Watched the first few minutes, mainly because I've lived in Newport and Avalon.

First impression, way to much time focused on him, slow narrative, long pauses, holds up his Ipad and talks about navionics.

Jeeze give me something useful or intersting, even if it's just tits. I'm pretty sure other people have been there and a lot less tediously.

JMHO

6 minutes ago, Willin' said:

First impression, way to much time focused on him, slow narrative, long pauses, holds up his Ipad and talks about navionics.

Jeeze give me something useful or intersting, even if it's just tits. I'm pretty sure other people have been there and a lot less tediously.

JMHO

So it's tat for tit? 

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, Willin' said:

JMHO

Same here, seems like a nice guy but takes himself too seriously and apparently thinks a view of himself talking is fascinating. Don't show yourself talking about sailing, show sailing! I clicked at random thru it, watched about 4 minutes total.

Another JHMO

- DSK

Ive been drifting in/out with James for a bit and then the Dear John/rudder story dropped and I’ve been bingeing hard since.

The A30 looks cool.   He threw  himself in hard to get her refit properly.  Gets himself a crew and he’s heading out again.   He’s got fever.

He does something right. He has a ton of followers and lots of views. 

The thing is, a sailing youtube channel is really hard. Repairing and talking about shit like how you are going to repair it sells a lot better.

Yves Gelinas is a great guy! I once bought one of his Cape Horn windvanes and wrote a message to his company when I had a question. Within an hour I received a detailed answer from Yves himself! I have his DVD somewhere. 

The A30 is a solid boat (as Gelinas proved). 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, AnotherSailor said:

He does something right. 

The ‘paper accordion kite-camera trigger’ is quite clever.   Funny as well.

Did he come up with that or his photog buddy who gave him the kites?  Talk about ‘way back then….’

I've been watching this guy for a while.  He was more fun before his wife left him, oh, two or three months ago now.  He talks about it during his most recent passage from SF to Hilo; I'll try to find a link...

On 11/22/2021 at 2:46 PM, RogerC said:

I've been watching this guy for a while.  He was more fun before his wife left him, oh, two or three months ago now.  He talks about it during his most recent passage from SF to Hilo; I'll try to find a link...

Yea, saw that.  

Camille’s put a lot into those years from what the vids seem to say.  Is an A30 big enough for two?

16 hours ago, blunderfull said:

Yea, saw that.  

Camille’s put a lot into those years from what the vids seem to say.  Is an A30 big enough for two?

If you like each other, absolutely. Not so much if you don't like the way they open their eyes

On 11/22/2021 at 11:46 PM, RogerC said:

Didn't he sail to Waikiki? Or was his plan to sail to Hilo and the altered because of the rudder issue? 

He has perseverance, and figured out how to steer the boat to get more or less to where he wanted to go.

I thought something happened with a relationship, but I am not that bored that I can watch all of it. 

On 12/1/2021 at 1:32 AM, AnotherSailor said:

Didn't he sail to Waikiki? Or was his plan to sail to Hilo and the altered because of the rudder issue? 

He has perseverance, and figured out how to steer the boat to get more or less to where he wanted to go.

I thought something happened with a relationship, but I am not that bored that I can watch all of it. 

Right -who the hell cares about his wife/girlfriend or lack thereof?  He left her, she left him.  Done.

Re: drogue steering, an article he wrote about steering lost...and found for Flying Fish magazine, by the Ocean Cruising Club): https://liveicomgrshot.blob.core.windows.net/occfiles/ffarticles/72_23-32_FREDERICK.pdf

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

Hacksaw?

Yea, you could do that but, now how to remove shaft piece in head?  I’d try to save the old bronze one.

I’d jury rig a puller with 10# weight.   Bring boom over and up/down we go till busted knuckles or….  

I hate prying apart bronze impellers and motors.  Keep plenty of gas handy for the torch.

1 hour ago, blunderfull said:

Yea, you could do that but, now how to remove shaft piece in head?  I’d try to save the old bronze one.

I’d jury rig a puller with 10# weight.   Bring boom over and up/down we go till busted knuckles or….  

I hate prying apart bronze impellers and motors.  Keep plenty of gas handy for the torch.

Take the head to a machine shop and get them to get it out/bore it out. Much less chance of damaging the head and surrounding boat than applying brute strength on site.

3 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Take the head to a machine shop and get them to get it out/bore it out. Much less chance of damaging the head and surrounding boat than applying brute strength on site.

Probably so.

It’s part of what I do - disassembly of saltwater motors, pumps etc.   I got some tricks and some tools.   I like saving on the expense of a trip to the shop.  Keeps things interesting.   Bronze is soft - I go slow & easy with a lot of torque.  Keep it pretty.

6 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

2108249876_nomoreslop(cropped).png.c88653a208bfba955d91a6ceae1603e0.pngThat poor man's face suggests that something very unpleasant is being inserted up his rear entrance

It looks like he is holding a dipstick, maybe he was checking the fecal level.

2 hours ago, Ishmael said:

It looks like he is holding a dipstick, maybe he was checking the fecal level.

The engineer who gets all pissified explaining how he lost a race despite his massive forehead and glasses he’s worn since high school.

Chubby wife to boot.

2 hours ago, longy said:

Too expensive. I'd seal off the bottom of the rudder tube with clay & fill the tube with acid to clear out the interior growth.

Yea, he’s doing that now with vinegar. 

Watching the takedown of the old wooden one I’d say he might attempt installing new rudder in the water?