all.

Screenshot_20211024-201040.thumb.png.55b21ecebce9d5d1ab57326367f45677.png

Edited by Fiji Bitter
2½ hours
6 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Fire is definitely growing and sreading. This webcam screenshot just 2½ hours after the previous one.

Containers are said to be pretty fire resistant, but in a big fire like this I would think the hazardous content will begin leaking out under the pressure that builds up, or even blow up or melt the containers.

Not good at all.

Screenshot_20211024-201040.thumb.png.55b21ecebce9d5d1ab57326367f45677.png

I think the bright lights are attending boats

25 minutes ago, KC375 said:

I think the bright lights are attending boats

At first light now, I thought so too, but no one seemed to pay attention. -_- 

The "fire" seems to flicker for real though, and earlier on one of the "fires" seemed to emit a lot of smoke. That must have been fifi water!

It is blowing East 40 kts at Race Rocks a few miles away.  The poo will be hitting the fan shortly.  No wonder they are trying anything they can to get the fire out.

When the storm hits it might be difficult to get the remaining crew off the boat.  

4 minutes ago, IStream said:

I thought all the crew had been evacuated already.

Captain and five others stayed on board, eleven evacuated.

Or, eleven on board and sixteen evacuated as per another news source. I'll go with the first story. 

6 minutes ago, IStream said:

I thought all the crew had been evacuated already. 

That's what CCG advised - did it happen?  The captain said in the radio exchange he wanted to leave minimal crew aboard 

2 minutes ago, Rain Man said:

That's what CCG advised - did it happen?  The captain said in the radio exchange he wanted to leave minimal crew aboard 

The Canadian Coast Guard says a total of 10 containers are on fire as of 11 p.m. Saturday and that the blaze continues to spread, but that the ship itself is not on fire. They also say that 16 out of 21 total crew members have been evacuated from the ship and the remaining five will stay onboard overnight to help fight the fire.

Numbers keep changing.

38 minutes ago, Rain Man said:

It is blowing East 40 kts at Race Rocks a few miles away.  The poo will be hitting the fan shortly.  No wonder they are trying anything they can to get the fire out.

When the storm hits it might be difficult to get the remaining crew off the boat.  

Race Rock is the only place it's blowing 50. All the other buoys just show a gale or less.

I've been watching the buoys and haven't seen anything extraordinary let alone the worst storm in history.

https://weather.gc.ca/marine/forecast_e.html?mapID=02&siteID=14305

58 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Race Rock is the only place it's blowing 50. All the other buoys just show a gale or less.

I've been watching the buoys and haven't seen anything extraordinary let alone the worst storm in history.

To answer that, see the link below from the other thread.

Predicting it will be the strongest NW storm on record - but will collapse  quickly as it approaches the coast of Vancouver Island

12 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Interesting and extensive update from aforementioned Cliff Mass:

https://cliffmass.blogspot.com/?m=1

Still plenty but not as much wind as first predicted, but big seas anyway. Don't think the lifeboats will be training at the Columbia bar...

All the hype about this "bomb cyclone" reminds me of Hurricane Patricia back in October 23, 2015.  People were crapping their pants about Patricia at the time as in this SA thread: 

Patricia grew quickly with the highest wind speed ever recorded over open water at 215 mph, made landfall at 150 mph in a relatively unpopulated area of Mexico, then dissipated even more quickly to a tropical depression in less than 24 hours.

2 minutes ago, toddster said:

One source says that only two boxes on board, and two in the water, contain(ed) the water-reactive chemicals.  IDK where they got the info. If so, back to conventional fire-fighting seems the way to go.  

I believe the USCG has spotted 35 of the 40 containers.  I suspect unrecoverable at the moment due to conditions, but I imagine they have a pretty good idea of where those 35 containers are.

2 hours ago, 12 metre said:

I believe the USCG has spotted 35 of the 40 containers.  I suspect unrecoverable at the moment due to conditions, but I imagine they have a pretty good idea of where those 35 containers are.

That's good news for Dollar stores and Big Lots. This is how they stock their stores.

Interesting picture! Are that ribs (frames) or is that partially burned out corrugated metal sheet?

Anyone knows how containers are constructed these days?

Anyhow, apperently not strong enough IMHO.

FCf_ZkPXIAIRGiN.jpg.08f177b0ec9a8665bb0e37c7f26e6964.jpg

1 hour ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Interesting picture! Are that ribs (frames) or is that partially burned out corrugated metal sheet?

They nearly all have a wooden floor inside.  If the container contents burn, the floor will too, if it gets hot enough.  The wood is meant to be pressure-treated with fire-inhibitors, but most containers are manufactured who knows where so this doesn't always apply.

1 hour ago, Fiji Bitter said:

FCf_ZkPXIAIRGiN.jpg.08f177b0ec9a8665bb0e37c7f26e6964.jpg

I think that's where trumps new social platform was stored. God took offense to the misuse of the word.

46 minutes ago, hdra said:

Looks like a burned out container hanging over the side to my inexperienced eye

No, it's the burned out carcas of a humpback whale, that's what the Korean Captain said when he was talking about the crew staying onboard. I've been wrong before...

OK, now I see, Wop reckons it's the burned out fireproof wood floor. Interesting!

And Santa Cruz says it was an act of got, and a Saint on the Cross must know what he is talking about.

Thinking about it all, I'm now convinced that the hazardous content was just Covid boosters, and the Mark of the Beast got out prematurely, no stopping the Spirit...

You heard it here on SA first, spread the word!

23 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I do recall the Inauguration Day storm in Seattle. 100k plus in our neighborhood and then the anemometer broke.  It belongs to a retired sub commander who  lived nearby.  It was an anemometer from a retired sub. Remember the whole house shaking and making a deep moaning rumbling sound.  We’ve observed 40+ knots here.

5 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Should be some great beach combing off Sheringham & Sooke.

They are heading north at a respectable speed, and they are far enough offshore to get around Brooks Peninsula. CG figures they are all going to sink before they wash ashore. 

If we can't grab 100 or so containers that fell off a ship and floated more or less intact onto a beach, what would we do if there was an oil tanker collision with another ship or grounding at the mouth of Juan de Fuca?

So far our effort seems to be confined to flying choppers over them to see where they go.  Hopefully there is more going on than what we see in the media.  

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Some of the contents are washing up on the north island. A bunch of people are going to not get their fridges on time.

Nor yoga mats, an international emergency!

On 10/22/2021 at 7:03 PM, Calling Elvis said:

Looks like that big low heading towards the NW is already causing some damage. 

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/approx-40-shipping-containers-adrift-off-washington-coast/GLA23HNGLZADTGDQRPRX2AUTG4/

That's where the chip to my new car is!

On 10/25/2021 at 1:27 AM, Fiji Bitter said:

At first light now, I thought so too, but no one seemed to pay attention. -_- 

Ah the old Jack Sparrow ‘ yes I deliberately said that to see if anyone noticed’. Your standard response whenever you are caught out talking bullshit. 

Best to now quote yourself to prove you were right. 

You are one sad fuck Jack.

7 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Ah the old Jack Sparrow ‘ yes I deliberately said that to see if anyone noticed’. Your standard response whenever you are caught out talking bullshit. 

Best to now quote yourself to prove you were right. 

You are one sad fuck Jack.

"I meant to do that"

Cheap Bottom Cleaning — Rigging Doctor