Winter is Coming

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Winter is coming. I shot this a few years back in late November. I was walking home along the beach from Banzai Pipeline after shooting Pipe Masters for Sports Illustrated. The surf had gotten too big

We've got a long way to go before winter. But it is coming.  The wind kind of dies out here in the Autumn, unless there's a storm.  Lots of no wind and light wind days great for paddling, but you need

It's not all that bad. Since it gets dark around 4pm and doesn't get light until 8am the next day, you can only see the rain 1/3 of the time.

Posted Images

3 hours ago, loneshark64 said:

Less ice storms than southern New England/NY. Instead we get seventy million pounds of snow. 

Nice today though. While we were walking the dog my wife out of the blue said maybe we should be snowbirds in a couple years and rent/buy a place on the coast of SC or GA and take the boat down. I was quite surprised. We haven’t spent time there, except for myrtle beach yrs ago, and she doesn’t really like sailing. I’ve sailed in Florida but nothing really between New York and there. I’ve never really aspired to do the intercoastal trip. My whole family has moved down to Florida, but we don’t really like Florida so the ICW wasn’t on my list of things to do. The winters really wear on me these days though. So it’s good, good idea, something to go to plan about.

New England winter is why we live in Florida for 7-8 months of the year, and spend the rest of the time on our boat in Maine.

Best of both worlds.

If we don't like the neighbors in Maine, we just up anchor and move a few miles. If we don't like summers in Florida--and we don't--we go to Maine.

Winter in Florida is mighty nice, but we sometimes pray for a serious cold front so we can have a fire in the fireplace.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, accnick said:

If we don't like the neighbors in Maine, we just up anchor and move a few miles. If we don't like summers in Florida--and we don't--we go to Maine.

Winter in Florida is mighty nice, but we sometimes pray for a serious cold front so we can have a fire in the fireplace.

The good thing about neighbors in Maine is if you don’t like them, they don’t really talk to you anyways, and if you do like them they don’t talk to you then either. My family, all dyed in the wool new Englanders, are now in Tampa, Daytona, fort Myers and Coconut Creek. Just picked up and left. Visiting in February I have to admit it is very nice to feel that weather, but they are all batshit crazy so I need to find another state.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, hoektron said:

I know its a joke reference, but I remember seeing a Kai lenny video where he talks about the "guns" he rides for big waves and how they are built heavier (like 25lbs) to handle the conditions. 

He said something similar about the boards he uses at Nazare in a brief aside in The 100-Foot Wave. (On HBO Max and highly recommended.) There’s so much turbulence on those faces, I don’t understand how anyone gets down them in one piece.

11 hours ago, accnick said:

If we don't like the neighbors in Maine, we just up anchor and move a few miles.

Is that even possible?  I found Mainers to be very good people. Polite, straight forward, kind and helpful without being intrusive. If you're referring to "tourist" neighbors, I can understand that.

I still can't believe we actually managed to catch @Kris Cringle out on the water when we arrived in Rockport. Talk about serendipity.

53 minutes ago, Ajax said:

Is that even possible?  I found Mainers to be very good people. Polite, straight forward, kind and helpful without being intrusive. If you're referring to "tourist" neighbors, I can understand that.

I still can't believe we actually managed to catch @Kris Cringle out on the water when we arrived in Rockport. Talk about serendipity.

We've had the typical oddball folks who insist on anchoring right on top of you when you are the only one in a deserted anchorage. They then complain when you ask them to shorten up so you can retrieve your anchor from underneath them.

This last summer we were afflicted by a large, young family on a big sailing cat. All the kids seemed to have gotten powered foiling hoverboards (or whatever you call them) for their last collective birthday.

I'm just a grouchy old sod.

On the plus side, @Kris Cringle and a few other anarchists stopped by to say hello at various points, which is always nice.

Generally, Maine folks are good folks.  Our kind of folks.

We've had the typical oddball folks who insist on anchoring right on top of you when you are the only one in a deserted anchorage. They then complain when you ask them to shorten up so you can retrieve your anchor from underneath them.

This last summer we were afflicted by a large, young family on a big sailing cat. All the kids seemed to have gotten powered foiling hoverboards (or whatever you call them) for their last collective birthday.

I'm just a grouchy old sod.

On the plus side, @Kris Cringle and a few other anarchists stopped by to say hello at various points, which is always nice.

Generally, Maine folks are good folks.  Our kind of folks.

When we were anchored in Pulpit Harbor, the "Salty Dawg" rally arrived and anchored on top of everyone. A large gathering of large boats, operated by largely inept skippers (Some of them actually admitted it).  One of the indigenous cruisers actually shoo'd one of the Salty Dawgs away from our boat while we were ashore at the Gen'l Store.

When we returned, we still had a guy swinging awfully close to us. My wife innocently inquired of them "So, where are you off to next?"  The guy responded "You just want to know where NOT to go, so you can avoid us."

Busted. My wife's face was red. :lol:

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Ajax said:

When we were anchored in Pulpit Harbor, the "Salty Dawg" rally arrived and anchored on top of everyone. A large gathering of large boats, operated by largely inept skippers (Some of them actually admitted it).  One of the indigenous cruisers actually shoo'd one of the Salty Dawgs away from our boat while we were ashore at the Gen'l Store.

When we returned, we still had a guy swinging awfully close to us. My wife innocently inquired of them "So, where are you off to next?"  The guy responded "You just want to know where NOT to go, so you can avoid us."

Busted. My wife's face was red. :lol:

In reading about that group, they sound like your worst nightmare. I hope we never come across them. 

I try very hard to avoid popular anchorages and to avoid the high season. I think in 10 years, I've only asked one powerboat in Tenants harbor to turn off his generator. It was aimed directly at us.  He was kind enough to turn it off, if a bit grumpily.  

I'm embarrassed to say I've never been to Pulpit Harbor. 

More recently I did have an occasion where thought about moving when downwind of some Trump Flag flying Lobsterboats because they were smoking way to much weed.  I only mention the flags because I thought the juxtaposition was funny. 

I kind of miss Winter. I really like those foggy, cool days in PDX. Sit outside with a fire and a mug of tea. 

In reading about that group, they sound like your worst nightmare. I hope we never come across them. 

The amusing part is that the boat that was swinging too close to us was from literally around the corner where I live.  I couldn't believe it. 580 miles and you fuckers still found me.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Elegua said:

I try very hard to avoid popular anchorages and to avoid the high season. I think in 10 years, I've only asked one powerboat in Tenants harbor to turn off his generator. It was aimed directly at us.  He was kind enough to turn it off, if a bit grumpily.  

As a rule, we don't go west of Eggemoggin Reach until after Labor Day.

On 11/8/2021 at 4:36 PM, Zonker said:

This is getting silly. I'm starting to see some sort of... pattern here.

image.thumb.png.ffa9405cc561964dc58b0fd2830bb09b.png

Well this week is shaping up nicely!

image.thumb.png.fb3738d0c7cedc2c9d0c940d30f01b7e.png

It’s all good.  Today, blue sky and fresh snow up on one of the last unclimbed (I think) steep snow gullies (“couloirs”) in the area :-). (Not far from the North face of Mt. Harvey, another great but possibly scary winter climb.)

646B9150-020C-4E94-AA83-D3F0A344FA19.jpeg

On 11/9/2021 at 8:59 AM, Elegua said:

Only been once, well after Labor Day. It was nice, empty.

On 11/9/2021 at 7:59 AM, Ajax said:

Many years ago we grabbed a mooring at J.O. Brown's in North Haven and my son and I hitchhiked to the store to alleviate a crisis in provisioning - we were out of hot cocoa mix and s'mores fixin's. I was dirty, he was a little kid in a life jacket. We got picked up by the first car - a BMW station wagon driven by a young pregnant lady. On the way back we got a ride from a couple of younger lobstermen in a PU truck. When we asked if they had any lobsters for sale they dropped us off, then met us at our boat with the bugs before we took off. We had a great night in Winter Harbor under the cliff.

A few nights later we were at Merchant Harbor and a bunch of cub scouts had kayaked to Harbor Island. My son rowed ashore and dragged the dink up above the high tide mark. He met the kids, after a bit the scoutmaster paddled out with him to tell us he was invited to supper with them. All good. We heard roaring laughter for hours from the island. After supper they paddled out again to collect the s'mores supplies. Another hour of laughter. Then the kid's helped him relaunch the Avon, the scoutmaster accompanied him to make sure he got back fine. He slept in late in the AM. A magical evening for a kid of 10 or 11. 

On 11/9/2021 at 8:16 AM, accnick said:

I'd never heard of them before, either. I guess it's like a Yacht Club cruise for people whose Yacht Clubs don't cruise, or aren't YC members? I'm guessing that they're easy enough to avoid. 

On 11/8/2021 at 7:36 PM, Zonker said:

This is getting silly. I'm starting to see some sort of... pattern here.

image.thumb.png.ffa9405cc561964dc58b0fd2830bb09b.png

Well this week is shaping up nicely!

image.thumb.png.fb3738d0c7cedc2c9d0c940d30f01b7e.png

God that's depressing.  Give me a freezing cold sunny day, anytime.

No problem. It's looking much better around here. 

We just get all rain in the winter. Summers are drier than Montreal.

image.thumb.png.1ed53f1e6b23bc066858de7722c82b21.png

This is cool. Compare your city to others. Look - Montreal is bloody cold in winter. Quel surprise.

https://weatherspark.com/compare/y/476~25077/Comparison-of-the-Average-Weather-in-Vancouver-and-Montréal

image.thumb.png.822e4ed4484572671d51a38ac60d0db6.png

Cleverly, we have arranged it so our summers are much drier when you are outside having fun

image.png.4beebddac894b214a5ebf8514b0b0991.png

And... we seldom have to shovel any part of our weather.

image.png.b8f486e40e02d8f061c77b2fcaeb03ea.png

OK I cherry picked - here's the 'chance of clearer skies'. We are not looking so flash now.

image.png.ef6e3f43c81e31bba07fef2192fcba7f.png

Pretty sure this was posted here once, but I absolutely fucking love it.

For reference, Yakutsk is a small Russian Siberian port city far up a very large river where the fleet is frozen in for the winter.  When the temps reach around -40C out, they begin excavating ice under the hulls to work on them...

Vimorozka (“Freezing out”)

https://siberiantimes.com/other/others/features/excavating-the-thick-ice-under-a-whole-ship-at-bone-chilling-minus-50c/

1 hour ago, Ajax said:

I am an unwilling resident of Annapolis for a few days.  I brought a little "Maine" to keep me warm. 

20211114_173524.jpg

Bar Harbor New England clam chowder is the best canned chowder you can buy.

My wife also uses their chopped or minced sea clams in her pasta alle vongole. Yes, I know you are supposed to use small clams in the shell for this, but we don't often have access to those. These are miles better than "standard" canned chopped clams. A taste of Naples whether we're far away on the coast of Maine, or back home in Florida.

• Like 1

Winter is coming. I shot this a few years back in late November. I was walking home along the beach from Banzai Pipeline after shooting Pipe Masters for Sports Illustrated. The surf had gotten too big for the competition and a storm was coming in so they called it off for the day. The locals paddled out for a quick session. The sun popped through the clouds on the horizon just above the ocean. I pulled out my Canon 1D with 400mm f/2.8, 2x extender then put it on the tripod quickly and shot 3 frames. Here's one of them. 

nsss9.jpg

• Like 9

Spent a little time playing with my new drone this morning. Here are a few shots of the current swell rolling in on the North Shore of Oahu.

f211127_003 cr.jpg

f211127_001 cr.jpg

f211127_002 cr.jpg

• Like 1

Winter is here, thank god! There's always an impending doom feeling, as it approaches.

Storm windows, fire wood (pellets these days), weatherstripping, covering the boat. Seems we're always on the way to the hardware store, 1 mile down the road. 

IMG_3448.thumb.jpeg.5ac4401f5bdafd54d0dae25fcc809fe9.jpeg

But the tasks all come to an end, and there's nothin' left to do for it. Yup, that's it, we're done. 

IMG_3449.thumb.jpeg.8c57fa0a76c2f94473cec3385ab66856.jpeg

We tried out a new restaurant for lunch in Camden, 2miles down the road. Cold on the streets, warm in your outer gear, indoors - outdoors, it all feels good if you know how to do it.

There was a light dusting of snow on Mt. Battie.

It's great to relax and take a break. Take your time, old man(winter). 

1704446009_MtBattie2021.thumb.jpeg.42db488a0320f5289a8acd6359a9dee3.jpeg 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

Winter is here, thank god! There's always an impending doom feeling, as it approaches.

Storm windows, fire wood (pellets these days), weatherstripping, covering the boat. Seems we're always on the way to the hardware store, 1 mile down the road. 

IMG_3448.thumb.jpeg.5ac4401f5bdafd54d0dae25fcc809fe9.jpeg

But the tasks all come to an end, and there's nothin' left to do for it. Yup, that's it, we're done. 

IMG_3449.thumb.jpeg.8c57fa0a76c2f94473cec3385ab66856.jpeg

We tried out a new restaurant for lunch in Camden, 2miles down the road. Cold on the streets, warm in your outer gear, indoors - outdoors, it all feels good if you know how to do it.

There was a light dusting of snow on Mt. Battie.

It's great to relax and take a break. Take your time, old man(winter). 

1704446009_MtBattie2021.thumb.jpeg.42db488a0320f5289a8acd6359a9dee3.jpeg 

I see automatic transmissions haven't reached Maine yet. "Why would you fix something that ain't broken."

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, accnick said:

"Anyone's f-in truck"? Sort of like the boatyard truck.

Good one! But it's family safe: America's Favorite Truck, Fords logo for the F150.

Ok, maybe facetiously is more accurate than fondly. Fondness is hard to feel for 12 MPG around town. :)

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Kris Cringle said:

Good one! But it's family safe: America's Favorite Truck, Fords logo for the F150.

Ok, maybe facetiously is more accurate than fondly. Fondness is hard to feel for 12 MPG around town. :)

Fortunately, you don't have to drive it very far. The Home Depot in Rockland is less than a gallon away.

Very unusual for Louisiana, as dismal as the morning was, the weather service was right when they said it would clear up and warm up.  Bright and sunny and perfectly clear sky’s all afternoon.  Now that’s my kind of winter.  (Unless it snows of course) 

(usually when its cloudy and the weather service says its going to clear up, the cloud layer gets denser and the weather become more dismal…But Not Today :D)

I think this is the first time I can remember the outdoor petunias blooming into December.  Most of them are getting a little ragged looking, but they still keep putting out new flowers.  No serious freeze yet.  

As for the trees, it was certainly easy to tell on which day "Fall" happened.

IMG_3271.jpeg.2ccf9046853bb828e9758a54c8786b0d.jpeg

For some reason, the Beavers are really going nuts this year, near (or not so near) almost every stream that we visit.  Knocking down trees left and right and just apparently leaving most of them where they fall.

This whole row is going down.

IMG_3282.jpeg.4fbd5b20541f6e66fbc2a2838645f7eb.jpeg

This was one nights work:

IMG_3349.jpeg.e976747498ea6f8ff59b545841493471.jpeg

Note the four smaller (ca. 3") stumps where the trees have been hauled away.  I'd like to have seen that, as there are quite thick expanses of impenetrable blackberries between the work site and any body of water.  

• Like 2
On 11/7/2021 at 3:17 PM, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Weather livestream:

Blue sky just now (some snowy mountains just behind the low clouds) - just as I *finally* finished my anchor roller assembly complete re-design/rebuild project, started months ago (finally finished making the bails and installing them; finished).  Worked all day in the very cold rain - blue sky literally appeared just as I finished...classic.  Anyway, winter projects are still coming...

Did ya see yesterday’s waterspout (tornado) here?  Climate change - perhaps?!

AE7E375C-C015-4651-B2ED-8002BB08655F.jpeg

6F788679-84DE-4B7E-966B-3669C807A358.jpeg

Please inspect the bolt going thru the toggle. There seems to be threads exposed inside the tang plate. As there is an extension tang welded to the original strap, that plate should be a lot closer to the t/b toggle. And less gap there is stronger, anyway. It's OK if thread stick out from the nylock nuts - the forward nut also does not seem to be fully engaged

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, mcmurdo said:

Ish: has Gyro Park down in Caddy Bay reverted to a salt-water marsh yet? That's what it was for most of its existence.

I haven't been down there, but considering the amount of rain that has been coming down combined with high tides approaching 11 feet, I wouldn't be surprised.

23 hours ago, Ishmael said:

It continues to rain here.

image.jpg

Fortunately, we're on high ground with good runoff, and we're the lightest area of the downpour. Another four or five days of this coming...

That kid looks utterly lost and beaten down. I guess his cell phone died.

Stay safe out there.

18 hours ago, longy said:

Please inspect the bolt going thru the toggle. There seems to be threads exposed inside the tang plate. As there is an extension tang welded to the original strap, that plate should be a lot closer to the t/b toggle. And less gap there is stronger, anyway. It's OK if thread stick out from the nylock nuts - the forward nut also does not seem to be fully engaged

To that I would add that the  turnbuckle should be centered between the extended tang plates. You can see that the lower edge of the aft extended plate is bearing on the integral centerline stem fitting, and wearing on it. 

It's easy enough to have alloy or SS spacers made to keep that spacing equal on both sides of the turnbuckle. You can even buy pre-made ones in various diameters, lengths, and materials online. In a pinch, I use stacks of type 316 SS washers to make spacers of this type.

Fundamentally, however, the bolt is too short, and you should see a couple of threads sticking out above the lock nut, and ideally none inside. Any machinist can make that up for you.

I just read "Learning from Noah: a gift of life lessons in the time of Covid-19" by Randall Peffer in Wooden Boat magazine (September/October #282). Peffer, 73, owns a 47' schooner that needs some work. He lives in New England and invited his son, Noah, 43, who lives in California, to help him with it. It is set during the first Covid fall and winter. Noah is a skilled carpenter and agrees.

It is hilarious and touching at the same time. It reminded me of when my oldest son and I renovated two houses: he was the boss.

3 hours ago, accnick said:
23 hours ago, longy said:

To that I would add that the  turnbuckle should be centered between the extended tang plates. You can see that the lower edge of the aft extended plate is bearing on the integral centerline stem fitting, and wearing on it. 

It's easy enough to have alloy or SS spacers made to keep that spacing equal on both sides of the turnbuckle. You can even buy pre-made ones in various diameters, lengths, and materials online. In a pinch, I use stacks of type 316 SS washers to make spacers of this type.

Fundamentally, however, the bolt is too short, and you should see a couple of threads sticking out above the lock nut, and ideally none inside. Any machinist can make that up for you.

Why wouldn't you just substitute a clevis pin for the bolt?

20 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Why wouldn't you just substitute a clevis pin for the bolt?

You certainly could, if you can find one the right diameter and length. That may well be more difficult than making a bolt the right diameter and length You still have the same issues with centering the turnbuckle.

23 hours ago, longy said:

Nice catch. I'll bet you're good on a boat. 

Clevis pins, toggles, bolts, tangs, turnbuckles? I thought this was "Winter is Coming," not "Hardware is Here." Take it to Clevis Pin Anarchy!

Sorry, it's almost too cool to wear corduroy shorts here, and I'm stressed about it.

Ran into Yogi Bear on our hike tonight.  At first I thought he was following us, but then decided that he was just moving up the (steep-ass) draw parallel to us, and we kept coming close on alternate switchbacks.  He oughta be up on the mountain, settled into his den!  No pics 'cause he was always moving away and I had to hold onto the dog with both hands.  

On 11/27/2021 at 6:07 PM, Kolibri said:

Spent a little time playing with my new drone this morning. Here are a few shots of the current swell rolling in on the North Shore of Oahu.

f211127_003 cr.jpg

f211127_001 cr.jpg

f211127_002 cr.jpg

Ya need some good SoCal surf punk to go with those wave pics.  

The rather under-appreciated 1981 debut album from Agent Orange, “Living in Darkness.”  Of course it has a great cover of the classic surf rock tune, “Pipeline”.  Listen loud.

https://m.youtube.com/results?sp=mAEA&search_query=living+in+darkness+agent+orange

2F7AF327-B616-4DC8-98C0-4286024F6BBE.jpeg

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

The rather under-appreciated 1981 debut album from Agent Orange, “Living in Darkness.”  Of course it has a great cover of the classic surf rock tune, “Pipeline”.  Listen loud.

https://m.youtube.com/results?sp=mAEA&search_query=living+in+darkness+agent+orange

Ah, I’d forgotten all about those guys.  One of those albums that I probably only ever had on a cassette. Or maybe it was my roommates album.

41 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Uh, that's Miserlou, by Dick Dale, not pipeline (the Chantays, 1962), according to my album listing

2 hours ago, accnick said:

Uh, that's Miserlou, by Dick Dale, not pipeline (the Chantays, 1962), according to my album listing

“Pipeline” at 20:07

(One of those songs I listened to as a teenager that made me suddenly realize there was a much bigger and more interesting world out there beyond the stodgy confines of Washington, DC, a place where kids went surfing...after school/on weekends!)

26 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

(One of those songs I listened to as a teenager that made me suddenly realize there was a much bigger and more interesting world out there beyond the stodgy confines of Washington, DC, a place where kids went surfing...after school/on weekends!)

My mistake. I didn't get far enough into the album. My ears were already bleeding.

I guess these had a bit of a thing for surf rock.

My reading is that "Pipeline" was added, along with a bunch of other tracks, for the 1992 re-issue on CD.  BTW: Just checked and the CD is like $20 on ebay but only $3 on iTunes.  The LP is listed at $45 and up, and not even the original version!  Just sent an email to my old roommate to see if he still has it...

On 11/30/2021 at 12:13 PM, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

We were nearly neighbors about that time. My dad transferred to the Pentagon in 1960 and we lived in Falls Church, Va. I vividly recall how intensely everyone wanted to emulate the surf culture and the California scene. 

1 hour ago, kinardly said:

We were nearly neighbors about that time. My dad transferred to the Pentagon in 1960 and we lived in Falls Church, Va. I vividly recall how intensely everyone wanted to emulate the surf culture and the California scene. 

I went to high school in Scottsdale, AZ in the early 1960s. We were hundreds of miles from the West Coast, but we still emulated surf style, from faded Madras shirts to pale blue cords to white Keds with no socks. I used to scrub my Keds until they practically glowed, and we washed our new Madras shirts until they got appropriately faded.

The first time I made it to Carlsbad and Oceanside to try surfing, I fell off repeatedly and the board hit me in the head. I sort of gave up on it shortly after that. Besides, there wasn't any surf in Arizona.

But I still loved the music, until the Beatles and Stones came along...

I still love many of the Beachboys songs, not to mention Brian Wilson's own stuff.

Youth is truly wasted on the young.

• Like 1

I’ve probably posted one of these pics before, but it’s a fun one.  So to speak. 

No boring, predictable Xmas-lights-on-a-boat theme pic here, but very holiday/winter-themed: she broke off her mooring (where she really had no business being then) and blew ashore one December in a storm. Pretty sure I took this pic at high noon on the shortest, darkest day of the year.  Ok, maybe not, but you get the idea. :-)

The follow up story on the scene in the pic: Neptune appears to have struck an earlier bargain with Father Christmas, and she was returned to me —we re-floated her at high tide relatively unscathed, after using a small tugboat to coax/drag/scrape her free, a small barge with crane standing by just in case the hull/keel joint cracked (more than it already had!) and if she started leaking (a lot).  In fact, she had landed beam to the rock face ashore, and even where she came to rest ashore was literally exactly on the mighty Cal 20’s rubber gunwhale bumper/strip at the hull/keel joint, precisely against a small rock projection sticking out, helping to keep her standing up.)  

All in all, a Xmas Miracle :-)

3812FF58-D62E-4BD0-8E25-CB9AF4C0CF56.jpeg

7002E568-7F82-4CCA-8EA1-E44A66FDCFB1.jpeg

47A4050F-EC79-43EF-86FD-4FEB26982E97.jpeg

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

I’ve probably posted one of these pics before, but it’s a fun one.  So to speak. 

No boring, predictable Xmas-lights-on-a-boat theme pic here, but very holiday/winter-themed: she broke off her mooring (where she really had no business being then) and blew ashore one December in a storm. Pretty sure I took this pic at high noon on the shortest, darkest day of the year.  Ok, maybe not, but you get the idea. :-)

The follow up story on the scene in the pic: Neptune appears to have struck an earlier bargain with Father Christmas, and she was returned to me —we re-floated her at high tide relatively unscathed, after using a small tugboat to coax/drag/scrape her free, a small barge with crane standing by just in case the hull/keel joint cracked (more than it already had!) and if she started leaking (a lot).  In fact, she had landed beam to the rock face ashore, and even where she came to rest ashore was literally exactly on the mighty Cal 20’s rubber gunwhale bumper/strip at the hull/keel joint, precisely against a small rock projection sticking out, helping to keep her standing up.)  

All in all, a Xmas Miracle :-)

3812FF58-D62E-4BD0-8E25-CB9AF4C0CF56.jpeg

7002E568-7F82-4CCA-8EA1-E44A66FDCFB1.jpeg

47A4050F-EC79-43EF-86FD-4FEB26982E97.jpeg

That's one lucky boat!

16 minutes ago, accnick said:

That's one lucky boat!

Yup.  Her name was Calico, playing on the “Cal” in Cal 20 (as some Cal owners do: Whimsical, Musical, etc.)  And her colours made her Calico.  And, as we were to learn over the 5 or so years we had her, she had nine lives, like a cat, a calico cat...that boat had a few adventures...including some nice, uneventful winter sails.  :-)

D7247FB5-54C5-4C7B-A71E-F42162233F60.jpeg

3 hours ago, Pertsa said:

-27 degrees of Celsius yesterday, it is something like -16 for you F people. Good thing I have warm shed to tinker the boat.

was -26 here this morning, first real cold snap of the winter.  I'm refurbing the rudder from my CL 16 in the toastie-warm garage

8 hours ago, Jim in Halifax said:

So do tell: are you replacing deck beams? What boat?

Ishmael already linked thread. It is little more than just deck replacement, I think there is enough for at least another winter.

16 hours ago, Pertsa said:

-27 degrees of Celsius yesterday, it is something like -16 for you F people. Good thing I have warm shed to tinker the boat.

"F people."  I like that.

On 12/1/2021 at 7:41 PM, accnick said:

I went to high school in Scottsdale, AZ in the early 1960s. We were hundreds of miles from the West Coast, but we still emulated surf style, from faded Madras shirts to pale blue cords to white Keds with no socks. I used to scrub my Keds until they practically glowed, and we washed our new Madras shirts until they got appropriately faded.

The first time I made it to Carlsbad and Oceanside to try surfing, I fell off repeatedly and the board hit me in the head. I sort of gave up on it shortly after that. Besides, there wasn't any surf in Arizona.

But I still loved the music, until the Beatles and Stones came along...

I still love many of the Beachboys songs, not to mention Brian Wilson's own stuff.

Youth is truly wasted on the young.

I was class of 1966. I didn't start surfing until I was in my early thirties.

Here are some stills from a video a guy took in November 2000 at a break called Freddie's a little south of Tamarindo. Freddy ran the pulperia and surfed. The camera was on the beach, and we were about 150 yards out. The sequence runs from right to left. I had 3 weeks between jobs, and took my oldest son, then 23, with me. Just the two of us. We had a blast. The Beach Boys and The Endless Summer (1&2) are almost family members.

1238245109_bobharrisoncomp.thumb.jpeg.73b1ac4d54c1b742c88bc71691b005e4.jpeg

• Like 3

Started surfing at 12 in 1965 at Huntington Beach pier. Surfed the Ranch and all the way down the Calif coast to Blacks till I graduated from high school then went to Hanalei Bay. Lived in Taylors Camp and surfed the best cloud break waves of my life and got the shit beat out of me for being a howlie more times than I want to remember.

I love how sailing/surfing a trimaran puts almost as big a smile on my face!

img015.jpg

griffin.png

• Like 3
On 12/4/2021 at 5:10 PM, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Yup.  Her name was Calico, playing on the “Cal” in Cal 20 (as some Cal owners do: Whimsical, Musical, etc.)  And her colours made her Calico.  And, as we were to learn over the 5 or so years we had her, she had nine lives, like a cat, a calico cat...that boat had a few adventures...including some nice, uneventful winter sails.  :-)

D7247FB5-54C5-4C7B-A71E-F42162233F60.jpeg

May I ask what was going with the colour of that cockpit?

Was someone trying for the lifeboat look?  Or just trying out out some hallucinogens before painting? :D 

10 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

Was someone trying for the lifeboat look?  Or just trying out out some hallucinogens before painting? :D 

I never cared.  Old boat - just re-rigged her sailed her :-).

Originally built in 1967, re-painted several times, I imagine, by previous owners.  I think that was actually heavily faded red?

• Like 1
On 12/8/2021 at 2:37 PM, TwoLegged said:

who cares , check out the sea boots :)

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Mid said:

who cares , check out the sea boots :)

Yes, the wellies are just the biz :D

And if @Jud - s/v Sputnik  is good at throwing the wellies, then so long as he can prove that he is not from Dublin, he might be inline for the crown.  But best add a flat cap and a bag of Tayto, just in case.

• Like 1

OK.  NOW Winter Is Coming. 

The nights are ridiculously long and the rough tough sled dog is sneaking his way into my bed after I'm asleep.  On to changing the sheets every day... maybe I should get dog-colored sheets?

0x2048@16147429912de5052cf1.jpeg

First real snow yesterday, though it's just turning into a base-layer of semi-frozen slush at my elevation.

IMG_3422.jpeg.6db939dd27fdc934d915aa06e610137f.jpeg

Last week, the ponds behind the beaver dams in the creek were literally seething with salmon.  This week they are still.

IMG_3424.jpeg.9792f15266e6a4b81062be1d84896a70.jpeg

And surrounded by dead (and almost dead) fish.

IMG_3426.jpeg.c3591f0c6010b6754231ac70bf2d6d94.jpeg

Which are more difficult to photograph than you'd think, with Numbskull Of The North tied to one hand and eager to grab one of these for his personal eau de cologne cabinet.  

• Like 3
1 hour ago, cyclone said:

Zombie fish. Eerie to look at

Yeah, here's one from this afternoon.  There were some in the Marina basin the other day and I accidentally hit one with the paddle while I was SUPping around.  It just rolled over a couple of times and kept on gasping. Ew. 

IMG_3427.jpeg.e8afdf4d13b87d34b2e216371beb0f1c.jpeg

21 minutes ago, estarzinger said:

hmmm . . . I saw the title and expected some House Stark (GOT) meme, would fit right in with the pandemic and other things in the news.

It’s actually a very comfy perch up here.  Like sitting, chilling at a belay station, waiting for the second to arrive :-)

The backing plate now fits, and it hasnt started snowing yet, so I’m two steps ahead...dare I mark out the bolt holes?  I think so - but I dare not actually insert the backing plate tonight (tied off, of course, for fear I won’t be able to retract it (not ready yet to install/Loc-tite it in yet tonight).  Stop while I’m ahead :-) 

Damn, wrong thread...

33926D8E-535A-44CA-BA01-3DB7280239DA.jpeg

19 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

It’s actually a very comfy perch up here.  Like sitting, chilling at a belay station, waiting for the second to arrive :-)

The backing plate now fits, and it hasnt started snowing yet, so I’m two steps ahead...dare I mark out the bolt holes?  I think so - but I dare not actually insert the backing plate tonight (tied off, of course, for fear I won’t be able to retract it (not ready yet to install/Loc-tite it in yet tonight).  Stop while I’m ahead :-) 

Damn, wrong thread...

33926D8E-535A-44CA-BA01-3DB7280239DA.jpeg

Just remember what happened to Bran Stark...