Need search terms or links for mast leaking

I am looking at a 30 ft. ish wooden boat for sale.  Think stretched Thunderbird.  Ply/glass construction.  It is sitting on the hard, and at least without throwing some serious money at the craft, it is at a tipping point in its entropy.  Everything in good shape;  stored mast up, and thus usable without full re-rigging, on a trailer in a yard  with a free sling.  But anyone who has spent time around wooden boats knows that rainwater ingress is the nicotine that blights the lungs.   The standing mast is channeling rain water straight into the step.  And it has begun. The interior has the unmistakable smell of death's cold, winter rain-hands, laced with rot.  There was a sad little bucket, an inch of water or two , and a hand pump, and they pumped it before I showed up, for sure.  The seller is a very likable guy who is guilty of the illness known as optimism.  I am wondering what I might search to see about a solution.  From where I sit, the only real solution is to lower the mast and properly cover, or use the boat with such frequency that the bilge stays dry.  Raising and lowering a mast makes for some difficulty in a boat of this size and creates the angel-devil debate about whether it is worth it.  The mast steps through the cabin roof to the keelson--it is not going to be lowered by means of a jack or gin pole.   Not impossible to do (raise and lower the mast each trip), but it AIN'T going to be like our lug rigged 17' Herreshoff replica that comes in and out in 15 minutes  each way.  So... can someone show me some links or terms to search for a solution?  The boat does not leak from below the waterline.   It leaks from the mast, straight down to hell.   Durn.  

I'm guessing you're looking at Starbuck - the Black Soo for sale.

Anyway, there is a similar thread here in SA from just a few days ago: 

Might be worth a read - but consensus is that there is little or likely nothing you can do to stop leaks from a keel stepped mast. 

But there are a few tips to mitigate the issue.

6 hours ago, Coquina012 said:

I hear you.  The most likely offender is the slug channel, but I recognize is might be electrics or simply, the outside of the mast.  

Outside of the mast can usually be dealt with by some sort of seal at the partners. What really makes life difficult is the stuff running on the inside such as cables, halyards etc. It is basically impossible to prevent water Ingress through these.

What could help is creating a dedicated channel in the base of the mast or the mastfoot for the water to run out. This way at least you can control where the water and is draining. It is easier to take care of.

I think I understand what the boat needs.  But at the end of the day--perhaps this is why plywood seems to be a seldom used material for larger boats (20' and  up).  If you can't unstep the mast, sweet water is going to pool in a boat that is used twice a month.  Bummer.  

I am past the temptation point on this one.  Even if it were given to me, which deal I could work out, the solution is too much project over 9 million other projects I have going on.  The mast is aluminum with internal electrics, stepped to a stainless steel apron.  I don't know about spreaders, but it probably leaks there too, slightly.  It is fine work, and good materials.  Except...standing mast up in the rain for a year and a half.  The above suggestion of creating a drain is what it needs.