Action camera with NMEA data

Looking to upgrade my basic GoPro Hero setup to include some telemetry data (for crew training) and noticed that Garmin have discontinued the Virb product line that would've been the natural choice. 

There seem to be a few software products out there for overlaying .gpx files but I can't seem to find any way of integrating NMEA data such as TWA/AWA/VMG, as per the latter part of the video below. 

Does anyone have experience of exporting this info from B&G instruments (Zeus 3s) and overlaying it onto video? I know there have been a few threads over the last few years on this but can't find anything definitive saying it can be done. 

dare I suggest converting to SignalK and then just having that window next to the video window?

I guess the question is the use - are you trying to do this live, or is it for training etc afterwards in a classroom-like setting?

If it's the latter, then you could capture the streams in Signal-K along with any accompanying video, and then just replay them in sync later?

3 hours ago, Stigaro said:

Or just buy a Garmin VIRB on eBay. Seems to be several available.

I did some more digging and it looks like the Virbs don't sync with B&G kit over WiFi, only Garmin devices (and even then, sporadically), so it looks like the Virbs are off the list. 

What are you ultimately trying to accomplish?

you want basically what Sailnjord would give you?

so you need to capture video and synchronized N2k data.

You literally could record the screen of a laptop that has the right dashboard and is getting the video stream...

dashboard could be fed via N2k -> USB, similarly many of the action cams will stream via Wifi.  Then just record your screen...

31 minutes ago, SimonGH said:

What are you ultimately trying to accomplish?

you want basically what Sailnjord would give you?

so you need to capture video and synchronized N2k data.

You literally could record the screen of a laptop that has the right dashboard and is getting the video stream...

dashboard could be fed via N2k -> USB, similarly many of the action cams will stream via Wifi.  Then just record your screen...

Sorry, was halfway through responding to your earlier post when work got in the way...

SignalK looks great (I'd never heard of it before). I just need to harvest the logged data from the Zeus3s (if it logs all the N2K I'm after) and sync it with video from any action cam. I'm wondering whether a Raspberry Pi with Signal K on it, running off a USB N2K gateway, could log all N2K data and I could take the data away after each race.

The laptop filming is a nice idea but we frequently race in heavy weather and I'd prefer something cheap and cheerful like a Pi bouncing around down there!

Sounds like you need to solve the data puzzle before you start with video.

If you have a B&G H5000 system and windows laptop, you can log the data with a need little websocket logger tool - search AndyBryson WSLogger on Github.

If you don't you need to get a third party N2K datalogger - something like the YachtD N2K logger  There is already a forum topic H5000 Websocket Data logger that has info on this.

Next you need to look at the data you have logged and see what you want to show in the video.

Finally you want to get that data into a .srt file format (video subtitle file).  If you understand python, you can easily write a script that takes a .csv or .txt datalog file and converts it into a .srt file which will then play out in something like VLC media player.   If not you can do the same in Excel, it just takes longer.  Search .srt file example to see the format.  Its time consuming the first few times you do it, but after that its simple enough.

I've been playing with a Raspberry Pi 4 and this hat:

https://copperhilltech.com/pican-m-nmea-0183-nmea-2000-hat-for-raspberry-pi-with-smps/

it works perfectly with SignalK and then you can easily create dashboards.  

I'm trying to understand if there is a way to playback the logs to the dashboard, so you could easily "replay" data aligned with the video.

I don't have a wifi action camera, so not sure how you would get that data into the Raspberry Pi.

I guess the question is how much work you're willing to do after the event.  If you can collect the raw data and assemble it later on a laptop, that's probably the best case.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, SimonGH said:

I've been playing with a Raspberry Pi 4 and this hat:

https://copperhilltech.com/pican-m-nmea-0183-nmea-2000-hat-for-raspberry-pi-with-smps/

it works perfectly with SignalK and then you can easily create dashboards.  

I'm trying to understand if there is a way to playback the logs to the dashboard, so you could easily "replay" data aligned with the video.

I don't have a wifi action camera, so not sure how you would get that data into the Raspberry Pi.

I guess the question is how much work you're willing to do after the event.  If you can collect the raw data and assemble it later on a laptop, that's probably the best case.

Thanks Simon, I noticed that board as well. Looks perfect, and opens up the option for the Pi to act as both data logger and backup nav station (with a screen/keyboard).

I'm quite happy to do an hour's work after each race if it results in a video that proves useful during a team recap, and the plan would be to bring video and data together on my laptop, and then cast that to a meeting room screen. That way I don't have to bother rendering it or uploading to Youtube, just play it straight from the editor. 

I did a lot of this when I had Garmin instruments and a Virb. I still have the Virb, but I got a new boat that came with B&G. If I could convert the logged data to GMetrix I could make it all work. Maybe we need a tool to just convert the data to GMetrix. I keep meaning to find the GMetric format but, well, life gets in the way.

• Like 1