Jump to content

Recommended Posts

So, has anyone ever seen, built etc a floating sailboat lift.  Looking for a floating lift that can lift a sailboat 1-2 ft out of the water. Does not need to lift it all the way out, but that would be a plus.   Looking for said lift so I can buy a deeper draft boat than my the dock at my house will accomodate.  Would put the boat on the at a mooring or local club dock and then power it back to my house where it would normally be kept.

GO!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Wildfire68 said:

So, has anyone ever seen, built etc a floating sailboat lift.  Looking for a floating lift that can lift a sailboat 1-2 ft out of the water. Does not need to lift it all the way out, but that would be a plus.   Looking for said lift so I can buy a deeper draft boat than my the dock at my house will accomodate.  Would put the boat on the at a mooring or local club dock and then power it back to my house where it would normally be kept.

GO!

How is this going to work? You want to keep a deeper draft boat in your slip than the depth of your slip... OK, it can sit there just fine but when you want to take it out sailing, you............... what, exactly?

FB- Doug

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve seen a Santa Cruz 70 use float bags and straps to reduce her draft enough to get out of a travel lift well one year when water levels were low. With a little clever engineering, you could probably figure out some variation of that that could work. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

How is this going to work? You want to keep a deeper draft boat in your slip than the depth of your slip... OK, it can sit there just fine but when you want to take it out sailing, you............... what, exactly?

FB- Doug

Quote

Would put the boat on the at a mooring or local club dock and then power it back to my house where it would normally be kept.

 

reading comprehension?

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

 

reading comprehension?

Don't think so.

The OP said:

9 hours ago, Wildfire68 said:

So, has anyone ever seen, built etc a floating sailboat lift.  Looking for a floating lift that can lift a sailboat 1-2 ft out of the water. Does not need to lift it all the way out, but that would be a plus.   Looking for said lift so I can buy a deeper draft boat than my the dock at my house will accomodate.  Would put the boat on the at a mooring or local club dock and then power it back to my house where it would normally be kept.

GO!

No mention of tide, maybe we should assume that's in the picture?

He says, the water at his dock is not deep enough for the boat he wants. How does he get it in and out of his slip, when the lift lowers it into the water?

I pictured something like a big catamaran with a lifting cradle in the middle, drive the whole assembly to deeper water. Do-able but pricey. Lifting keel or centerboard boat would be a much better solution IMHO

- DSK

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The floating assembly may need a fair amount of draft or a fairly wide slip for the buoyancy chambers to gain enough lift without hitting bottom.  It must float its own weight and the weight of the boat.  The the assembly must have sufficient depth to release the boat at the mooring (no power) or club. 

A lifting keel or keel/cb would be simpler.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Don't think so.

The OP said:

No mention of tide, maybe we should assume that's in the picture?

He says, the water at his dock is not deep enough for the boat he wants. How does he get it in and out of his slip, when the lift lowers it into the water?

I pictured something like a big catamaran with a lifting cradle in the middle, drive the whole assembly to deeper water. Do-able but pricey. Lifting keel or centerboard boat would be a much better solution IMHO

- DSK

he wants to use the lift at his dock/club,  drive/motor/fly  the lift/boat out to the mooring and tie up, then drop the boat into the water at the mooring and then do that in reverse when he's done sailing...

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

he wants to use the lift at his dock/club,  drive/motor/fly  the lift/boat out to the mooring and tie up, then drop the boat into the water at the mooring and then do that in reverse when he's done sailing...

Yep, that's what I took from the OP as well, although it was not well described. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Curious why you need it to be floating which brings in more complexity.  I know in Antigua in Jolly Harbor there are large keel boats on lifts.  Much larger than yours.  Just did a quick google search boat lifts jolly harbor and this came up.

https://www.goldenboatlifts.com/custom-solutions/60k-sail-boat-lift-in-jolly-harbor-antigua/

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Voiled said:

They found a solution to this problem centuries ago:

That is how Commodore Olie Hazzard Perry got his fleet over the bar at Presque Isle on Lake Erie in 1813 

Link to post
Share on other sites

saw a couple down at Zahnisers in Solomons when I was down last month,    J105  completely out of the water two of them, and another in the middle not sure what it was though...  they were electic motors using cables and such to lift it out.

 

 

 

Capture.JPG

Shit, never mind.  I just finally understood that the op wants to lift the boat out of the water at a mooring. and then power the boat back to home base...  I'll see myself out

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

You want to keep floating lift at mooring or club dock, lift boat out of water then motor the whole setup to your dock? What is going to power lifting device? what is going to propel lifting device? What is your budget? How big a boat? You talking about a mobile dry dock?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/26/2021 at 2:36 AM, sail69 said:

Saw one of those in Hong Kong YC back in the late 80's.  Not sure what make, but the boat was out of the water.

From back in the 70s.  Boat was called Tru Luv. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am sure it can be done, with a big investment. Ignore all the boat lift suggestions that are sitting on the bottom or attached to the shore. It will not work. So you need a floating one, which is a hydrohoist. These can be made for sailboats, but then you run into some problems:

- how far do you need to lift it in order to clear the bottom. If it is a foot or less, it might be possible , but if you are talking about multiple feet the whole structure becomes tippy very easily, especially in chop and waves

- moving this thin every time is going to be ... interesting. They are made for sitting at the dock. They can withstand the weight of a boat, but the stress becomes a lot greater during movement, especially during sporty conditions. Lastly, I think it will track like shit. With some side-winds you will be in trouble quickly.

So, my suggestions:

- leave the boat elsewhere

- get a house with deep water clearance (or dredge!)

- get a different boat

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Marcjsmith said:

saw a couple down at Zahnisers in Solomons when I was down last month,    J105  completely out of the water two of them, and another in the middle not sure what it was though...  they were electic motors using cables and such to lift it out.

 

 

 

Capture.JPG

Shit, never mind.  I just finally understood that the op wants to lift the boat out of the water at a mooring. and then power the boat back to home base...  I'll see myself out

 

I can see it now: "Oh shit, I left my keys and wallet on board. Can you lower her back down for me?"

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/26/2021 at 3:02 PM, Marcjsmith said:

saw a couple down at Zahnisers in Solomons when I was down last month,    J105  completely out of the water two of them, and another in the middle not sure what it was though...  they were electic motors using cables and such to lift it out.

 

 

 

Capture.JPG

Shit, never mind.  I just finally understood that the op wants to lift the boat out of the water at a mooring. and then power the boat back to home base...  I'll see myself out

 

Boat in the middle is a Melges 32

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/25/2021 at 10:35 AM, Wildfire68 said:

So, has anyone ever seen, built etc a floating sailboat lift.  Looking for a floating lift that can lift a sailboat 1-2 ft out of the water. Does not need to lift it all the way out, but that would be a plus.   Looking for said lift so I can buy a deeper draft boat than my the dock at my house will accomodate.  Would put the boat on the at a mooring or local club dock and then power it back to my house where it would normally be kept.

GO!

here you go: 6a0111685112b3970c011168c911d8970c-600wi

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

When Nichols launches a boat, they have to wait for the highest high tide. Then they also call a crane barge. And they rent big "sausages."  They crank up the hydraulic crawlers and put down temporary steel plates over the road. Oh I forgot, they get a temporary permit to block the road. Then they launch the boat with the sausages underslung and inflated and the crane barge adding more lift to that. The whole business (minus th hydraulic crawlers) then moves, with tug on the hip, out to deeper water, where the sausages are deflated and pulled out, and the crane lowered.

So yeah, you can definitely do what you want here. It has to be easier than that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fastyacht said:

why don't you buy a sweet little speedboat to take you from your home base to the mooring, and forget all this foolishness?

Buying a sailboat, you mean?

FB- Doug

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's interesting how different people approach a goal with different attitudes & perspectives.

Towing a floating / hoisted sailboat. Wow.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...