I Hate Bad Artwork Depicting Sailing!

If someone is going to stylize sailing in a painting or drawing, is it too much to ask that they do a bare minimum of research so it doesn't look ridiculous? This is from US SAILING, for chrisakes! The main is weird enough but WTF is up with that headsail? Tell us about this hot new panel layout! Nice luff tension, bro! Mainsheet eased but headsail strapped in. Does anybody look at these things before giving the go-ahead for publishing?

USSailing_2020_annual_report_image.thumb.png.337b6a4f77a81286550554991dbafd8f.png

• Like 8
  • Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow, that is bad as a standalone, but wait, there's more: Bonus points for the fact that this is the cover of the 2020 official annual report of the US sailing body. It is a pretty good exam

Its bad when some illustrator has no idea how a sailingboat really looks but its even worse when the yacht designer dosnt.

If someone is going to stylize sailing in a painting or drawing, is it too much to ask that they do a bare minimum of research so it doesn't look ridiculous? This is from US SAILING, for chrisakes! Th

Posted Images

Wow, that is bad as a standalone, but wait, there's more:

Bonus points for the fact that this is the cover of the 2020 official annual report of the US sailing body.

It is a pretty good example how far sport apparatchiks can be estranged from the sport they pretend to serve. 

• Like 11
1 hour ago, fastyacht said:

Never mind the headship--tahts just a Zfoil Phoyon Tunneling panel layout--redirecting photons so you can achieve eyestrain withcless Jeffery.

Thecothervquestion what o a this?

Screenshot_2021-11-14-06-34-41.png

That is the emergency exit ladder.

You know the old saying "You stay with the boat until you can step up into the life raft"

For when, you know, you collide with an air craft carrier due not paying attention while trying to trim the jib with the forestay being made out of stretchy nylon.

All perfectly normal...   ;<)

No explanation WTF is bolted to the back.  Looks like an garage ATV jack from Harbor Freight.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Foreverslow said:

That is the emergency exit ladder.

You know the old saying "You stay with the boat until you can step up into the life raft"

For when, you know, you collide with an air craft carrier due not paying attention while trying to trim the jib with the forestay being made out of stretchy nylon.

All perfectly normal...   ;<)

No explanation WTF is bolted to the back.  Looks like an garage ATV jack from Harbor Freight.

Fractal mistake. It is not even wrong. My neighbor's 7 year old kid can draw a better boat.

Harbor Freight would never advertise their product in such a slipshod way.

- DSK

7 minutes ago, sunseeker said:

US SAILING is so utterly out of touch with real racing sailors, and that’s really by design. They really only focus on training programs. Racing is an annoyance for the new President. 

Well we need to start an new organization. I have an idea! How about we call it the United States Yacht Racing Union!

• Like 7
5 hours ago, fastyacht said:

Never mind the headship--tahts just a Zfoil Phoyon Tunneling panel layout--redirecting photons so you can achieve eyestrain withcless Jeffery.

That's what I was wondering.

Some sort of repurposed boarding ladder?

Geez, guys!  The poor singlehanded racer on the report cover is trying to hoist his asym, and the tackline is wrapped around the sprit so it's not flying properly.  He's trying to turn the boat to reach off away from an approaching squall but had to leave the tiller to get to the halyard.  Plus, it's for 2020, so besides it being old news, Covid is keeping him from being able to tie up anywhere. Talk about angst!   The arched things are ROPS - a hot new idea that USS has picked up from their close collaboration with John Deere. All the new tractors have them - why not boats too?  

• Like 1

Same with USA Cycling.  They have every issue to resolve except promoting bike races (which is kinda their job and what we pay them $75 no, now 90 bucks each year to do. ). Just about to come to the conclusion, that with only two local races I can participate in, held in the last two years…I’ll keep my $90 and they can go on and solve social issues to their hearts content.  USA cycling…No races…No money.  

• Like 5
10 hours ago, fastyacht said:

That's the emergency exit ladder.

Australian Sailing is planning on mandating them for all boats, racing or not.  Exemptions will be available for boats 52' and over.  Exemptions will be automatic for boats over 80' and boats owned by previous office holders of SA.

• Like 3

/)/)/)____/)/)/)______ ][ ____(\(\____(\

Room at the mark!  

Or is it Starboard?

Anyway, something like this was on the cover of a rules handbook, many years ago….. :lol:  also posted as thread art on these here threads!

• Like 1
12 hours ago, fastyacht said:

All those arch thingies in the cockpit too….?  And the faucet :rolleyes: on the platter on a stick back there?  Unless all that is offshore rule driven.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Santana20AE said:

Same with USA Cycling.  They have every issue to resolve except promoting bike races (which is kinda their job and what we pay them $75 no, now 90 bucks each year to do. ). Just about to come to the conclusion, that with only two local races I can participate in, held in the last two years…I’ll keep my $90 and they can go on and solve social issues to their hearts content.  USA cycling…No races…No money.  

I ha c.f. ent been licensed since '97. I had lapsed a few years and the person gettimgvmevback up said "I found you over in the old AS400"

Hahaha I was already both a dino and a boat anchor

• Like 1
14 hours ago, sunseeker said:

US SAILING is so utterly out of touch with real racing sailors, and that’s really by design. They really only focus on training programs. Racing is an annoyance for the new President. 

I hope the sail trim shown in that artwork isn't what they're teaching in their training programs...

17 hours ago, Santana20AE said:

My dude.  

I raced bikes for a decade or so, promoted races amateur and pro (well, pro-am, there's no pro races but for the amateur cash cow).  While the race officials (commisaires) were beyond outstanding, USA Cycling was a horror show.  They couldn't effectively address doping, membership prices (and race sanctioning prices) (theoretically for rider insurance but largely for a few badly run national programs) kept shooting up, they tried and nearly killed off mountain biking, they ignore trackies... Gack!

I did that after playing rugby for 20 years, including playing at a pretty solid level overseas.  Rugby in the US at the top level appears to be getting worse, based on the >100 point shellacking the All Blacks gave the US  national team a couple weeks ago, and its recent losses to non-powerhouse meso-American teams.  Participation is up, athleticism of the players is up, there's more money to be had... the quality at the top is down.  US Rugby has been incompetently managed since I started playing in the mid-80's.  They harvested cash, hassled players, made it tough on club administrators, and went bankrupt last summer.  So much winning I'm sick of it. 

Aaaaaaaaaaand now I race sailboats.  FML.  

I need to take up another sport that's badly run before I wear out my welcome here... anybody got any ideas?   

• Like 3
17 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

pssst....ist froome 2020

:)

I can guarantee you, Chris Froome had nothing, and I do mean NOTHING to do with bad art work.  Unfortunately, his time as one of the truly elite cyclists appears to be past.  (Appears not “is”. Example, see Mark Cavendish, winner of four stages in the 2021 Tour de France after having been written off since 2016.  ).  (Oh, Chris’s last name si spelled Froome not Frome)

21A82A5A-2E9B-4FE2-B0EB-787C9A72E528.jpeg

75EF6AE4-6D3D-48A4-B1CD-52EDF2EEC162.jpeg

Back in the days of floppy drives, there was a program called jive.exe that made it's way around. It translated text into jive speak (or at least the creator's idea of jive speak). I'm hoping that somebody with more free time and ambition than me, can find the original code and convert it to Snagglese or create a new one. The text below is a translation of Ed's erudite prose from the FP by this site that seems to have copied the original jive program.  https://funtranslations.com/jive

Some elecshuns most certainly wuz not stolen and puh'haps some wuz. What it is, Mama. Right On! De incumbent Wo'ld Sailin', Kim Andersen wuz accused uh some numba' uh edical breaches durin' de run-waaay down t'last year’s Wo'd Sailin' Presidential elecshuns which impacted his campaign t'serve some second term. 'S coo', bro. Sheeit, de jury be now back in. 'S coo', bro. No comment – eyeball fo' yo'self. What it is, Mama. Right On! Pretty alleyetic dat some knode WS ass-kissa' had his daddy’s newsletta' quoted… I wonda' how de elecshun winna' be gettin' on wid deliverin' on his elecshun promises uh brin'in' huge sponso'ship deals t'de Wo'ld Sailin' table??   

• Like 1

I love bad sailing artwork.  Something to look at and ponder how other brains malfunction when when they attempt to translate something they saw first hand or in a photo, into what they think they saw.  It says much about how poor everyone's memory truly is.

• Like 4

No,  bad sailing art is one of the constants in life - precious few artists understand what it IS that they are looking at,  in regards to boats under sail and then they "Artistic Interpretation" the parts that they don't get,  which is most of it.

Seriously,  there's Jim DeWitt and Phil Uhl,  and darn-few others that don't just make a complete and total hash out of any spread of canvas - a long-held pet peeve of mine. 

On 11/14/2021 at 11:29 PM, Matagi said:

Wow, that is bad as a standalone, but wait, there's more:

Bonus points for the fact that this is the cover of the 2020 official annual report of the US sailing body.

It is a pretty good example how far sport apparatchiks can be estranged from the sport they pretend to serve. 

On 11/15/2021 at 1:14 AM, tane said:

US of A - explains a lot...

Mate, its US and A

Veryy nice

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Lex Teredo said:

My dude.  

I raced bikes for a decade or so, promoted races amateur and pro (well, pro-am, there's no pro races but for the amateur cash cow).  While the race officials (commisaires) were beyond outstanding, USA Cycling was a horror show.  They couldn't effectively address doping, membership prices (and race sanctioning prices) (theoretically for rider insurance but largely for a few badly run national programs) kept shooting up, they tried and nearly killed off mountain biking, they ignore trackies... Gack!

I did that after playing rugby for 20 years, including playing at a pretty solid level overseas.  Rugby in the US at the top level appears to be getting worse, based on the >100 point shellacking the All Blacks gave the US  national team a couple weeks ago, and its recent losses to non-powerhouse meso-American teams.  Participation is up, athleticism of the players is up, there's more money to be had... the quality at the top is down.  US Rugby has been incompetently managed since I started playing in the mid-80's.  They harvested cash, hassled players, made it tough on club administrators, and went bankrupt last summer.  So much winning I'm sick of it. 

I need to take up another sport that's badly run before I wear out my welcome here... anybody got any ideas?   

Gymnastics?

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Lex Teredo said:

My dude.  

Waterskiing.  They had thousand’s lining the banks at the pro tours.  (Been part of that crowd). Within a couple of years it went from couldn’t find a place to park at the tournaments to couldn’t find a tournament to watch.  USA waterskiing catered to its few Ultra Elite skiers (who coincidentally were not the top skiers in the pro tour but second tier skiers who  USA waterskiing seemed to be enamored with).  

It was all about “we got to get in the olympics, we got to get in the olympics, we got to get our super elites in the olympics.  Unfortunately, if you forget the base, make it all but impossible to ever qualify for anything other than a few Class “C” tournaments keeping the organization going gets kind hard, And for the skiers involved, its gets kind of old to sit back and watch the same five or so “elite” skiers get all the glory, all the gold and all the attention.  Especially when people like Wade Cox, Kristi Overton, Deena Mapple and Freddy Krueger all world record holders, master’s tournament winners and Pro Tour Champions are ignored because they are not three event skiers.  

Things may have changed but the days of thousands lining the banks at places like Champion Lake at Shreveport are long gone.  

Yes, that’s his real name Fredrick August Krueger Jr.  Still current world record holder in ski jumping at no less than 42 years of age and still winning tournaments, truly to the skiing world “the Nightmare of Elm Street. 

0603F07D-E320-4296-82BB-B2361DCA2D58.jpeg

• Like 6
2 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

That is an upside-down Rocna anchor.

I have one on my power boat. Great anchor. Worth the extra money.

IME they are in a class by themselves.

Understanding Sailing.

Brenda lea’s aunt painted me a picture of a two masted ship.  Her age was catching up on her and she never finished the painting.  Some of the ship’s hull’s perspective was not correct (my mother owned a sign printing shop and I fully understand perspective, especially when judging some of the “art” work that people presented us when looking for a job.) 

That said, the sails, the waves, the clouds, and the bone in the ships teeth, show so much of a person who understands the subject and understands how to paint it   Where she got this talent, this feeling of picturing this in her mind and moving that unto canvas, I do not know.  I strongly suspect, this aunt has possibly never seen an actual craft under sail.  

I have lived with people who want to be artists most of my life/. I see and have seen both commercial and fine art; good, bad and usually worse than terrible.  This Work of Art, This Painting, I will cherish for the rest of my life.  

I will try to reproduce this picture and present it next week.  

10 hours ago, Lex Teredo said:

My dude.  

You got nothin', No national organisations on earth can fuck up rugby and sailing like us Australians. You guys are just pretenders!

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, βhyde said:

Always thought Jame DeWitt did a pretty good job of not making sailing look ridiculous.

2419TwoBoatLengths36x36Oil5495.jpg&size=2370BlueChip20x15Gouache2995.jpg&size=30111841975_scaled_400x318.jpg

Makes a difference when the artist knows something about sailing.

https://www.mcssl.com/store/jimdewitt

How come the helmsman in the first one stands in the middle of the wheel like a clueless nubie?

52 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

How come the helmsman in the first one stands in the middle of the wheel like a clueless nubie?

Ha! Trick question. Helmsmen are always clueless.

Just kidding. The painting is titled "Two Boat Lengths," so he is probably taking a look under the jibby so he can get a better view of the impeding collision. 

• Like 6

Surprised no one picked up on this new leadership news from US Sailing – A new CMO? Does US Sailing need a CMO? What is this Procter & Gamble? Anyhow, a new CMO who is not a sailor in anyway and comes from the Rugby world? And a new head of membership programs, who thankfully has very deep roots in the sailing community.... in New Zealand. Were there no American citizens qualified (and willing) to take one of these leadership jobs with US Sailing? The shit-show at US Sailing continues. 

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Surprised no one picked up on this new leadership news from US Sailing – A new CMO? Does US Sailing need a CMO? What is this Procter & Gamble? Anyhow, a new CMO who is not a sailor in anyway and comes from the Rugby world? And a new head of membership programs, who thankfully has very deep roots in the sailing community.... in New Zealand. Were there no American citizens qualified (and willing) to take one of these leadership jobs with US Sailing? The shit-show at US Sailing continues. 

I saw that and had exactly the same thoughts. Fortunately, US Sailing is so worthless and ineffective it’s not worth talking about. 

I can't find it now, but was posted on this website in the past.  It was in a similar graphic art style like the first post, and it had the cockpit on the foredeck in front of the mast, with the captain facing backwards, under the jib.  For some reason I think it was an Asian image with kanji or something on it.  Anyone remember what I am talking about.  I think it was posted in the ugly boat thread and was in response to some center-cockpit abomination like the S2.

On 11/14/2021 at 6:49 AM, sunseeker said:

Have you talked to him about it? I feel like you're making an assumption here.