Hey, it's Florida, must be stupid.

Yeah.... Nothing like interviewing the "Greeks". UF isn't a hotbed of intellectuals. It's where you go if you can't get into your local community college.

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

Yeah.... Nothing like interviewing the "Greeks". UF isn't a hotbed of intellectuals. It's where you go if you can't get into your local community college.

Wut?  UF is the fifth best public university in the country. 

2 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

"Best"? I live here. These students will step into a busy intersection w/o looking while texting and cause a multi-vehicle accident and not even look up or notice.

These are not all the best and the brightest.

I've met, and been consulted by several UF professors. If these guys had been my HS teachers they would have been out of a job after year one.

I'm not saying that all UF students and faculty are idiots, I just think that the standards have slipped so far in recent years that the bar is about shin high, and almost anyone with a few firing neurons can clear it w/o much effort.

2 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

cite your source

The UF ads on NPR claim that all the time. Doesn't mean squat except that they fund the local G-ville NPR affiliate.

17 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:
23 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

cite your source

As long as the criteria includes "proximity to world-class beaches".  Or, so we are told.

:lol:

10 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

US news and World report and Forbes among many.

US News has you sixth with my alma mater 3rd.  So you're only half as good.  Given you went to UF and are not known for your prowess with numbers, you do realize sixth is not fifth?

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/top-public

4 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

As long as the criteria includes "proximity to world-class beaches".  Or, so we are told.

And a place where luckless virgins feel safe.  

1 hour ago, Bus Driver said:

Gainesville isn't proximate to any world class beaches. There are a few beaches w/in a few hour drive that people from the fly over states might be impressed by... But they really aren't very nice, and they're usually crowded with people from the fly over states, doing stupid stuff.

3 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

"Best"? I live here. These students will step into a busy intersection w/o looking while texting and cause a multi-vehicle accident and not even look up or notice.

These are not all the best and the brightest.

I've met, and been consulted by several UF professors. If these guys had been my HS teachers they would have been out of a job after year one.

I'm not saying that all UF students and faculty are idiots, I just think that the standards have slipped so far in recent years that the bar is about shin high, and almost anyone with a few firing neurons can clear it w/o much effort.

is it somthinge in the watere mabey?

2 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

I've been thinking for a while that it may be caused by drinking ground water.

The weird and stupid seems to be kinda concentrated in areas that drink a lot of it.

The places that drink rain/surface water generally seem to be the sanest.

Could Gen. Jack Ripper have been right after all?

4 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:
11 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

I've been thinking for a while that it may be caused by drinking ground water.

The weird and stupid seems to be kinda concentrated in areas that drink a lot of it.

The places that drink rain/surface water generally seem to be the sanest.

Could Gen. Jack Ripper have been right after all?

Wowe, that mackes sense........... he wase concerned abote floridatione of the drickeng watere.  He wase siurre it wase communiste plotte.       :)

4 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

US News has you sixth with my alma mater 3rd.  So you're only half as good.  Given you went to UF and are not known for your prowess with numbers, you do realize sixth is not fifth?

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/top-public

Your source says 3 way tie for 5th, so at  3/5ths, we are a little bit more gooder :-)

8 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

Gainesville isn't proximate to any world class beaches. There are a few beaches w/in a few hour drive that people from the fly over states might be impressed by... But they really aren't very nice, and they're usually crowded with people from the fly over states, doing stupid stuff.

Oh, I know.  That was just one of the criteria the President of the Tim Tebow Fan Club touted as what makes the University of Felons so great.

8 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

Incorrect!  Siesta Key is only 3 hours away.  Same with Destin.  South beach is 4.5 hours.

The Gulf beaches are generally kinda gross, and the water makes L.I.S. look crystal clear.

Drinking water on the other hand, may be a contributing factor. Nestle is sucking so much spring water out of the Florida aquifer that the springs are getting infiltration from surface sources such as rivers, which are full of chemical run off and other pollutants.

21 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

The Gulf beaches are generally kinda gross, and the water makes L.I.S. look crystal clear.

This is completely false. The Panhandle beaches are wonderful ... if shrinking under the pop pressure. The areas around Marco Island and the Sannibel area are hardly gross. You guys just make up shit up. 

49 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

This is completely false. The Panhandle beaches are wonderful ... if shrinking under the pop pressure. The areas around Marco Island and the Sannibel area are hardly gross. You guys just make up shit up. 

Depends on what your definition of "Wonderful" and "Hardly Gross" are.

Paradise Beach

3 hours ago, Fakenews said:

Incorrect!  Siesta Key is only 3 hours away.  Same with Destin.  South beach is 4.5 hours.

How do you define "a few"?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, slug zitski said:

Looks like Florida is doing just fine 

61D6445D-8B2F-4A16-BBB4-8AD280FED4D1.png

Well... except for all those dead people.

Florida surpasses 50,000 COVID-19 deaths

Blow hole on Anastasia Island was pretty neat, and had good waves for tha area, only 1.5 hours from Gainesville.  Can't drive on the beach anymore now though.  Matanzas Inlet area is a great beach, and also good waves at times.  About 2 hours away.  Some of the springs nearby have nice "beaches" also.  There are crappier places than Gainesville.

15 hours ago, Fakenews said:

you should wrote that in purple

America’s Top Colleges (Top 20)[14][15][16]
Institution 3yr.Avg. 2017 2018 2019
Harvard University 1 1 1 1
Stanford University 2 2 3 2
Yale University 3 3 2 3
Massachusetts Institute of Technology 4 5 4 4
Princeton University 5 4 5 5
University of Pennsylvania 7 7 7 6
Brown University 8 9 8 7
California Institute of Technology 7 6 6 8
Duke University 9 8 10 9
Dartmouth College 10 12 9 10
Cornell University 13 15 13 11
Pomona College 14 10 19 12
University of California, Berkeley 19 29 14 13
Columbia University 14 14 15 14
Georgetown University 16 21 12 15
University of Chicago 17 16 18 16
Northwestern University 22 28 20 17
University of Notre Dame 22 26 21 18
Williams College 14 13 11 19
University of Michigan-Ann Arbor 27 38 22 20
18 minutes ago, Not for nothing said:

Yale University 3 3 2 3
Brown University 8 9 8 7
Duke University 9 8 10 9

Fakenews could still  be right, aren't the only two public schools on this list Berkeley and Ann Arbor?

4 hours ago, Bus Driver said:

Only an idiot considers 189 miles to represent "proximity". Ahahahahaha.

Screen Shot 2021-10-27 at 9.41.48 AM.png

I would imagine UF would prefer you never have darkened their doorways.

For folks like you without a car it’s a bit of a hike..

29 minutes ago, Not for nothing said:

Yale University 3 3 2 3
Brown University 8 9 8 7
Duke University 9 8 10 9

Not for nothing but for instance, is Harvard a public or private university?

7 hours ago, Fakenews said:

Who the hell has time to make a six hour road trip with any regularity in college?

Once or twice, sure. But a 3-4 hour trip isn't "close" to anything.

But then, I've never experienced life at a party school so I may be mistaken in my assumptions about how much playtime the kids get there.

1 hour ago, Fakenews said:
1 hour ago, Cal20sailor said:

Fakenews could still  be right, aren't the only two public schools on this list Berkeley and Ann Arbor?

I’m always right.

So this happened the other day playing online poker. Reminded me of someone.

gator_vespa.jpg

4 minutes ago, Not My Real Name said:

Sure it is - Vancouver B.C. is in close proximity to Portland. I've driven it in less than 4 hours.

8 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Sure it is - Vancouver B.C. is in close proximity to Portland. I've driven it in less than 4 hours.

Enough times during college to make a difference in the quality of your experience there?

New York City was 3 hours from Providence, I went there one time as an undergraduate during the school year, with a GF who had family there. "Proximity to New York City" was not a selling point for my school that I was aware of.

But I made that drive many, many times the two years after graduation when my future wife was in medical school in NYC and I was still in Providence.

It's not a long drive, but it's but I wouldn't rate it close enough to make a difference when you're a student. Unless you don't have a very challenging school. We didn't take tons of road trips.

Proximity to good beaches wasn't listed as a selling point for my school either, even through we had some really good ones within 45 minutes. (not year round, of course)

13 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

At the public U. of Colroado we were only 1 1/2 hrs from world class skiing . . 

X-country was closer than that !!  

What, Eldora was not invented yet???  As I recall...  (We trained there) it was like 20 mins from campus if there was no traffic.  Given we only did the drive 2x per week, mostly at night, for a couple sasons so YMMV.  

In all seriousness, young 'uns get a better experience in intro courses (math, Eng., history and etc.) 

at smaller schools with much smaller class sizes.

At Enormous State U. none of their profs will know them. 

As juniors, they can transfer to the top tier. 

2 minutes ago, shaggy said:

What, Eldora was not invented yet???

We met Stephen Stills there once at the lodge . . 

he mostly complained about his high maintenance French wife. 

18 minutes ago, Not My Real Name said:

Enough times during college to make a difference in the quality of your experience there?

New York City was 3 hours from Providence, I went there one time as an undergraduate during the school year, with a GF who had family there. "Proximity to New York City" was not a selling point for my school that I was aware of.

But I made that drive many, many times the two years after graduation when my future wife was in medical school in NYC and I was still in Providence.

It's not a long drive, but it's but I wouldn't rate it close enough to make a difference when you're a student. Unless you don't have a very challenging school. We didn't take tons of road trips.

Proximity to good beaches wasn't listed as a selling point for my school either, even through we had some really good ones within 45 minutes. (not year round, of course)

Came out here expecting to be skiing out the back door...  LOL..  What non westerners do not get is that anything is like 2 hrs away from anywhere worth going to...  and a 2 hr drive is nothing if you get a day in the mtns..  Fort collins is 60 mi from den and about 120 from skiing.  Boulder is in the foothills and is closer, but still an hour or 2 from the good stuff.  We made that trip on a weekly basis as a normal student, and 2x that when I was racing (Duh, it is why I came out here) ...  so...  Hate to say it.  If Beach = the fun of the mtns, then Gaytor might have something....    Made the drive from Orlando to Titusville for damn rock shrimp more than once, so what do I know??  

4 minutes ago, shaggy said:

We made that trip on a weekly basis as a normal student,

I am thinking that downhill skiing is now not very affordable to all but the wealthy yoot  . .  

Am I right ?? 

We used to go to Winter Park a fair amount. 

Winter Park Resort to be the third most affordable resort in the state,  

I was nowhere near good enough to race - and those Buff ski team folks were top notch 

Although the sailing in CO sucks, I sorta miss my days in the People's Republic of Boulder 

19 minutes ago, shaggy said:

Came out here expecting to be skiing out the back door...  LOL..  What non westerners do not get is that anything is like 2 hrs away from anywhere worth going to...  and a 2 hr drive is nothing if you get a day in the mtns..  Fort collins is 60 mi from den and about 120 from skiing.  Boulder is in the foothills and is closer, but still an hour or 2 from the good stuff.  We made that trip on a weekly basis as a normal student, and 2x that when I was racing (Duh, it is why I came out here) ...  so...  Hate to say it.  If Beach = the fun of the mtns, then Gaytor might have something....    Made the drive from Orlando to Titusville for damn rock shrimp more than once, so what do I know??  

Taking an entire weekend off during college for a road trip wasn't common where I went. A fair number of people did work over the weekends, at least during the day. Sunday wasn't generally a fun day of laying about, if you took a day 100% off it was Saturday. Of course, we didn't start our weekends on Thursdays like some schools, either.

--

Even in the midwest we drove a lot further than people in New England considered rational. My cousins in Cranston, RI thought "going all the way to Providence" to see a movie was a ridiculous notion at a time when I was driving 45 minutes every weekend to see my girlfriend.

For those not familiar with Cranston, RI, it is literally adjacent to Providence, and maybe a 10-15 minute ride from anywhere to anywhere.

2 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

I am thinking that downhill skiing is now not very affordable to all but the wealthy yoot  . .  

It was not for me, in college. Not as a regular activity. I think I went twice - the first two times in my life. And both at night, when it was cheaper. But I didn't grow up skiing.

But good skiing wasn't close or easy from Providence, which was one reason we basically stopped skiing when we left NY city and moved back to RI.

When my sister (on e year ahead of me, same financial situation at home, obvs, - scholarships, loans, and work-study) spent her Jr. year at Dartmouth there was a ski slope nearby, and some sort of deal with the school where she could get a season pass for not much money. I don't know what she did for equipment, but she skied quite often that year.

2 minutes ago, Not My Real Name said:

I don't know what she did for equipment, but she skied quite often that year.

In Austria, almost all the kids are introduced to skiing in elementary school. 

That is why they are the best in the world. Close to the best anyway. 

Kiwis do the same in sailing. 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

Am I right ?? 

We used to go to Winter Park a fair amount. 

Winter Park Resort to be the third most affordable resort in the state,  

I was nowhere near good enough to race - and those Buff ski team folks were top notch 

Although the sailing in CO sucks, I sorta miss my days in the People's Republic of Boulder 

We got free skiing with the team on the days we raced and got a discount through the school for a pass for practice..  Probably cost a couple hundred for night skiing which we only did.  $699 today...  a one day ticket was around $50 at vail, $35 a bay.  Steamboat you could get a 5 day pass for $150...  Today...   LOL..  a day at keystone/a basin is $134.  Now, locally, we can get a season pass to keystone/a basin for 400-600 or so, but that was a couple months ago.  A Vail epic pass, which gets you access to everything vail owns, like over 50 resorts worldwide, for like a grand...  https://www.epicpass.com/passes/epic-pass.aspx.  It aint me pops sport anymore, but we got a kid through to the expert (hiking and doing off piste stuff) level on short $$ using a bunch of the resort give aways for kids (Kids bring adults so they ski free etc....) so it is dooable to some extent with a family.  Now throw in lodging, equipment, multiple kids and all that time in traffic (like 2-3 hours up and down) and all bets are off.  

20 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

In Austria, almost all the kids are introduced to skiing in elementary school. 

LOL....   Kid was on my back at .0 something and on skis as soon as he could walk.  (Yes my dad ist Deutsch)

3 minutes ago, shaggy said:

a day at keystone/a basin is $134.

As the Admiral sometimes is wont to remark on such occasions  . .  

Holy Shit La Merde !!  

1 hour ago, Not My Real Name said:

Who the hell has time to make a six hour road trip with any regularity in college?

But then, I've never experienced life at a party school so I may be mistaken in my assumptions about how much playtime the kids get there.

I would bet Gaston uses this "proximity" rule when it comes to celebrities. 

Supposedly, he was hanging out with starlets at the Playboy Mansion.  He was probably outside the gate, trying to bribe his way in.

1 hour ago, AJ Oliver said:

Am I right ?? 

No, the industry knows it has to keep getting fresh blood into the sport so seasons passes for kids are reasonable. 

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

Supposedly, he was hanging out with starlets at the Playboy Mansion.  He was probably outside the gate, trying to bribe his way in.

I might believe that he hung out with Marilyn Manson.

1 hour ago, Bus Driver said:

It sure seems that UF is in close proximity to many things, just not a world-class university.  

6 hours ago, Not for nothing said:

Yale University 3 3 2 3
Brown University 8 9 8 7
Duke University 9 8 10 9

Which one is AJ's? 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Which one is AJ's? 

AJ's what?

3 hours ago, spankoka said:

No, the industry knows it has to keep getting fresh blood into the sport so seasons passes for kids are reasonable. 

Define "reasonable".

When I was in HS a season pass to Killington, or Mt. Snow was $100.

A weekend pass was $30

Of course the "season pass" restricted you to weekdays until 3 PM on Fri.

I never skied down one of those suicide trails, but I did take a 1921 Flexible flyer down one in April right when the season closed and the ski lift guys were all completely blitzed on Thai stick.

I survived. The sled survived. I'd never, ever suggest it to anyone over the age of 19, who had any kind of bad luck history at all.

My nephew's season pass at Cypress is $309 Canadian for the 21/22 season. That excludes X-Mas/New Years but that's where he'll be for March break. Yes; a destination resort like Killington or Whistler is crazy expensive these days for day-trippers, but I suppose a lot of the tourists are buying a package. 

1 hour ago, Ventucky Red said:
13 hours ago, quod umbra said:

Right BG. You Mom and Dad should ask for their money back.

They should have practiced birth control.

Practiced, hell. They should have used it, for real

- DSK

• 2 weeks later...

University of Florida Bans Professors From Testifying Against State Voting Law

To bolster their case against the law, the plaintiffs sought to enlist the testimony of three professors from the University of Florida (UF): Daniel Smith, Michael McDonald, and Sharon Austin, experts in election law, voting behaviors, and voting rights. The university, however, denied the professors' requests, saying in part, "Outside activities that may pose a conflict of interest to the executive branch of the State of Florida create a conflict for the University of Florida."

Oops. Wait. That's not the reason.

Over the weekend, UF President Kent Fuchs and Provost Joe Glover jointly issued a statement, affirming the university's dedication to academic freedom and freedom of speech, announcing the appointment of a "task force" to "review" the university's policy on conflicts of interest for "consistency and fidelity," and further clarifying that "if the professors wish to testify pro bono on their own time without using university resources, they are free to do so."

However, as McDonald tweeted last week, "Our compensation was not given as a reason in the original disapproval" from the university.

There we go. That's the reason.

Critics of UF's actions have blamed the DeSantis administration, pointing out that the chairman of UF's Board of Trustees, Morteza Hosseini, is a DeSantis adviser. DeSantis' office has denied any involvement with UF's decision. Either way, it's unclear how professors providing testimony on specific state policies within their respective areas of expertise could be "adverse to [the] interests" of the university, unless the university feared some kind of retaliation from the DeSantis administration.

It remains to be seen whether the school's policy is unconstitutional, but at the very least, it is counter to the promotion of free speech on college campuses. As FIRE attorney Aaron Terr wrote in a letter to Fuchs, "The notion that a government actor such as UF can suppress truthful testimony in court out of a general concern that the testimony would be 'adverse' to the government's interests is completely alien to the First Amendment and harmful to the administration of justice."

And that's why it's a crappy reason.