B and G Nemesis

nice little equipment. auto upwind/downwind selection is handy. been on 2 boats that had these installed. one with a triton setup and one with an H5000 setup.

best thing is the customizing of the screen layout. to focus on what's important. 

Lovely display when it worked, horrible when it didn't.  Would not display bearing to WP in mag, only true even when displaying the little "m" to supposedly indicate mag! Because it runs via ethernet, the comms protocol with H5000 is different and it never powers up in line with the H5000.  The display when dimmed too dark cannot be brought back to visible with out using a crappy I-phone app (that B&G did not know about until I questioned them how to get the display back!).  It is not water proof.  The display we used got installed in May 2021. About halfway to Hawaii it crapped out.  Note that there is still no user manual available.  So to soon for use I think.  Wait for version 3.0 and a manual.

If you want a display to be your Nemesis, this is the one to go with!

what’s the crappy iphone app? Our Nemesis has not displayed data from the h5000 since installation - ie it doesn’t work, so we are waiting for Navico to both explain and solve that - meanwhile we have data and no way to display it. Assuming they solve that it would be good to know how to sort the dimming as we aim to use it on overnight races

My understanding is there is no data processing/calculation smarts like old displays -  it just receives and displays data (which is what it only should do). The smarts is wifi connectivity, hotspot and that it will take data and determine which display layout to display - but you configure the display. So that is great conceptually and why in theory you need less display space because you display only the most relevant data to you based on point of sail or just preference. You can see that they are setting this to act like a tablet - ie download and install apps - so choose to display sailing data and at night you run netflix for your viewing pleasure. The screen is super high res - so think of a laptop 10 years ago to now and you get an idea of what the screen res is like to a traditional display like a 20/20. We made the decision when you get over the sticker price, that compared to say 3 30/20s and you display stuff they can’t and what you want , less space, wiring and power the cost premium  isn’t that bad. Well that’s assuming it can be made to work!

On 11/16/2021 at 6:32 PM, Hitchhiker said:

Because it runs via ethernet, the comms protocol with H5000 is different and it never powers up in line with the H5000.  The display when dimmed too dark cannot be brought back to visible with out using a crappy I-phone app (that B&G did not know about until I questioned them how to get the display back!).  It is not water proof.  The display we used got installed in May 2021. About halfway to Hawaii it crapped out.  Note that there is still no user manual available.  So to soon for use I think.  Wait for version 3.0 and a manual.

Interesting feedback! I have been looking at this but have trouble getting past the price, even as my older 20/20 displays are failing. At least when one of those fails, it's just the one and the other three keep going. I have had issues with B&G ethernet so I'm not excited about that. Not waterproof? How is that possible for a device intended to be mounted on a mast above deck? 

Oh, and the H5000 graphic displays and Zuse plotters have the same issue, if they are left set to night mode I can't see them in direct sunlight. Setting them back to bright is a major pain in the ass. 

On 11/17/2021 at 10:26 PM, Techtoy said:

what’s the crappy iphone app? Our Nemesis has not displayed data from the h5000 since installation - ie it doesn’t work, so we are waiting for Navico to both explain and solve that - meanwhile we have data and no way to display it. Assuming they solve that it would be good to know how to sort the dimming as we aim to use it on overnight races

Apologies. I mis stated about the crappy app.  You need to do an ip search for the nemesis device, then you can open a web page which gives you the ability to control the dimmer and switch the pages remotely IIRC.  It is a very limited page in functionality.  

I have long since left this boat so can’t give anymore first hand experience, other than the Nemesis was truly my Nemesis.

Now that said, when it was working, it worked rather well other than, the previously mentioned communications protocol issues.  You could display a lot of useful data to the cockpit team and visibility in day light was great. But, it has been released too soon, there is no user manual, no easy way to troubleshoot the glitches and even Navico’s top tech guys are struggling with the product.