What is this thing for on my J/111 ?

I'm trying to figure out what this screw thing is for on my 2011 US made J/111. It's on the top of the cabin house near and above the forward end of the lead car track. There is one on each side. I think it is leaking, and wondering if I should just get rid of it before it destroys my core.

IMG_3516.JPG

IMG_3517.JPG

7 hours ago, hrothgar said:

No idea.  My boat doesn't have that.  You also have a strap down by the end of the jib track.  We don't have that either.

I'm guessing someone added the eye for a bungee cord or something.

6 hours ago, BobJ said:

Does it go into one end of a belowdecks grab rail?  Maybe the cabintop grab rail stud does double duty at the other end?

No I don't think it does, its further forward than the handrail inside. 

Thanks guys, I'm going to get rid of these and fill the holes with epoxy or something. Seems to me they do nothing but provide a potential leak.

11 hours ago, George Dewey said:

I'm guessing someone added the eye for a bungee cord or something.

No I don't think it does, its further forward than the handrail inside. 

Thanks guys, I'm going to get rid of these and fill the holes with epoxy or something. Seems to me they do nothing but provide a potential leak.

With no load on it, its unlikely to leak for a long time. 
You might find that they look smarter fitted as they are then whatever epoxy you use to fill it. Gelcoat non skid repairs are tricky to get right. 

On 10/26/2021 at 10:59 AM, MiddayGun said:

With no load on it, its unlikely to leak for a long time. 
You might find that they look smarter fitted as they are then whatever epoxy you use to fill it. Gelcoat non skid repairs are tricky to get right. 

Well sadly it may already be leaking. Inside, at the forward end of the port bunk, it looks like someone at one time mounted a pad eye, maybe for lee cloths, but it has pulled off leaving two holes. When it rains hard, a little water drips out of those holes. I need to find and fix that ASAP, before the core becomes seriously damaged. I plan to use a hose and work my way up, but every other potential leak source is below those holes. Hopefully I can use a vacuum pump to boil and suck the water out, then seal it up. Maybe bring some epoxy in as well. As of now it still feels solid so I'm optimistic.

3 minutes ago, steele said:

The screw may have been part of an in-hauler set up for the jib sheet. The strap is for attaching a shock cord to pull the jib car forward.

Ah, didn't think of that. That's a good bet. 

I was at the marina and took this shot today, a J99 on my dock. In your case the strap at the forward end of the track is probably for the in-hauler. On my 109 it is the forward attachement point for the shock cord that pulls the car back, not forward as I wrote. The cord goes to the aft end of the track through a block then forward to the car. The screw may not be part of the system, although this boat also has one, not sure why. IMG_4457.jpg.f2143f68e7bc202ab9153ea4b2814910.jpg

If you figure out the leak please post here. Although I have a 109, I may also have a leak at the forward port bunk (settee berth). I do not have a screw or any other penetration anywhere close, so I suspect it came from the mast collar at the deck penetration. I recall yours was completely unsealed so it may be the culprit. 

4 hours ago, steele said:

If you figure out the leak please post here. Although I have a 109, I may also have a leak at the forward port bunk (settee berth). I do not have a screw or any other penetration anywhere close, so I suspect it came from the mast collar at the deck penetration. I recall yours was completely unsealed so it may be the culprit. 

I'll post what I find.

On 10/25/2021 at 4:41 PM, BobJ said:

Does it go into one end of a belowdecks grab rail?  Maybe the cabintop grab rail stud does double duty at the other end?

This. Mystery solved. A crew member pointed out that, if I measure properly, I see that it's a thru bolt for a handrail inside. I don't know if its aftermarket original. The leak is from a tack line fairlead. A little flex tape stopped it temporarily and I'll be rebedding it tomorrow, weather permitting. We had a downpour yesterday and I was able to get on the boat and find a few small leaks.

• Like 1