@EYESAILOR here's that thread...

This is a thread to elicit links to reputable and valid rapid home covid test products.

The focus is on US availability and experience using the products but other availability is welcomed, just specify where available or used. 

Reason for my interest is "lateral flow" seem widely used but I had no idea how that type relates to what's available over the counter in US. 

I'm interested in snagging some for when we ever do go to crowded places or pre-travel so I know before I get on the plane that my 3:day old test was overtaken by events 

Thanks.

The full name is "lateral flow immunochromatographic assay for the detection of extracted nucleocapsid protein antigens" 

You will probably get a blank stare if you ask your Walgreen check out assistant for that.

In the US they are usually called:

Rapid Antigen tests.

Antigen Home Tests

and less commonly Lateral Flow Tests.

It is very easy. The kit comes with a small swab, a small tube with reagent and a test cartridge about 2 inches long.  Thoroughly swab both nostrils.  Put the swab in the reagent. Stir, Squeeze swab . Remove swab. Close tube and shake. Place 2-4 drops (depends on manufacturer) of reagent into the cartridge. Wait 15 minutes and you get your result.  Obviously read the instructions that come with the kit carefully.

CVS carries 2 tests which you can buy online. BinaxNow from Abbot Labs .  I havent used Binax. Abbot are obviously very reputable. Looked a little clunky compared to some. Someone who has used Binax can comment. Quickvue is carried at many pharmacies .  Unlike others it doesnt use a cartridge

Walgreens also carries tests.

They can be bought online from office and medical suppliers like Sunline Supply

The BD Veritor test kit. looks very well designed. I would not expect anything less from BD (Bector Dickerson) who are very reputable med tech company. It is available from Amazon

Amazon offer a range of tests

The lateral flow tests are less accurate than the molecular PCR tests but they are quick, relatively inexpensive and easy to use.  It is easy to incorporate them in your everyday weekly routine.

• Like 2

Thanks for this. It is really helpful, particularly for those of us who are having to resume travel.

Althouhg I have nothing to add at this point, I am very interested in this topic as well.

1 hour ago, EYESAILOR said:

The full name is "lateral flow immunochromatographic assay for the detection of extracted nucleocapsid protein antigens" 

You will probably get a blank stare if you ask your Walgreen check out assistant for that.

In the US they are usually called:

Rapid Antigen tests.

Antigen Home Tests

and less commonly Lateral Flow Tests.

It is very easy. The kit comes with a small swab, a small tube with reagent and a test cartridge about 2 inches long.  Thoroughly swab both nostrils.  Put the swab in the reagent. Stir, Squeeze swab . Remove swab. Close tube and shake. Place 2-4 drops (depends on manufacturer) of reagent into the cartridge. Wait 15 minutes and you get your result.  Obviously read the instructions that come with the kit carefully.

CVS carries 2 tests which you can buy online. BinaxNow from Abbot Labs .  I havent used Binax. Abbot are obviously very reputable. Looked a little clunky compared to some. Someone who has used Binax can comment. Quickvue is carried at many pharmacies .  Unlike others it doesnt use a cartridge

Walgreens also carries tests.

They can be bought online from office and medical suppliers like Sunline Supply

The BD Veritor test kit. looks very well designed. I would not expect anything less from BD (Bector Dickerson) who are very reputable med tech company. It is available from Amazon

Amazon offer a range of tests

The lateral flow tests are less accurate than the molecular PCR tests but they are quick, relatively inexpensive and easy to use.  It is easy to incorporate them in your everyday weekly routine.

We used the Binax recently as a precaution. Easy and seemed accurate.  Available at Walgreens.  Two tests for about $25.

Hroth

40 minutes ago, hrothgar said:

We used the Binax recently as a precaution. Easy and seemed accurate.  Available at Walgreens.  Two tests for about $25.

Hroth

During our trip to the UK, rapid antigen testing seemed to have become part of everyday life for many people. When we were invited over to dinner , we were asked to take a test by the hosts before arriving.  We picked up a kit (for free in the UK) at the local drug store and went to dinner knowing that our hosts and the other guests had all tested that afternoon or evening.

The test can provide a false negative, but I figure that if the virus is not present in the nostrils, the virus is probably not shedding aggressively, so the risk of infection is low. 

One of the guest's school age son had caught Covid the previous month. Because the whole family tested regularly twice a week, they identified it immediately, isolated the son and none of the rest of the family were infected. 

I was quite impressed by the culture and social mores that have started to build up around testing.  I resolved to bring some of those lessons home and ordered a bulk order of tests for our home. If we get a surge again locally, this Fall or Winter, I will ask guests to test when they come over and we will test ourselves at home 2x a week..  I have previously been tested at work but very infrequently and I am going to increase that.

I think that rapid antigen tests need to come down in price in the USA and I hope they do.  Many health plans cover them without a deductible.

• Like 1

They had a sign for them at my Safeway but the nose peeper pharmacy tech said you need a prescription. Didn’t argue. This is the place that turned away a man wanting a booster for being under 65, no other questions asked. Was subject of prior rant. I now carry my state's booster guide to had over if I ever see this again.

Amazon here I come. 

Some (most?) health insurance providers will mail you one for free: might come in handy to prove your ongoing status if you got up at zero dark thirty to volunteer only to be assailed by an overwrought values validating covifascist. Ask me how I know. Not doing that again.

I also heard that some of the drive through testing sites might give you a test at home kit for free if you ask for one when getting tested.

• 2 weeks later...

My library provides free Abbot RA test kits and a web portal for ‘official help and interpretation’.   It’s been useful for screening employees at work.   I’m not sure if the county or state health departments organized it.   I’m willing to bet it’s federal money.   

• Like 1
3 hours ago, EYESAILOR said:

I got 3 bags of M&Ms from Walgreens.....the "Share" size.

We find that the “family share” size Hershey Kisses goes well with a L’Ecole Cab, Ferguson Vineyard.  Extensive testing.  M&Ms a bit to sweet. YMMV.  

Time to don n95’s, carry wipes, and go grocery shopping….:mellow:

On 11/17/2021 at 2:22 AM, EYESAILOR said:

During our trip to the UK, rapid antigen testing seemed to have become part of everyday life for many people. When we were invited over to dinner , we were asked to take a test by the hosts before arriving.  We picked up a kit (for free in the UK) at the local drug store and went to dinner knowing that our hosts and the other guests had all tested that afternoon or evening.

The test can provide a false negative, but I figure that if the virus is not present in the nostrils, the virus is probably not shedding aggressively, so the risk of infection is low. 

One of the guest's school age son had caught Covid the previous month. Because the whole family tested regularly twice a week, they identified it immediately, isolated the son and none of the rest of the family were infected. 

I was quite impressed by the culture and social mores that have started to build up around testing.  I resolved to bring some of those lessons home and ordered a bulk order of tests for our home. If we get a surge again locally, this Fall or Winter, I will ask guests to test when they come over and we will test ourselves at home 2x a week..  I have previously been tested at work but very infrequently and I am going to increase that.

I think that rapid antigen tests need to come down in price in the USA and I hope they do.  Many health plans cover them without a deductible.

They've started selling them at our local pharmacies. $26 for a two pack.

Pharmacist said they are 80% as reliable as the throat nasal swab tests but only to be used as a precaution, if you have any symptoms or positive exposure. Get tested properly.

2 hours ago, ShortForBob said:

They've started selling them at our local pharmacies. $26 for a two pack.

Pharmacist said they are 80% as reliable as the throat nasal swab tests but only to be used as a precaution, if you have any symptoms or positive exposure. Get tested properly.

Sounds about right. I was directly exposed again, then developed most of the cool symptoms. I decided to try one of the test kits while waiting for the PCR results required by work. Symptoms began on Wednesday  and that’s when I took the first test in the kit. Positive. On Thursday I took the second test, negative. Waiting for the PCR to settle the tiebreaker. 

If you do want the kits though, I suggest you plan ahead and order them online. They’ve become the next “toilet paper” in many areas. I tried every pharmacy in my city and all were sold out. Even online is often backordered. 

10 hours ago, Monkey said:

Sounds about right. I was directly exposed again, then developed most of the cool symptoms. I decided to try one of the test kits while waiting for the PCR results required by work. Symptoms began on Wednesday  and that’s when I took the first test in the kit. Positive. On Thursday I took the second test, negative. Waiting for the PCR to settle the tiebreaker. 

If you do want the kits though, I suggest you plan ahead and order them online. They’ve become the next “toilet paper” in many areas. I tried every pharmacy in my city and all were sold out. Even online is often backordered. 

And the tiebreaker was…. a false positive. I suppose if the test is going to err, better to err on the side of caution. 

I think the non-availability of testing in the US is a bloody crime.  It must surely be contributing to some of the problems.  And as for tracking?  What?

I do a free nasal test every Wednesday, the only day it's offered, outside the Palo Alto City Hall.  Nothing much else is available at all.

Test kits at the pharmacy?  Don't make me laugh.  Permanently out of stock.

On 12/4/2021 at 8:33 PM, P_Wop said:

I think the non-availability of testing in the US is a bloody crime.  It must surely be contributing to some of the problems.  And as for tracking?  What?

I do a free nasal test every Wednesday, the only day it's offered, outside the Palo Alto City Hall.  Nothing much else is available at all.

Test kits at the pharmacy?  Don't make me laugh.  Permanently out of stock.

Your health car insurance provider (not the actual care provider, but the insurers) will / may mail you a free at home test. Mine came the other day.

Jan 2022 expiration date on it: I'm sure it will get used before then!

20211204_184123.thumb.jpg.a7a38afe438673d468f74eedfaca4589.jpg