Fancy a well known F40 Trimaran in the U.K. for not a lot ?

Always sad to see old F40’s being auctioned off. 

Fiery Cross crossed our paths a lot of years ago and simply disappeared over the horizon, almost no wind and the lead mine I was on was doing what all lead mines do in no wind, not a lot and yet that old girl just romped past as if there was a gale blowing.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175004615948?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

image.jpeg.c60cac815283cd02a90309f364a76d4d.jpeg

• Like 1

Fiery Cross was never built to F40 dimensions.  Merfyn Owen designed her to F40 but lack of funds dictated the stern cut short to by 5'  and the fractional rig chopped to the hound making her masthead at around 50'.  She competed in the 1988 OSTAR in the 35' class breaking her daggerboard en-route. 

Her foam core construction used Termanto structural foam - cheap but not the best. I would guess the pictures are as old as she is but the price is cheap reflecting a project to make her half decent.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Johannos said:

New listing with updated pictures: 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175009343332

Seems like the forestay attachment got ripped off the bow.

Now its really an opportunity for the right person - can be very cheap. And that old alu-non rotating mast need to be replaced with a rotating carbon anyway. If the basic structure daggers and rudders are good this can be something. Buy used carbon-mast/boom and get new used sails - a lot on the marked for a boat like this. 

2 hours ago, SeaGul said:

Now its really an opportunity for the right person - can be very cheap. And that old alu-non rotating mast need to be replaced with a rotating carbon anyway. If the basic structure daggers and rudders are good this can be something. Buy used carbon-mast/boom and get new used sails - a lot on the marked for a boat like this. 

The mast was already carbon

1. The original mast was aluminium with a 47 foot mast head rig, when the boat was built in 1987. We extended  this in 1992 by 10 feet, so it ended up 57 feet. After  I sold the boat in 1996 to Simon Bolt, former skipper of Velsheda, he broke the mast and replaced it with carbon but used the same rigging. It was painted cream. 
On 11/6/2021 at 8:36 PM, SeaGul said:

In Australia it would cost $100k for a cheap ally mast, sails, and a very basic tidy up...... the boat isn't worth that.... some things need to be scrapped
You can have my boat for $108,000 British spondoolies

7 hours ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

In Australia it would cost $100k for a cheap ally mast, sails, and a very basic tidy up...... the boat isn't worth that.... some things need to be scrapped

This cant be made by letting other do the work and pay for it - its a self-projekt. It will go for less than 5000 British lire - and then you get some basic good structure of a very powerful 35ft trimaran and some good parts. Used sails for this boat is cheap - even good sail used. The mast is carbon and can be fixed. For a person with skills and time -and little money (there are a few). This can be a good opportunity. Its a good basic design/structure.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, SeaGul said:

This cant be made by letting other do the work and pay for it - its a self-projekt. It will go for less than 5000 British lire - and then you get some basic good structure of a very powerful 35ft trimaran and some good parts. Used sails for this boat is cheap - even good sail used. The mast is carbon and can be fixed. For a person with skills and time -and little money (there are a few). This can be a good opportunity. Its a good basic design/structure.

I've heard that the most expensive boats are the cheapest ones;- )

• Like 2
13 hours ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

Repair /reinforce the bow,  put a sleeve in that mast, laminate it back together. Not that hard, cool toy for cheap. Go sailing for a summer and build a wing mast next winter.   Some old F40 spars (usually alloy) are popping up for sale here and there occasionally as well. Winter after that, throw some c-foils on the amas. Never ending gift for someone who likes to mess around with epoxy....

20 hours ago, teamvmg said:

Have you seen it?

It's a project - But have you ever gazed at a pile of lumber, some rolls of glass and drums of resin and imagined your finished boat - this project is actually far less of a dream but still intimidating.

• Like 1