Bermuda return crew

Restive is signing up for the Npt-Bda Race, starting June 17th, 2022.

The race crew is filled with longtime shipmates, but I try to give 1-2 of the return berths to nice people who would like some offshore experience.

The returns are usually relaxed and fun, reaching conditions, trimming for comfort. 

My boats are poorly prepared deathtraps. If you are unfamiliar, there are photos sprinkled through this forum. My skipper resume is available but it reflects my callous indifference to human suffering and safety.

Especially if you know someone younger who would like some experience, this is a good opportunity. In the past several people from here have had their first offshore rides as Bermuda returns on my boats.

Three caveats. I am not inclined to make extreme accomodations for highly specialized diets, we don't discuss partisan politics on my boats,  if you think that me being in then oil and gas business makes me evil, you should probably keep that opinion to yourself. 

• Like 9

That didn't take long - CL and I agree on 2 things - Taos is awesome and sailing should be fun - the return I did a few years back is one of my all time favorite trips.   OK, 3 things - should be able to discuss anything, just not while on a boat.

1 hour ago, ProaSailor said:

Does that mean it's OK to discuss politics if everyone is a Republican?

I've never, to my knowledge, had a crew all of one political party. 

I know for a fact that this race crew has the only diversities that count - of talent and of thought. 

Put it this way, the smartest lefty commie rat progressive who ever posted at PA was a guy called MoeAlfa. I believe this will be his 6th race with me. 

He and I can discuss things rationally, because we each know the other will never throw in a verbal hand grenade or speak in bad faith. This is because we each respect the other as a rational, intelligent person with well thought positions and speaking in good faith with no intention to inflame or insult. We both seek better understanding of the thought processes of those with whom we disagree.

• Like 10
50 minutes ago, Cruisin Loser said:

I've never, to my knowledge, had a crew all of one political party. 

I know for a fact that this race crew has the only diversities that count - of talent and of thought. 

Put it this way, the smartest lefty commie rat progressive who ever posted at PA was a guy called MoeAlfa. I believe this will be his 6th race with me. 

He and I can discuss things rationally, because we each know the other will never throw in a verbal hand grenade or speak in bad faith. This is because we each respect the other as a rational, intelligent person with well thought positions and speaking in good faith with no intention to inflame or insult. We both seek better understanding of the thought processes of those with whom we disagree.

In other words, don't talk politics with your racing crew. It distracts from the important and primary goal of making the boat go fast.

Some of my best friends have been right wing neo-facist nut jobs. Others have been left wing commie nut jobs. We respect each other enough not to talk about politics when we are sailing together.

Sailing, and particularly racing, is what unites us. All else is irrelevant when we are on the boat. Instead, we focus on winning the race.

• Like 2
52 minutes ago, Ajax said:

I wouldn't ride with him.  He can't keep a working shitter.  ;)

Everyone from that race who is still with us (RIP Larry) is doing this one. 

23 minutes ago, accnick said:

In other words, don't talk politics with your racing crew. It distracts from the important and primary goal of making the boat go fast.

Some of my best friends have been right wing neo-facist nut jobs. Others have been left wing commie nut jobs. We respect each other enough not to talk about politics when we are sailing together.

Sailing, and particularly racing, is what unites us. All else is irrelevant when we are on the boat. Instead, we focus on winning the race.

Amen, brother! 

3 minutes ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Everyone from that race who is still with us (RIP Larry) is doing this one. 

Amen, brother! 

Actually,  I can arrange for Larry to ride with you one,  last time. 

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Don't put him on the helm for the start.

Fuck you, Ish. Larry had a man card that would've broken your pussy back. Mock his memory AFTER you've done a nightime, bad weather carrier landing with an F14.

Congratulations on earning the first FU I've issued in probably 10 years. 

Mock anything else. Not Larry. 

4 minutes ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Fuck you, Ish. Larry had a man card that would've broken your pussy back. Mock his memory AFTER you've done a nightime, bad weather carrier landing with an F14.

Congratulations on earning the first FU I've issued in probably 10 years. 

Mock anything else. Not Larry. 

I think you missed Ish's subtle humour.

IOW, it's not going to go well to have an urn of ashes steering the boat at the start....

Pretty sure no disrespect was intended.

FKT

• Like 3
23 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

My boats are poorly prepared deathtraps.

cockwood-wreck-for-website.jpg.e8432c012c86c67ad9c879a34359fab0.jpgDon't be taken in by CL's impish self-deprecation.   There is nothing wrong with his boat that a bit of a scrub won't put right ... and as you can see, his people are already on the case. ;) 

6 minutes ago, Ajax said:

I made the comment because Larry heard a great sense of humor. Well, and because he left me the list of final instructions. 

I'm glad Larry had a sense of humour because CL sure doesn't.

And CL, fuck you back.

3 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Cool, MoeAlfa's still around. I miss reading his postings, hope he's doing well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ajax said:

Actually,  I can arrange for Larry to ride with you one,  last time. 

That's part of the reason for this race, Lynne has already arranged with me.

5 minutes ago, Ajax said:

I made the comment because Larry heard a great sense of humor. Well, and because he left me the list of final instructions. 

Diffference is you, me, Larry, are friends. I'm not reacting to you. 

39 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

I think you missed Ish's subtle humour.

Nothing subtle there. I like Ish, but it crossed a line with with me. Ish wasn't shipmates. 

3 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

I'm glad Larry had a sense of humour because CL sure doesn't.

And CL, fuck you back.

Wrong reaction. You should apologize. 

3 minutes ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Nothing subtle there. I like Ish, but it crossed a line with with me. Ish wasn't shipmates. 

When my father died, I picked up his ashes at the funeral home and carried them back with me to my business. I put the bag with his remains on the counter, and one of my customers asked where I'd been. I told him I was taking my dad for a walk.

I have a very dark sense of humour. If you don't like it, it's not on me.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

When my father died, I picked up his ashes at the funeral home and carried them back with me to my business. I put the bag with his remains on the counter, and one of my customers asked where I'd been. I told him I was taking my dad for a walk.

I have a very dark sense of humour. If you don't like it, it's not on me.

Bullshit. Your dad  wasn't cremated, he was buried with his ass sticking out of the ground, so his friends could pop in for a cold one.

There, we're good.

37 minutes ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Bullshit. Your dad  wasn't cremated, he was buried with his ass sticking out of the ground, so his friends could pop in for a cold one.

There, we're good.

I talked with my wife tonight, and she gave me some insight into where you're coming from. I'm sorry that I impugned the memory of your friend, and I'm sorry you took my humour as mocking. We all deal with tragedy in a different way. 

Fair winds and smooth seas, you and Larry.

If this isn't enough, then so be it.

• Like 6
15 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

I talked with my wife tonight, and she gave me some insight into where you're coming from. I'm sorry that I impugned the memory of your friend, and I'm sorry you took my humour as mocking. We all deal with tragedy in a different way. 

If this isn't enough, then so be it.

As I said, we're good.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

I still haven't forgiven one of my best friends for getting leukemia and dying on me. The bastard left me with 2 cases of OP rum to drink - we planned on doing that aboard my boat when I got it done.

To add insult to the injury he had his widow send me an extra bottle after the funeral. Left it to me in his will.

It was empty...

FKT

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

It was empty...

Jock McTavish is on his deathbed...

His lifelong pal McGregor is sitting vigil by his side.

With his dying breath McTavish leans over and rasps. "There's a bottle of fine whisky under my bed. When I am gone, pour it over my grave. Promise me you'll do it man."

After a moments consideration McGregor replies. "Aye Jock, I'll do it... Would you mind if I passed it through my kidneys first?"

Spent some time in politics, anyone who takes it seriously hasn’t been there.

Its like a rugby game, it has its own rules, you play for the team and play to win, but at the end of the day everyone drinks at the same bar..

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Mid said:

^

If you don't eat , you don't shit

If you don't shit , you die .

It’s a bit of a circular argument isn’t it?

I suspect Hippocrates actually said “If you don’t fart you are dead” but the irony was lost in the translation..

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

One of the reasons folks get out of racing is that over time they loose their trusty crew

the folks you enjoy sailing with 

13 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

I still haven't forgiven one of my best friends for getting leukemia and dying on me. The bastard left me with 2 cases of OP rum to drink - we planned on doing that aboard my boat when I got it done.

To add insult to the injury he had his widow send me an extra bottle after the funeral. Left it to me in his will.

It was empty...

FKT

Patrick and Conor, two old Irishmen, were sharing some Irish whiskey one afternoon, and became philosophical. Patrick said, "Conor, when I'm gone, on the anniversary of me death, would you pour a glass or two of this fine Irish whiskey on me grave just where me mouth would be?" Conor replied, "Aye, Patrick, I'll do that. But there's one favor I'll ask in return." "And what's that?" asked Patrick. Conor said, "Do you mind if I filter it through me kidneys first?"

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

On 10/23/2021 at 9:57 PM, Ishmael said:

Thanks. Larry wrote me this letter in 2019, I don't think he'd mind me putting it up now, and it may help with understanding how I feel about this special guy. 

SA has a thread about sailing moments. I wrote this for that by decided it was too personal to post but want to share with you. Good friends don’t see each other every day but every day that they are together is special. Thanks for being a great friend. 

“Where to start? First time sailing in an Opti as a young kid and realizing that “this is freedom”, my first solo night watch far from light pollution and experiencing the awe of the Milky Way to a 200 mile match race last week into Bermuda that we won by 10 seconds, 60 years of sailing brings many special moments. One does stand out. 

In early 2017, a cancer diagnosis forced me to drop out of a planned Marion-Bermuda. First surgeon I saw (and supposedly one of the best) called it inoperable and gave me less than a year. Thank god for second opinions!  12 rounds of high dose inpatient chemo, radiation and a 6 hour surgery had me to the point where it took a transfusion to get my body ready for the next chemo round. In just over a year, I spent about 70 days in the hospital and about the same sequestered at home with a nearly non existent immune system. Finished treatment on 1 June of 2017, “cancer free” and weak as shit. 

In July, I got a call from a great friend with a sweet boat telling me he needed me to drive a classic regatta in late August. I really wasn’t up for it and used all of the excuses. Too weak, off my game, out of practice. He wouldn’t take no for an answer so I finally drug my carcass to Newport and fronted up.  First day was a bit shaky after nearly 2 years off the water. Got dialed in on day 2 and won the start against some legendary boats, beating several much quicker boats to the windward mark. Had 4 days of great sailing.  Crossing tacks with Dorade, a couple of 12’s, Big Ti, Blue Pete, etc. For 8 hours a day, I wasn’t recovering from cancer, I wasn’t at risk of dying.  I was sailing a great boat with a better friend. I don’t remember where in the mid fleet we finished but that weekend, I put sickness behind me and started living again. My loved ones and some great doctors and nurses got me through the disease.  Sailing restarted my life.  Some seasons are short.  Some are full of great moments. Some you end up missing.  

Sailing isn’t moments. Sailing is life.”

• Like 12
20 minutes ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Thanks. Larry wrote me this letter in 2019, I don't think he'd mind me putting it up now, and it may help with understanding how I feel about this special guy. 

Amen brother, amen.

• Like 1

This is The Way.

Larry was an excellent mentor to me. It's taken me months to stop my brain from saying "I should ask Larry about..." and "I can't wait to tell Larry..."

Instead of sucking the joy out of sailing by telling me all the shit I shouldn't do, and how I needed to prep my boat for 2 years just to sail across the Chesapeake Bay, when I would buy a boat, Larry would say "Just sail the damned thing. You'll figure out what's broken and needs fixing."

Read my lips people:  Go. Fucking. Sailing.

I lost two friends to cancer this year. I had colon cancer at 35 and surgery to remove it.  I'm presently under evaluation for glaucoma. Mabye I'll lose my eyesight. Just last night, I got caught up in a drive-by shooting in Annapolis after attending a sailing club meeting. No more than 30 yards away. A parade of ambulances came to haul people away. I'm not joking.

Tomorrow is promised to no one. Tell your boss to fuck off (except for CL because he is the boss) and go sailing.

• Like 11
On 10/24/2021 at 5:40 AM, olaf hart said:

Spent some time in politics, anyone who takes it seriously hasn’t been there.

Its like a rugby game, it has its own rules, you play for the team and play to win, but at the end of the day everyone drinks at the same bar..

I am late to the dance, but holy shit, this, a thousand times over.  I still work in D.C. as a lawyer and have friends on both sides of the aisle, including some who (unlike me) didn't leave the political work behind.  What we have in common is the realization you express that the team arrangement and all the rah rah shit is bogus, it's mostly for purposes of assembling a governing majority - and the actual business of government occurs roughly a thousand miles away from from the politics.  The nastier and louder it is, the more the base of each faction shouts, and prepares to whip out a checkbook.  The Rah Rah amateurs in both parties make me cringe because they condition the public to think that is what government is about, when in reality, it's arbitraging the equities of a lot of stakeholders, most of whom have valid positions.  

I have friends on the Hill including a couple pollsters who are on the other side of the aisle - ironically enough, several of these friends are old rugby buddies.  Go figure. 

6 hours ago, Lex Teredo said:

I am late to the dance, but holy shit, this, a thousand times over.  I still work in D.C. as a lawyer and have friends on both sides of the aisle, including some who (unlike me) didn't leave the political work behind.  What we have in common is the realization you express that the team arrangement and all the rah rah shit is bogus, it's mostly for purposes of assembling a governing majority - and the actual business of government occurs roughly a thousand miles away from from the politics.  The nastier and louder it is, the more the base of each faction shouts, and prepares to whip out a checkbook.  The Rah Rah amateurs in both parties make me cringe because they condition the public to think that is what government is about, when in reality, it's arbitraging the equities of a lot of stakeholders, most of whom have valid positions.  

I have friends on the Hill including a couple pollsters who are on the other side of the aisle - ironically enough, several of these friends are old rugby buddies.  Go figure. 

Yep, the political tragics really lose the plot when I spell this out to them, it destroys their reason for existence.

On the rugby side, the game is the official sport of the Russian army for a good reason, teaches a lot of life skills.

I recall seeing a British Army training film after the Falklands war, the CO of the Royal Marines, who are heading south on a cruise liner, was talking about their strategic planning sessions, and how the Argentinian Army were an unknown quantity…

”Then one of the chaps said he had been down there and they played a good game of rugger, so we knew we were in for a fight”…

• Like 1
On 11/5/2021 at 5:49 AM, Ajax said:

This is The Way.

Larry was an excellent mentor to me. It's taken me months to stop my brain from saying "I should ask Larry about..." and "I can't wait to tell Larry..."

Instead of sucking the joy out of sailing by telling me all the shit I shouldn't do, and how I needed to prep my boat for 2 years just to sail across the Chesapeake Bay, when I would buy a boat, Larry would say "Just sail the damned thing. You'll figure out what's broken and needs fixing."

Read my lips people:  Go. Fucking. Sailing.

I lost two friends to cancer this year. I had colon cancer at 35 and surgery to remove it.  I'm presently under evaluation for glaucoma. Mabye I'll lose my eyesight. Just last night, I got caught up in a drive-by shooting in Annapolis after attending a sailing club meeting. No more than 30 yards away. A parade of ambulances came to haul people away. I'm not joking.

Tomorrow is promised to no one. Tell your boss to fuck off (except for CL because he is the boss) and go sailing.

Or, more succinctly, “Inaction in the face of fleeting opportunity is a crime.” (Bill Tilman)

On 11/5/2021 at 5:12 PM, olaf hart said:

Yep, the political tragics really lose the plot when I spell this out to them, it destroys their reason for existence.

On the rugby side, the game is the official sport of the Russian army for a good reason, teaches a lot of life skills.

I recall seeing a British Army training film after the Falklands war, the CO of the Royal Marines, who are heading south on a cruise liner, was talking about their strategic planning sessions, and how the Argentinian Army were an unknown quantity…

”Then one of the chaps said he had been down there and they played a good game of rugger, so we knew we were in for a fight”…

Due to some oddities in where US troops got stationed in the waning years of the Cold War I was on a British garrison that had a solid team sponsored by a Welsh Colonel.  As it was a garrison side with multiple military units drawn from several area posts that had strong talent when everybody was in from the field, we played mostly against the top tier of military sides and thinly veiled representative sides... Worst individual beat down came at the hands of a Wales pool loose head who played for the Welsh Gunners or maybe Royal Regt. of Wales.  busted up my rib cartilage.  Worst beat down at the hands of a team came from the Parachute Regiment, I was bruised head to toe.  I think we won both of those games but I lost a lot of my matchups.    We used to regularly beat on an RAF representative side that featured Rory Underwood and I am probably one of the few tight heads that ever abused him on wing - I was fast and had the job of being second man in defense every time the ball went his way.   Our hooker was Army, Combined Services and briefly in the England pool and we sent teams that did well at the Amsterdam and Dubai Sevens.   For a tough young Yank who loved rugger but didn't know the game too well at that time,  this was more or less heaven. Key life lessons:

1)  Always go to where the ball is going, never to where it is

2) Good or bad, respect all opponents

3) Play clean, but don't be afraid to go dirty to punish cheaters. Never go dirty first but never lose the race to the bottom, particularly to protect a teammate

4) Fear no man, but hit the weight room year round and bring a mouth guard, this ain't beanbag

5) Bring antiseptic and bandaids to games against French teams. Their cleats aren't dull and the jokes about cowardice ain't true. 

Good times mate. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Maybe of Interest ?

This Thursday, Nov 18 @ 730PM EST/430PM PST, Chris Bedford and Peter Isler will be giving a free seminar sponsored by North Sails on the weather, strategy and navigation in one of the world's oldest and most prestigious ocean races - 600 miles across the Gulf Stream from Newport Rhode Island to Bermuda.... the Newport to Bermuda Race.

Register for the Newport to Bermuda Webinar (for free) here

• Like 2
37 minutes ago, Mid said:

Maybe of Interest ?

This Thursday, Nov 18 @ 730PM EST/430PM PST, Chris Bedford and Peter Isler will be giving a free seminar sponsored by North Sails on the weather, strategy and navigation in one of the world's oldest and most prestigious ocean races - 600 miles across the Gulf Stream from Newport Rhode Island to Bermuda.... the Newport to Bermuda Race.

Thank you, sir! I had not seen that. 

• Like 1
On 11/15/2021 at 2:18 PM, Mid said:

Maybe of Interest ?

Well crap, 300 people were already in the meeting, that's the max.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, bmiller said:

Well crap, 300 people were already in the meeting, that's the max.

Gotta add you to the email list. We're docking at RHADC, the Litpo is full but Timbo is looking for other rooms nearby. 

1 hour ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Gotta add you to the email list. We're docking at RHADC, the Litpo is full but Timbo is looking for other rooms nearby. 

Copy that. Gonna be tough to match the character of Litpo.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

On 10/23/2021 at 3:34 PM, Cruisin Loser said:

...because we each respect the other as a rational, intelligent person with well thought positions and speaking in good faith with no intention to inflame or insult. We both seek better understanding of the thought processes of those with whom we disagree.

What planet are you two from any way? I heard that humans used to do this. it was even normal to behave this way!

• Like 1
On 1/16/2022 at 7:48 PM, Bela Brisa said:

Still looking for crew? The thread went a little off topic…

I've been gone for some weeks. 

The race and return are full. We do frequent overnights across the Gulf of Maine, and sometimes crew spots for Classics racing in Maine pop open. Last year we did the Castine-Camden Wooden Boat Race with 3, one of who was a lovely gal I picked up on the dock who had never been aboard a sailboat before. I spent the prestart teaching her how to steer the boat, she ended up driving 2 mark roundings, did a good job. You can PM if interested. The boat is this:

L1030936-1.thumb.JPG.ca2c1b54f346a32fa0b17e4bd49382c1.JPG

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

I've been gone for some weeks. 

The race and return are full. We do frequent overnights across the Gulf of Maine, and sometimes crew spots for Classics racing in Maine pop open. Last year we did the Castine-Camden Wooden Boat Race with 3, one of who was a lovely gal I picked up on the dock who had never been aboard a sailboat before. I spent the prestart teaching her how to steer the boat, she ended up driving 2 mark roundings, did a good job. You can PM if interested. The boat is this:

L1030936-1.thumb.JPG.ca2c1b54f346a32fa0b17e4bd49382c1.JPG

Don't be fooled by those pretty classic looks. Restive is a wolf in (very fine) sheep's clothing. She's the best of both worlds.

I have to race against her to Bermuda in June.

This is what she looks like under the water:

Restive in slings.jpeg

• Like 1

I still wish I had the ability to maintain my boats as well as CL, but life can make you compromise and I love that he offers so much to anyone who is willing to participate. Cool guyB). I do what I can in the same regard…the boat is for enjoyment, so why not make it available for others to experience? 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, accnick said:

Don't be fooled by those pretty classic looks. Restive is a wolf in (very fine) sheep's clothing. She's the best of both worlds.

I have to race against her to Bermuda in June.

This is what she looks like under the water:

Restive in slings.jpeg

That's a stab from the past, not her best day. I was there but she wasn't mine, yet. First time I met Steve White.

Two days before I'd pulled her crew of 5 out of a life raft in the Gulf Stream. 

Not sure where/how you found that pic.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

That's a stab from the past, not her best day. I was there but she wasn't mine, yet. First time I met Steve White.

Two days before I'd pulled her crew of 5 out of a life raft in the Gulf Stream. 

Not sure where/how you found that pic.

Sorry, I didn't realize that picture was tied to that event. It was the only picture I could find of her out of the water.

22 minutes ago, cianclarke said:

http://restive-alden-48.blogspot.com/ -> rescue at sea

..and I'm just a lurker here

Yeah, actually that's not my site. A Canadian anarchist friend, fantastic guy, made it on his own initiative some years ago. I haven't talked to him in several years. I guess the internets just last forever. 

It does no harm but is certainly out of date. 

2 minutes ago, accnick said:

Sorry, I didn't realize that picture was tied to that event. It was the only picture I could find of her out of the water.

No worries! I still sail with the PO, and visit the crew we picked up regularly. We're all great friends, even though they're bluebloods and I'm oilfield trash. There are pics around...

20200617_114128-1.thumb.jpg.196d63a7cd5f10cb2c6527e79f8ed071.jpg

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Yeah, actually that's not my site. A Canadian anarchist friend, fantastic guy, made it on his own initiative some years ago. I haven't talked to him in several years. I guess the internets just last forever. 

It does no harm but is certainly out of date. 

No worries! I still sail with the PO, and visit the crew we picked up regularly. We're all great friends, even though they're bluebloods and I'm oilfield trash. There are pics around...

20200617_114128-1.thumb.jpg.196d63a7cd5f10cb2c6527e79f8ed071.jpg

"Oilfield trash"

I like that. My late former father-in-law was one of those, too.

15 hours ago, ProaSailor said:

I hadn't read that in a couple of years, Jamie has changed it some. 

The author's great-grandfather was this guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_G._Blaine , today best remembered for the Blaine Amendments written to prevent public school funds from going to parochial schools.

I hadn't read that in a couple of years, Jamie has changed it some. 

The author's great-grandfather was this guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_G._Blaine , today best remembered for the Blaine Amendments written to prevent public school funds from going to parochial schools.

The author does ramble on, for sure.

However, what comes through is the stunning feat of good seamanship this rescue was.

First, for Sparky's captain's willingness to put his own boat and the safety of his own crew at risk to save fellow sailor sailors, and second, to pull off a textbook rescue in difficult conditions.

Really nicely done, CL.

It doesn't hurt that you fund a great boat in the process, does it?

• Like 1
19 hours ago, accnick said:

"Oilfield trash"

I like that. My late former father-in-law was one of those, too.

One man’s oilfield trash is another’s oilfield treasure. 

We don’t get too many oilmen here, so we have to enjoy our Texan here!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, accnick said:

Really nicely done, CL.

It doesn't hurt that you found a great boat in the process, does it?

Thanks, very much. 

That second part wasn't my idea. I was perfectly happy (I thought) with Sparky. Then George called, said he was getting out of offshore sailing and that he wanted me to have Restive. We were reluctant, at first, as Sparky was our family boat with great memories. We did the ERR on Restive that summer and afterwards went cruising in company, switching boats a couple of days so Beth could see how she liked Restive. At the end I asked her what she thought and she said "it's fate, do it." I LOVE this girl. We did the deal.

That New Years day I had dinner with George and asked him why he had been so determined to see me with Restive. He said "First, you get her, you understand why I built her, why she exists, and you'll keep her sailing, she won't be a dock queen. Second, you can afford her, afford the maintenance, no trivial matter. Third, it's the perfect ending to a great sea story, isn't it?"

Yes, it is. 

• Like 4

Thanks, very much. 

That second part wasn't my idea. I was perfectly happy (I thought) with Sparky. Then George called, said he was getting out of offshore sailing and that he wanted me to have Restive. We were reluctant, at first, as Sparky was our family boat with great memories. We did the ERR on Restive that summer and afterwards went cruising in company, switching boats a couple of days so Beth could see how she liked Restive. At the end I asked her what she thought and she said "it's fate, do it." I LOVE this girl. We did the deal.

That New Years day I had dinner with George and asked him why he had been so determined to see me with Restive. He said "First, you get her, you understand why I built her, why she exists, and you'll keep her sailing, she won't be a dock queen. Second, you can afford her, afford the maintenance, no trivial matter. Third, it's the perfect ending to a great sea story, isn't it?"

Yes, it is. 

That's not Sparky for sale on the Great Lakes right now, is it?

18 minutes ago, accnick said:

That's not Sparky for sale on the Great Lakes right now, is it?

No. Sparky/Serendipity was sold a couple of months ago, on the market for less than a week. Got a very high price, of course she's in great condition, new motor, paint, sails, fabrics, genset, etc...

15 minutes ago, Cruisin Loser said:

No. Sparky/Serendipity was sold a couple of months ago, on the market for less than a week. Got a very high price, of course she's in great condition, new motor, paint, sails, fabrics, genset, etc...

Any boat designed by Jim McCurdy is a good boat in my book. I got to sail a Bermuda Race with him in 1988 on Selkie, his own custom build by Concordia.

He was an old-school yachtsman. No pressure water on the boat, but a really good refrigeration system for making ice cubes for his drinks.

His daughter Sheila now owns Selkie. You'll see her on the starting line of the for the Newport Bermuda Race in June.

McCurdy & Rhodes designs are fast, beautiful, and seaworthy, no matter who built them.

• Like 1

I'll just leave this here as I can't find a more suitable thread ?

Preparing for Newport to Bermuda 2022

Navigation, Strategy, Weather, Safety, Sails and more

Lecture and course curriculum is online now!

Presented by 2x America's Cup winning navigator (and Newport to Bermuda) record setter: Peter Isler

with historical weather presentation by meteorologist, Chris Bedford & support from world class navigator & marine electronics expert, Artie Means.

https://isleracademy.teachable.com/p/preparing-for-n2b