While Mrs. Bull was picnicking in a park with daughter and grandson this afternoon, someone smashed her car window and took her purse. The haul included a debit card and two credit cards. They were quickly put to work at Walmart. We were able to alert the two financial institutions pretty quickly.

The policeman who responded said to be sure to use Equifax to ensure that no one is able to open accounts in her name. I took a look at their site. It's free, but I'm a bit hesitant. You have to provide your SSN, a key piece of data. Do I want this stored in yet another database? As I recall, Equifax experienced a major data breach several months ago.

Comments? Suggestions?

Thank you.

Do you have a police report? It's handy in putting a short trem  credit alert on your credit files...there are 3 of them...and even a long term one if you request it with the police report. 

Worth doing. Makes it harder to get bank loans, credit cards in your name. 

Read here https://www.ftc.gov/faq/consumer-protection/report-identity-theft

Equivalent, Experience, Trans Union.  See if filing with one will notify the others. 

We have had alerts for years. 

Your best option is a credit freeze. Same thing happened to me a couple years ago.  Left my wallet in the car , which I rarely do, broke in and they went straight to a mall 2 miles away and changed $6,000. 

• Like 2
55 minutes ago, Bull City said:

While Mrs. Bull was picnicking in a park with daughter and grandson this afternoon, someone smashed her car window and took her purse. The haul included a debit card and two credit cards. They were quickly put to work at Walmart. We were able to alert the two financial institutions pretty quickly.

The policeman who responded said to be sure to use Equifax to ensure that no one can open accounts in her name. I took a look at their site. It's free, but I'm a bit hesitant. You have to provide your SSN, a key piece of data. Do I want this stored in yet another database? As I recall, Equifax experienced a significant data breach several months ago.

Comments? Suggestions?

Thank you.

Your SSN was already out there before this happened.

Do what others say and put a credit freeze on.

Also, have your credit card companies notify you of any charge over whatever amount you want it to be.  It can be annoying but will save you n the long run.  I have this with AX.

• Like 1

This is why my wife never lets her purse out of her sight and I never let my wallet out of my pocket - or my hand if I'm actually in the wallet.

Never put our card numbers or banking info on the web either.

Worked perfectly so far.

My wife left her purse in a cab in Chicago years ago.  We were dropped off in front of the restaurant with the kids and she realized when the can drove off she had left her purse on the floor.  The people at the restaurant helped us find out what cab company it was, called them to ask which cab had dropped off there in the last few minutes.  They contacted the cabbie, told him to go back to the restaurant, and the purse was still in the back seat.  We got lucky on that one.

More recently, I got a note in the mail from the USDA stating that I would need to start paying back the $18K loan they gave me for my farm in Texas.  A couple of problems here.  I do not have a farm.  I do not live in Texas.  I own about an acre in MI in a subdivision.  So I called them, and told them this was fraud.  They suggested I contact one of the credit bureaus to put a credit hold for my SSN and to file a police report, both of which I did.  Don't know why they didn't find it suspicious that they loaned someone in Texas a bunch of money for a farm whose mailing address was a sub in Michigan.

5 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

This is why my wife never lets her purse out of her sight and I never let my wallet out of my pocket - or my hand if I'm actually in the wallet.

Never put our card numbers or banking info on the web either.

Worked perfectly so far.

As a banker, how have you avoided it?

person in MD  stole my identity,  opened up three accounts with verizon, opened up a new credit card  account and went to town for about a year.

I guess at some point the creditors started sending me mail to my address in VA about past due balances and such.  ended up being around 8k.

I said this is all news to me.  I never understood the verizon account.  he defaulted on one account and they let them open a second one,  defaulted on that one and opened up a third.  How stupid do you have to be as  a company.  Credit card was very persistent   MD police said I need to file in VA since I'm a VA resident,  VA police said I needed to file in MD since the crime happened there.  typical circle jerk, no one wanted to do the paper work.

filed with three credit folks.  I had to sign a shit ton of paperwork when I got my mortgage and subsequent refi  basically stating that i wasn't this other mark j smith.

fuckers...

I had someone file for unemployment insurance in my name. It was a pain in the ass trying to set things straight.  Make sure you go to the credit agencies and "freeze" your credit. That means no one can open new credit in your name. If you need to get a loan in the future you will have to go back and "unfreeze".

Check out your homeowners insurance about identity theft. Some will help you through the process of putting things right. My insurance company charges about $25 a year for coverage and help for identity theft problems.  It was money well spent in my opinion.

Happened to my wife, someone got her debit card and went shopping at West Marine, 4 separate purchases of $500 until the card was denied.  Purchases were within minutes of each other so the cashier at West Marine in Ft. Lauderdale was in on the scam.  Later that year we went to file our taxes and found someone had already filed them for us, the IRS didn't pay the requested refund because there were too many discrepancies from the previous years filings. The IRS was actually very good to work with and help us with identity protection.

Notify all 3 credit agencies and the IRS.  the IRS will give you a special pin number to file your taxes with. 

The best defense IMHO is a permanent freeze on your credit so that no one (including you) can get a credit report without it being un-frozen. It’s a hassle if you need to get a loan or a credit card, but it does seem to keep the bad guys at bay.

4 hours ago, More Cowbell2 said:

More recently, I got a note in the mail from the USDA stating that I would need to start paying back the $18K loan they gave me for my farm in Texas.  A couple of problems here.  I do not have a farm.  I do not live in Texas.  I own about an acre in MI in a subdivision.  So I called them, and told them this was fraud.  They suggested I contact one of the credit bureaus to put a credit hold for my SSN and to file a police report, both of which I did.  Don't know why they didn't find it suspicious that they loaned someone in Texas a bunch of money for a farm whose mailing address was a sub in Michigan.

$18K?

Must have been a nice farm.

I recently spent almost 1/2 that for a garden shed.

4 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

As a banker, how have you avoided it?

Well, the "banker" bit ended 13 years ago for one thing.

Otherwise? simple - bank in person at a branch or ATM, don't buy from Amazon or other online sources.

Fundamentally, just handle your finances like you did before Internet banking was a thing.

It's not that hard.

7 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Otherwise? simple - bank in person at a branch or ATM, don't buy from Amazon or other online sources.

Fundamentally, just handle your finances like you did before Internet banking was a thing.

It's not that hard.

Hard? ... You lost me at don't buy from Amazon.

• Like 1

NO!

These so called "security" companies are just scams. ALL OF THEM. They suck you in and when you decide you don't like them/need them, they're there sucking you for more. They steal your info, and hold it hostage. Once you go in, you can never, ever truly get out. Just like farcebook,  Norton, or AOhell.

My Stepmurder made the mistake of trusting Equifax, and now every goddamned credit company, bank, and insurance company from Fairfax to Bangalore has her info and hound her constantly.

9 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Fundamentally, just handle your finances like you did before Internet bonking was a thing.

It's not that hard.

Internet bonking has been a thing for more than 13 years....

• Like 1
Apology from Equifax CEO, Tom Equifax
Good morning, America. I’m Tom Equifax, founder & CEO of Equifax. As you’ve probably read, a hacker recently gained access to a couple of files, which contained extensive personal & financial information for 143 million Americans. It even had some Social Security and credit card numbers in it, which is going to mean big trouble for a whole lot of people. And I’m sorry that any of you think I give a shit.
I mean, look. I even put this apology behind a paywall. That’s how much I don’t care. Really, my misanthropy should be obvious. If I cared about people, would I get rich running a company that reduces people to a number? A number based partly on whether you owe corporations enough money? We literally decide if you’re worth anything to society, and it has nothing to do with what you do, or think. Saving a baby from a fire doesn’t help your credit score at all. Credit score companies are evil, and I love running mine. So why would I care if we lost enough data to ruin 143 million lives? I work on ruining all your lives, every day. This is a freebie. This is boner material. Just imagine how many fraudulent lines of credit are gonna come out of this! I’m gonna get to drop so many of your scores, based on things you didn’t even do. And it’s gonna be awesome.
Some of you have probably realized by now that Equifax was founded 118 years ago, and you’re wondering how I, founder Tom Equifax, am still alive. It’s because I use dark magicks to convert the sorrows of the poor into vital essence. And so long as Equifax remains in operation, there will be more than enough poor-sorrow to keep me alive, underground, in a bunker, where I will sleep through the coming nuclear apocalypse, and re-emerge to rebuild society as its new God.
Why did I decide to use poor-sorrow, instead of rich-sorrow? Because fuck poor people. You heard me. Don’t act surprised! I obviously hate poor people. All credit scoring companies do. Credit scores only really hurt poor people & middle poor people (that’s what I call the “middle class”), and that’s on purpose. If you’re rich, the score doesn’t really matter, because you have enough collateral for anything, or you can just make a bigger down payment! Donald Trump has a horrendous credit score, and it doesn’t matter. Never did, never will. A billionaire with terrible credit gets to be President & tear this planet down, and your unemployed ass can’t even get a used car. Credit scores are really something, aren’t they folks?
You know, if I had things my way, you wouldn’t be able to know your life-number without paying us. You only get that one free report a year because the stupid government makes us. In a better world, in the world I will build once this one burns in atomic hellfire, the mutant survivors will just never be able to rent an apartment or get a loan, and they’ll never know why. They’ll walk around with an ever-present sense of doom & dread, wondering if today’s the day their hidden society-rating drops too far for them to keep on living. That’s the Equifax dream.
So, 143 million people now have to worry about their lives being stolen out from under them. Because we’re allowed to know everything about you, but we can’t be bothered to be responsible, because we hate you. I can already feel the poor-essence flowing.
Get bent suckers,
FUTURE-GOD TOM EQUIFAX
  • Like 2

if you don't want anyone to cash in on your Name/Credit

Fuck-Up yer Credit

Problem solved  ;)

16 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

It's not that hard.

Difficult, bank branches are closing all over the place ,

Within 5 miles of my house all 3 banks (and building societies another 3) have gone. (all companies)

Within 10 miles of my house there is just one bank left of the previous 9 bank branches, and that's on limited hours ( All companies)

Within 25 miles of my house which includes the county city, there are 6 branches left of my bank instead of the previous 12, and 3 of them are on warnings to close.

In the UK 4299 branches have closed since 2015 with another near 1000 to close this year...

Note if you think that's a lot of banks in a small area, the UK has 671 people per square mile against the USA's 93..

As for shopping , its going the same way, most high streets have vacant properties, the second biggest Mall in the County City is being turned into a leisure and entertainment  centre as they can't fill the shops..

So what do I do to protect myself... Well for one thing I never use my bank card online, only the credit card, which gives you a layer on insulation between you and the evil..

Amazon, and to a lesser extent Paypal  are much better at fraud prevention than going direct to small online shops..  So If  a small trader doesn't accept Paypal then they don't get the business. My payapal ispaid by credit card of course so that gives 2 levels of insulation between me and the Evil..

On 11/1/2021 at 7:11 PM, Bull City said:

I don't they got it. It wasn't in the purse.

Freeze all 3 and put the pin #'s in a very very safe place Write them down.  You will need to unfreeze for any big purchase so think ahead.  This has saved us a few times with store cards and the 0% stuff for appliances.  Ya gotta go home and think about it and 90% of the time we walked away from the deals.  TU or experian, I forget which, allow you to do it over the phone.  The others you need to log in.  DO NOT FORGET YOUR PIN.....  Don't ask how I know this....  LOL

Also, They are required by law to do this for free.  The web sites make it seem like you gotta pay..  OBV right,,,  So dig around or google it is there.  

Good luck, this sucks.  We went through this 2x.  

• Like 1
On 11/2/2021 at 9:36 AM, SloopJonB said:

It's not that hard.

Or...  Just use 1 card on the inets and never give your debit info out...  CC companies are really good about this stuff now, so your exposure is nil...  Your info is out there, you cannot stop it...  You will get screwed eventually.  Y just gotta do what you can and cary on...  Aint technology great???  

1 hour ago, shaggy said:

Or...  Just use 1 card on the inets and never give your debit info out...  CC companies are really good about this stuff now, so your exposure is nil...  Your info is out there, you cannot stop it...  You will get screwed eventually.  Y just gotta do what you can and cary on...  Aint technology great???  

I never use my debit card for a purchase.

29 minutes ago, Bull City said:

I never use my debit card for a purchase.

Funny, I ALWAYS use my debit card for purchases generally via PayPal if I can. It's basically a Visa debit card. I just keep a low balance on it and transfer money to it as needed. It's not linked to any other account and my credit union is really, really good at detecting fraudulent transactions. Only happened once to me so far and the damage was ~$20 or so, too low to bother putting in the paperwork for reimbursement.

They selectively blocked the use of the old card until I got the new one. If you had physical possession of the old card you could make purchases & get cash withdrawals, but no online shopping. I was away from home so it would have been a major PITA if I couldn't use it at all.

I don't have a credit card, haven't had one in more than 15 years, don't miss it at all. Fuck all credit card companies and their usurious fees.

FKT

1 hour ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Funny, I ALWAYS use my debit card for purchases

If you pay with a debit card, and have a dispute with the merchant, they have your money. You have to get it back. With a credit card, they don't have your money.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

I don't have a credit card, haven't had one in more than 15 years, don't miss it at all. Fuck all credit card companies and their usurious fees.

FKT

with a credit card you have an extra layer between you and the fraud and, if you pay the bill on time, there are no "usurious" fees.

it's very simple.  for some.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

FKT

Just pay the balance every month and they cost diddly.

We use the Mastercard for everything - well, I use cash for less than $20 - and it costs us nothing but the annual fee - cheap convenience.

How do you rent cars, hotel rooms etc. etc. without a card?

3 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

… I don't have a credit card, haven't had one in more than 15 years, don't miss it at all. Fuck all credit card companies and their usurious fees.

FKT

Fees? That is so retro. It is not clear how they are making money. I suppose pennies from the merchant. No from me, for certain. My Apple Card gives me a hundred or two dollars each month. The average time to pay is over a month. Just paid the Sept charges in full so zero interest there. No annual, late, or international fx fees. Orbital level credit limit so I’ll never hit that. I just tap the iPhone at merchants. There is a different number for internet and telephone charging that is easier to cancel if fraud. No numbers on the card itself, but I rarely use it. Merchants seem to have gotten with the program to realize handling cash is bothersome. Am I missing something?

Get with it, man. 

14 minutes ago, tybee said:

fee?  seriously?  you pay an annual fee? 

sigh.

They started it this year. We bank with a different bank than the one that carries MC so we don't have any leverage with them. For some reason they are disinclined to eat the fee for an account holder that provides zero revenue to them.

$50/year - BFD.

9 minutes ago, El Borracho said:

Fees? That is so retro. It is not clear how they are making money. I suppose pennies from the merchant.

Not pennies - 2% to 5% from the merchant.

Think about how much money that is - at least 2% of all the money that goes on all those millions of cards. :blink:

That reminds me of a story I was told when I first started at IBM. Apparently the first insider computer embezzlement scam was pulled off by an early bank programmer. He coded the machine to deposit all the fractions of a cent created during processing calculations into an account he set up and became rich in a very short time.

8 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Just pay the balance every month and they cost diddly.

Yeah. That works.

Right up until you go off to sea for 3 months with no internet coverage and they apply a renewal fee 2 weeks after you sailed.

When you get home you've a nicely compounded bill and a bunch of threatening letters. Because you weren't expecting any charges to apply to an account with a zero balance owing.

Nope, fuck that. And Citibank as well.

As for the extra layer of protection with a CC, that is true but not as much as you might think, at least WRT my use-case with my credit union. They are quite good at blocking charges going through if you dispute them in a timely fashion. NFI how it works elsewhere.

Whatever, I don't care. I'm happy with my current arrangements, they suit my needs.

FKT

13 hours ago, Bull City said:

If you pay with a debit card, and have a dispute with the merchant, they have your money. You have to get it back. With a credit card, they don't have your money.

As mentioned, the thief got and used a debit card on November 1. As of today, November 5, there is still a $400+ purchase on our account that has not been reversed, even though it was reported as a fraudulent transaction on the 1st. All of the fraudulent credit card purchases have been reversed or deleted.

I still do not understand how someone can make a debit card purchase without the PIN.

33 minutes ago, Bull City said:

As mentioned, the thief got and used a debit card on November 1. As of today, November 5, there is still a $400+ purchase on our account that has not been reversed, even though it was reported as a fraudulent transaction on the 1st. All of the fraudulent credit card purchases have been reversed or deleted.

I still do not understand how someone can make a debit card purchase without the PIN.

You choose credit instead of debit.  Not hard actually.  Do this at the pump all the time so you don't have to enter pin at midnight... ... 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Think about how much money that is - at least 2% of all the money that goes on all those millions of cards. :blink:

That reminds me of a story I was told when I first started at IBM. Apparently the first insider computer embezzlement scam was pulled off by an early bank programmer. He coded the machine to deposit all the fractions of a cent created during processing calculations into an account he set up and became rich in a very short time.

20 or more years ago, the farmer who eventually rented and than bought my farmland walked into a local farm dealer to buy a peice of eqipment, the price was $90,000.  D pulled out his mastercard (that was some limit!)...the sales guy's face went white..."D, we can't take that, MC would get our whole margin" .  "take it or take the MC sticker off the door".  yikes.

6 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Yeah. That works.

Right up until you go off to sea for 3 months with no internet coverage and they apply a renewal fee 2 weeks after you sailed.

When you get home you've a nicely compounded bill and a bunch of threatening letters. Because you weren't expecting any charges to apply to an account with a zero balance owing.

Nope, fuck that. And Citibank as well.

As for the extra layer of protection with a CC, that is true but not as much as you might think, at least WRT my use-case with my credit union. They are quite good at blocking charges going through if you dispute them in a timely fashion. NFI how it works elsewhere.

Whatever, I don't care. I'm happy with my current arrangements, they suit my needs.

FKT

Well, no renewal fee is available. But Autopay makes the CC the same as a debit card in that regard. Cash advance fees on some CC’s can be an issue for cruisers. But some cards have none.

Another argument is that you are paying the merchant fees so you might as well receive the services and perks those fees provide: Ride the horse the way it is going.

I admire your firm commitment to living in the past. 

I would never have or use a debit card. Way less protections from bad guys stealing/using or unscrupulous merchants. Have an ATM card (deliberately ATM only) and two major credit cards that I carry zero balance on. That’s it. Works fine. 

15 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Superman III and Office Space were two films that used this as a plotline.

This is a nice write-up of so-called "Salami slicing".

5 hours ago, El Borracho said:

Well, no renewal fee is available. But Autopay makes the CC the same as a debit card in that regard. Cash advance fees on some CC’s can be an issue for cruisers. But some cards have none.

Another argument is that you are paying the merchant fees so you might as well receive the services and perks those fees provide: Ride the horse the way it is going.

I admire your firm commitment to living in the past. 

You're a US citizen, right?

Then you know your banking payments system is lower than 3rd World WRT payments and security. You guys live in fear of someone getting and using your cheque numbers etc. So - shrug.

As I said, what I do works for me. I don't care what others do. Obviously credit cards serve a big chunk of the population's wants. Good on them.

FKT

12 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

You're a US citizen, right?

Then you know your banking payments system is lower than 3rd World WRT payments and security. You guys live in fear of someone getting and using your cheque numbers etc. So - shrug.

When clearing operations were one of my responsibilities back in the last century the American clearing system was an international joke. Every branch in Canada cleared everything overnight but clearing U.S. items could take up to 2 weeks. It was faster to clear an item to Oz or Europe than just across the border.

We used to be astounded at the continued prevalence of cheques in the States in the 90's - our cheque volumes were dropping precipitously while they were still increasing in the States - people writing checks in grocery lines FFS.

It took years after it was commonplace in Canada for tap to be available on small CC transactions over the border.

I could never understand why the financial system was so slow to change in a country that practically invented high tech.

1 minute ago, SloopJonB said:

When clearing operations were one of my responsibilities back in the last century the American clearing system was an international joke. Every branch in Canada cleared everything overnight but clearing U.S. items could take up to 2 weeks. It was faster to clear an item to Oz or Europe than just across the border.

We used to be astounded at the continued prevalence of cheques in the States in the 90's - our cheque volumes were dropping precipitously while they were still increasing in the States - people writing checks in grocery lines FFS.

It took years after it was commonplace in Canada for tap to be available on small CC transactions over the border.

I could never understand why the financial system was so slow to change in a country that practically invented high tech.

Because they make a lot of money fucking over their sheep err clients and use FUD to get them to clamour for more.

Yep, last time I had to pay for new sail plans from Tom I had to use Western Union to do the money transfer. That was a right PITA this end, talk about incredulous when I went & asked...

Using direct deposit I can pay anyone with a bank account or email address via my online banking. I haven't written out a cheque in over 15 years. Dunno where the book actually is. And nobody would take one anyway, most have probably never seen one.

FKT

3 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Japan was slow to change?;)

I admit that I'm old school, a Luddite, a throwback to a simpler time. I don't like online bill paying, or banking. I do a bare minimum of OLB because I pretty much have to at this point, but I don't like it.

Exactamundo. I love the debit card. I write one check a month ... to a Luddite. Lo Bal in checking so can't get hurt too bad, I use Paypal on the net. The one time a CC # got stolen, my bank ponied up.

Yesterday ... this is no bull ... I waved my card in front of a blue light.

Like butter!

On 11/5/2021 at 5:54 PM, SloopJonB said:

The U.S. is very decentralized.

On 11/3/2021 at 1:15 PM, The Q said:

Difficult, bank branches are closing all over the place ,

Within 5 miles of my house all 3 banks (and building societies another 3) have gone. (all companies)

Within 10 miles of my house there is just one bank left of the previous 9 bank branches, and that's on limited hours ( All companies)

Within 25 miles of my house which includes the county city, there are 6 branches left of my bank instead of the previous 12, and 3 of them are on warnings to close.

In the UK 4299 branches have closed since 2015 with another near 1000 to close this year...

Note if you think that's a lot of banks in a small area, the UK has 671 people per square mile against the USA's 93..

As for shopping , its going the same way, most high streets have vacant properties, the second biggest Mall in the County City is being turned into a leisure and entertainment  centre as they can't fill the shops..

So what do I do to protect myself... Well for one thing I never use my bank card online, only the credit card, which gives you a layer on insulation between you and the evil..

Amazon, and to a lesser extent PayPal payments are much better at fraud prevention than going direct to small online shops..  So If  a small trader doesn't accept Paypal then they don't get the business. My payapal ispaid by credit card of course so that gives 2 levels of insulation between me and the Evil..

I'm having a problem with someone opening a PP account using my company account in some way. I've never linked my business account to PayPal, so I'm not sure how they're receiving it. Oh, and that happened 8 months ago, so I cancelled the account and established a new one, and it just happened again.

not Identy theft but attemted credit card fraud:  I'm waiting on a new MC now.  went to use it Nov 2 and wouldn't go thru for  a transaction that i had provided the card number over phone to the service provider.  hmm thought i would try to use it next time i bought something to test.  i checked my MC online account and nothing was amiss. Two days later was on phone with airline and my payment would't go thru, the service person said the the address/postal code "didn't match".  so phoned MC and they said that they, MC had bocked the card on October 30 because the number had been tried in St.Louis Missouri...MC had flagged that aas potential fraud.  So the card company's anti fraud system worked  BUT they neglected to notify me so i was running around with a useless card