using a square u-bolt for a stern dock line chock

I had a cast aluminum chock that was integrated with the toe-rail that broke.  It was a closed D shaped loop.  I have looked for another but not found a matching one.  I am thinking about using a square stainless u-bolt for the chock.  I would like the line to be protected whether it is running forward of the cleat or aft of the cleat and the skene or angled chocks seem to work only in one direction.  If I use a large diameter u-bolt (say 3/8") is that a large enough diameter to protect the line?

2 hours ago, gkny said:

I had a cast aluminum chock that was integrated with the toe-rail that broke.  It was a closed D shaped loop.  I have looked for another but not found a matching one.  I am thinking about using a square stainless u-bolt for the chock.  I would like the line to be protected whether it is running forward of the cleat or aft of the cleat and the skene or angled chocks seem to work only in one direction.  If I use a large diameter u-bolt (say 3/8") is that a large enough diameter to protect the line?

Stainless U bolts make poor chocks 

2DB2E6BF-40C3-4EB8-B2DE-200E564B9B97.png

You want roughly the radius = line diameter. So a 3/8" diameter rod = 3/16" radius. i.e. a bit too much point loading unless you are tying up a dinghy with 1/4" rope. I would try to get a closed chock. 

It's entirely possible your existing closed chock had a fairly tight radius as well. Have a look. Just measure the thickness and see if it will be close to your 3/8" U bolt.

Maybe I skimmed too fast but.. what kind of biat snd what year was it built… and the photo of the other side gets you hundreds of additional assistant search eyes. 
  It is all about “fixit thread cred” 
   You can bet your sweet bippy every one of us would like to be the first one to tell you where to get one. 

• Like 1

I have literally put up a small bracket with 3 different screw head styles. (Robertson / oval head and flat head Phillips). Have not managed all 4 quite yet.

It's wrong but sometimes I've been a long way from a marine store. I'm like a Cuban car mechanic. "Oh look. Here's a bolt. It will fit... Moving on"