Shipping a boat from Japan

Any advice on how to get a boat from Japan back to the US?  Currently in Fukuoka with a container in Kobe.  Ideally it would make it to East Coast USA but if West Coast can happen it can be trucked across the country.  50' but longer with mast on deck.  Height not an issue.

Any RORO service?

Also looking for surveyor recommendations  in that area. Boat is currently hauled and stored on cradle.

Thank YOu

Cash and a specialty freight forwarder. Probably a US forwarder unless you speak and trade in Japan. 

Or, better, sail her down to Okinawa or Guam then ship via Matson Lines. Avoids most of the customs hassle. And Matson knows about deck cargo boats. 

• Like 1

Yacht transports only work if they go to the country where the boat is. Since Japan isn't on their routes no joy. 

Unless your cradle has wheels AND the boat & cradle are ~ <14' then no RoRo for you. 

Likely it will go as deck cargo on a container ship, taking up 8 or more box slots. I shudder to think of the cost given the current shipping cost environment

Also winter is NOT a good time to ship deck cargo across the N. Pacific. 

You're not totally fucked but you're 90% of the way there. 

The PO of my S-40 shipped it RORO from Tokyo to Long Beach in 2013 to race Transpac.  Some info on this blog: http://blog.livedoor.jp/luna31743/archives/51386140.html?ref=head_btn_next&id=330645

No idea how you would figure this out if you don't speak Japanese and are not based there.

I shipped the boat by barge from Honolulu to Seattle in Jan 2019.  It cost ~$25K all in.

As I am sure you are aware, or if not you will soon find out, moving boats around the world is not for the weak of wallet...

6 hours ago, crashtestdummy said:

Any advice on how to get a boat from Japan back to the US?  Currently in Fukuoka with a container in Kobe.  Ideally it would make it to East Coast USA but if West Coast can happen it can be trucked across the country.  50' but longer with mast on deck.  Height not an issue.

Any RORO service?

Also looking for surveyor recommendations  in that area. Boat is currently hauled and stored on cradle.

Thank YOu

Crashtestdummy, 

How  hard is it to take the keel and rudder of the boat for transport ? 

I've seen people double the costs of transport because they didn't even think about removing the keel and rudder and paid the costs for over hight load.

You can save big $$$$ as you take up less area e.g 50' boat with keel on would be 3 boxes long 2 wide and 2 high  12 boxes deck space. 50' no keel 3 boxes long, 2 wide and 1 high that's only 6 boxes deck space.

Also, is the mast one section or is it sleeved ? again if it's sleeved you can take it apart, If not look into sleeving the mast to save on transport costs.

Pulpit

It is one thing to book deck space on a commercial ship tramping back to Asia from Europe/ N America, quite another on one carrying exports to market in the opposite direction. 
When I brought my tiddler out I knew she would never go home. And that was without considering current shipping rates. 

Best of luck  

CovBoy. 

when you realise that she ain't going to be shipped , PM me for an experienced delivery skip ....

experienced includes putting her back together and prepping for the voyage .

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Zonker said:

Yacht transports only work if they go to the country where the boat is. Since Japan isn't on their routes no joy. 

Unless your cradle has wheels AND the boat & cradle are ~ <14' then no RoRo for you. 

Likely it will go as deck cargo on a container ship, taking up 8 or more box slots. I shudder to think of the cost given the current shipping cost environment

Also winter is NOT a good time to ship deck cargo across the N. Pacific. 

You're not totally fucked but you're 90% of the way there. 

They could tow it!

Recent US and Canadian navy newbuild tug contracts I've been involved in both required delivery on a barge or heavy lift ship. No delivery on their own bottom (US navy tugs built in Anacortes, WA and need delivery to Maine; Canadian tugs built in Quebec and need delivery to Victoria).  These are ship handling tugs that work very low hours, and putting an extra 500 hours on their engines ain't no big thang. But no way says the Navies, you'll just add $1M to the price.

I agree with taking off the keel/rudder to save space. With each 40' box (from China to US w. coast) running 10-20K you don't want to displace any boxes.

Also - since you are not likely to be a repeat customer you will be very low priority in actually securing a slot.

Have you checked with going out of Taiwan?  Still a lot of boat building there so the major yacht specific ships call on that port.  I was considering bringing a boat over from Hong Kong but HK only gets ships on a really limited basis.  Taiwan has regular sailings and the rate was much better. This was mast up, lift on lift off, Taiwan to FLL.  
good luck!  

• Like 1
On 11/4/2021 at 7:49 PM, crashtestdummy said:

Any RORO service?

Thank YOu

Must be a scaled up A-Scow