Shipping containers...lost...approx. 40 of thrn

With the delays offloading in San Diego and other ports, will these get ashore sooner than their shipmates? Are consignees paying to have their cargo jettisoned at sea so as to have merchandise on hand in time for Christmas? 

• Like 1

It looks like Armageddon currently in the N. Pacific...40 shipping containers drifting, some of which are reported to have contact-with-water combustible metals/materials in them; a bunch of deep lows colliding left, right and centre and rapidly intensifying and bringing storm to hurricane force winds; 34 foot seas; freezing spray/icing; dense fog.   Even a tropical storm/hurricane out there.

And, get this, volcanic eruptions - in both Russia and Alaska - ash obscuring the sky and possible floating volcanic debris.  The 72 hour forecast might have mighty Neptune himself rising from the depths with his trident in hand like a spear about to be thrown... :-)

Stay home. Just don’t go anywhere.  Lock your doors.  Re-read the anchor thread.  I may have missed additional Armageddon-like events unfolding, like large pods of rabid killer whales approaching coastal cities on the attack...

HURRICANE FORCE WIND WARNING... .24 HOUR FORECAST LOW 48N172E 970 MB. WITHIN 240 NM SE...AND 120 NM SW AND W QUADRANTS WINDS 50 TO 65 KT. SEAS 22 TO 34 FT.

.COMPLEX LOW WITH FIRST LOW 55N153W 968 MB MOVING SE 10 KT AND
SECOND LOW 55N141W 970 MB MOVING NW 20 KT AND TURNING S AFTER 12
HOURS. 
ERUPTIVE ACTIVITY HAS BEEN DETECTED AT THE SEMISOPOCHNOI
VOLCANO WHICH IS LOCATED NEAR 51.9N 179.6E OR 140 NM W OF
ADAK ALASKA. TRACE AMOUNTS OF ASHFALL ARE POSSIBLE IN THE
MARINE AREAS NEAR THE VOLCANO. MARINERS TRAVELING IN THE 
VICINITY OF SEMISOPOCHNOI ARE URGED TO EXERCISE CAUTION. 
PLEASE REPORT ANY OBSERVATIONS OF VOLCANIC ASH OR FLOATING 
VOLCANIC DEBRIS

.ERUPTIVE ACTIVITY HAS BEEN DETECTED AT THE KARYMSKY VOLCANO
WHICH IS LOCATED NEAR 54.0N 159.3E OVER THE SOUTHEASTERN
KAMCHATKA PENINSULA. TRACE AMOUNTS OF ASHFALL ARE POSSIBLE
IN THE MARINE AREAS E OF THE VOLCANO. MARINERS TRAVELING IN THE
VICINITY OF KARYMSKY ARE URGED TO EXERCISE CAUTION.

.DENSE FOG. VSBY OCCASIONALLY LESS THAN 1 NM 

...HURRICANE WARNING...
.TROPICAL STORM RICK NEAR 13.9N 101.4W 993 MB AT 0900 UTC OCT 23
MOVING NNW OR 330 DEG AT 5 KT. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS 60 KT
GUSTS
75 KT

4EBCBD5F-0921-430B-9A05-D181D61E54F1.gif

D0C7E86B-CE7A-4017-9072-7B3144B3E589.jpeg

E8634467-514C-443A-9ECE-2446956EF42B.png

3C3AE98B-B8B8-4F7E-832C-459AB5F2A7A3.png

9C0D8500-9A2C-4203-85F0-10DB7C649BE0.jpeg

2139902D-38BF-4B30-ADA7-5C26832DC38A.jpeg

21 minutes ago, hdra said:

Just to make it even better, the ZIM Kingston (which lost the containers) is now anchored off of Victoria and is on fire....

https://www.cheknews.ca/fire-breaks-out-on-cargo-vessel-that-lost-shipping-containers-near-vancouver-island-903057/

Holy f*ck!  That is hilarious - but not at all in a good way!  Basically, my hunch that the Pacific Ocean is currently in Armageddon dumpster fire mode was right... :-)  

• Like 1

And to make it even more interesting...

Gale warning in effect.

Wind southwest 10 to 20 knots becoming easterly 15 early this evening then increasing to southeast 15 to 25 near midnight. Wind increasing to east 25 to 35 early Sunday morning.

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

And to make it even more interesting...

And Sunday for us. Should make for an interesting day. No doubt our power will go out. And the storm is going to make for an even higher high tide.

SUN...E wind 30 to 40 kt rising to 35 to 45 kt in the afternoon. 

That big boy could quite easily end up on the beach with the biblical storm that is approaching.  No crew on board to run engines or add more anchors.   They need to get that thing under tow asap.  

Anybody know what the end result was?  Did the entire crew evacuate?  The captain said he wanted to leave minimum crew aboard. 

6 hours ago, Rain Man said:

That big boy could quite easily end up on the beach with the biblical storm that is approaching.  No crew on board to run engines or add more anchors.   They need to get that thing under tow asap.  

Anybody know what the end result was?  Did the entire crew evacuate?  The captain said he wanted to leave minimum crew aboard. 

1 a.m. PST - just walked in the door after realizing not would be a good idea to bring the boat from my mooring to my winter slip given the impending winds...

Latest update.  Fire still burning but the fire is only in the containers, not the actual ship:

https://www.cheknews.ca/fire-breaks-out-on-cargo-vessel-that-lost-shipping-containers-near-vancouver-island-903057/

Now they’re saying that only four containers - two in the water, two on board - have the amyl-xanthate.  If so, possibly just a matter of containment until it burns out.

8 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

Isn't losing 40 containers a bit amateur?

These days, the pros lose hundreds of containers.

Well, they made up for it by igniting those containers still aboard the ship (containing potassium amylxanthate, a mining chemical that, it turns out, emits a flammable gas...upon contact with water...oops...)

E23A0959-860B-42E3-83B8-C11E0EC5C9C5.png

• Like 1

I'm only going to update the thread in SA from now on, it's a hassle keeping two threads going.

Latest update is that 109 containers went overboard instead of 40.

They seem to be stacked 5 high by maybe 12 across and have lost most of one 'bay'. Some are still on board so that looks like 50 lost. Maybe someone is counting in TEUs.

15 minutes ago, Cisco said:

They seem to be stacked 5 high by maybe 12 across and have lost most of one 'bay'. Some are still on board so that looks like 50 lost. Maybe someone is counting in TEUs.

There seems to be another two bays that lost a bunch. Latest numbers I saw totaled 106, drifting northward parallel to the coast. The CG says they expect all of them to sink.

Seems like a couple of strafing runs by the birds down there on Whidbey could take care of the problem right quick. I'm sure our Canadian neighbors wouldn't mind...

3 hours ago, Ishmael said:

There seems to be another two bays that lost a bunch. Latest numbers I saw totaled 106, drifting northward parallel to the coast. The CG says they expect all of them to sink.

So no decent looting opportunities, then?

Remote coastal communities need the odd wreck as a bonus

Dunno... the time Nikes started washing up on the beach was pretty good - as long as you could find matching pairs.  But stuff like water-logged flat screen TV's are just annoying trash.  

17 minutes ago, toddster said:

Dunno... the time Nikes started washing up on the beach was pretty good - as long as you could find matching pairs.  But stuff like water-logged flat screen TV's are just annoying trash.  

Yabbut, didn't those often have a human foot still in them?

2 hours ago, toddster said:

A Harley made it from Japan after the Fukushima tsunami. :D

3 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

A Harley made it from Japan after the Fukushima tsunami. :D

Yeah, but as “found art.”  Not as a motorcycle.  

high-res_jpg_-_132196_019.jpg

I guess you could make “art” out of that other shit too.  But maybe not a whole container load of it.

Which reminds me, I picked up a couple of Japanese glass fishing floats on the beach as a kid. They were on the shelf in my room when I went off to cowledge.  Wonder if they’re still around the farm anywhere?  

On 10/28/2021 at 4:39 PM, toddster said:

Yeah, but as “found art.”  Not as a motorcycle.  

high-res_jpg_-_132196_019.jpg

So how does that differ from any other Harley, then?

FKT

2 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

So how does that differ from any other Harley, then?

FKT

There are way too many embarrassing wannabes in the Harley world for sure. 

There are some riders too. I did a Bun Burner Gold on an Electraglide Ultra and it was a very good choice for the ride.

BBG = 1,500+ miles in < 24 hours.

1 hour ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

That's an unusually good article.  There must have been a lot of time and effort was put into researching it, which is depressingly rare these days.

17 hours ago, Autonomous said:

There are way too many embarrassing wannabes in the Harley world for sure. 

There are some riders too. I did a Bun Burner Gold on an Electraglide Ultra and it was a very good choice for the ride.

BBG = 1,500+ miles in < 24 hours.

Yah, that might be the right bike for that ride. 

The stock seat sucked for more than a 90 minute ride but the Mustang seat I installed was great. The factory windshield sheds vortices like mad but an aftermarket one with compound curves really made a difference. I don't remember the brand but it is the one Klock Werks copied. The Seer helmet was a big deal too. Zero discomfort on a day long ride.

And cruise control... yes!