I really think this could have been the start of one more anchor thread, or anchor rode thread, but I don't think the guy tried anchoring (why not?).  I'm ignorant about river navigation, not sure what the current can be there, but tubing a rapid engineless in a 44 would be scary.

https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/metro/sailboat-stuck-for-weeks-on-chain-of-rocks-disappears-after-recent-storm/article_321252f7-8d88-5c36-931d-371ae9dd9871.html

4 hours ago, mattdwyerva said:

I really think this could have been the start of one more anchor thread, or anchor rode thread, but I don't think the guy tried anchoring (why not?).  I'm ignorant about river navigation, not sure what the current can be there, but tubing a rapid engineless in a 44 would be scary.

https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/metro/sailboat-stuck-for-weeks-on-chain-of-rocks-disappears-after-recent-storm/article_321252f7-8d88-5c36-931d-371ae9dd9871.html

The guy says gonna buy a motor home and have his adventures on land.

I hope he pays more attention to road signs than he did to navigation marks. I've been there, the entrance to the lock canal is REALLY hard to miss. There are a half dozen HUGE billboards saying stuff like "all boats go <this way" as well as the usual red & green markers.

We do have some photos of our boat with the Arch in the background, but not one like this

6175c5ece904a.image.jpg

It's kind of a shame too, IIRC this is the last lock on the way down the Mississippi. There are wing dams though, so he'd still have had some chances to fuck up and lose it all

FB- Doug

I just bought a boat this summer and moved it up the length of the Detroit River.  I'd never been down to the bottom end, and it's got all sorts of shoals down there, you can't just go willy-nilly around the islands, so I pored over the charts before leaving, planned the route, and brought the charts along and consulted them every so often, all so I wouldn't softly run a Catalina 27 into a muddy bottom.

If this guy had this big expensive dream boat and had all his worldly possessions onboard and was embarking on the long-term voyage of a lifetime, I'm not impressed that he didn't seem to know anything at all about the river he was "trying" to "navigate."

• Like 4

I love the part where he blames the insurance company for the loss of his boat. Marines should have better accountability. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

It was probably a shoal keel so it was all good - right?

If you mean my boat....nah....full draft (which is still only 4 feet.)  But for about half the river there are some spots where wandering outside the channel will find you on top of a "1" on the chart pretty quick.

3 hours ago, HypnoToad said:

Circle of life. It is a known fact that after spawning upstream a Hunter dies. Are there no bears in the Missouri wilds that can clean up the carcass?  

Sounds like something has already dealt with the carcass.

• 4 weeks later...

Prior to the boat being dislodged and likely sinking farther down the river this drone footage was shot. 

Close up drone footage of sailboat stuck on rocks.

In the last four years I have seen potential for some great river trips.    Buy something like a Ranger Tug or other 30ish foot powerboat and do the great loop.  

• Like 1