Show me your blue boats!

Of all the things I love about our boat, the color scheme has never been one of them; something about it seemed a bit too boy-racer to me.  Now it's time to redo our topsides paint and I'm looking for inspiration.  I'm a traditionalist and would go for Stars and Stripes with a gold cove stripe if it were up to me, but Mrs. ChrisJD thinks that's too traditional.  Anyone got any brilliant suggestions, other than the standard navy-with-white or navy-with-gold?  Possibly more of a grayish-blue than just blue (though I've seen some lovely royal blue boats as well)?

Here she was five seasons ago, when her paint job at least looked as good as intended:

Pinniped.jpg

• Like 1

Here is ours! We even have a blue spar, making her quite easy to spot at a distance. I really like the blue hulls, it just seems fitting for sailing yachts. Side note, that is not me driving though I obviously have a fun captian's hat as well. 

IMG-20210825-WA0003.jpg

• Like 1
3 hours ago, accnick said:

Stars&Stripes blue is really nice. If we re-paint our boat--it is long overdue--we will probably go that route.

Flag Blue now, but so are 75% of downeast powerboats, or so it seems.

IMO S&S blue it too pale & wishy washy. Flag blue is way too dark - you can only tell it's blue in bright sunlight

Proper navy blue or Interlux "Dark Blue" with gold stripes is quite simply unbeatable. Just reeks of class and "yacht".

Also IMO.

I stuck with the original red stripes and maroon canvas, but now I wish I'd changed it to khaki or gray accents.  All the original red has been replaced or repainted by now, so I coulda been done!  Not sure how khaki would look as stripes - maybe the gray.  With the red, it ends up looking a bit too much like Superman's underwear.  

Got a little dizzy working on the boat when the paint was new because I actually couldn't tell where the boat ended and the sky started.  Or maybe that was the fumes...:unsure:

sky.jpg.6ed58b99298cba3b69c7c89b8c544864.jpg

But it eventually got dirty...

IMG_1384.jpeg.f74d6954f978773892d7012e2f3d1c0c.jpeg

• Like 1

Port Clyde, this past August. Looks like the folks offloading at the dock didn't get the memo.

@bgytr, would love to see more pictures of that color - it looks a bit more royal-blue than our Flag Blue, but still pretty and traditional. But still looking for more blues!

Port Clyde.jpg

3 minutes ago, ChrisJD said:

Port Clyde, this past August. Looks like the folks offloading at the dock didn't get the memo.

@bgytr, would love to see more pictures of that color - it looks a bit more royal-blue than our Flag Blue, but still pretty and traditional. But still looking for more blues!

Port Clyde.jpg

It's awlgrip aristo blue

Thanks guys. @Cruisin Loser, is that Aristo as well? And @Veeger, is that S&S?

One of the things that hadn't occurred to me until I started googling around for other paint threads is how much a lighter blue like S&S could hide scratches, compared to the Flag Blue that we've got today. I'm assuming Aristo may be closer to Flag than S&S in this regard. We have a decent number of scratches from our marina's launch (and from being too close to other mooring balls) that I try to keep up with but show up again by the end of the season, to my great regret.

Just now, ChrisJD said:

One of the things that hadn't occurred to me until I started googling around for other paint threads is how much a lighter blue like S&S could hide scratches, compared to the Flag Blue that we've got today. I'm assuming Aristo may be closer to Flag than S&S in this regard. We have a decent number of scratches from our marina's launch (and from being too close to other mooring balls) that I try to keep up with but show up again by the end of the season, to my great regret.

Yes, but it could appear almost black in certain light. She really hid scratches well. 

1638687095_sailing001.thumb.jpg.3bde6ca037eb53b9a89d485fcda35b8f.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ChrisJD said:

Yes,  Awlgrip Stars and Stripes blue.  I've noted that there are some variations on that S&S blue, probably from manufacturer to manufacturer, if not from individual blends.  Some seem to have a touch more grey in them than others.  I was very happy with how mine turned out.  Curiously, my 'next' boat may have a Mist Green or Grey Green hull color (unless I'm outvoted by the Admiral...)

36 minutes ago, Veeger said:

Yes,  Awlgrip Stars and Stripes blue.  I've noted that there are some variations on that S&S blue, probably from manufacturer to manufacturer, if not from individual blends.  Some seem to have a touch more grey in them than others.  I was very happy with how mine turned out.  Curiously, my 'next' boat may have a Mist Green or Grey Green hull color (unless I'm outvoted by the Admiral...)

I'm not sure if it is differences from paint brand to paint brand, or differences in the way the same color reflects different light. Sometimes it looks almost robin's egg blue, other times almost grey. I like it a bit more on the grey scale.

That is my only reservation in repainting with S&S blue. My Awlgrip Flag Blue hull looks nice, but the dark color shows every flaw, especially salt after a good day's run.

Decisions, decisions

IMG_1104.jpg

Hi ChrisJD, I don't have a blue boat to show but we also have a Sabre in Boston that wants new AwlGrip.  Have you decided where you'll have yours painted?  We are leaning toward Stars and Stripes but haven't figured out where to have it done.  Any recommendations are very welcome.

Here's ours, with the camera intentionally avoiding the scratched bits:

July 2018 Photo.jpg

• Like 1

@MSA 02129, welcome aboard - nice looking boat. We keep our boat at Hawthorne Cove in Salem, both summer and winter, and will be using their new paint shop, largely because we've had them do a ton of work for us over the last twelve months and have found they've gotten a lot better on project management (they have a couple of new team members who are dedicated to managing customer projects, and they did a good job last winter on a whole bunch of work for me, after struggling previously with a leaner staff).

That said, they're new at painting, and so they don't have the same record that some of the other shops in the area do.  When I was first exploring this a year or two ago, people seemed to think that Parker's in Cataumet was the class of the area for cosmetic work, but I have no first-hand experience with them.  My yard used to send out their boats to a paint shop in Plymouth but I don't know which one.

3 hours ago, ChrisJD said:

@MSA 02129, welcome aboard - nice looking boat. We keep our boat at Hawthorne Cove in Salem, both summer and winter, and will be using their new paint shop, largely because we've had them do a ton of work for us over the last twelve months and have found they've gotten a lot better on project management (they have a couple of new team members who are dedicated to managing customer projects, and they did a good job last winter on a whole bunch of work for me, after struggling previously with a leaner staff).

That said, they're new at painting, and so they don't have the same record that some of the other shops in the area do.  When I was first exploring this a year or two ago, people seemed to think that Parker's in Cataumet was the class of the area for cosmetic work, but I have no first-hand experience with them.  My yard used to send out their boats to a paint shop in Plymouth but I don't know which one.

I can vouch for Parker's as a first class yard, perhaps the best south of the Cape Cod Canal. I kept my Hinckley there for 6 years because the service was superior. Not cheaper, but excellent. They are still fine friends.

I only left because I got a boat with too much draft for their travelift.

6 hours ago, Veeger said:

S&S Blue is beautiful but tricky. Somewhere I recently saw a video where the painter shot four test panels from the same paint can. He used, IIRC, two different pressures and two nozzles. Each panel looked different, surprisingly different. Maybe because of the small bit of sparkle in the paint?

Were I to use S&S I'd have the paint guy work up a combination I liked.

The Mist Green-Grey Green that is popular on wooden boats up here is lovely but I don't see any paint samples from the big paint makers that match. Secret sauce?

29 minutes ago, Autonomous said:

S&S Blue is beautiful but tricky. Somewhere I recently saw a video where the painter shot four test panels from the same paint can. He used, IIRC, two different pressures and two nozzles. Each panel looked different, surprisingly different. Maybe because of the small bit of sparkle in the paint?

Were I to use S&S I'd have the paint guy work up a combination I liked.

The Mist Green-Grey Green that is popular on wooden boats up here is lovely but I don't see any paint samples from the big paint makers that match. Secret sauce?

Yup.  They re-sprayed mine because they weren't happy with the first go round (neither was I).  Still gets lots of comments 5 years out of the shed.  Used Awlcraft S&S Blue, not the Awlgrip version.  Easier to repair, but a bit softer.  I've been happy with it overall.

Interlux Perfection, Lauderdale Blue, rolled and tipped by me and a buddy. Eventually, I gave him the boat (1970 Pearson 24). The paint job is now about 10 years old and still going strong. Yeah, left the boat in a bit late the year this photo was taken...

Pearson.jpg

• Like 3
38 minutes ago, WillyT123 said:

Is that the same paint job as the first pic?!

Yes. Just different light. 

That was July 4rth weekend in Maine, 2006, I think. Pretty Marsh was jam packed, as you can see. The little kid is now married. 

1757420180_sailing002.thumb.jpg.f26743a1c55ce2abf34933f66f607abd.jpg

Here’s a Chris Craft I painted in the spring. Awlcraft 2000 midnight Blue to match the original factory gelcoat color which had faded and developed crazing and blisters from improper shrink wrapping. 

39BCE1DB-5C96-4374-BFA8-826E65CD65F7.jpeg

2190DD04-F08B-4200-ABA4-4489768AB5E0.jpeg

2968C3B0-CCD1-406A-BB9A-D1EDEC95A301.jpeg

5098CDCC-A44F-491F-ACFF-2D0A9E03E927.jpeg

02335850-F056-4D0E-851D-45DBC0843636.jpeg

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, accnick said:

That looks nothing like the Awlgrip Flag Blue on my boat.

I’ll check the color on the can and get back to you. I didn’t paint the boat, but I have a few touchups and the owner said it was flag blue.

2 hours ago, inneedofadvice said:

No, but I know who painted it. If you're considering using the colour I can find out. 

Yeah, if you could.

No rush though - it'll be a while.

3 hours ago, ChrisJD said:

@trucdesign That's gorgeous. What's the boat, and what's the color?

Agreed with @accnickthat my flag blue looks totally different from @Sail4beer's. Curious what the deal is there.

Box says flag blue in marker but the can says Royal blue, so I’m going with the latter. Apologies about the confusion. 

Speaking of the color blue... I'm a soccer fan (I still play twice a week with other old farts) and I have noticed the difference in the U.S.A.'s "Red, white and blue," and France's "Bleu, blanc y rouge." The U.S. blue is a pretty dark Navy blue; the French bleu is lighter.

image.png.d4e41f1e29152beee3474d403c7650a5.png

image.png.ea080f6961fc616edac8aaf2ecc79af7.png

What has also caught my eye is that while Italy' flag has no blue:

image.png.567467e4100a2d3b0c0c11f00e0a0613.png

the Italian national soccer team wears blue. In fact they are known as the "Azzurri." This is because it is the color of the Savoy family, the dynasty that reigned in Italy from 1861 to 1946. They must have sprung for the uniforms.

image.thumb.png.9a3930e7cfea430b43fcb0c3976f45ea.png

On 11/16/2021 at 11:53 AM, JBE said:

There is good ole Royal blue..

Doing just fine in the winter tropics.

FB_IMG_1508362636976.jpg

wait for the summer heat...;)

• Like 1
On 11/21/2021 at 9:40 AM, Trovão said:

wait for the summer heat...;)

Normally you leave Fiji for summer, a few choose to risk the cyclone season but we live in NZ anyway. So here the boat is, cold moulded kauri and blue for 46 years.

This is a sistership to my (white) boat. Not sure what shade of blue this is. I think I'm sticking with white hull but I might use a light blue anti-skid when I re-do the decks (to go with the Pacific Blue Sunbrella on dodger and sailcover)...

Frigate 36 blue.jpg

10 minutes ago, Jim in Halifax said:

This is a sistership to my (white) boat. Not sure what shade of blue this is. I think I'm sticking with white hull but I might use a light blue anti-skid when I re-do the decks (to go with the Pacific Blue Sunbrella on dodger and sailcover)...

Frigate 36 blue.jpg

That was a good-looking boat regardless of colour. (I took the pic)

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Autonomous said:

Blue boat hijack follows.

I'm requesting opinions on a stripe color for an upcoming dinghy. Which blue, actually which color, would you choose?

The colors:

GHBW-color-guide.jpg

The boat:

16.jpg

I'd say Dark Blue - hard to beat the look in that pic.

• Like 1

Blue and yellow is certainly popular in Noorhuvian countries too. The color combination isn't that common here in NA but it works. 

Sorry no pictures but our Pygmy kayaks have a rich yellow deck with a blue stripe over a white hull. 

17 hours ago, Autonomous said:

Blue boat hijack follows.

I'm requesting opinions on a stripe color for an upcoming dinghy. Which blue, actually which color, would you choose?

The colors:

GHBW-color-guide.jpg

The boat:

16.jpg

I went with the beige to give the sheer some definition without standing out too much. I did the stem, gripe and keel the same color for the hull of it. Then I painted the interior satin white with beige thwarts and sternsheets. 

B88416F7-6EC6-4952-B386-26E2F059EA3E.jpeg

B96DB1D5-DE89-41A5-AE16-754FCEFE1479.jpeg

• Like 1

Well done!

My boat will have a dune-beige deck and cockpit. To keep things simple and control costs it will have a vinyl rubrail vs. wood so I need a contrasting color on the upper strake.

I actually wanted dark green on my next boat and still could go that direction but then I'd be tempted to go with a tanbark or Egyptian cream sail.

16 hours ago, Autonomous said:

I suspect the very dark, almost black, blues need a bigger hull to look their best.

I think the dark dark blues look best when there is some bright work on deck to complement the rich tones.

The dark blue with red boot stripe and Bahamas blue bottom paint looks spectacular on a classic wood boat , and cheesy on my new to me J32.  Leopard skin looks great on a leopard and cheesy on sweatpants.