Jump to content

Recommended Posts

After a disgustingly long hot dry smoky summer we finally got some rain. A drought busting,  fire killing snowpackin' rain. That's like money falling out of the sky.

I felt like running out and dancing naked in it, but I didn't because it was too cold. 

Bloody Hallelujah ! :)

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

How is Lake Mead doing?

Lake Powell and Mead get most of their water from the Rocky's runoff and snow melt.

Here is a great view of the storm. You can see the moisture being sucked up and aiming just south of Conception right now.

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/isobaric/1000hPa/orthographic=-124.05,44.61,351

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's been raining sing May 29th here. Actually got 3 days in a row w/o rain until yesterday, and today.

I would be fine if we got a few weeks w/o rain.

 So much rain that my head lamp, and tail lamp assemblies on my truck look like aquariums. The majority of the bulbs blown out. I've replaced them 4 times this summer. I finally just ordered new assemblies.

I'm glad for you guys out west. unfortunately heavy rain with no ground cover tends to just run off, and/or cause land slides.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, El Borracho said:

Yup. 12 inches (24 hrs) here in burned Big Sur. And warmer than summer. And the highway is still open...odd. 

Wife and I drove it two weeks ago, Carmel to Cambria.. I think they fixed it all while it was closed.. but then again, that road is like playing whack-o-mole with landslides.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, pbd said:

How about now?

Coming down in buckets in my neighborhood. 

You inland a little? They said those communities would get more. Still only a drizzle here in HB/SB. Steady but I’d hardly call it rain. Still good weather for our meatloaf, baked tater with mushrooms onions and sour cream with the last of the roasted beets on the side. We’ll hop in the jacuzzi with some cocktails soon and then inside to a fire with meatloaf cooking. I’m good. B)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Point Break said:

You inland a little? They said those communities would get more. Still only a drizzle here in HB/SB. Steady but I’d hardly call it rain. Still good weather for our meatloaf, baked tater with mushrooms onions and sour cream with the last of the roasted beets on the side. We’ll hop in the jacuzzi with some cocktails soon and then inside to a fire with meatloaf cooking. I’m good. B)

Tell me more about these "roasted beets" please.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hobot said:

Tell me more about these "roasted beets" please.

Way easy. Select beets….I usually use all red unless company is coming then orange as well. Doesn’t taste much different to me but in a salad with goat cheese and a few other things (red onions and a few nuts of your choosing) the presentation is nicer. Anyway back to roasting. Cut the greens off the top (never buy beets where they have already cut the greens off…that means the greens got skanky so no one will buy them with droopy greens…..some people also use the greens for various things…..I don’t…..…that means the beets are old). Oh….when I get the beets home if I’m going to store them and cook in a few days, I cut the greens down to just a stem above the intact top. Easier to store. Wash the beets enthusiastically and then cut off the top and bottom of the beet. Just a little bit, about the size of a quarter. Don’t try to peel now…it’s easier later. Oh……and wear disposable gloves…..beet juice at this point will stain everything including your fingers. Wash your cutting board right after prep and you won’t have a staining problem there. So now the beets have just a little cut off the very top and bottom. Put them on a tin foil sheet spaced an inch or so apart. Cover them with another sheet and seal by folding edges. If one or more beets are remarkably different size, wrap separately because they’ll roast faster. Middle rack in 400 degree oven on a baking sheet in case of leaks (never had any) for about an hour. I start checking with a toothpick right through the top of the foil around 45 minutes. They are done when the toothpick goes in with just a little resistance. Big ones take about 60-70 minutes. A little smaller around 45-60. Take them out of the oven, open the tin foil and sit to cool enough to handle takes about 5-10 minutes. NOW take each beet and a paper towel (gloves again). You can literally wipe the skin off with ease. Takes about 15 seconds per beet. Into your favorite food storage container and into the frig. They will be good for 3 or 4 days. We eat them as a side dish, in salads, and as the star of a beet salad (diced beets, red onions diced, English cucumbers peeled and diced, kalamata olives sliced or whole (pitted only), and goat or any other cheese you favor. Add olive oil and aged balsamic vinegar and toss. Serve with crusty bread of your choice….we use sourdough). 

Anyway the whole roasting process is 5 minutes of prep, an hour in the oven, 10 minutes to cool and 5 minutes to peel. I usually do 6 beets. 

Love em. Never eat them raw……or in tacos. :blink:

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ishmael said:

You can make some really interesting food with various beets. Many people will still hate them, but they are fun to look at. So are the beets.

Beet_Rainbow_Mixture_975x.jpg?v=15365081

When I was trying to qualify for Boston Marathon I decided to try the beet diet. It supposedly Improves your blood's ability to carry oxygen and can improve your endurance performance by 10 percent. 

I love roasted, baked and pickled beets, but drinking beet juice is the most foul tasting shit. Almost triggered my gag reflex just thinking about it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Off Watch said:

When I was trying to qualify for Boston Marathon I decided to try the beet diet. It supposedly Improves your blood's ability to carry oxygen and can improve your endurance performance by 10 percent. 

I love roasted, baked and pickled beets, but drinking beet juice is the most foul tasting shit. Almost triggered my gag reflex just thinking about it. 

Broccoli soup is the gag for me. I can smell it a block away, reminds me of hot and rainy days in the greenhouse counting mustard seeds and listening to vegetables rot. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Broccoli soup is the gag for me. I can smell it a block away, reminds me of hot and rainy days in the greenhouse counting mustard seeds and listening to vegetables rot. 

I macke excellente creame of broccoli soupe,  Mrs. Snaggy loves it to.                                  :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

I macke excellente creame of broccoli soupe,  Mrs. Snaggy loves it to.                                  :)

Nothing beats a good broccoli soup.  Bowgirl makes an outstanding one as well.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Very rainy night here on the Gulf Coast even by our standards! Nearest station about 3 mile North is showing 1.5" rain per hour now and we are just getting into the new front. 2"/hour in the cell approaching from the West. Hopefully moves on and doesn't linger around like the last big system came through. Lighting pretty impressive and the local TV stations are on full time 'Red Alert' and tracking rotational cells and waterspouts. Sometimes I don't miss sleeping on my boat in weather like this!

Wish I had some nice beets... I like that photo earlier so played around with it my watercolor program.

 

image.thumb.png.b954073c38d817072b2eee56a30ac6ce.png

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rasputin22 said:

Sometimes I don't miss sleeping on my boat in weather like this!

Yep…..I have to say, when we lived aboard and the wind and rain were howling…….some say the rain on the hull and the halyards slapping or the mast whistling was……nice and cozy below decks. I would just scratch my head and think….no…..I don’t think so. Now toss in the boat fenders scraping the dock and the dock lines squeaking on the cleats and……..no thanks. The other 90% of the time…..pure joy, but that winter storm 10%……

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Yep…..I have to say, when we lived aboard and the wind and rain were howling…….some say the rain on the hull and the halyards slapping or the mast whistling was……nice and cozy below decks. I would just scratch my head and think….no…..I don’t think so. Now toss in the boat fenders scraping the dock and the dock lines squeaking on the cleats and……..no thanks. The other 90% of the time…..pure joy, but that winter storm 10%……

Yeah... but no worries about a flooded basement.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...