Sailor and dolphins rescue woman

I know not what others may think, but that story, evidently real, makes me feel happy.  

Remember the account of the Navy fighter pilot who lost instruments and instrument lights, leaving him no conventional way of finding his way to his carrier's deck?  But the phosphorescence in the ship's wake (which he'd not have seen if his instruments had been lit) led him "home"?  

This is similar, a non-human ocean phenomenon led to saving a life that would have been lost otherwise.  By a guy on his first sail with a new boat.

What're the odds??

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, nolatom said:

What're the odds??

There's the story of the SS Central America that foundered hundreds of miles off the Carolinas in a hurricane in 1857. Two ships showed up, one of which was inspired by seeing an osprey and heading in its direction. While most onboard died, hundred fifty people were saved.

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, nolatom said:

I know not what others may think, but that story, evidently real, makes me feel happy.  

Remember the account of the Navy fighter pilot who lost instruments and instrument lights, leaving him no conventional way of finding his way to his carrier's deck?  But the phosphorescence in the ship's wake (which he'd not have seen if his instruments had been lit) led him "home"?  

This is similar, a non-human ocean phenomenon led to saving a life that would have been lost otherwise.  By a guy on his first sail with a new boat.

What're the odds??

You mean the story Tom Hanks told as Jim Lovell?

Luck is a thing.

Some years back our favourite chef, Jurgen Schulte, was singlehanding his CS36 Merlin in the middle of Georgia Strait when he heard a voice calling for help.

He picked up another singlehander who had fallen overboard - this was like 15 miles from land in water where survival is measured in a few hours at best.

The guy had a fancy "My Hero" plaque mad up as a thank you and it was prominently displayed in Jurgen's restaurant.

• Like 2

I have read too many stories/accounts/seen videos of cetacean's (whales & dolphins) interaction with humans to NOT do anything other than believe this was a deliberate act of the dolphins 

Marina biology was my original dream when at university - I just got side-tracked somewhere along  the way

• Like 1
5 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

I have read too many stories/accounts/seen videos of cetacean's (whales & dolphins) interaction with humans to NOT do anything other than believe this was a deliberate act of the dolphins 

Had to read this a few times to NOT do anything other than believe I got what you were saying.

And a good example of this is a famous bottlenose dolphin named Fungie, who spend most of his long life in Dingle on the Irish west coast. He came to greet us when we sailed into Dingle Bay and the story then was that he would only greet new visitors and not the regular local boats. And he was not interested in boats leaving either. It looks like he became a bit more of a showman over the years, from all the tourist boats chasing him, and the swimmers too. He disappeared just over a year ago, and probably died of old age, after setting a Guinness record of about 40 years of age. And just like Elvis he is still being sighted every now and then.

One of the nicest of many stories about him is this one:

https://www.thejournal.ie/readme/swimming-with-fungi-5338499-Mar2021/

And a short video:

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Editor said:

Saw this story in the LA Times. Apparently the girl does not want her name or likeness available to the public, at all.

I'm not sure it's realistic on her part to think that she can keep her identity out of the news.  It happened, and miraculously she was saved.

Even if it was a suicide attempt (and if so, why would she bother to strip off her clothes?), she obviously changed her mind in the end.  

An experience like that is going to be a life-changer. Sooner she realizes that, and doesn't try to hide it, the better.

14 hours ago, Editor said:

Saw this story in the LA Times. Apparently the girl does not want her name or likeness available to the public, at all.

sudda posted it on SCUTTLEBUTT

part of the story Protection Program

No One will ever know !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Had to read this a few times to NOT do anything other than believe I got what you were saying.

And a good example of this is a famous bottlenose dolphin named Fungie, who spend most of his long life in Dingle on the Irish west coast. He came to greet us when we sailed into Dingle Bay and the story then was that he would only greet new visitors and not the regular local boats. And he was not interested in boats leaving either. It looks like he became a bit more of a showman over the years, from all the tourist boats chasing him, and the swimmers too. He disappeared just over a year ago, and probably died of old age, after setting a Guinness record of about 40 years of age. And just like Elvis he is still being sighted every now and then.

One of the nicest of many stories about him is this one:

https://www.thejournal.ie/readme/swimming-with-fungi-5338499-Mar2021/

And a short video:

Love the tale of Fungi.

My favourite was a Jacques Cousteau (I think) video years and years ago when some of his divers were swimming with a whale. I seem to remember it was a Humpback. During one of the downstrokes with its pectoral flippers the whale was clearly going to hit, and probably injure a diver. The whale paused mid-stroke until its momentum carried it forward a few feet and continued the stroke therefore missing the diver.

No proof but it sure as hell looked like the whale consciously avoided hitting the diver

A similar situation occured during footaging for a Danish TV program where Dorte and Jens are sailing from Greenland through the NW passage to Hawaii.

They rescued the woman swiming for hours in the sea with iceberg in Greenland. Her boat with four other had sunk and no one else survived.

This is not reconstructed: https://www.facebook.com/dr2tv/videos/889933537851300/

//Benjamin

• Like 1
On 11/6/2021 at 2:14 AM, shanghaisailor said:

Love the tale of Fungi.

My favourite was a Jacques Cousteau (I think) video years and years ago when some of his divers were swimming with a whale. I seem to remember it was a Humpback. During one of the downstrokes with its pectoral flippers the whale was clearly going to hit, and probably injure a diver. The whale paused mid-stroke until its momentum carried it forward a few feet and continued the stroke therefore missing the diver.

No proof but it sure as hell looked like the whale consciously avoided hitting the diver

Watch a video of Orcas using their tails to stun and kill a variety of fish, rays and mammals and you get a feel for the immense power of a whale’s tail. Interestingly, there are no reported cases of an Orca killing a human being in the wild-different story for captive whales. They are inquisitive and playful around humans and like to show off in the wild. We are lucky.

• Like 2
On 11/6/2021 at 2:14 AM, shanghaisailor said:

Love the tale of Fungi.

Imagine having 50 feet of kinesthetic sense?

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

Watch a video of Orcas using their tails to stun and kill a variety of fish, rays and mammals and you get a feel for the immense power of a whale’s tail. Interestingly, there are no reported cases of an Orca killing a human being in the wild-different story for captive whales. They are inquisitive and playful around humans and like to show off in the wild. We are lucky.

Orcas are smart fish, in the wild there are no reports of them killing humans because the humans never survive to tell the tale. The captive orcas figure they have nothing to loose.

• Like 1

They aren't fish and they aren't whales - they are the largest porpoises. Probably why they are so smart.

There are lots of them around here and never been a story of them killing a person or attacking a boat or anything like that.

The stuff going on near Spain is unlike anything I've ever heard about them.

19 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

There are lots of them around here and never been a story of them killing a person or attacking a boat or anything like that.

You must have missed or forgotten about "Luna" then, on Vancouver Island. An (in)famous Orca in it's days, but not necessarily aggressive as such. I recently posted about him in the Mini-Transat thread.

On 10/3/2021 at 1:37 PM, Fiji Bitter said:

It's possibly just that, it could even be that they figured out they can play with you longer if they jam or break the rudder!

Nearly 20 years ago I was "circumnavigating" Vancouver Island (750nm, but much longer if you go into every inlet or fjord), and half-way down the desolate West coast there were constant warnings not to get anywhere near a cute young orca that had become separated from her pod. It just wanted to play, but when people were not allowed to get near him, he became a dangerous nuisance. The situation became very contentious when the indigenous Indians claimed it was the reincarnation of one of their beloved chiefs. Lots of intriguing stories and videos on "Luna", and this one is one of the nicer ones:

• Like 1

What was the story of rescuing a small dog  which was fallen of a yacht during an ARC in the middle of Atlantic Ocean.

Poor thing was  swimming for hours before being spotted by an other yacht happened to be in the area. 

Didn’t hear that one, but I do remember being waayy offshore in the Gulf on Mexico of Key West when a golden retriever came swimming towards us. We couldn’t believe it! Pulled the dog aboard and gave it some water. We got back to shore to call the owners( had a collar and info tag) and found that the dog had fallen off their boat at night and had been missing for days off St. Petersburg, about 100 miles north. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

You must have missed or forgotten about "Luna" then, on Vancouver Island. An (in)famous Orca in it's days, but not necessarily aggressive as such. I recently posted about him in the Mini-Transat thread.

Nope - I must have missed that one.