Austria has an interesting covid solution.

Just now, chum said:

To get herd immunity you'd have to get 95% (give or take-- that's what it took to get rid of Measles) of people immune at the same time-- either through recovering from COVID or vaccines.  95% at the same time. 

There's an echo in here.

Is Polio a problem in the US? Measles?

Are they completely gone?

9 minutes ago, Clove Hitch said:

Somebody else answered your bull shit. But let's explore you original question some- when did we give up on herd immunity.

Germany is currently 68% fully vaccinated and has more COVID now than at any time before.  The vast majority of cases are, of course, in unvaccinated.   But what does that tell us about the chance of herd immunity?   We know that all forms of COVID immunity wane with time.  To get herd immunity you'd have to get 95% (give or take-- that's what it took to get rid of Measles) of people immune at the same time-- either through recovering from COVID or vaccines.  95% at the same time. 

N O T    G O I N G   T O    H A P P E N.   

And, again, people like you are primarily the reason.   So, we have entered an era of COVID and it will be with us the rest of our lives.  So enjoy your

• mask wearing
  • vaccine passports
  • vaccine requirements for all kinds of things. 

Speaking of measles, it can cause "immunity amnesia", where your body loses its immune system memory for everything except measles. Scary. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://asm.org/Articles/2019/May/Measles-and-Immune-Amnesia&ved=2ahUKEwjSio-n6p30AhVdy4sBHYfzCYkQFnoECC4QAQ&sqi=2&usg=AOvVaw0Zm1n-4rfsK149XoiMPg5B

Sorry about that link, I'm working on a phone.

2 minutes ago, chum said:

And what about that pesky little recovering thing, seems that works as well, or better according to studies, but there's no mechanism for including that here is there. 

PUI?

Anyone else notice how the elk are ignoring their germanic friends approach to the recent covid surge?

And, just a guess, but are anti-CDC memes making the rounds today, now that the CDC has marked the next CPAC host as a covid hot-spot?

image.png.99bed87204bed50618e6fdb4c02748b5.png

2 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

Anyone else notice how the elk are ignoring their germanic friends approach to the recent covid surge?

And, just a guess, but are anti-CDC memes making the rounds today, now that the CDC has marked the next CPAC host as a covid hot-spot?

image.png.99bed87204bed50618e6fdb4c02748b5.png

Excellent choice for a Covid holiday. 

• Like 1

As usual, content free. no answers just snipes. Incidentally, Africa is on my bucket list. but you’re way way better off hoping I die from driving. 

Have fun at CPAC.

1 minute ago, chum said:

Still waiting for an apology about the over reporting thing, an anaylisis of the leaky virus thing and it’s effect long term, and the herd immunity question regarding the need for 95% vax/ recovered rate, and the last one about the mechanism for including recent recovered in the calculation.

Wow! That's a gutsy call there, chum. You're likely to get a FakeDoctor analysis anaylisis in reply.

1 minute ago, chum said:

Not according to the dictionary, where do you get your definition?

im·mu·ni·ty
/iˈmyo͞onədē/

noun
noun: immunity
  1. the ability of an organism to resist a particular infection or toxin by the action of specific antibodies or sensitized white blood cells.
    "immunity to typhoid seems to have increased spontaneously"

Similar:
    resistance to

resilience to

nonsusceptibility to

lack of susceptibility to

protection from

ability to fight off

ability to withstand

ability to counteract

defenses against

immunization against

inoculation against

Opposite:
    susceptibility to
    • protection or exemption from something, especially an obligation or penalty.
      plural noun: immunities
      "the rebels were given immunity from prosecution"

• officially granted exemption from legal proceedings.
    • lack of susceptibility, especially to something unwelcome or harmful.

So, going for Pedantic Asshole of the week, are we?

7 minutes ago, chum said:

Not according to the dictionary, where do you get your definition?

im·mu·ni·ty
/iˈmyo͞onədē/

noun
noun: immunity
  1. the ability of an organism to resist a particular infection or toxin by the action of specific antibodies or sensitized white blood cells.
    "immunity to typhoid seems to have increased spontaneously"

• protection or exemption from something, especially an obligation or penalty.
      plural noun: immunities
      "the rebels were given immunity from prosecution"

• officially granted exemption from legal proceedings.
    • lack of susceptibility, especially to something unwelcome or harmful.

You on cheaper drugs today than usual?

This is EXACTLY what the vaccine does.

- DSK

Just now, chum said:

You haven’t heard about breakthrough infections and vaccinated people spreading virus I guess?

Imagine if all vaccines were 100% effective. Imagine!

3 minutes ago, chum said:

You haven’t heard about breakthrough infections and vaccinated people spreading virus I guess?

You haven't heard about science, I guess.

It's different from magic, it's different from angels winging any virus away from ever touching you.

Read your own definition: PROVIDES RESISTANCE not a completely perfect bulletproof shield... 100% imperviousness like your skull.

How many previous vaccines do you question?

- DSK

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, chum said:

I don’t do drugs, And I quit drinking beer in an effort to be a better example for my teenagers. Now what?

I’d say you should get vaccinated if you want to be a better example for your kids.  OTOH some kids who’s dumb fuck parents died from Covid are probably better off.

10 minutes ago, chum said:

Should I stop driving too? my risks are much much much higher for dying or being hospitalized for that.

The old reason I was supposed to get it was was to protect you, but now we know that doesn't work, herd immunity is out the window apparently for various reasons. 

How am I mistaken?

You should definitely stop driving.

“We” know the vaccines are incredibly effective.  If 95% of people were vaccinated very few people would be dying of Covid.  Psychopaths like you are why Covid will linger on killing off the elk and the elderly.  I get a grim satisfaction when dumbfucks like you die. Maybe you’ll get in a car crash and contract a severe case of Captain Trips.  One can hope.

16 minutes ago, chum said:

Should I stop driving too? my risks are much much much higher for dying or being hospitalized for that.

The old reason I was supposed to get it was was to protect you, but now we know that doesn't work, herd immunity is out the window apparently for various reasons. 

How am I mistaken?

All of it. The vaccines definitely work, they definitely protect those around you.

Where you fail is in thinking "It's not Fuckin'-A PERFECT, therefor it is worthless" which is a common RWNJ theme.

- DSK

40 minutes ago, chum said:

That right there are some really shitty math skillz at work. 

6 minutes ago, chum said:

So, to sum it up...

1. Herd immunity is not the goal according to the CDC.

2. Herd immunity was not attainable unless 95% of the world population was recovered or vaccinated at the same time.

3. There was no mechanism for tracking healthy people who got it and recovered (99%+?). (see #2)

4. #3 means we had to vaccinate everybody regardless of need or recovered status, necessitating vastly more vaccine to accomplish the original goal.

5. According to experts on the matter, there is a great risk of mutation into a more virulent strain because it's not effective enough. The Polio vaccine, by comparison, is 100% effective when fully vaccinated, that's why polio has been eradicated.

6. People in the risk group should be vaccinated, it's (currently) highly effective at preventing serious illness and death. Those who can't and are at risk should take appropriate measures as would any immunocompromised person.

7. Because of #1, it becomes a personal choice left to the recipient of the Emergency Use Authorized injections as to whether they're necessary.

7. I'm never going to get an apology for the 25% over reporting, dying with covid,  thing that I brought up from personal experience.

Did I forget anything?

You forgot to mention the bleach, hydroxy and the horse paste but you get an A+ for the BS about 25% over reporting of Covid deaths.  That’s pure Trumpaloon.

7 minutes ago, chum said:

So, to sum it up...

1. Herd immunity is not the goal according to the CDC.

2. Herd immunity was not attainable unless 95% of the world population was recovered or vaccinated at the same time.

3. There is/was no mechanism for tracking healthy people who got it and recovered (99%+?). (see #2)

4. #3 means we had to vaccinate everybody regardless of need or recovered status, necessitating vastly more vaccine to accomplish the original goal.

5. According to experts on the matter, there is a great risk of mutation into a more virulent strain because it's not effective enough. The Polio vaccine, by comparison, is 100% effective when fully vaccinated, that's why polio has been eradicated.

6. People in the risk group should be vaccinated, it's (currently) highly effective at preventing serious illness and death. Those who can't and are at risk should take appropriate measures as would any immunocompromised person.

7. Because of #1, it becomes a personal choice left to the recipient of the Emergency Use Authorized injections as to whether they're necessary.

8. I'm never going to get an apology for the 25% over reporting, dying with covid,  thing that I brought up from personal experience.

Did I forget anything?

Better check with snowflake/dumbass "Kate Short For Bob" who is currently getting strapped about being an even bigger dumbass about sailing, but has been a covid-denier/anti-vax dumbass for almost a year here. Most of the above list is bullshit pretty much identical to Wofsey/KSFB's

I don't waste my time trying to persuade RWNJ dumbasses out of their folly.

- DSK

27 minutes ago, chum said:

So, to sum it up...

1. Herd immunity is not the goal, according to the CDC.

3. There is/was no mechanism for tracking healthy people who got it and recovered (99%+?). (see #2)

7. Because of #1, it becomes a personal choice left to the recipient of the Emergency Use Authorized injections as to whether they're necessary for them or their kids.

8. I'm never going to get an apology for the insults I got about the 25% over reporting, dying with covid, thing that I brought up from personal experience.

Did I forget anything?

accuracy.

33 minutes ago, chum said:

So, to sum it up...

1. Herd immunity is not the goal, according to the CDC.

TFG fucked the pooch on this one

Incorrect, we have heard immunity to polio, yet it still exists in some locations

Irrelevant

Also irrelevant and based on a false assumption

mis-stated. Chickens might make a more lethal chicken virus. Not proven to be applicable to humans and Covid, and ignores the greater risk of the unvaxxed cooking up super bugs

Pretty much everyone is at risk. Including my 18 year old (no co-morbidity, straight A, UC SB student now withdrawn from school due to long covid) son of a friend

7. Because of #1, it becomes a personal choice left to the recipient of the Emergency Use Authorized injections as to whether they're necessary for them or their kids.

mistated lie

8. I'm never going to get an apology for the insults I got about the 25% over reporting, dying with covid, thing that I brought up from personal experience.

you lie, why would we apologize?

Did I forget anything?

2 minutes ago, Danceswithoctopus said:

Thank you. Your candor is appreciated.

EDIT: Your candor is appreciated by me. (I don't speak for PA.) :)

The rights use of the term EUA is similar to their use of the term "Theory" of Evolution. They think it means some sort of non-tested, non-proven scientific result. Which, of course, is incorrect.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, chum said:

According to the National Safety Council, the chances of dying from a motor vehicle crash is 1 in 103. What contributes to these motor vehicle fatalities? The leading factors contributing to car accident fatalities include: Speeding.

So my risk of of death is 4 in 103?

Pull the real cite so we can show you how wrong you are on interpreting that 1 in 103.

There's no fucking way that we are losing 3m+ people to road kill every year. 

7 hours ago, chum said:

Vaccine: a substance used to stimulate the production of antibodies and provide immunity against one or several diseases, prepared from the causative agent of a disease, its products, or a synthetic substitute, treated to act as an antigen without inducing the disease.

Full Definition of immunity

the quality or state of being immuneespecially : a condition of being able to resist a particular disease especially through preventing development of a pathogenic microorganism or by counteracting the effects of its products

To start with, it’s beginning to look like it doesn’t fit the definition of vaccine. It leaks, it does not provide immunity, and vaxxed people spread it. Where does that end? There are some immunologists that know better than anyone here that say we’re creating a super virus that will mutate not to respond at all, because of the leaks. Much like not taking the whole prescribed course of medication can cause the same thing with current pathogens.
As for mandatory lockdowns, the only thing I can say is if you’re scared, stay home. Lock yourself down.

Well…I guess thanks for that regurgitated info. I was asking about comparing trivial COVID policies vs. government’s power to send you to die on a distant beach. War is often far less effective than the vaccine, ya know. 

Just now, chum said:

Sorry, page 1 google again.

So, you think we lose 3 millions people a year to car deaths?  You're that gullible?

Wait, of course you are.  What was I thinking.

as usual the devil is in the details ......................

once the pragmatic arguments are done , reality is 

your quality of life WILL be better IF you are vaccinated .

And that’s every time you drive! The covid stats are deaths to date. Very different.

I can’t tell, are your stats for everyone, or those at risk. If you don’t drive, you’re not at risk, see?

edit: this one says 30,000 a year wtf!? https://injuryfacts.nsc.org/all-injuries/preventable-death-overview/odds-of-dying/

ok, so you're confusing lifetime cause of death (1 in 107) in a transport crash

with

1 in X "annually" for Covid, where X depends on your age 

Now, unless you only live for 1 year, they are not comparable statistics. 

1 minute ago, chum said:

Ok, we’re talking apples and oranges. Your odds of dying in a car wreck are about 1 in 100 every time you drive. That does not equate to 1 in 100 people dying.

No, they are not. Your odds of dying IN YOUR WHOLE LIFE due to a car crash, 1 in 100.

That means every time you step into a car, the rate is fucking tiny.

Just now, chum said:

Nope, that’s every time you drive, according to the source.

No, it's not. If the odds of dying in a wreck were 1 in 100 everytime you stepped in a car, no one would drive. On average, you'd be dead in 100 days. 

You should stop while you're behind. 

The odds of dying in a car crash are one in 107. Roughly speaking, you have a less than 1% chance of dying in a car crash during your daily drive.

But this statistic does not tell the whole story. Many variables increase your risk of dying in a car crash. For example, your age, gender, and driving habits affect the likelihood that you will be killed in a car accident.

Dude, it’s 1 in 107 during your entire life, not during your daily drive. Just cause the writer wrote something in a shitty way, doesn’t make it true.

Just now, chum said:

Ok, then, just to move on for the sake of arguing let’s say that true. What are my odds of dying of covid in my lifetime?

You can look that up I’m sure. 

but for the car crash, read the title of the graph “lifetime” is in bold and the first word…

image.thumb.png.be67b8bebeae11cef1dafd341009256a.png

8 minutes ago, chum said:

Why is that, considering what we know?

What DO we know?

I mean, the information about whether the vaccines are still under Emergency Authorization is readily available, yet:

41 minutes ago, chum said:

I don’t know if it is or is not still under that status, I do know it is for kids.

39 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

The rights use of the term EUA is similar to their use of the term "Theory" of Evolution. They think it means some sort of non-tested, non-proven scientific result. Which, of course, is incorrect.

Thanks for the opportunity, Raz'r.

Okay, here goes: That should have been "Right's" (with an apostrephie).

There, am I on the Pedantic Asshole of the week candidate list now?

Hmm another cite, another author typo? Of course these are lawyers so we know the bs potential is high... but

POSTED ON JULY 23, 2021

You may have heard some of the statistics about drivers and getting into a car crash. However, while you may know the chances of getting into an accident, do you know the odds of dying in a car crash? A recent study suggests that you have 1 in 107 odds of dying in a car crash during your daily commute. That may seem like a high chance, but there are some things that you can do to help reduce the odds and keep the cards in your favor. As a California car accident attorney, we see several clients who did the right things to minimize their injuries and walk away from crashes.

Hahahahaha. Really? Just think about it. We’d all be dead, on average, in 107 days. Maybe the world would be better off

Just now, Danceswithoctopus said:

Thanks for the opportunity, Raz'r.

Okay, here goes: That should have been "Right's" (with an apostrephie).

There, am I on the Pedantic Asshole of the week candidate list now?

Yes!

• Like 1
Just now, chum said:

Shut the fuck up or contribute something of substance. Actually, don’t, you’re showing the depth of your stupid here on full display.

You’ve yet to bring anything substantive to the discussion but that’s par for the course among trolls.

4 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

So what are my chances of being struck by lightning while being attacked by a great white shark?

In Oklahoma?   Just trying to help the helpless here.

In your lifetime, or each time you step in the pool?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Fakenews said:

You’ve yet to bring anything substantive to the discussion but that’s par for the course among trolls.

He can't even decide if I am supposed to shut the fuck up or not.  Oh well, chum isn't my type anyway (since I am typing and shutting up has nothing to do with typing). 

5 minutes ago, chum said:

I don’t think you understand all the variables. Math is hard huh.

Dude, please. Some ambulance chaser fucks up their advertisement and you fall for it. Change your handle to “gullible”.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, chum said:

You asked, I answered, what’s the point?

You asked Mid why it is okay that unvaccinated people are being restricted on what they do and where they can go, “based on what we know”.

I ask you what it is that we do know. You’re admittedly not up to date as to the status of the vaccines, so I’m wondering what information it is that “we know” (assuming the collective “We” you referenced yesterday). Absent that, your question to Mid is pointless.

But I can understand the confusion at this point, given the chaotic interactions here in the past few minutes.

11 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

Dude, please. Some ambulance chaser fucks up their advertisement and you fall for it. Change your handle to “gullible”.

Not content to demonstrate his stupidity with his posts, Chum shows us he is gullible as well.   

11 minutes ago, chum said:

I already did, with someone who knows statistics. I can assure you they are vastly higher of dying in an accident, not anywhere near 1 in 100 in my lifetime.

Why don’t you do just a tiny bit of math. Compare the deaths in one year from Covid vs auto accidents. You’ll see Covid is a factors of 10+ accidents. Now, will that rate continue? No. Even with the anti-vaxxed, treatments will get better and I hope we can manage the risk of Covid to be a factor less than auto-crashes.

2 hours ago, chum said:

The old reason I was supposed to get it was was to protect you, but now we know that doesn't work, herd immunity is out the window apparently for various reasons because there are enough jackasses that we can't get to 95% immunization rate. 

FIFY

11 minutes ago, chum said:

What do you disagree with in my summary as a nurse fresh out of school. Speaking of gullible, what about that apology? You’re the one who bought into that shit...

What are you talking about?  You seem incapable of posting a simple fact.  Ask somebody in your house to tell you if water is wet and write down exactly what they say.   Re-education camps is really the only thing for you Trump 'tards

4 minutes ago, chum said:

Try to keep up, the stat is around 90%, probably from lack of availability. It’s tough to refuse what you aren’t offered.

rhetorical

[ ri-tawr-i-kuhl, -tor- ]
1) (of a question) asked in order to produce an effect or to make a statement rather than to elicit information.
9 minutes ago, Nice! said:

You’re calling the whole continent of Africa jackasses?

Has the continent of Africa refused to get vaccinated?

Apparently Chum has decided to go full-throttle RWNJ covid-denial/anti-vax whackadoodle.

Don't waste your time trying to teach the pig to sing. He can't figure out a simple dictionary definition of an every day word, what are the chances of him being better at math than Wofsey?

- DSK

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, chum said:

My work here is done, goodnight gentlemen, and everybody else.

Yes, you’ve proved yourself both gullible and terrible at simple math, let alone a google-fu failure.